Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

This is exactly what troubles me !

GOM, I am afraid that I would class you as a true FOPP right now,

Many FOPPs have been aggressively abusing and ridiculing those who were bearish, or even just firmly neutral

on Gold, and merely trying to present a more balanced view.

When the price turned lower, and it was the FOPPs' turn to take a bit of teasing and moderate ridicule,

they got angry, or just ran away.

remember not everyone bought in dollars, I bought in Euros for example. Not much of a drop....

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but to be fair, I have to give you some credit Bubb (even though it pains me to do so) for leaving the 24knews sig on our user accounts. :)

No doubt you have seen the action at that site. At least now you are not amongst the worst moderators any more. :D your crown has been taken in an absolute autocratic style that has made even the hardened virtual posters like myself wince with shock. :o

??

To be honest, GOM. I havent a clue what you are talking about.

Are 24K having moderation "issues" already?

I considerered dropping in, and tossing some mud around there. But after about 10 minutes the idea passed,

as I realised I had better (and maybe more profitable) ways to spend my time.

And I also began to notice some of my favorite GEI posters happily posting here, and thought - we may lose

a few good ones, but I reckon we will keep a solid core, and grow into an even better website than before,

When the price turned lower, and it was the FOPPs' turn to take a bit of teasing and moderate ridicule,

they got angry, or just ran away.

Not all CIGAs are that childish Bubb. :rolleyes: Also, you seem to somewhat enjoy this whole argument.

The PBPP (Paper Bug Pied Pipers) just have a short term/trader view, that's all (always the same "problem").

remember not everyone bought in dollars, I bought in Euros for example. Not much of a drop....

GOM, I have nothing but good hopes for your investing.

But, guess what, you'd have been better off moving into US$ and C$, like me.

And if you can get the Put-buying right, you can do even better than I have.

As I wrote, something went nuclear. Hence, not many traces of it:

http://www.24knews.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125

* Report this post

Say Bye Bye

Postby Ziknik » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:27 pm

Thank you very much to Pixel8r & his team for a wonderful forum.

I've very much enjoyed my stay here and hope to see you all in the future.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Bye Bye

:D

Ziknik

Ziknik

Donator

Donator

* Private message

* E-mail Ziknik

* Report this post

Re: Say Bye Bye

Postby Pixel8r » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Ziknik wrote:Thank you very much to Pixel8r & his team for a wonderful forum.

Bye Bye

Ziknik

I am sorry to see you go, I guess the issues with swampy are to much for some. I will refund your donation if you like, just send me a PM.

"Two powerful forces, paper money and gold, are now locked in mortal combat. The combatants, however, are proxies for far more fundamental forces. Paper money is a proxy for private banking and government power—and gold is a proxy for freedom." - Darryl Robert Schoon

Pixel8r

Founder

Founder

* Private message

* E-mail Pixel8r

* Website

* Report this post

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:24 am

It's the deletion that was the issue. Nothing to do with swampy, he can fight his own battles, it's not my personal business.

Re the donation: I'm quite happy for you to use it towards the costs of this site. Nothing has changed on that front.

* Report this post

Postby grumpy-old-man » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:18 am

Ziknik wrote:Thank you very much to Pixel8r & his team for a wonderful forum.

Bye Bye

Ziknik

ziknik, I posted the text below in the swampy departed thread, but only logged in members can see it. It was in reply to Pixel8r's last post. Cheers, GOM.

"I wouldn't have had swampy down as a liar.

Also you sending him a final pm through the sites software titled "bye bye idiot" I find incredible. I have seen the personal messages you sent.

You should not have deleted his posts, nor should you have banned him by IP. You have handled this worse than Bubb et al imo Pixel8r........

as lowrent so aptly said:

absolute power corrupts absolutely.

There is nothing more to say on the matter. I won't be posting any more on this site, hiow can I. This is worse than GEI from a moderation pov.

Also, going for donations & google ads within days of setting up a new site is not the way forward imo.

ziknik, respect from GOM & swampy. Others who commented........thanks also."

GOM, I have nothing but good hopes for your investing.

But, guess what, you'd have been better off moving into US$ and C$, like me.

And if you can get the Put-buying right, you can do even better than I have.

I definetly won't make as much money as you BUT I am 99.9% sure that I am totally safe & protected as best I can, & that's what matters for me.

Not all CIGAs are that childish Bubb. :rolleyes: Also, you seem to somewhat enjoy this whole argument.

The PBPP (Paper Bug Pied Pipers) just have a short term/trader view, that's all (always the same "problem").

I enjoy some images of JS as a Piper, but I think it fits his behaviour so very well.

Beyond that, I do feel like some of the mud thrown in my direction needed to be returned.

(Such a return fits a deeply ingrained sense of symmetry and fairness that is built into me.)

