THIS IS A CIVILISED INVESTMENT FORUM

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neither.

I have repeatedly turned down management roles in the company where I work. I like working on my own projects and doing them to the best of my ability. I like the sense of satisfaction from completing something that is as close to perfect as I can make it. I have no desire to try and force a bare minimum out of others.

Snap! I hated being responsible for other people's performance (or rather non-performance). Since the bosses knew I'd leave if they promoted me, they left me alone and just kept feeding me special projects that kept me interested in the job and also because they were assured of a quality result. When they assigned staff to me, they only gave me the ones worth training.

Lord, just because someone left university with a 1st, it doesn't mean the guy's not thick. I found that the only good indication that a person is clever is having an Oxbridge degree. Which is not to say that good degrees from other universities are rubbish but rather that they are not reliable.

The last time I looked, I was not a 'fanboy'

Sorry.

You have to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. If you are too lazy to go through the chaff, you will not get any wheat. By dismissing out of hand, ideas that are unusual, you achieve the following things:

You are able to claim a sense of superiority over 'tin-foil-hatters'.

You are able to free yourself up from the arduous duty of thinking.

You go through life learning nothing.

Couldn't agree more. It cuts the other way too though, if you fail to sort the wheat from the chaff:

You are able to claim a sense of superiority over 'sheeple'.

You are able to free yourself up from the arduous duty of thinking analytically.

You go through life learning nothing.

Feel free to categorise me as a weak and inexperienced manager if it helps you avoid critically reviewing your strange hero-worship.

Sorry to GOM too, that was a bit unnecessary. I'm giving up smoking atm and am very irritable (not an excuse, I know).

can anyone remember nicejim's reference to cdswamp, you know that post, the one nicejim just can't remember. ?

You've asked the forum a number of times across two threads and nobody has mentioned the post. I asked the mods if they'd deleted a post of mine and I got no response. You appear not to remember the post yourself, as when I posed a number of questions, the answers to which would surely have jogged my memory, you did not respond. So who actually saw this post? If it wasn't me, you, the mods or anyone on the forum could it possibly be only CDSwamp himself who saw it? I should remind you that in real life he makes a living as a writer of fiction.

I didn't see it. It would help if you answered some of nicejim's questions to jog memories.

can anyone remember nicejim's reference to cdswamp, you know that post, the one nicejim just can't remember. ?

What was the content?

What thread was it in?

To whom was I replying?

What day or time was it?

When was it deleted?

Two requests from me please.

1. I think it would be helpful if we could avoid quoting trolls/spam/inappropriate posts. That way when the posts are deleted, all trace disappears.

2. Could we all please avoid the (strong) temptation to respond in kind.

I do believe we have more important issues to discuss.

Has anyone got the Nobel prize on here? :D

As I understood it this forum is for people who are focussing on the path towards financial independence, or who are financially independant and wish to help others. Posts that do not fit this objective should always be deleted. Dr Bubb is generous with his insights and willingness to help. This must be respected otherwise the attractiveness of the forum is severely reduced. We are busy people and not interested in matters outside the core purpose of the forum.

Before I could admit that I was "wrong about Obama", I would first have to think I was wrong.

What makes you think I am?

Obama is an excellent communicator, and potentially a great leader. Do you disagree?

Yes I disagree that he is a potentially great leader as there is nothing to show that he was, is or could be.

Being a good communicator qualifies him as a television presenter. I said this last autumn as well and I won't be going out and voting for a TV presenter as president.

But it is good to know that based on the criteria you have set forth, you must think Reagan is great. No one communicated better than he. I'm also glad to know that delivery of results, economic policy, philosophy, etc don't seem to matter too much to you.

But as an American living abroad, I think he is a VAST improvement over Bush,

On economics they are both the same and on Supreme Court justice selections, after Bush was destroyed by his party for the crappy selection of Harriet Myers, he appointed two the best there, Roberts and Alito.

Obama has appointed the worst we have there, Sotomeyor.

Most outside of the US don't give huge notice to judicial appointments by a president, but to me it is critical as I am pretty sure judicial tyranny will be ultimately what plays a huge role in the fall of the US.

and better too,

than his clumsy Republican opponent, who made one of the worst selections for VP running mate

in recent memory.

Agree re McCain. Just realize that McCain was selected by a lot of Democrat voters in early primaries to ensure that Obama would have an opponent that most conservatives wouldn't bother to show up and vote for (like me).

I find it encouraging that the current Tea Party movement in America is FIRST focusing on cleaning house in the REPUBLICAN party to ensure no more McCains--when two Democrats run for office, the Democrat wins.

You should like this too as it was essentially TARP that started the Tea Party movement.

I disagree re Palin. I don't know a lot about her, but I am very mindful of the old bomber's line about "You know you are close to the target when you start taking flak" and the seething hatred for that woman from the liberal press tells me they are very afraid of her--which means I will likely like her.

She's a bit homespun, I grant you. But so was my grandmother, and she more sense than Obama or any liberal for that matter on any day. I think the fact that Palin's a Washington outsider also contributes to the instant rage and hatred and this is actually very good, although I am not sure if she can parlay this into a nomination in 2012.

And when I say "I don't know a lot about her", that's a personal assessment; I sure as hell know a lot more about her than the suckers who voted for Obama in Nov 2008 solely on the basis of "hope" and "change" and race--and none of the changes they want even having a inkling that they will be coming to pass. If you weren't already remorseful about your decision, the Peace Prize award fiasco should drive it home DrBubb. 11 days in office and he gets it? Come on.

I dont think Obama "gets it" yet on the economy, but there are so many others in the mainstream

who also do not get it, that this is not surprising.

There are plenty who get it. And if not, were certainly more likely than Obama to "get it" in 2008.

I am amazed how quickly some folks are to start telling otehrs that they must "admit they were

wrong." I am a trader for a living, and a successful one too, so far. I have to learn to live with

trdaing mistakes almost every day, and so, I have learned to be flexible in my positions. Most

of my social and political views are also flexible enough to be surprised.]

My surprise in your case is that for as intelligent and motivated a chap as I see you, you have come across like you have fallen for this guy hook, line and sinker.

I thought the choices in 2008 were the most dismal since Bush Sr/ Dukakis and can totally understand if you "reluctantly" voted for Obama but were nevertheless remained very leery of him.

But your seeming unbridled enthusiasm for the guy is why I have been here to meet you on every turn re him.

The exception is ... that I have already written off: Greenspan, Brown... and Paul Krugman,

and think that they have shown theyt they are on the side of Darkness. I am nowhere near putting

Obama into that same camp.

This perplexes me because Obama has already shown us that it's business as usual a la these guys and these sorts are right in his midst, big supporters. Do you really distinguish Bernake from Greenspan in any meaningful way? If we all agree on those three above (and I agree with you) why do you continue to give this president a pass?

I had to go away to work for a bit and return to see I missed another CDS saga.

I liked the guy in my limited interaction but would be the first to admit that it wasn't just the civility that did him in; it was ad naseum posts of it that made it hard to stomach or hide from.

I hope he finds the happiness in USA that I was never really able to find for myself.

But it is good to know that based on the criteria you have set forth, you must think Reagan is great. No one communicated better than he.

The USSR almost blew them up because of one of Reagan's 'jokes'.

I hope he finds the happiness in USA that I was never really able to find for myself.

Interesting comment. I guess it is all about lifestyle choices.

Archived