GEI code of conduct for posters

CDS and Others,

Kindly tone it down. Be less aggressive, please.

I will ask nicely, but if the complaints persist, I will have to become more active.

The tone on GEI has been described as "gentle", and I want it to stay that way.

Why risk: turning off, or losing an audience for your unique voice(s)?

I agree less agressive - and No need to reply to every post to prove a point -

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have any suggestions or criticisms so that we can modify this basic list?

So the cretins who disregard the rules and bring this site into disrepute are banned right? <_<

Looks like that's the only way standards are going to be maintained given the infantile attitude of some.

I didn't make a suggestion, I asked you some questions, which you refuse to answer.

Twice now.

That falls foul of the 10 commandments you are wishing to impose, does it not?

Enrieb you are a joke mate.

'I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING HORDERZ!'

I'm sorry that I didn't answer your question cdswamp, I would like the thread to stay focuses on the topic of establishing a code of conduct.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about rumors, in this thread in the fringe section. Just post your question there and I will do my best to answer.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=7893

So the cretins who disregard the rules and bring this site into disrepute are banned right? <_<

Looks like that's the only way standards are going to be maintained given the infantile attitude of some.

This thread is not intended to be about banning, I feel that we should first establish a code of conduct about what is acceptable and not acceptable.

Posters then can make an informed choice if they wish to ignore the standards that the majority at GEI would like to see upheld.

Once a code of conduct has been agreed upon, the discussion about how we deal with that sort of behavior can begin, at a later date and in another thread.

Acceptable forms of conduct

We should apply to ourselves the standards we apply to others

Treat other posters with mutual respect

Ask questions in a respectful manner

Respectful of the right of other posters to ask questions

Unacceptable forums of conduct

Lying ( making false claims about what other posters have said)

Spamming (off topic content)

Inflammatory comments

Abusive and offensive language

Not respecting opinions of other posters

Aggressive posting style

Refusing to answer questions

This thread is not intended to be about banning, I feel that we should first establish a code of conduct about what is acceptable and not acceptable.

Posters then can make an informed choice if they wish to ignore the standards that the majority at GEI would like to see upheld.

Once a code of conduct has been agreed upon, the discussion about how we deal with that sort of behavior can begin, at a later date and in another thread.

Well, I for one agree with the code of conduct. When does the next thread start? :rolleyes:

standards are going to be maintained

Define 'standards'...

Your standards, one assumes?

Why should anyone want to emulate YOUR standards?

If not YOUR standards, then whose?

You sound like a clone of laughing boy and Enrieb.

cdswamp please learn to chill out and let some posts slide, it would be a shame to lose your contributions to this great site.

(1) Posters should try to keep it short.

(2) Posts should have actual content. Just a link is not enough, please supply a summary, or an excerpt with highlights.

(3) Posters should try to be as polite as possible - but it is also clear that some posters know each other better than others.

(4) Excessive posts by one poster (e.g. more than two in a row) on a thread that was not created by that particular poster should be avoided. Otherwise a discussion turns into a monologue (and we know what to think about people who mostly talk to themselves).

(5) Quotes should be made very clear (together with the sources, preferable as hyperlink): use the quote tags button.

(6) Lengthy political, philosophical, or religious discussions should have their own threads and not hijack other threads.

(7) No offensive pictures please. Humor is acceptable to a certain degree only.

(1) Posters should try to keep it short.

(2) Posts should have actual content. Just a link is not enough, please supply a summary, or an excerpt with highlights.

(3) Posters should try to be as polite as possible - but it is also clear that some posters know each other better than others.

(4) Excessive posts by one poster (e.g. more than two in a row) on a thread that was not created by that particular poster should be avoided. Otherwise a discussion turns into a monologue (and we know what to think about people who mostly talk to themselves).

(5) Quotes should be made very clear (together with the sources, preferable as hyperlink): use the quote tags button.

(6) Lengthy political, philosophical, or religious discussions should have their own threads and not hijack other threads.

+1

I hate wading through pasted information. A link and a pertinent quote is all that is needed. I visit GEI in order to read the poster's understanding of things - I use the posters on GEI as a kind of filter as they each have their own interpretation of a particular article or link and collectively, (in theory) the posters form a kind of superbrain. But like all geniuses, the superbrain at GEI can be prone to counter-productive behavior <_< However, radical brain surgery may make the patient more relaxed but will also remove the spark of genius at the same time.

