GEI code of conduct for posters

I though that It may be a good idea to discuss what sort of things count as acceptable and unacceptable forms of conduct on the forum. I would welcome all constructive comments. Hopefully we can create a code of conduct that we can all agree on.

This is posted in the main discussion on a temporary basic to get the opinions of the majority of posters at GEI, after which time it can be moved to the 'about GEI' sub forum.

Acceptable forms of conduct

We should apply to ourselves the standards we apply to others

Treat other posters with mutual respect

Ask questions in a respectful manner

Respectful of the right of other posters to ask questions

Unacceptable forums of conduct

Lying ( making false claims about what other posters have said)

Spamming (off topic content)

Inflammatory comments

Abusive and offensive language

Not respecting opinions or rights of other posters

--------------

Does anyone have any suggestions or criticisms so that we can modify this basic list?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer just to call people out if they're behaving like tw@ts. Problem is, they sometimes get supported by other tw@ts, the behaviour becomes the norm and the forum sheds users until it consists of a few people behaving like tw@ts whilst Bubb seeks their opinion on the next swing in the markets. See HPC for details.

What I am hoping to gain in this thread is a criteria for identifying unacceptable behavior and establishing a set of standards that we can all look to as a guide for what is and is not acceptable.

It may best not to comment on individuals or differences we have with other posters. Its not individual posters themselves that anyone has issues with, its the conduct of the posters display that can be problematic. If we establish a set of standards for behavior, without naming individuals, we can then have a method of identifying unacceptable behavior.

How we deal with posters who persistently disrespect the standards we set out here in this thread, is a separate matter for another thread.

Personally I don't want this place to become a gentleman's club, however long running spats put people off contributing and generally discredits this forum and it's members.

IMO a proverbial punch to the nose to stop someone in their tracks is fine, a continual beating is something else.

Personally I don't want this place to become a gentleman's club, however long running spats put people off contributing and generally discredits this forum and it's members.

IMO a proverbial punch to the nose to stop someone in their tracks is fine, a continual beating is something else.

good post warpig.

have you noticed though that it's only the guys arguing, not the ladies. :unsure:

it's that alpha thing isn't it.....

I though that It may be a good idea to discuss what sort of things count as acceptable and unacceptable forms of conduct on the forum. I would welcome all constructive comments. Hopefully we can create a code of conduct that we can all agree on.

This is posted in the main discussion on a temporary basic to get the opinions of the majority of posters at GEI, after which time it can be moved to the 'about GEI' sub forum.

Inflammatory comments

Not respecting opinions or rights of other posters

Does anyone have any suggestions or criticisms so that we can modify this basic list?

"Not respecting opinions or rights of other posters"

But there's so many, so worthy of ridicule. It's better just to use ignore with people who cannot engage intellectually.

CDS and Others,

Kindly tone it down. Be less aggressive, please.

I will ask nicely, but if the complaints persist, I will have to become more active.

The tone on GEI has been described as "gentle", and I want it to stay that way.

Why risk: turning off, or losing an audience for your unique voice(s)?

You conduct is questionable as you won't even answer my last post to you.

Thankyou for your suggestion, I have added that to the list.

Inflammatory comments

Not respecting opinions of other posters

Aggressive posting style

Refusing to answer questions

CDS and Others,

Kindly tone it down. Be less aggressive, please.

I will ask nicely, but if the complaints persist, I will have to become more active.

The tone on GEI has been described as "gentle", and I want it to stay that way.

Why risk: turning off, or losing an audience for your unique voice(s)?

It certainly hasn't been gentle this week. You seem to have got it in the neck quite a lot. Has it been a full moon or something?

Anyway, if it were my forum, I would probably ban everyone at one time or another and move most of it to off topic.

Archived