I actually thought some mild teasing involving Sinclair's image and role, would be less devisive than

picking on individual FOPPs. (GOM's an exception, he likes his role as a sort of court jester, and mixer-upper

here. And I nearly always find him more amusing than abrasive. But if he throws eggs, he needs the odd

egg or mud in return - or he may morph into something worse.)

At least now you are not amongst the worst moderators any more. :D your crown has been taken in an absolute autocratic style that has made even the hardened virtual posters like myself wince with shock. :o

GOM, believe me, if you were a site owner you would either run exactly into the same problems (and would be "shocked" about yourself :lol:), or you would not interfer at all, until the police (or someone) would have to do it for you.

Actually, Mike, the aggressive actions/reactions is often a pretty important indication of a major top !

Remember UK property in 2007?

By major top do you mean a once in a generation high or do you see gold going higher in a couple of years?

I am not that bothered about the price of gold as I hold it as a hedge against inflation and or currency devaluation but I would be disappointed if it fell back to $250 because I would lose quite a bit. I bought about a third of my gold in 1999 at an "astonishingly low" price and the rest I bought at prices between $800 and $920. I actually bought and sold some gold between $450 and $630 and wish now that I hadn't had to sell it as I only did so because I was going through a bad patch.

Personally I think we will see inflation in the US and the UK within about 2 years and gold will be effective at protecting investors in this scenario. I admit that I could be wrong and think there is a 30% chance that I am wrong.

I remember when we thought $1000 was a distant dream. It has done very well in the last few years but I will stick with it a bit longer.

I definetly won't make as much money as you BUT I am 99.9% sure that I am totally safe & protected as best I can, & that's what matters for me.

I'd guess that a lot on this site would agree with you... that in the long term your investment will do very well.

I never quite got why fopps [followers/ friends of...] couldn't appreciate that there are "different strokes for different folks". A strategy that suits one person, might not suit everyone... even though the end goal is quite similiar. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the old fopps back posting... less dogmatically, and with more tolerance of differing [not necessarily opposing] views.

By major top do you mean a once in a generation high or do you see gold going higher in a couple of years?

I am not that bothered about the price of gold as I hold it as a hedge against inflation and or currency devaluation but I would be disappointed if it fell back to $250 because I would lose quite a bit. I bought about a third of my gold in 1999 at an "astonishingly low" price and the rest I bought at prices between $800 and $920. I actually bought and sold some gold between $450 and $630 and wish now that I hadn't had to sell it as I only did so because I was going through a bad patch.

I really do not know yet (to be honest.)

But probably a top which needs a correct to at least $1000-1050 over several months, and maybe even much lower.

I have an idea of what I will be watching for my next buy signal. And I hope it works better in 2010 or 2011.

I got a very low confidence buy signal in August-Sept, 2009, so I hope the next one is stronger or easier to detect.

??

To be honest, GOM. I havent a clue what you are talking about.

I considerered dropping in, and tossing some mud around there. But after about 10 minutes the idea passed,

as I realised I had better (and maybe more profitable) ways to spend my time.

And I also began to notice some of my favorite GEI posters happily posting here, and thought - we may lose

a few good ones, but I reckon we will keep a solid core, and grow into an even better website than before,

Yes they are. Not surprisingly it revolved around Swampy.

So far as I could tell, he was misrepresenting Pixel and (whether delibrately or not) making him out to be inept and untruthful.

Whatever.

To be fair, I think Pixel is trying hard to create the kind of site he wants and why not. Swampy is clearly a bright guy but his ego is massive and wherever he seems to post the site inevitably ends up being about him. He shoud set his own place up rather than slating the sites of others.

GOM I know you disagree with this, but I feel strongly that the site owner has every right to run his forum as he wants it. Clearly if he becomes trigger happy he will lose posters but equally inertia is no answer.

It's a shame in one sense that a new site has had to come about, but I think it will work well. Both owners have a clear idea as to the kind of forum they want and so I expect there to be a lot less mud slinging going forward.

GOM, believe me, if you were a site owner you would either run exactly into the same problems (and would be "shocked" about yourself :lol:), or you would not interfer at all, until the police (or someone) would have to do it for you.

Agreed.

Moderation is no treat.

I tried "amazing tolerance" for a long time here, and it came to be abused, especially when I was asleep.

So far as I could tell, he was misrepresenting Pixel and (whether delibrately or not) making him out to be inept and untruthful.

. . .

To be fair, I think Pixel is trying hard to create the kind of site he wants and why not. Swampy is clearly a bright guy but his ego is massive and wherever he seems to post the site inevitably ends up being about him. He shoud set his own place up rather than slating the sites of others.

LOL. I shouldnt laugh, but somehow it is all so predictable.

And there's a certain irony to it, since many seem to think we treated the Swamp-man unfairly,

when in fact, we tried so hard to get him to stay and behave.

