The Best of Youtube - Music

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love orchestras with some sort of trip hop/DNB undertone. I really wanted to see Unkle play this year, but a friend selfishly had his stag do on the only night I could make it, gutted, maybe next year. If you find anything similar on your travels let me know!

The Heritage Orchestra are also worth seeing. From their web page looks like they're doing a lot of dates in December.

As an aside, I've yet to hear Shadow's new LP but some of the pre-release stuff sounds good. After hooking up during Shadow's UK tour and looking at the various comments made both by him and by James Lavelle afterwards relating to the Old Blue Note club-nights I wouldn't be surprised to see them work together again even if it's just a retrospective club gig. (a lot of encouragement from their audience too!). It may never come off but I'm going to keep my ear to the ground for that one. ;-)

Yeah, I probably rate it the same. I couldn't rave about it to be honest, just thought it was, as you say, 'interesting'. Spent some of the weekend at a local folk festival milling around (and practising digeridoo!), though not my usual bag enjoyed some of the artists. This guy put in a good performance ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7pBb3Q6StM&NR=1

Welcome to the thread LC1.

Thanks for the welcome. That reminded me a bit of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKZip3IO0M

I empathise, I haven't watched TV in years... :D

BTW - Do you listen to 6 music?

Nice find Warpig. I've been trying to catch some of the BBC Proms when I can but missed this one.

*raises fist*

Damn you 'fickle' daughter and your need to watch celebrity big brother because 'all your friends watch it' whilst I miss my stuff !

Posted here previously but if you in case you haven't seen this ...........

Ah, sorry, hadn't read the whole thread! ;)

Great video on the Amen break....

Before I loved the Amen in Hip Hop I loved it in tunes like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJcZMLV3quw&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSS8Zxuzmkw&feature=player_embedded#!

Hope they haven't been posted already?!

Ah, sorry, hadn't read the whole thread! ;)

Great video on the Amen break....

Radio 6 (answering Warpig's earlier question too) also recently did an hour feature on the 'Amen' break, I'll try and dig out a link if it's still available for listening. I haven't had the chance to listen through many of the recent posts so sorry if I haven't given a response etc .........

Have managed to put some time aside tonight to catch up on this thread and thought I'd respond to a few posts ...........

@ LC1.

Nice first few tunes posted. May I enquire as to when the 'Hip Hop' you posted was released?

I did enjoy and can honestly say I've not heard before. The reason why I ask is that I grew up listening to Hip Hop. In retrospect I find it hard to put what I heard as a young teenager in any sort of chronological order, whether it was the chart release of 'Rapper's Delight', the harsh reality of 'The Message' or perhaps the release of the Streetsound's Electro series that I first heard and that got me hooked on that 'sound' and 'culture'. I spent a lot of my teens walking around school listening to hip hop whilst most of the kids in my 'age' peer group were listening to either 80's synth pop or later on bands like Simple Minds, U2 etc. My tastes in music often made me an outsider, I dressed differently, I acted differently ........................... hell I often even talked differently. I've often heard myself referred to (at school reunion type events) as the kid who always wore head phones and was a bit 'weird / scarey / unhinged'.

There was a point, and I'm yet to put my finger on a estimated date, where hip hop and me fell out of love. Sure I hear some 'good' stuff, stuff with the same kind of vibe which you posted, but there's also so much funking garbage out there. I'd hate to think people thought I was looking down on recent 'Rap' (as it seems it is now defined) but the spark that was once there for me has been missing. I have tried to analyse why and can't quite get my noggin' round it tbh. The Hip Hop I enjoyed was always a combination of the 4 elements .......... breakin' , graffiti , mc'ing and dj'ing and I guess when I hear something that doesn't inspire 4 elements then it falls short of the mark. Perhaps? I still don't to this day know why I fell out of love ................ anyway, a couple of tunes to be going on with ......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbb7CDFDucw

The above is the shortened version but wanted to post because the video also sets it's date. I can recall hearing their 'Jam on Revenge' blasting from a Ford Cortina at high volume and thinking "What the funk is that? Here's another example of how such tunes were promoted ............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RJlYzBhLg4

This is the stuff that moved my ear from reggae and ska revival into something different.

cont/..............

I used to get home from school each evening and get straight to practicing one of the elements, whether it was scratchin' something on the old Garrard deck I owned, doing a cut up thing with the pause button on a tape deck, practicing a 'glide' or a 'tut', or out writing my name or designing a 'burner' I was in up to my balls.

I delved the history and learned about the pioneers .................. (could have posted many more but only 2 posts allowed :rolleyes: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf4KCn4lSsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyh4rk7bGqk

Ok, musically these aint the best examples ............. I could mention many more, Treacherous 3, Funky Four, Sha Rock, Coke la Rock, Cold Crush, Crash Crew .............. the list goes on. My knowledge is purely limited to what is available info wise ............. I wasn't there ffs !!!!!!!!!

Time moves on ...............

cont/...................

What changed?

I think technology did. The invention of the Emu and the sampler changed the game. It was easier to reproduce the early experimentations and expand ..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQWUWMJxg8

Paul Hardcastle, though often performing with a very cheesy grin and a stoopid jeri-curl haircut created a very innovative recording, there was simply nothing else like this at the time. Prior to this he created some very innovative recordings on the 'Zero-One' LP that did not contain any of the restrospective cheesyness. We now realise how easy this was to create and I guess because of that we now view it with contempt. Shame really, as a piece of music it really is quite a landmark recording.

