Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

I found the AGW debates very disturbing as I was in such a small minority defending a position that most people here think is utterly insane. It was a most bizarre experience to deal with the strength of feeling and incredible conviction of various posters on a subject that in no way can be said to be settled one way or the other. I think some of the sceptics in particular have been, in effect, trolling for their views without being prepared to accept they might be wrong or to provide proper arguments as to why the sceptical scientists are definitely more likely to be correct than the 'consenus' climate scientists. I am going avoid the AGW debates as they are just way too creepy.

People say things on forums they just wouldn't DARE to say to someone's face. And if they would dare to say these things to someone's face they are most probably sociopaths. They do not even know who the other person is, in most cases, and would probably be shocked in some cases if they found out.

Forums seem to attract people who feel they have all the answers and who think they have special insights into the workings of the world government, the illuminati and so on. In some cases they have valid insights and information. But they need to see themselves, almost at all costs, to be above the "sheeple". Having read with astonishment some of the posts on this site and on HPC I can only conclude that many posters exhibit most of the symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Anyone who contradicts their views is ridiculed. The very behaviour of which they accuse their enemies is indulged in to epic proportions.

The ones who know the most shout the least.

Whilst I sympathise with what you are saying I have to admit that re AGW (NOT climate change, btw because it is accepted by ALL that the climate changes) I am in the sceptic camp. I also find that the sceptics are more open to debate than the pros - but that could just be because of my bias. For instance, Lord Monckton is unfailingly polite, but I have seen footage of pro-AGWists who go in for finger-pointing, raised voices and downright dismissal of opposing views. They appear to me to be very intolerant and very angry people.

Mind you, it is usually those that espouse as opposed to question the status quo that are most likely to fall into a pseudo-religious zealotry. It always reminds me of the drug-pusher who must convert others to justify his own aberration.

Anyway, it is nice to have a reasoned debate without ad homs and other insults attached. I am not of a mind to convert anyone to my opinions - whatever the subject - although I can and will make every attempt to give a reasoned defence. But I am more than happy to agree to differ.

And that's what I find strange - the inability to agree to differ that some display. So what if others disagree - it's a free world. We are all entitled to our own opinions. But if we wish our opinions to be heard then surely we should do others the courtesy of listening to theirs - especially when they oppose our own. That's just good manners. It's very easy to listen to those who agree with one, but it takes effort and patience and tolerance to give attention to an opposing view - but in my experience it pays off in the long run. There's nearly always something of worth to be gained from listening to a counter-opinion, even if one doesn't adopt it in its entirety.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a shitstorm in a teacup... I haven't said anything bad about cdswamp, but I've never known one person to cause so much damage on so many sites, no forum is better off with someone as destructive as this. I think everyone tried and probably tried harder than was warranted, but of course this all falls on deaf ears and changes nothing, perhaps both sites will now calm down, I was starting to think the problems were stray cosmic rays or solar flares, but in the end I think it's just cdswamp.

Now, I am curious I feel like everyone is talking about me, thinking I have left the room when I never announced I was going to. I don't mean me specifically, but the long term gold {bugs/bulls} that have also joined 24knews, has something happened that I'm not aware of? Apart from one person I can think of, noone has said they've left this site but there is certainly an air about the posts on GEI that indicate we have. Is this a "you're not in our gang" type of thing? I don't mean that in a fascitious way, but I'm still a member at HPC, GEI and 24knews, do I have to choose who I feel most `loyal` to? If so someone needs to say, because if not then I'm not sure why there are posts hinting this is the case.

Have I misunderstood or have we been run out of town?

What a shitstorm in a teacup... I haven't said anything bad about cdswamp, but I've never known one person to cause so much damage on so many sites, no forum is better off with someone as destructive as this. I think everyone tried and probably tried harder than was warranted, but of course this all falls on deaf ears and changes nothing, perhaps both sites will now calm down, I was starting to think the problems were stray cosmic rays or solar flares, but in the end I think it's just cdswamp.

Now, I am curious I feel like everyone is talking about me, thinking I have left the room when I never announced I was going to. I don't mean me specifically, but the long term gold {bugs/bulls} that have also joined 24knews, has something happened that I'm not aware of? Apart from one person I can think of, noone has said they've left this site but there is certainly an air about the posts on GEI that indicate we have. Is this a "you're not in our gang type of thing?" I don't mean that in a fascitious way, but I'm still a member at HPC, GEI and 24knews, do I have to choose who I feel most `loyal` to? If so someone needs to say, because if not then I'm not sure why there are posts hinting this is the case.

