Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

Another completely pointless thread where people bicker about gold etc.

It is less about Gold, than other issues.

Why not post something that takes it into more useful ground?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad you feel this way.

Not at all. But it is obvious that there is less posting here,

and certain once prolific posters have stopped posting at all.

Two things do upset me, if/when they happened:

+ People make disruptive, abusive, or offensive posts here, to try to get people on GEI to leave here,

+ People from other sites come "fishing" here, to attract members elsewhere*

Over time, if the relationship stays friendly in both directions, they should attract different types

of discussion, and share many members.

I do hope that regular readers of GEI will find they make more money, by entertaining multiple

points of view.

== ==

*(Some may see an irony in that statement, since I have been accused of doing that on other websites.

But if you look at my postings there, they are mostly of two types: clones of informative posts that

I make here, or unique postings for GEI which are intended to add value, or expand a discussion

on an existing thread. If they attract members to GEI, fine. But that is not their primary purpose,

and my posts there seem to be read alot and are reasonable popular.)

I enjoy the knowledge and diversity of opinion here on GEI, I still visit HPC and have been to 24K.

I'm still not sure what all the fuss was about but there does seem to be less 'noise' to filter to continue my education.

[returns to lurk mode :rolleyes: ]

Not exactly.

That's a derogatory definition of:

Friends of the Pied Piper (a mildly derogatory name for Jim Sinclair, "mr.Gold" Bug)

And it applies mainly to people who left GEI because they did not want to read two-way opinions

about Gold, or hated seeing Piper bodies with the JS head imposed on top. (there's a thread

collecting those images in the Fringe section, for those who find them amusing.)

Whatever reasons others may have had for posting over at 24knews, it was certainly not because they wanted to escape from debate. In my own case, I was abused by another poster - a post to which you replied having deleted the part that abused me. You seem keen on having civilised debates but do seem to suffer from partiality - especially to those that fawn over you.

Edit: It is all pretty academic now as the lights seem to have gone off over at 24k due to thread deletions - I will not post there again due to this.

... do seem to suffer from partiality - especially to those that fawn over you.

Like you, I suppose. Haha

Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

Do you miss the FOPPs?

========================================

Good riddance to the 1-way Gold rampers !

Those that left were creating too much friction here, and the site is running better.

(Frankly, I got sick and tired of running a free website and dealing with so many battles.

No doubt, some of the conflict was designed to destroy the good feeling on this website,

and make people eager to try a new home. When I first realised that, I was rather angry.

But to be honest, I have better things to do with my time than worry about what Jim Sinclair

and his over-enthused followers think.)

I much prefer those who want a balanced view to a Gold cheering circle.

BTW, I made some nice gains on some of those stocks, like SLW, that I bought below $4.00.

Also, since September, I made a 4x-5x bagger on one of my larger positions. But I didnt tell

everyone in the world they had to jump in, and were "evil" not to be buying.

The next big opportunity may be in Juniors, possibly as early as January, if things line up right.

This thread is a good place to have a discussion about the future of the website, and whether

anyone here misses the FOPPs and their arguments.

“In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value. If there were, the government would have to make its holding illegal, as was done in the case of gold. If everyone decided, for example, to convert all his bank deposits to silver or copper or any other good, and thereafter declined to accept checks as payment for goods, bank deposits would lose their purchasing power and government-created bank credit would be worthless as a claim on goods. The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.

This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists’ tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists’ antagonism toward the gold standard.”

Alan Greenspan, 1967

;)

???

"You seem keen on having civilised debates but do seem to suffer from partiality - especially to those that fawn over you."

Hey, I'm only human like all of us.

Please take it easy, S.

We want to stay respectful here even towards those you may disagree with.

What was the point of chasing away Halcyon. He had a different personality than yourself,

but that did not make him a problem poster.

I'd hate to have to choose between two posters.

But I sure would NOT want to see Harvipark chased away also

"You seem keen on having civilised debates but do seem to suffer from partiality - especially to those that fawn over you."

Please take it easy, S.

