Beaten down dividend paying shares that could be good for the long term

I’m going to buy Vodafone and WM Morisson when I can get away from my desk.

I looked at BT as an alternative to Vod, but was put off by their poor dividend cover and losses.

I looked at Tesco as an alternative to Morisson… Tesco looked OK too but I thought Morisson has been disproportionately pounded these last few weeks in comparison. Therefore, Morisson has greater upside for capital gains.

I’m going for a V.small position on Morisson and a small position on Vod.

I’m keeping plenty of powder dry as there’s a decent chance these shares will keep falling.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought Vodafone, Morrissons & some more BP at the back end of last week

I still think there could be more downside for BP (even though they have served me well in the past). I don't think they are handling the leak well and Obama looks like he will make them pay (not necessarily in cash).

RDSB is my choice when the dust settles.

Saying that, I dipped my toe in with a few Aviva and GSK today.

Edit - Oh and keeping a close eye on Nat Grid - Edit

I still think there could be more downside for BP (even though they have served me well in the past). I don't think they are handling the leak well and Obama looks like he will make them pay (not necessarily in cash).

RDSB is my choice when the dust settles.

Saying that, I dipped my toe in with a few Aviva and GSK today.

Edit - Oh and keeping a close eye on Nat Grid - Edit

I think you’re right about BP, I’m averaging in on the way down to saving me from trying to pick the bottom and missing out as I so often do. Last time BP were 440, I was waiting for 420. BP hit 620 while I was sat waiting…. Not that I am interested in the capital gains at this stage.

There’s a cut off date for taking part in the NG rights issue…. Hang on….. ….

EDIT: I can’t find it. I will have to check my email when I get home.

There’s a cut off date for taking part in the NG rights issue…. Hang on….. ….

EDIT: I can’t find it. I will have to check my email when I get home.

Sorry, the cut off was 25th May.

You cannot participate in the rights issue is you buy now.

Sorry, the cut off was 25th May.

You cannot participate in the rights issue is you buy now.

Am also in NG - Halifax allowed me to do the purchase today their cut off date was 4/6/2010 apparently.

Funny the nil paid rights also appear on my screen - apparently this is in case I want to sell them to fund the purchase.

take up rights -

We will process your instruction on or after 04 June 2010. Your election will be applied to your holding of Nil Paid Rights at this time. Your election will also be based on cleared funds available at this time. If you do not have sufficient cleared funds to take up all of your entitlement then we will take up the maximum number of shares we can based on the funds available.

I bought BP this morning

569 including fees.

I've been waiting many years to buy this share at 420 (ish). I think it's time to accept BP is not going to drop that low any time soon

BP hit 420 this morning!

I bought another bag full of shares. I'm running out of dry powder now.

I'm heavily underwater with my NG position. Fortunately, I’m in the market for dividends so the capital loss is not a big deal

One thing I don’t quite understand. Will the ‘NG.n’ shares turn in to ‘NG.’ shares after I buy them? There’s little point in me holding them in this portfolio if they don’t pay a dividend.

I know I shouldn't invest if I don’t understand… it's the best way to learn sometimes (hard way).

One thing I don’t quite understand. Will the ‘NG.n’ shares turn in to ‘NG.’ shares after I buy them? There’s little point in me holding them in this portfolio if they don’t pay a dividend.

I know I shouldn't invest if I don’t understand… it's the best way to learn sometimes (hard way).

Off the top of my head - not too experienced here I think that the NG.n - nil paid rights will convert regardless - not sure if they will continue to be shown separately? As you are taking up the rights offer you should also get allocated to the proportion you have paid up.

We are all learning. I have some JPM Indian Inv Trust warrants which are now in the money but are longer dated - am not sure if best to take now or hold or convert and sell some. Guess I should set up a thread or enquire under Bubb's diary.

Here we go

Dear Ziknik

Thank you for your instruction to take up the National Grid Plc Rights Issue in your Hargreaves Lansdown Account.

The cost of taking up your new National Grid Ordinary Shares under the terms of the Rights Issue has now been debited from your Account. If you do not already have sufficient cash on your Account please call our Helpdesk to arrange payment.

A temporary line of stock has been credited to your Account in lieu of your Rights. This stock represents your entitlement to New Ordinary Shares and cannot yet be traded. This temporary line of stock will convert into New Ordinary Shares, and can be traded, from 14 June 2010 and will be amalgamated with any existing holding of National Grid Ordinary Shares that you have.

Here’s an interesting statistic

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/bp-oil-sp...25101a86f2.html

BP's position at the top of the London Stock Exchange (LSE: LSE.L - news) and its previous reliability have made it a bedrock of almost every pension fund in the country, meaning its value is crucial to millions of workers. The firm's dividend payments, which amount to more than £7 billion a year, account for £1 in every £6 paid out in dividends to British pension pots.

double post

At start of year I was intending to sell my Dragon Oil shares and buy BP cos I thought them safer and fancied the divi !!! Never quite got round to it (phew).

But will admit to buying a few BP on lo cost monthly purchase since the accident however

I'm heavily underwater with my NG position. Fortunately, I’m in the market for dividends so the capital loss is not a big deal

Mine have now been added to my holding, so yes, they are NG. shares now.

They're not eligible for the next dividend (payable on the 18th August) but they are eligible for the dividend after that.

I equate BP to a terrorist group. You should listen to www.financialsense.com for some interesting commentary on the oil sector.

BP might overtake Monsanto as the most hated company on the planet, and that's no small feat.

By purchasing BP stock you are essentially saying, I have zero interest in the environment.

By purchasing BP stock you are essentially saying, I have zero interest in the environment.

I prefer to see proper trials/investigations before I place blame.

Innocent until proven guilty.

EDIT: And this forum is not a court room, so I've not been viewing the so called evidence here.

Archived