THIS IS A CIVILISED INVESTMENT FORUM

I think Swampy should be allowed to post on a single thread and then have GOM translate for him:

CDS "Well DrBlubb I think you are a fookin idiot"

Translated by GOM "I say, good Dr. Sir, I must heartily disagree with your point"

Obviously this might be a bit of work for GOM (but I don't mind volunteering others for work :lol: )

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Swampy should be allowed to post on a single thread and then have GOM translate for him:

Translated by GOM "I say, good Dr. Sir, I must heartily disagree with your point"

Obviously this might be a bit of work for GOM (but I don't mind volunteering others for work :lol: )

:lol: :lol:

that's very funny sylvester.

:lol::lol::lol: BRILLIANT

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gulag!*

* With a translator!

(I can hear Swampy cursing all the way across the ocean.)

Has he gone????

Permanent?

Thank fook for that!

The guy was obviously a troll and was having a good old laugh at the lot of us. You arent going to hurt his feelings by banning him cos he doesnt care!! He will probably try to get back in under another name so watch out for that mods....

Right fitkid?

;)

Very unlikely indeed....in fact lets make fitkid a mod eh? :lol::lol::lol:

I have been reading up on identifying writing style using software that can measure a whole range of parameters in the style, punctuation, word-use etc of a writer. Crude at the moment and can be fooled with some conscious effort on the part of the writer but sure to get better with time. The arms-race will start with software that can render anonymous the writers style.

If cdswamp did sneak back in using an alias, I wonder if we would be able to spot him? Perhaps he has access to style altering software!

If cdswamp did sneak back in using an alias, I wonder if we would be able to spot him? Perhaps he has access to style altering software!

If a new member arrives and sticks to the rules which the forum has announced they want to be governed by, nobody would have grounds for complaint. If an old member wants to announce his new abode via friends on this one, we can all take a peek if we want to. If CDSwamp tries for WWIII under any pseudonym we'll spot it and hopefully end it sooner.

How about helping him set up his own forum? (This is an honest suggestion!) He seems to have the enthusiasm and the willingness to take control. I'm sure there's enough sympathetic posters here to help him get the ball rolling.

there's an idea...

A CD Swamp forum on GEI?

it might sound a good idea, but he would probably use it to deride the GEI controls

that keep him from posting in other sections

What say you, GOM.

Do you think a special forum, a "Crude & Delicious Swamp" Forum for over-aggressive posters,

is a workable idea?

Who would moderate it, when the posters there want to pull the GEi house down?

First, thanks for the posts of support. I expected many posts of complaint. The percentages are heartening :D

DrBubb,

By permanent I meant all posts were removed.

I had no time to waste sorting out useful posts from the many copyright infringements and outrageous language.

GF,

I did receive an unexpected NZ$32 in my account yesterday. But it wasn't from 'them' :lol:

I do not wish to be associated with any forum that has cdswamp as a member.

there's an idea...

A CD Swamp forum on GEI?

it might sound a good idea, but he would probably use it to deride the GEI controls

What say you, GOM.

Do you think a special forum, a "Crude & Delicious Swamp" Forum for over-aggressive posters,

is a workable idea?

No, Sorry should have been more specific

A new forum, on a separate/new site.

I think the right thing has been done here, and that should be that.

Has he gone????

Permanent?

Thank fook for that!

The guy was obviously a troll and was having a good old laugh at the lot of us. You arent going to hurt his feelings by banning him cos he doesnt care!! He will probably try to get back in under another name so watch out for that mods....

Right fitkid?

:D So I'm not the only one! The feeling I get is that their writing styles are too different and their topics of interest are not quite aligned, I think it's very unlikely.

I can assure you they are not the same person.

I know what cdswamp looks like & if fitkid is the guy from the GEI pub meet, then they are definetly different people.

there's an idea...

A CD Swamp forum on GEI?

What say you, GOM.

is a workable idea?

I'd say you don't have anything to worry about short/medium/long term tbh.

Posters of cdswamp's capability won't be around long anyway in an environment such as this, remember he is educating the majority of posters on here, he's not really learning from this site imo.

He learns from different alternative sources. It's a shame you banned him because he certainly knows more than he tells here I can assure you. Just like cgnao who was chased away.

First, thanks for the posts of support. I expected many posts of complaint. The percentages are heartening :D

DrBubb,

I had no time to waste sorting out useful posts from the many copyright infringements and outrageous language.

GF,

I did receive an unexpected NZ$32 in my account yesterday. But it wasn't from 'them' :lol:

I think cdswamp was right, welcome to the Orwellian present.

Was he really that bad, ask yourself Steve.

You think he offended you that much that you can't even bear to moderate a website if he posts on it ? :blink:

I find that quite bizarre & quite worrying personally. :unsure: I have had much worse exchanges with people on hpc & still talk to them now.

DrBubb,

GF,

edited as it appears you haven't deleted all cdswamps posts.......yet.

Are you intending to delete ALL his posts then ?