1. What was the point of chasing away Halcyon. He had a different personality than yourself,

2. I'd hate to have to choose between two posters.

But I sure would want to see Harvipark chased away also

1. I cannot imagine what you mean by this. It was my belief that Halcyon was not an ordinary person articulating his ideas - others believed this as well. I attempted to unmask the subtle and extremely clever sophistry he was using to mislead people.

2. I was asked by harvipark if I would promise not to post here at GEI - an impertinence which received a curt reply. Who is chasing away who here?

It's a bit like the film 28 days where the infection just keeps spreading... :)

I won't be contributing to these types of threads again. Consider it a small gesture in the hope to break the deadlock. See you in the gold thread!

Quite a zoo, isn't it?

Ignore them all and figure out yourself what you believe

Please take it easy, S.

What was the point of chasing away Halcyon. He had a different personality than yourself,

But I sure would want to see Harvipark chased away also

Wouldn't I wager that spell checker changed it, I would also at first usually spelt it as 'would'nt' but apparently its wouldn't.

It seems that some "who know who he really is", are somehow in awe of him.

Yet not knowing his identity, all I see is a mostly troublesome guy, who occasionally posts some useful material.

I dont get that either. I dont do the hero worship thing myself and to be honest with his past behaviour, i dont think i really want to know him whoever he is!

Cgnao is another self-appointed mysterian, but without the issue of being abrasive.

It will be interesting to see if he turns up as a regular on the other site

I always liked Cgnao and was obviously a very well connected and intelligent guy. Loved the sense of drama to his posts which is used to give a sense of mystique. And he wasnt driven away like some claim, he just chose not to post here anymore

I found the AGW debates very disturbing as I was in such a small minority defending a position that most people here think is utterly insane. It was a most bizarre experience to deal with the strength of feeling and incredible conviction of various posters on a subject that in no way can be said to be settled one way or the other. I think some of the sceptics in particular have been, in effect, trolling for their views without being prepared to accept they might be wrong or to provide proper arguments as to why the sceptical scientists are definitely more likely to be correct than the 'consenus' climate scientists. I am going avoid the AGW debates as they are just way too creepy.

People say things on forums they just wouldn't DARE to say to someone's face. And if they would dare to say these things to someone's face they are most probably sociopaths. They do not even know who the other person is, in most cases, and would probably be shocked in some cases if they found out.

Forums seem to attract people who feel they have all the answers and who think they have special insights into the workings of the world government, the illuminati and so on. In some cases they have valid insights and information. But they need to see themselves, almost at all costs, to be above the "sheeple". Having read with astonishment some of the posts on this site and on HPC I can only conclude that many posters exhibit most of the symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Anyone who contradicts their views is ridiculed. The very behaviour of which they accuse their enemies is indulged in to epic proportions.

The ones who know the most shout the least.

Good post Mike

Narcissism/Sociopathy is a subject i have studied at great length after realising that a former partner was a Sociopath and my former best friend was Narcissistic. You can study the subject ad nauseum, but you will never really grasp the concept until you are closely involved with someone with one of these personality disorders

Edit: It is all pretty academic now as the lights seem to have gone off over at 24k due to thread deletions - I will not post there again due to this.

It's pretty amazing how things could blow up so quickly over there. My guess is that the Followers of Swampy (FOS) thought it would be some sort of Caribean paradise until they realised that the fight over the coconuts just went on as on that other island they had just left (GEI). Anyway, it's early days for 24Knews, so it will be interesting to see how it develops from here.

The good thing from this story is really that it shows how generous Bubb and other mods were with Swampy and his closest FOS when things were brewing here on GEI.

It's pretty amazing how things could blow up so quickly over there. My guess is that the Followers of Swampy (FOS) thought it would be some sort of Caribean paradise until they realised that the fight over the coconuts just went on as on that other island they had just left (GEI). Anyway, it's early days for 24Knews, so it will be interesting to see how it develops from here.

The good thing from this story is really that it shows how generous Bubb and other mods were with Swampy and his closest FOS when things were brewing here on GEI.

Many forums take months or even over a year to build up a decent membership. 24knews is only 2 weeks old now and shows promise.

As 24knews is more specifically PM-focused I do not see it in very direct competition with this site, especially as it seems that more of the members there are of the buy-and-hold type.

