UK Property - The former HPC addicts' thread

Not sure about Edinburgh, we are the "other side"

From what I can see here in Edinburgh the falls are continuing....

The flat I sold in May 2008 is now on the market fixed price a clear 30k less than I sold it for.

The flat round the corner from where I am renting is now fixed price for 70k less than it was a few months ago :blink: OK so this pone was wildly overpriced to begin with but that is quite a drop.

New build "luxury" developments such as quarter mile and bells mill are struggling to sell and I've see prices come down on some of them by at least 100k!! And yet they are still over priced! 320k for a tiny 2 bed flat where the kitchen is shoe-horned in to the living room - man these guys need to get a grip. I mean just look at the floor plan of this "opportunity"

http://www.qmile.com/component/option,com_...,223/Itemid,36/

However, the asking price for most proper 2 bed flats near the city centre (i.e. 2 full sized doubles, dining kitchen, bathroom, boxroom plus actual storage cupboards) are still stubbornly sticking around the 250k mark. Not sure if they can hold that level as public sector job losses mount and wages get cut, inflation remains "surprisingly" high, and talk of interest rate rises hang in the air.

I'm going to hold on to my gold until the depths of winter at least and see what my ounces can get me then.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The current government is rather unpopular from what I gather.

Should the coalition fall apart (which I think is almost certain within the next 2 years) I think Labour will get another landslide.

I think it depends on whom you speak to.

Many people whose views I respect are impressed with the job the coalition is doing.

On the other hand, those that are benefitting from government handouts, or public sector jobs may be unhappy. IMHO, doing "what needs to be done", is bound to make them unhappy. And a government that has the courage to do that is good for the future of the UK.

The Villainous Brown tried to buy votes, and Labour's sucess over the years was due to their reckless policies. But eventually, even some of those who were getting handouts saw it had to be changed.

Hello again.

Think im going to give this house a miss.

I think that is a wise move. You will see better bargains in the months and years to come IMHO.

Here is HK, we agreed to sell another property last night, and this one captured us the best gain (over 50%).

We are down to just one. It is one of the smallest, but was the most expensive, The "last one" is also the one we live in, and happily too. So it will be hard to sell. It was on the market, but I just bumped the price up.

The flat I sold in May 2008 is now on the market fixed price a clear 30k less than I sold it for.

The flat round the corner from where I am renting is now fixed price for 70k less than it was a few months ago

Well done, Doctor. A good diagnosis

You are free to post that,

But do you really think they could mess things up more than Labor has?

Brown was the worst PM in history after being the worse chancellor - all IMHO

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I see now.

You fell for the whole political art form that is claiming credit for something that had nothing to do with them.

This is of course bullshit, but it's not your fault, and no one can blame you for being taken in by the elaborate propaganda, misdirection, and blatant lies. I often forget how ignorant we all really are.

It's an unfortunate consequence that when politicians claim credit for things that were nothing to do with them, they also end up taking the blame when it all goes wrong. In the real world politicians are rather the scapegoats for all the rafts of permanent statists who are really pulling the strings, you can usually see them realise this by the decay in their face: All under the direction of her Royal inbred ladyship and family.

To see what is really going on behind the curtain you merely have to open it and see what's outside. it's not particularly pleasant, a bit gruesome even; mixed with a few home truths which sting like a wasp. You have to be fairly confident in your sanity to take that step, and be well prepared for the lambasting which comes with it, but in the end it's the only way to see the sunrise.

... they also end up taking the blame when it all goes wrong. In the real world politicians are rather the scapegoats for all the rafts of permanent statists who are really pulling the strings, you can usually see them realise this by the decay in their face: All under the direction of her Royal inbred ladyship and family.

? What are you talking about?

Gordon Brown and Labour FULLY deserve the blame for the mess the UK is in.

They, and the hapless fools that voted for them.

gordon-brown-.JPG

The only sad thing is that Labour voters (from the last election) cannot be made to go off and live in a parallel world where Gordon is still running things, and the Pound is slicing its way below $1.00, as prices go shooting up.

Jennifer-in-Hell.jpg

I believe they deserve to live in the sort of world that they voted for.

Surely it was EZ Credit that did it for the world economy? Thanks to Mr Greenspan?

Brown was daft enough to think the rampant consumption and asset inflation he saw was real wealth!

He then went on a spending spree based on ever rising tax revenues from said assets?

All politicians do this, because they think (wrongly) they can actual make a difference.

That said, I loathe Brown to the very core of my being.

Hello again.

Think im going to give this house a miss. Im a FTB with 10% deposit, possibly a bit more if the old man helps out. The house is old, lovely gardens (a rarity in Manchester), and a reasonable guide price. Theres too much risk. Noticed bad damp ingress in a wall, a slightly bowed wall...and its owned by an old couple who have lived there 50 years...i.e lots of cash required to do it up.... plus its auction so

...10% deposit down on the day

then ill have to be pretty sure i can raise finance within a short timescale....if the damage is bad a mortgage company wont lend....them im buggered. Cant afford to risk that...

Hurl into the mix inflation not to mention job insecurity....

~reaches for whiskey, pours large measure...and regards small rented house, exhales loudly~

...going to sign a lease extension

It's probably not wise to risk buying an auction property as an FTB. You may be able to buy it after the auction if it fails to sell.

? What are you talking about?

Gordon Brown and Labour FULLY deserve the blame for the mess the UK is in.

They, and the hapless fools that voted for them.