+1

I hate wading through pasted information. A link and a pertinent quote is all that is needed. I visit GEI in order to read the poster's understanding of things - I use the posters on GEI as a kind of filter as they each have their own interpretation of a particular article or link and collectively, (in theory) the posters form a kind of superbrain. But like all geniuses, the superbrain at GEI can be prone to counter-productive behavior <_< However, radical brain surgery may make the patient more relaxed but will also remove the spark of genius at the same time.

I think you summarized very well what makes GEI such an interesting read.

+1

I hate wading through pasted information. A link and a pertinent quote is all that is needed. I visit GEI in order to read the poster's understanding of things - I use the posters on GEI as a kind of filter as they each have their own interpretation of a particular article or link and collectively, (in theory) the posters form a kind of superbrain. But like all geniuses, the superbrain at GEI can be prone to counter-productive behavior <_<However, radical brain surgery may make the patient more relaxed but will also remove the spark of genius at the same time.

....or saves the patient. :)

Very often links are subscription only (the good intel) or go dead rather quickly, especially if controversial, so it is always best IMO to post the full article. Highlight the pertinent points perhaps in bold or red.

I would hardly call GEI a superbrain, it's more like a Sinclair C5 or an Amstrad Spectrum! :lol::lol::lol:

-2 (recommendation inlflation)

I take the point about subscription. I don't think you need to highlight in blood red and with such a massive size - it could trigger migraines and fits :lol:

+1

+1

GEI acts something like a feedreader because we all have similar interests and scour different parts of the web to bring it together. A summary of what is being copy/pasted or linked to would be really helpful, particularly when a new topic is begun. If the topic is meant to be interesting enough for a discussion then the poster should not have a problem taking the time to give their opinion or tell us what direction they want to take things, etc.

Very often links are subscription only (the good intel) or go dead rather quickly, especially if controversial, so it is always best IMO to post the full article. Highlight the pertinent points perhaps in bold or red.

IMO quoting longer passages is OK if necessary, properly highlighted, and copyright is not an issue.

I would hardly call GEI a superbrain, it's more like a Sinclair C5 or an Amstrad Spectrum! :lol::lol::lol:

Amstrad... those were the days.

Anyway, some parts of GEI have been spinning too fast recently (out of 'control'?). But that's just MHO. Someone who is hyperactive or is having a phase of temporary hypomania might see this differently.

By the way WHERE is Steve Netwriter? Some people on here miss him.

+1

GEI acts something like a feedreader because we all have similar interests and scour different parts of the web to bring it together. A summary of what is being copy/pasted or linked to would be really helpful, particularly when a new topic is begun. If the topic is meant to be interesting enough for a discussion then the poster should not have a problem taking the time to give their opinion or tell us what direction they want to take things, etc.

+1

But if a link is likely to die quickly maybe the whole or most of it can be quoted. It's much easier to follow if quotes are in a quote box. Often I don't know easily whether something is the poster talking or a quote.

This is curbing *sensible* free speech, nothing more. Not the time to shut up. All these petty rules, pathetic if you ask me. You will never have a vibrant forum with a bunch of old grannies playing the PC policeman on every single thread - 'oh no, you can't say that, go to the dungeon and say it to a brick wall over there...' Jobsworths one and all. 

If by "free speech", you mean speech that is rude, insulting, or disruptive to the general spirit

of GEI, thenm YES, that particular type of "free speech" may need to be curbed sometimes.

You know I am not afraid to suspend or ban people here, but that does not mean that I have

a predisposition to ban people, or evn enjoy doing it

What it comes down to is that some people want this site to be educational, fun and friendly whilst others might be more interested in one-upmanship, intimidation and forming cliques. Something will give. Hopefully it's that everyone will heed the advice in this thread, at least for the vast majority of their posts, and the vibes will be good again.

cdswamp, mate you're nuts, your idle speed is 1,000 mph and you're quickly becoming the forum anarchist. :lol: Look we're not the enemy, we're all here to rage against the financial machine... CIGA et al.

+1 and it could be argued that you are behaving like one of those gold-holding nutters that gives us all a bad name ;)

Is a code of conduct really necessary? We have done ok so far. Simpler just to have administrator intervention only IF needed?

This thread might be the text equivilent to a red flag to a bull for a certain GEI member - who by the way does seem to be a 100% from his/her original posts - we even get links these days...usually :lol:

I do understand the idea behind it however.

Archived