The Best of Youtube - Music

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is for one of our mods ;)

Two of my favourite tunes. The first is from 1977 and the second from 1982 both produced by electronic disco pioneer Patrick Cowley

Excellent stuff .............. pure disco isn't something I've greatly collected but it's not through a dislike, more through a lack of source of information on what, or more importantly who to research. Thanks for the link. Personally, the nearest I've explored to disco and one of my favourite all time "dance like no-one's looking" tune is this .......

Wasn't sure whether to post this as I suspect some people holding a certain position may incorrectly class this to be a 'derogatory commentry" post but I will assure it isn't. I just think that this tune has one of the finest rythm and percussion sections I've heard for an incredibly long time.

Don't worry this thread is out of bounds for that sort of thing. Both excellent tunes I might add although the linking is disabled for the Stone Roses. BTW how was DJ Cheeba?

You'll have to excuse the video on this next one, but I don't need to offer any excuses for the track. Nice rolling beat... :)

Excellent stuff .............. pure disco isn't something I've greatly collected but it's not through a dislike, more through a lack of source of information on what, or more importantly who to research. Thanks for the link. Personally, the nearest I've explored to disco and one of my favourite all time "dance like no-one's looking" tune is this .......

Wasn't sure whether to post this as I suspect some people holding a certain position may incorrectly class this to be a 'derogatory commentry" post but I will assure it isn't. I just think that this tune has one of the finest rythm and percussion sections I've heard for an incredibly long time.

Don't worry this thread is out of bounds for that sort of thing. Both excellent tunes I might add although the linking is disabled for the Stone Roses. BTW how was DJ Cheeba?

You'll have to excuse the video on this next one, but I don't need to offer any excuses for the track. Nice rolling beat... :)

Now the question i ask who should get the recognition for inventing that break ?

Could it be someone in North London during the late 80's ?

Loved this version I found on youtube, but after watching it I can't work out why I suddenly what to get a copy of Bill & Ted's excellent adventure ?

;)

Got the original Cheryl Lynn version somewhere in a box in the loft.

Love the era of mid to late 80's and the influence that a technology leap had upon music. The version you posted is probably a classic example and has been beefed up with the looped sample from James Brown's Funky Drummer, probably one of the most used break samples prior to the Winston's 'Amen Brother' break. (Also various Public Enemy (Bomb Squad) Samples)

(sample from 5:35)

Another example was this particular tune (also encorporates Faze-o's 'Riding High) which I'm in no doubt you recognise .............

Though for my pallette the original version by Rose Royce is unbeatable.

That's probably enough posting from me on this thread for a while as i'm sure to some it's an anoyance and blatant hogging of a thread. :-)

BTW how was DJ Cheeba?

Unfortunately a Thursday Night in central London is a logistical nightmare for me and I missed the gig but am still keeping any eye out for a more suitable venue ............ might gamble that perhaps he'll play the festival circuit later in the year (Big Chill or Bestival preferrably) and I'll catch his new set then.

If you like the style of his sets feel free to investigate more ..................... he's just released an audio set on Soundcloud here.

Ah shame. You've got to see these bands/DJ's when you can before they disappear. I've been stung a few times now! Thanks for the tip off I'll listen to the audio set later.

Just to mirror my eclectic music collection, here's something slightly different, just be grateful I didn't post their song called "Don't" which I have to say is a favourite of mine, the only problem is I want to smash the house up or drive at 173MPH when I listen to it... You know music's doing its job when it changes your behaviour! :)

Unfortunately a Thursday Night in central London is a logistical nightmare for me and I missed the gig but am still keeping any eye out for a more suitable venue ............ might gamble that perhaps he'll play the festival circuit later in the year (Big Chill or Bestival preferrably) and I'll catch his new set then.

If you like the style of his sets feel free to investigate more ..................... he's just released an audio set on Soundcloud here.

Personally I have real difficulty in trying to determine sometimes whether a break nowadays is sampled or freshly constructed as sample laws now limit how the sample is re-used in commercial recordings. There's the obvious breaks which to me stand out through familiarity but it is getting more and more difficult. To me this is a great shame as I personally love to investigate the use and source of samples and in doing so gain an appreciation of the complexity and craftmanship of the construction of a song which uses samples.

There are some artists/bands who still break boundaries and create modern breaks ...............

(tune gets a lot heavier at 3:00)

Seen all the above live and it is a wonder to see them replicate so closely their recordings.

Kind of looking for new directions of interest to investigate so appreciate all posts.

You've made your first sale! I've just bought Every Day by Cinematic Orchestra, thanks!

I'm in the same boat, I've stuck in a musical cul-de-sac and I'm slowly retracing my footsteps to find another way out, I'm always looking for new music but there hasn't been any revolutionary for quite a while now. I love broken beats, but it seems to need something else to take it further... I'm still looking. :)

This might be a bit violent for some and I'm sure the purists will hate it. He's done some really experimental stuff, some good some bad, but I love this album even though I've been listening to it for 12 years, it's still fresh in my mind. I saw him in Melbourne 10 years ago, it brings back good memories!

Personally I have real difficulty in trying to determine sometimes whether a break nowadays is sampled or freshly constructed as sample laws now limit how the sample is re-used in commercial recordings. There's the obvious breaks which to me stand out through familiarity but it is getting more and more difficult. To me this is a great shame as I personally love to investigate the use and source of samples and in doing so gain an appreciation of the complexity and craftmanship of the construction of a song which uses samples.

There are some artists/bands who still break boundaries and create modern breaks ...............

Seen all the above live and it is a wonder to see them replicate so closely their recordings.

Kind of looking for new directions of interest to investigate so appreciate all posts.