It will develop its own distinct character defined by the posting members.

I agree that DrBubb and others were lenient.

I really dislike all the ad hominems which were being thrown around before and hope things calm down now. I don't mind people expressing criticism but they should do it in a moderate manner which is not too offensive.

GOM is good at speaking his mind without offending people much. Maybe it's his down-to-earth sense of humour.

Good post Mike

Narcissism/Sociopathy is a subject i have studied at great length after realising that a former partner was a Sociopath and my former best friend was Narcissistic. You can study the subject ad nauseum, but you will never really grasp the concept until you are closely involved with someone with one of these personality disorders

be very careful wrt applying labels that were created so that a profession could exist.

This science <_< was created so that governments could dispose of people who did not agree with them.

This has been covered on GEI before:

edit - wasn't it Bubb who labelled swampy as bi-polar ?? if not someone did....

Apologies to Harvipark

But I sure would NOT want to see Harvipark chased away also

I posted in a hurry, and left out the crucial word: "NOT", now added above

Not sure what to make of that Bubb..just to clarify that i am fighting your corner here!!

Please note my apology for a silly typo, leaving a word out.

I value your postings here !

1. I cannot imagine what you mean by this. It was my belief that Halcyon was not an ordinary person articulating his ideas - others believed this as well. I attempted to unmask the subtle and extremely clever sophistry he was using to mislead people.

2. I was asked by harvipark if I would promise not to post here at GEI - an impertinence which received a curt reply. Who is chasing away who here?

S.,

Your posts can have "sharp edges", at times. Perhaps that is what he meant,

plus a bit of teasing. If you had taken it that way, he would have meant it that way, I reckon.

He took my typo mildly, and I think no damage was done, where none was intended

I found the AGW debates very disturbing as I was in such a small minority defending a position that most people here think is utterly insane. It was a most bizarre experience to deal with the strength of feeling and incredible conviction of various posters on a subject that in no way can be said to be settled one way or the other. I think some of the sceptics in particular have been, in effect, trolling for their views without being prepared to accept they might be wrong or to provide proper arguments as to why the sceptical scientists are definitely more likely to be correct than the 'consenus' climate scientists. I am going avoid the AGW debates as they are just way too creepy.

People say things on forums they just wouldn't DARE to say to someone's face. And if they would dare to say these things to someone's face they are most probably sociopaths. They do not even know who the other person is, in most cases, and would probably be shocked in some cases if they found out.

Forums seem to attract people who feel they have all the answers and who think they have special insights into the workings of the world government, the illuminati and so on. In some cases they have valid insights and information. But they need to see themselves, almost at all costs, to be above the "sheeple". Having read with astonishment some of the posts on this site and on HPC I can only conclude that many posters exhibit most of the symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Anyone who contradicts their views is ridiculed. The very behaviour of which they accuse their enemies is indulged in to epic proportions.

The ones who know the most shout the least.

I'm a sceptic on AGW but I completely agree with your comments about the debate. The zealots on both sides dominate and destroy what could be a rational discussion about evidence and the inferences that can be drawn from it. Clive James wrote a terrific radio essay on AGW for the BBC ("A Point of View") that has some typically pithy things to say - unfortunately its probably been removed from Listen Again as broadcasts only stay up for a week - but well worth a listen if you can get to hear it.

I think you are also right about the way e-communication can remove some of the (maybe inbuilt) inhibitors that help to keep face-to-face communication civil (defeasibly, of course). It's interesting to me that some of the most successful companies have rules about how email is used for internal communication - and for the same reason. These include not using email when the exchange involves significant emotion. Nokia, I'm told, has sacked people for failing to do this. Their rationale is that the long term health of the company is more imprtant than keeping even a talented but disruptive individual. Like forums, email can be highly disruptive and amplify conflict. The solution is to have clear rules and, like Nokia, enforce them when necessary.

People take everything too seriously. The zealots (on both sides) should be allowed to post as long as they refrain from abuse/rudeness etc.

Read the arguments (be they simplistic or complex) and take your own strategy. I hardly think there is an issue with mind-control or hypnotism here.

Archived