Interesting hypothesis, any particular reason for believing that based on things he actually did.

Rather than the things he was claiming to be responsible for. (you know, like "no more boom and bust" just because there hadn't been a boom for a decade or so.)

However, the asking price for most proper 2 bed flats near the city centre (i.e. 2 full sized doubles, dining kitchen, bathroom, boxroom plus actual storage cupboards) are still stubbornly sticking around the 250k mark. Not sure if they can hold that level as public sector job losses mount and wages get cut, inflation remains "surprisingly" high, and talk of interest rate rises hang in the air.

In our area I would say we are still down about 10%-15% from peak (was a bit more a year back) and the West End looks to be about 15% down.

The two bed flats in West End are stubbonly sticking at around 250k, but for a short while they were going to nearer 300k (in the crazy sealed bids days).

Those days have gone, thankfully we never bought one via that route.

I'm wondering if anyone was aware what was happening on HPC.co.uk.

A lot of the posters who have been there for a long time have had their accounts moderated (posts have to be approved by the moderator before they appear) and some have been banned - some temporarily and some, including myself, permanently.

There's a Stalinist streak over there. Mention the censorship and the bannings and you get moderated too.

I believe Dr Bubb has had a taste of this treatment.

The more we dig into it the more we find over the years lots of people have just 'disappeared'.

The whole thing stinks.

I'm wondering if anyone was aware what was happening on HPC.co.uk.

A lot of the posters who have been there for a long time have had their accounts moderated (posts have to be approved by the moderator before they appear) and some have been banned - some temporarily and some, including myself, permanently.

There's a Stalinist streak over there. Mention the censorship and the bannings and you get moderated too.

I believe Dr Bubb has had a taste of this treatment.

The more we dig into it the more we find over the years lots of people have just 'disappeared'.

The whole thing stinks.

Some of the Regulars have complained to me.

And I have asked to be voluntarily suspended twice in the last month,

to restrain myself from becoming abusive

Some of the Regulars have complained to me.

And I have asked to be voluntarily suspended twice in the last month,

to restrain myself from becoming abusive

Interesting.

I'd like to know what's started this bizarre behaviour on the part of HPC.

The most annoying thing is you're not given any information about being banned. You just try to log in and you find out then. No email explaining. Nothing.

The word on HPC was you didn't like the way the place was going so you voluntarily jumped ship.

Were you moderated then banned?

Well, yes, this is actually pretty much how it was. The gold thread got moved from the main forum into a dusty corner, which I didn't like. At some stage I decided to leave the mad house and told some other people about it. I think that was when they shut down my account to avoid a further drain of other people, but I was already gone.

Well, yes, this is actually pretty much how it was. The gold thread got moved from the main forum into a dusty corner, which I didn't like. At some stage I decided to leave the mad house and told some other people about it. I think that was when they shut down my account to avoid a further drain of other people, but I was already gone.

Seems that's what happened to a load of other people.

Except these other people are fighting back!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I see now.

You fell for the whole political art form that is claiming credit for something that had nothing to do with them.

This is of course bullshit, but it's not your fault, and no one can blame you for being taken in by the elaborate propaganda, misdirection, and blatant lies. I often forget how ignorant we all really are.

It's an unfortunate consequence that when politicians claim credit for things that were nothing to do with them, they also end up taking the blame when it all goes wrong. In the real world politicians are rather the scapegoats for all the rafts of permanent statists who are really pulling the strings, you can usually see them realise this by the decay in their face: All under the direction of her Royal inbred ladyship and family.

To see what is really going on behind the curtain you merely have to open it and see what's outside. it's not particularly pleasant, a bit gruesome even; mixed with a few home truths which sting like a wasp. You have to be fairly confident in your sanity to take that step, and be well prepared for the lambasting which comes with it, but in the end it's the only way to see the sunrise.

k1292503.jpg

Yes the mods / admin became unsustainable after I joined a new forum.

I'm sure you guys are all right about that.

Remember, I am open to suggestions about how to make GEI a better place.

But of course, I do not want it to be a clone of HPC. I think we can maintain a bit more serious

and maybe "collegial" style of discussion here

Overbearing mods are not part of an ideal formula. But we do need to draw the line, at times.

thanks for your understanding

Maybe one of the "Former HPC Addicts", would like to start a "UK Property Market Diary" here.

It could prove very popular.

I'm sure you guys are all right about that.

Remember, I am open to suggestions about how to make GEI a better place.

But of course, I do not want it to be a clone of HPC. I think we can maintain a bit more serious

and maybe "collegial" style of discussion here

Overbearing mods are not part of an ideal formula. But we do need to draw the line, at times.

thanks for your understanding

You seem to understand the idea that an alternative viewpoint is not a banning offence. :)

And that's good.

You seem to understand the idea that an alternative viewpoint is not a banning offence. :)

And that's good.

Sure.

It is the lack of respect for others, if someone shows it, that will get people suspended.

Sure.

It is the lack of respect for others, if someone shows it, that will get people suspended.

Hmmmmm.

At what point does a heated disagreement become a lack of respect?

And why should anyone need to interfere?

Pretty sure either A&K or myself would have got ourselves banned if we had some of the PM discussions we've had on the open forum.

That we kept it out of sight is the forums loss not ours....

People all to often hit that "report" button when they realise they've lost an argument, and the mods end up sending the wrong people away.

If the people who lost also happen to be moderators.

Well, I think we've all experienced that.

Archived