GOM I know you disagree with this, but I feel strongly that the site owner has every right to run his forum as he wants it. Clearly if he becomes trigger happy he will lose posters but equally inertia is no answer.

It's a shame in one sense that a new site has had to come about, but I think it will work well. Both owners have a clear idea as to the kind of forum they want and so I expect there to be a lot less mud slinging going forward.

I wish Pixel well, so long as he doesnt come fishing here too often. He definitely made some worthwhile

contributions here, and I will miss that.

If his site is really something different than people can choose what they are looking for, and the posters

will build the sort of discussions that they find most worthwhile. There are probably many types of discussions

which will work here, that would not work there - and vice versa.

As I wrote, something went nuclear. Hence, not many traces of it:

http://www.24knews.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125

Ziknik's welcome here.

I forgot why he left

Whatever.

I think Swampy would be best suited to having his own blog. Perhaps he already has one, but in a different name?

I enjoy some images of JS as a Piper, but I think it fits his behaviour so very well.

Beyond that, I do feel like some of the mud thrown in my direction needed to be returned.

(Such a return fits a deeply ingrained sense of symmetry and fairness that is built into me.)

I actually thought some mild teasing involving Sinclair's image and role, would be less devisive than

picking on individual FOPPs. (GOM's an exception, he likes his role as a sort of court jester, and mixer-upper

here. And I nearly always find him more amusing than abrasive. But if he throws eggs, he needs the odd

egg or mud in return - or he may morph into something worse.)

Humour and banter is one thing and I like GOM, just wish he'd call truce sometimes.

GOM you just don't seem to appreciate not everyone has a rhino hide. :)

There are far worse though who are never content to debate/educate by thoughtful response, instead merely seem to want to score points for self esteem rather than encourage greater awareness of markets, society or the elites that would happily control humble ignoramuses like me.

Shame we can't accept there is always a different point of view, as only a fool considers one side of an argument. Something from lurking on the new site they happily recognised and wanted. Beats me why some would harass to the point of submission an alternative view.

I have been asked to mod on several sites & with my background in IT wouldn't find it a problem, but never have. I could very easily set up a website myself (& indeed was asked to do so ;), but said no).

If you remember I commented on this very site that all websites are doomed to fail eventually unless it's completely subscription based imo.

Humour and banter is one thing and I like GOM, just wish he'd call truce sometimes.

GOM you just don't seem to appreciate not everyone has a rhino hide. :)

There are far worse though who are never content to debate/educate by thoughtful response, instead merely seem to want to score points for self esteem rather than encourage greater awareness of markets, society or the elites that would happily control humble ignoramuses like me.

Shame we can't accept there is always a different point of view, as only a fool considers one side of an argument. Something from lurking on the new site they happily recognised and wanted. Beats me why some would harass to the point of submission an alternative view.

fair comments.... :)

Whatever.

no worries, I am fed up with it all now anyway.

tried the Judean's Peoples Front, then the Popular Front of Judea....all websites of this nature are doomed to failure, it's inevitable & I have said it before.

fook me, where now ?? :lol:

nowhere actually :o , I am getting tired of virtual posting, Pluto's right, we all need to put our hand bags down & start reading/learning/understanding more (& less posting for me).

The pleasant tolerant atmosphere on GEI has defiantly returned since the exodus. I just hope that we can now recognise the problem for what it was and implement some guidelines and basic posting rules to stop the site from being trolled, without the usual 'your a nazi trying to control me' type comments from those who wish to shut down debate.

I think that Pixil8r will do well on the new forum, I can see what he is trying to do and I think there can be a friendly cross over between both sites. But even Pix has now recognised the need for some basic rules for posting standards, and the need to edit threads, keep thread on topic and delete offensive comments. Funny when people suggested that here they were labeled control freaks, nazis, dictators etc.. It would be good to hear Pixil8r input and the lessons he has learnt, the posting standard that Pixil8r is applying would be good to see at GEI.

GEI was a party/investor meeting that was taking place on DrBubbs property, it was a good place open to all, but eventually a few trolls crashed the party and lowered the standards and when people complained about their behaviour, it was claimed that the problem was that the older posters were intolerant towards free speech and that it was the older posters calling for standards that were the problem. So many of the older posters left.

Eventually the only active posters were the trolls who had no one else left to blame for the state of the forum so they decided to blame the host DrBubb, this is an untenable position to hold for any period of time and I almost expected DrBubb to pull the plug on the whole site. Fortunately Pixil8r led an exodus to a new forum and is now encountering all the old problems that we used to have here. It seems the trolls are now turning on him, I just hope they don't all come crawling back here. But if they do then we should put some posting standards in place to prevent things going back to how they were.

Trolling leaves a site feeling paranoid, and sometimes this will make posters suspicious towards new posters and treat them harshly, there is nothing wrong with being a gold bug ( I am one myself) but trolling and abusive posting and spaming should not be tolerated.

Archived