I think some of the language on all sides has at times been too emotive and it shows what can happen when things go to far. Speaking for myself you are welcome here and just because you may have joined another site doesn't make any difference at all.

Now, I am curious I feel like everyone is talking about me, thinking I have left the room when I never announced I was going to. I don't mean me specifically, but the long term gold {bugs/bulls} that have also joined 24knews, has something happened that I'm not aware of? Apart from one person I can think of, noone has said they've left this site but there is certainly an air about the posts on GEI that indicate we have. Is this a "you're not in our gang" type of thing? I don't mean that in a fascitious way, but I'm still a member at HPC, GEI and 24knews, do I have to choose who I feel most `loyal` to? If so someone needs to say, because if not then I'm not sure why there are posts hinting this is the case.

There are plenty of good posters on 24k and I am sure that the two sites can co-exist to the benefit of all, I would just like to see some basic standards set in-place that prevent disruptive behaviour lowering the standards of posting and communication between posters. The recent changes Pixil8r has implemented on his site would solve many of the problems we have seen in the past on GEI.

Theres no ill will from me towards people posting on both sites, but its poor form for posters like GOM who have been undermining and slating GEI/ DrBubb by criticising perceived heavy handed moderation here, only to go to a new forum then come running back critising Pixil8rs perceived heavy handed moderation when he has attempted to set basic standards.

GOM, I would never call you a liar, but I assume you didn't mean it when you said that you would never post on here again? At the time I was sorry to see you go.

:D :D

I wondered when that would bite me on the ar$e. You got me No6, but it's not really in the same vain as lying though. It's not like me either, because when I say something I always do it.

I am nearly done so don't worry.

I have nothing in common with people whose primary function in life is to make lot's of money. So I was on a loser from the start tbh.

I have always known this to be the case, especially on here as it's a site for investors. I am the square peg in the round hole.

However, there are a few posters on here that could be saved/rescued & have probably done a bit of soul searching themselves lately. There are a few that are likeminded imo but don't like ruffling feathers like I do.......

Thanks for this, it's appreciated!

I think some of the language on all sides has at times been too emotive and it shows what can happen when things go to far. Speaking for myself you are welcome here and just because you may have joined another site doesn't make any difference at all.

:D :D

I wondered when that would bite me on the ar$e. You got me No6, but it's not really in the same vain as lying though. It's not like me either, because when I say something I always do it.

I have nothing in common with people whose primary function in life is to make lot's of money. So I was on a loser from the start tbh.

I have always known this to be the case, especially on here as it's a site for investors. I am the square peg in the round hole.

However, there are a few posters on here that could be saved/rescued & have probably done a bit of soul searching themselves lately. There are a few that are likeminded imo but don't like ruffling feathers like I do.......

I wasn't trying to catch you out, but I was surprised when you came back. I'd have preferred that you didn't feel the need to leave in the first place, but you clearly felt very strongly about it at the time.

As for the money thing, just because this is an investment forum you shouldn't think that we all feel the same way about it or approach money as the b all and end all. To be clear, it is not my God and it is all an illusion, I just ride the system as best I can. As Einstein said, reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

GOM - genuinely help me out here i am confused as to whether swampy was telling fibs or not;

1 - pix stated from the start that swampy had informed him he didn't want to have anything more to do with 24k because of pix removing an offensive post re., dr. b & S. Net.

2 - swampy said this was not the case and he found himself reading his own obituary thread etc.

3 - pix. posts an email where swampy clearly states he doesn't want anything more to do with the site etc (because of the reason stated in point 1)

i am genuinely asking you is someone telling fibs here?

Hi double-agent,

I wasn't ignoring your post & saw it quite a while ago but had to go out.

I have just spoken to swampy so yhm shortly, so check your GEI account for details regarding your questions.

