GEI code of conduct for posters

I know that you are trying not to lower yourself Dr Bubb, by being completely fair in your dealings with posters, but I think you know what you have to do and the sooner the better imo. Although the upside here is that by having annoying ,yet in some way intriguing (sic) poster on the board will probably turn out to be increased traffic from the nutters on the other side.

I seem to remember that cds was here previously and went away for a while after some warnings were given. Put him and us out of our misery please.After all you own this place.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good list and a reminder, thanks!

My comments:

Refusing to answer questions

No, please no. I get asked the same question by people who have called me names and I have already killfiled (i.e. used the ignore). Why do I have to keep reading their messages, when they don't obey the basic rules of nice human conduct?

Posts should have actual content. Just a link is not enough, please supply a summary, or an excerpt with highlights.

Excellent rule. Otherwise copy/paste spammers who have nothing original or worthy to contribute, will drown the place in noise. Trust me, I've seen it in way too many forums.

A link is not a conversation starter.

Excessive posts by one poster

Very good rule, avoid thread-crapping and encourages focus. I'll try to adhere this to myself.

Lengthy political, philosophical, or religious discussions

Great addition again. Thread-hijacking is not nice. Can be hard and the line is fine, but a good goal to strive for.

I use the "ignore" feature so am blissfully unaware.

That. My list's growing rapidly. I'm sure I'm on a few already and I think it's of mutual benefit. I don't like it, but I don't like unconstructive 'discussion' either, after I've shown mountains of patience and tried to explain. I'm not a saint either. Wish I was, but I at least try to behave in civil manner most of the time.

This might seem off-topic, but actually goes back to these community, S/N and reward/filter mechanisms:

I do wish we'd get upgrade to IP.Board 3.0 at some point, that has some nice community features added and would help with weeding out the good/bad stuff. What is good/bad? Community decides. Please, pretty please :)

I've only been back here a few days after a very long break and my feeling is that the board's got progressively more childish. I'd like to see many less posts with no real content. The poster may think that a one line gag with a smiley face on the end, is a minor issue, but it encourages others to do the same and makes it difficult to pick out the actual content from any particular thread.

I'd also like to see people presenting an opinion, that they'd prefer to be cross-examined and a lot less of posters trying market a dogmatic opinion.

There's a big difference between a discussion that everyone can learn from (even if people strongly disagree with each other's opinions) and the sort of posts that drag the forum down. The posts that I'm talking about are those that:

... disagree without presenting a counter-argument

... make no effort to understand someone else's point of view

... attempt to mock someone for their point of view

... recite the same mantras

... are large cut and pastes

... are frequent cut and pastes from the same sources

... are nothing more than running arguments carried over from previous threads

... are in-jokes trying to exclude or make another poster feel excluded

etc.

I understand that it's easy to sit there and keep refreshing the page looking for something to respond to, but I'd prefer that people, posted less frequently, but had spent some time thinking about and researching their responses. I don't expect every post to look like a well written essay, but I'd prefer that they were much more like that than playground insults. I don't think we should discourage people from posting from a wide range of different backgrounds, ages, levels of education and even mental states, but I think we can expect that they want to take part in a constructive discussion.

As a general rule, if we've taken a dislike to any particular poster and they've made a post that annoys us we should try to ignore it. Trying to have the last word in an childish argument, just makes us look like the stroppiest child.

the idea of this thread is a joke

rules of the playground

Every society has rules, even playgrounds. Even if they're not codified, people know when they've been broken. Societies change and their rules develop, but when people see their society changing for the worse it's natural to want to codify the implicit rues which they think make the society good, and to see where people think the society should be heading. Even within anarchy people seek order.

the idea of this thread is a joke

rules of the playground

Until the boy who owns the ball gets sick of it and takes his ball away, the rest of the chldren in the playground then just end up moping about.

Dr. B it's your ball, what are the rules of the game we are playing?

Clearly Swampy is manic, and when the price of silver and gold go up he goes hyper as do those who respond to him. Human behaviour is interesting. Look at cgnao comment to Bubb and Bubbs response to him being misquoted, and goldfingers comments to Bubb and Frissers about gold & silver going down. Its not just swampy & Im sure he will settle down by May 2010. We need some way of voting him out of his cell and when we had enough we can just vote him back in. A bit like a mascot when a goal is scored. Or maybe we could limit the number of posts he can make per day. I agree with much of what he says but not the way he speaks to some other members. The ignor suggestion is good if you feel that way, but I think you guys quite like it else you wouldnt bother joining the scrum.

Exactamundo. Whatever he decides, I will abide by it. Even if he tells me to stick it.

I do think this town just as any town needs a sheriff. Sometimes it's a posse, other times a single individual. I prefer a wise individual over a posse, but will take either over nothing and the anarchy that easily comes with that.

Clearly Swampy is manic, and when the price of silver and gold go up he goes hyper as do those who respond to him. Human behaviour is interesting. Look at cgnao comment to Bubb and Bubbs response to him being misquoted, and goldfingers comments to Bubb and Frissers about gold & silver going down. Its not just swampy & Im sure he will settle down by May 2010. We need some way of voting him out of his cell and when we had enough we can just vote him back in. A bit like a mascot when a goal is scored. Or maybe we could limit the number of posts he can make per day. I agree with much of what he says but not the way he speaks to some other members. The ignor suggestion is good if you feel that way, but I think you guys quite like it else you wouldnt bother joining the scrum.

the heightened levels of excitment at the mo seem to be affecting many posters differently - what's it going to be like here when gold hits $1250? ;)

Clearly Swampy is manic, and when the price of silver and gold go up he goes hyper as do those who respond to him. Human behaviour is interesting. Look at cgnao comment to Bubb and Bubbs response to him being misquoted, and goldfingers comments to Bubb and Frissers about gold & silver going down. Its not just swampy ...

