Gold: the Bull's thread

drbubb

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi ETF,

Which silver coins do you favour?

I will just be asking for the lowest price per oz of silver content - I do not want coins with much rarity premium. If you recall I fear deflation as much as high/hyperinflation. I will be at the mercy of the dealer on this one - but the coins will only make up a small portion of my holdings. Perhaps I'm overconfident, but considering the amount of money I'm spending on gold / silver bars, It's not worth his while giving me a poor deal on a few coins!!!!

Do you use Baird's?

Try the silverxchange. Brilliant prices, excellent service, no VAT. I have ordered several times without any issues. The packages are marked as bronze medals so customs so far have just let them through.

As an added bonus I get them delivered to my work and some colleagues have been buying a few 10z bars off me. Spreading the word and making me a few quid too.

If you do order PM me and I will give you my name as a referrer if that adds confidence.

Try the silverxchange. Brilliant prices, excellent service, no VAT. I have ordered several times without any issues. The packages are marked as bronze medals so customs so far have just let them through.

As an added bonus I get them delivered to my work and some colleagues have been buying a few 10z bars off me. Spreading the word and making me a few quid too.

If you do order PM me and I will give you my name as a referrer if that adds confidence.

Can you add a link, it wasn't obvious to me what website you are talking about. does the company know to disguise the packages so as not to have customs take an interest in it from a VAT point of view. A couple of years back I bought some junk silver bags and added a 100oz bar to see what would happen, no VAT was charged, but my dealer said afterwards that fedex were trying to figure out if thay should have charged VAT, so I didn't push my dealer to get me more bars without charging VAT.

Can you add a link, it wasn't obvious to me what website you are talking about. does the company know to disguise the packages so as not to have customs take an interest in it from a VAT point of view. A couple of years back I bought some junk silver bags and added a 100oz bar to see what would happen, no VAT was charged, but my dealer said afterwards that fedex were trying to figure out if thay should have charged VAT, so I didn't push my dealer to get me more bars without charging VAT.

[/quoted

http://www.thesilverxchange.com

The packages are'nt disguised per se but just marked as low value. No troubles to date and worst case scenario is you just get hit for the VAT

The other great thing about the site is you can pay by credit card. Far easier than wire transfers

Guest Amature Investor

After getting to 607 (for a few milliseconds) on Friday, gold is going up again this morning. Is that the august bottom for this year? or people expect more pronounced and longer lasting bottoms yet?

Thanks for replies,

Amature Investor

My view - and if you look at my calls on this board they have been consistently rubbish - is that some time over the next fortnight gold is going to touch the 200dma, at about 580, maybe even the 252 dma - about 560. I was hoping it would touch its major resistence at 480-90, but that looks unlikely now.

But don't listen to me.

On recent form, gold is a buy below 600 and a sell above 650.

My view - and if you look at my calls on this board they have been consistently rubbish - is that some time over the next fortnight gold is going to touch the 200dma, at about 580, maybe even the 252 dma - about 560. I was hoping it would touch its major resistence at 480-90, but that looks unlikely now.

But don't listen to me.

On recent form, gold is a buy below 600 and a sell above 650.

This is reasonable, whatever price gold is at the end of Aug buy some (unleveraged) , the last couple of % doesn't matter, also remember the $ is weak at the moment so the € or GBP price is probably pretty good at the moment.

I havent given up hope of seeing sub $600 just yet, although i agree it is frustrating to see these mini rallies happening. I am looking to get back into ML G&G after selling in mid July.

Interesting to note the the fund price has remained fairly flat and hasnt responded directly to the rises and falls in the gold price

I think we just have to patient! B)

(...and fingers firmly crossed)

AUGUST LOW NEAR?

This chart of GLD, the GOLD etf ... update

bigxc4.gif

...suggests that the August low I have been looking for may be near.

If Gold can hold near $600 or above until month-end, the Low may be in.

I will be putting together my own "watch List" for Junior miners.

Suggestions are welcome

The major threat for gold bulls including myself, over the next few weeks, is probably the oil price. They showed a chart on bloomberg today showing the correlation between gold and oil over the last year or two. The correlation is pretty close.

If middle east peace holds (ish), the Iran nuclear situation fizzles (NB, that's "nuclear", Dubya, not "nucular"!!) and hurricane season passes without major damage, then $60 oil seems likely. Anyone care to speculate if this bearish force would be fully offset by the oncoming seasonal strength in gold demand?

ye might enjoy this

http://www.jsmineset.com/

Posted On: Monday, August 21, 2006, 5:20:00 PM EST

A Free Put From Jim

Author: Jim Sinclair

“Anyone buying on a scale down with a limit up to 200 one ounce gold coins (approximately$126,000USD) starting from this evening’s gold price close, I am offering a FREE PUT at your average in price for the balance of 2006, starting from the last trading day of September 2006. This is for 10% of your intended position for each ten dollar drop, should it occur, evenly spread between now and the last day of September.”

-Jim Sinclair

I am NOT recommending any particular coin dealer. Use your own or find a new one

No person or company is joining me in this FREE PUT. This is between you and I.

As well as putting some money into gold ETFs and funds, I'm looking to take hold of some physical gold coins.

The U.S. mint are selling 1oz proof gold "buffalo" coins at a fixed price of $800.

It seems like a good deal to me (I'd be planning on holding these for at least 2 years, maybe longer).

Could anyone with a little more knowledge of coins advise?

Thanks.

As well as putting some money into gold ETFs and funds, I'm looking to take hold of some physical gold coins.

The U.S. mint are selling 1oz proof gold "buffalo" coins at a fixed price of $800.

It seems like a good deal to me (I'd be planning on holding these for at least 2 years, maybe longer).

Thanks.

Buying gold at $800 an ounce - does not seem a good idea to me. Try kruggers at spot price plus say 4% premium. BTW I do not know much about the intrinsic value of coins themselves!!!!!

Thanks.

I recently bought some Canadian Maple Leaf 1 ounce coins from ATS. The service was very good, and the price was about 6% above spot.

I chose maples over krugers because I think they're a lot prettier, and they're also 9999, which is considerably purer than krugers.

I think we'd need to see crude plummet to $65 or below for gold to fall that far, and I don't see that happening before gold's seasonal strength kicks in next month. (Hurricanes, Iran etc - still too much uncertainty). By that point I'd think gold would be unlikely to fall that far even if crude does sink like a stone.

But who knows? If the big boys latch on to some weakness and decide to go in aggressively on the short side then anything could happen. I'm continuing to maintain some spreadbetting exposure to gold and silver at all times. I add a little on weakness and take a little off when I see good profits. Always keep a little in reserve in case of big falls.

Great chart, Fr.

Seems to coincide with Crawford's end-August low

Remember the Canadian promoters will start getting busy in about 8 dasy time

Archived