I am sure some of you will have heard of the Stamford Prison Experiment

"The Stanford prison experiment was a study of the psychological effects of becoming a prisoner or prison guard. The experiment was conducted in 1971 by a team of researchers led by Psychology Professor Philip Zimbardo at Stanford University. Twenty-four undergraduates were selected out of 70 to play the roles of both guards and prisoners and live in a mock prison in the basement of the Stanford psychology building. Those selected were chosen for their lack of psychological issues, crime history, and medical disabilities, in order to obtain a representative sample. Roles were assigned based on a coin toss.[1]

Prisoners and guards rapidly adapted to their roles, stepping beyond the boundaries of what had been predicted and leading to dangerous and psychologically damaging situations. One-third of the guards were judged to have exhibited "genuine" sadistic tendencies, while many prisoners were emotionally traumatized and two had to be removed from the experiment early. After being confronted by Christina Maslach, a graduate student in psychology whom he was dating,[2] and realizing that he had been passively allowing unethical acts to be performed under his direct supervision, Zimbardo concluded that both prisoners and guards had become too grossly absorbed in their roles and terminated the experiment after six days.[3]

Ethical concerns surrounding the famous experiment often draw comparisons to the Milgram experiment, which was conducted in 1961 at Yale University by Stanley Milgram, Zimbardo's former college friend. Tom Peters and Robert H. Waterman Jr wrote in 1981 that the Milgram experiment and the Stanford prison experiment were frightening in their implications about the danger which lurks in the darker side of human nature.[4]"

................................................................................

"Goals and methods

Zimbardo and his team set out to test the idea that the inherent personality traits of prisoners and guards were summarily key to understanding abusive prison situations. Participants were recruited and told they would participate in a two-week "prison simulation." Of the 70 respondents, Zimbardo and his team selected the 24 males whom they deemed to be the most psychologically stable and healthy. These participants were predominantly white and middle-class.

The "prison" itself was in the basement of Stanford's Jordan Hall, which had been converted into a mock jail. An undergraduate research assistant was the "warden" and Zimbardo the "superintendent". Zimbardo set up a number of specific conditions on the participants which he hoped would promote disorientation, depersonalisation and deindividualisation.

The researchers provided weapons -- wooden batons -- and clothing that simulated that of a prison guard -- khaki shirt and pants from a local military surplus store. They were also given mirrored sunglasses to prevent eye contact.

Prisoners wore ill-fitting smocks and stocking caps, rendering them constantly uncomfortable. Guards called prisoners by their assigned numbers, sewn on their uniforms, instead of by name. A chain around their ankles reminded them of their roles as prisoners.

The researchers held an "orientation" session for guards the day before the experiment, during which they were told that they could not physically harm the prisoners. In The Stanford Prison Study video, quoted in Haslam & Reicher, 2003, Zimbardo is seen telling the guards, "You can create in the prisoners feelings of boredom, a sense of fear to some degree, you can create a notion of arbitrariness that their life is totally controlled by us, by the system, you, me, and they'll have no privacy… We're going to take away their individuality in various ways. In general what all this leads to is a sense of powerlessness. That is, in this situation we'll have all the power and they'll have none."

The participants chosen to play the part of prisoners were "arrested" at their homes and "charged" with armed robbery. The local Palo Alto police department assisted Zimbardo with the arrests and conducted full booking procedures on the prisoners, which included fingerprinting and taking mug shots. At the prison, they were transported to the mock prison where they were strip-searched and given their new identities."

................................................................................

"Conclusions

The Stanford experiment ended on August 20, 1971, only six days after it began instead of the fourteen it was supposed to have lasted. The experiment's result has been argued to demonstrate the impressionability and obedience of people when provided with a legitimizing ideology and social and institutional support. It is also used to illustrate cognitive dissonance theory and the power of authority.

In psychology, the results of the experiment are said to support situational attribution of behaviour rather than dispositional attribution. In other words, it seemed the situation caused the participants' behaviour, rather than anything inherent in their individual personalities. In this way, it is compatible with the results of the also-famous Milgram experiment, in which ordinary people fulfilled orders to administer what appeared to be damaging electric shocks to a confederate of the experimenter. The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, a book by Malcolm Gladwell, addresses this experiment.

Shortly after the study had been completed, there were bloody revolts at both the San Quentin and Attica prison facilities, and Zimbardo reported his findings on the experiment to the U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary."

This thread & other posts connected to this thread are living proof of this experiment in live action on this site imo.

Just imagine if all the posters involved in the cdswamp issue on this site, took part in the same experiment....... :o

Now were you a guard or a prisoner ? edited - or did you want to become a guard ?

Then ask yourself have you really been impartial ?

Our next installment will focus on STS & STO. Which are you ? ;)

I can assure you they are not the same person.

I know what cdswamp looks like & if fitkid is the guy from the GEI pub meet, then they are definetly different people.

I don't think that they are the same person, and after reading GOMs posts for so long on GEI and HPC I know that GOM is a person of high integrity and would not stand by and let a banned poster, come back under a new account name and attempt to do harm to the forum.

I think cdswamp was right, welcome to the Orwellian present.

This is a society which we are free to join and to leave. If we don't like it or do not accept its traditions we should leave.

When I go to my snooker club there are rules about walking on the tables. I might consider these too authoritarian but should I walk on the tables, the club would be right to ask me not to. Should I persist, they would be right to force me out. If they valued my superhuman potting ability enough to give me a table where I could walk to my heart's content, I would consider myself wanted.

When I go to my golf club I do not practice putting on the 18th hole all day and claim that everyone who wants to play normally is beneath me. If I did, they would be right to force me out.

When I go to my lodge they...oops.

Get it yet?

If I go to my snooker club and +1 to everyone's scoreboard I'd be kicked out very quickly. I'd never do that, because I have more to contribute and a better sense of humour.

Archived