Hope not GOM, because like this post, i've seen others before from you that speaks volumes of your worth being here.

this current climate does seem to be showing posters for their true moral worth doesn't it.

just to clarify I am not rich in monetary worth, but I am rich in love. 2 fantastic children & a fantastic wife. It doesn't get any better than that imo.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....st&p=148413

Hope not GOM, because like this post, i've seen others before from you that speaks volumes of your worth being here.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....st&p=148413

thanks rigger. :)

I used to post a bit of actual economic related stuff & links etc also, with my take on it, but did more so on hpc. I did start again on 24k but that didn't last long.

When I joined GEI I felt like I needed to listen a bit more because my level of knowledge was a lot lower here than on hpc (in relation to finance/trading specific type stuff), but the more I listened I kept finding that I disagreed with basic fundamentals with a fair few posters. I assumed that everyone would be at the TFH level on here, so climate change & o'bama etc would be a given that it was all a crock of sh1t. You should never assume though.......

so then I was amazed that people with such experience, far more than me in certain areas seemed to not know what was going on at the top level, but understood the intracacies of the markets........

that has been the crux of problem with a lot of posters.

Then when info comes out like climategate & O'Bombya sending 35,000 troops to afghanistan I assumed that their stance would change.......it didn't, so then I couldn't understand why...........

then you start thinking about VI's etc & hey presto...............we are right here right now..............

GOM - genuinely help me out here i am confused as to whether swampy was telling fibs or not;

1 - pix stated from the start that swampy had informed him he didn't want to have anything more to do with 24k because of pix removing an offensive post re., dr. b & S. Net.

2 - swampy said this was not the case and he found himself reading his own obituary thread etc.

3 - pix. posts an email where swampy clearly states he doesn't want anything more to do with the site etc (because of the reason stated in point 1)

i am genuinely asking you is someone telling fibs here?

it's a loooooooooong read double, ala swampy style inc all the usual spelling mistakes etc :D

he has literally saved the whole thread then copy & paste it to me in one email before it was all deleted.............but he has put text inbetween posts with timelines in etc.

Once you have read it you will know & see what has happened & who is to blame imo.

I will stick in a word doc for you ? & upload it to GEI in your pm

swampy also offered schaublin a copy of it also.

it's a loooooooooong read double, ala swampy style inc all the usual spelling mistakes etc :D

he has literally saved the whole thread then copy & paste it to me in one email before it was all deleted.............but he has put text inbetween posts with timelines in etc.

Once you have read it you will know & see what has happened & who is to blame imo.

thanks GOM (text is fine but .doc is cool as well)

edit - replied to pm

There are plenty of good posters on 24k and I am sure that the two sites can co-exist to the benefit of all

Couldn't agree more. I like GEI a lot better again now. Who wasn't sick of the endless sniping? I also like 24k. 24k has better accomodated the more trenchant apocalyptic goldbugs and this has certainly made a noticeable improvement to the focus of the various threads on GEI.

Cgnao is another self-appointed mysterian, but without the issue of being abrasive.

Actually, he has been quite abrasive too. Only, he leaves it qith one bad post and then disappears for days. While swampy would go into overdrive and swamp the forum with drivel.

It will be interesting to see if he turns up as a regular on the other site

I don't think so. Not enough traffic (yet).

Uiuiuiui. Now I am curious too. :)

Not at all. But it is obvious that there is less posting here,

and certain once prolific posters have stopped posting at all.

Two things do upset me, if/when they happened:

+ People make disruptive, abusive, or offensive posts here, to try to get people on GEI to leave here,

+ People from other sites come "fishing" here, to attract members elsewhere*

Over time, if the relationship stays friendly in both directions, they should attract different types

of discussion, and share many members.

I do hope that regular readers of GEI will find they make more money, by entertaining multiple

points of view.

== ==

*(Some may see an irony in that statement, since I have been accused of doing that on other websites.

But if you look at my postings there, they are mostly of two types: clones of informative posts that

I make here, or unique postings for HPC which are intended to add value, or expand a discussion

on an existing thread. If they attract members to GEI, fine. But that is not their primary purpose,

and my posts there seem to be read alot and are reasonable popular.)

It's a derogatory substitute for CIGA.

Not exactly.

That's a derogatory definition of:

Friends of the Pied Piper (a mildly derogatory name for Jim Sinclair, "mr.Gold" Bug)

And it applies mainly to people who left GEI because they did not want to read two-way opinions

about Gold, or hated seeing Piper bodies with the JS head imposed on top. (there's a thread

collecting those images in the Fringe section, for those who find them amusing.)

Archived