Not sure how exactly you mean this.

Anyway, we're all to some degree emotional about our investments (except for Dispassion, of course). So, every now and then, things heat up a little. However, we should still try to keep spamming and cursing to a minimum.

I seem to have annoyed Bubb recently ("you're full of it"), but then, I got annoyed about the gold thread's original title this month, because I started these threads originally for investment purposes, and not for trading.

As I have written two times today already, a lot of issues seem to arise from the different time horizons people on here have.

I do think this town just as any town needs a sheriff. Sometimes it's a posse, other times a single individual. I prefer a wise individual over a posse, but will take either over nothing and the anarchy that easily comes with that.

Why don't we create a GEI council, with DrBubb as the speaker/chair?

We would have to propose candidates and then vote for them.

The council then decided democratically over the issues arising. DrBubb as the owner should have a veto right.

The council function will be separate from the moderator function. Overlaps are acceptable.

(1) Posters should try to keep it short.

(2) Posts should have actual content. Just a link is not enough, please supply a summary, or an excerpt with highlights.

(3) Posters should try to be as polite as possible - but it is also clear that some posters know each other better than others.

(4) Excessive posts by one poster (e.g. more than two in a row) on a thread that was not created by that particular poster should be avoided. Otherwise a discussion turns into a monologue (and we know what to think about people who mostly talk to themselves).

(5) Quotes should be made very clear (together with the sources, preferable as hyperlink): use the quote tags button.

(6) Lengthy political, philosophical, or religious discussions should have their own threads and not hijack other threads.

(7) No offensive pictures please. Humor is acceptable to a certain degree only.

+1, (especially number 4 as even on ignore it still takes time to skip 'you have chosen to ignore this user' substitute posts).

I note that it wasn't till recently we needed any form or rules or guidance and personally I'd just ban the relevant poster(s).

Maybe there are some insights occasionally but it's like waiting for 1000 monkeys with a typewriter to write something useful with the amount of other noise that gets posted. I don't have the time and to be honest I'm visiting here less as the chaff/wheat ratio increases.

This thread is ridiculous.

The last time someone offended on the degree they have done recently, they were evicted for several months.

How many times do we have to give someone a chance? Ban the fool and lets move on from this.

Set an example and show some authority.

Just signed after a few days away...

I'm definitely getting less pleasure from reading GEI the way things are going

To add some levity, lets take a poll on who thinks cdswamp will be barred before gold passes 1000 again on the way down :)

I tried to be civil, I really did. I just don't know why this sort of crap should be tolerated by anyone, anywhere. I made the edit in this post almost as soon as I posted the first draft. The comment was there for a good while before the reply:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....st&p=131848

Is that not civil, is the reply deserved? Am I doing something wrong (other than feeding the trolls)?

The reply, lest it gets altered:

You said I was on IGNORE.

Therefore you are a liar, Jim.ndrgktts.jpeg

So what's new? jmpndlms.jpeg

It is called rewriting history - the folks that can do that have unlimited funds.

In that case THEY will stop by here as well, give Bubb and Frizzers (and Steve, if he ever returns) shed loads of money to remove all the highly significant posts that they don't like.

:unsure:

Not sure how exactly you mean this.

Anyway, we're all to some degree emotional about our investments (except for Dispassion, of course). So, every now and then, things heat up a little. However, we should still try to keep spamming and cursing to a minimum.

I seem to have annoyed Bubb recently ("you're full of it"), but then, I got annoyed about the gold thread's original title this month, because I started these threads originally for investment purposes, and not for trading.

As I have written two times today already, a lot of issues seem to arise from the different time horizons people on here have.

No offence ment, Im just all emotional about my investments. :P I just noticed how the atmosphere changed as changes happened in the markets and news.

Personally, I dont mind all the static in the forum at the moment. Its better than the sleepy times when nothing happens much.

Until the boy who owns the ball gets sick of it and takes his ball away, the rest of the chldren in the playground then just end up moping about.

some posters got out of hand.

i have been too busy, and had too much travel recently to cope with it,

and some old mods visit less frequently

clearly, gei needs some new mods.

there's a new poll on that - please vote

No offence ment, Im just all emotional about my investments. :PI just noticed how the atmosphere changed as changes happened in the markets and news.

Personally, I dont mind all the static in the forum at the moment. Its better than the sleepy times when nothing happens much.

that may have more to do with the problem than you think. ;)

I think a few people have been advocating strategies that just haven't happened & they feel a bit daft imo.

I saw it happen on hpc many times & it's still happening today.

Just signed after a few days away...

I'm definitely getting less pleasure from reading GEI the way things are going

To add some levity, lets take a poll on who thinks cdswamp will be barred before gold passes 1000 again on the way down :)

Agreed. Getting like HPC.

Everyone knows the rules, common sense and some manners (on this site).

If people are ruining threads/the website, ban them. Easy

Archived