Here's another, related to the original post, that changed the game ............. infact it is almost an example of where innovative technologies broke a genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Jm_O2HtdI

And so things move on ............. Dj's no longer need Mc's, Mc's no longer need Dj's (just the right producer) and so hip hop ended. Infact today, and for so long no vocalist really needs a backing group, just the right producer.

Perhaps that's why live or real music now appeals to so me so much more?

(That said, give me some hot buttered popcorn with some attitude and hey, I'll still get down B) )

Have managed to put some time aside tonight to catch up on this thread and thought I'd respond to a few posts ...........

@ LC1.

Nice first few tunes posted. May I enquire as to when the 'Hip Hop' you posted was released?

I did enjoy and can honestly say I've not heard before. The reason why I ask is that I grew up listening to Hip Hop. In retrospect I find it hard to put what I heard as a young teenager in any sort of chronological order, whether it was the chart release of 'Rapper's Delight', the harsh reality of 'The Message' or perhaps the release of the Streetsound's Electro series that I first heard and that got me hooked on that 'sound' and 'culture'. I spent a lot of my teens walking around school listening to hip hop whilst most of the kids in my 'age' peer group were listening to either 80's synth pop or later on bands like Simple Minds, U2 etc. My tastes in music often made me an outsider, I dressed differently, I acted differently ........................... hell I often even talked differently. I've often heard myself referred to (at school reunion type events) as the kid who always wore head phones and was a bit 'weird / scarey / unhinged'.

There was a point, and I'm yet to put my finger on a estimated date, where hip hop and me fell out of love. Sure I hear some 'good' stuff, stuff with the same kind of vibe which you posted, but there's also so much funking garbage out there. I'd hate to think people thought I was looking down on recent 'Rap' (as it seems it is now defined) but the spark that was once there for me has been missing. I have tried to analyse why and can't quite get my noggin' round it tbh. The Hip Hop I enjoyed was always a combination of the 4 elements .......... breakin' , graffiti , mc'ing and dj'ing and I guess when I hear something that doesn't inspire 4 elements then it falls short of the mark. Perhaps? I still don't to this day know why I fell out of love ................ anyway, a couple of tunes to be going on with ......................

The above is the shortened version but wanted to post because the video also sets it's date. I can recall hearing their 'Jam on Revenge' blasting from a Ford Cortina at high volume and thinking "What the funk is that? Here's another example of how such tunes were promoted ............

@Underling

Thanks for the post, some great OG hip hop there!

The first tracks I posted are all contemporary, not sure of exact dates but all latter 2000s.

I feel what you're saying about falling out of love with hip hop, it has certainly changed over the years, as is natural. I think you're right that the 4 elements of breakin' grafiti, DJ & MC are no longer present as they once were.

But on that note, as an aside, here is a track you might like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXtJRv36ttU

But what I don't like is this idea that "hip hop is dead" (not saying you think this). What a joke! It's evolved, like things always do. Technology clearly plays a part in this. Personally I don't mind if a beat has been cooked up in the lab on a computer, or whether it's played with a live orchestra - I love tunes that use either method, as long as the beats get your head bobbing and the lyrics are meaningful.

You mention that 'hip hop' became 'rap', but I don't see it like that. Rap, to me, is the posturing hard-man, drug dealing, glocks and 9s, hos and whips, all that nonsense! I do have a weakness for some of that when it is done well (and we all know it's mostly BS anyway), I'm thinking of classics like Illmatic by Nas.

But I'm mostly into the vibe that resonates with the OG hip hop artists who used to rap with humour, or political and social commentary without the gangsta BS. There are tons of MCs doing this today, and tons of producers making killer beats.

I love the classics, like Sugarhill, Run DMC etc. Then the likes of tribe called quest, Eric B & Rakim, Blackstar, de la soul etc.

For me, there was a point where I felt that perhaps hip hop had indeed lost its way and the old stuff would never be matched again. It was all this east coast/west coast gangsta rubbish. But a pivotal album for me was Train of Thought by Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli & DJ HI-Tek) in 2000. If you haven't heard it then I really recommend it. Some gangsta references but almost tongue-in-cheek, and some sincerely soulful and beautiful lyrically-driven tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIH32mSOx58

Talib Kweli remains for me one of the strongest lyricists around, but there are many more. I love hip hop for its continued ability to engage people with a social & political consciousness. Much like reggae did in the 70s and 80s, and still does today for those who care to listen (many people likewise think that reggae died with Bob Marley/Tosh etc.) But JA is an island of immense musical genius, and there is tons of great contemporary roots reggae, even though the beats are often largely synthetic nowadays! Some of it retains the original vibe of 70s and 80s reggae, but it has a distinctiveness of its own too, which I really love.

@ LC1.

@Underling

Thanks for the post, some great OG hip hop there!

The first tracks I posted are all contemporary, not sure of exact dates but all latter 2000s.

I feel what you're saying about falling out of love with hip hop, it has certainly changed over the years, as is natural. I think you're right that the 4 elements of breakin' grafiti, DJ & MC are no longer present as they once were.

But on that note, as an aside, here is a track you might like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXtJRv36ttU

But what I don't like is this idea that "hip hop is dead" (not saying you think this). What a joke! It's evolved, like things always do. Technology clearly plays a part in this. Personally I don't mind if a beat has been cooked up in the lab on a computer, or whether it's played with a live orchestra - I love tunes that use either method, as long as the beats get your head bobbing and the lyrics are meaningful.

You mention that 'hip hop' became 'rap', but I don't see it like that. Rap, to me, is the posturing hard-man, drug dealing, glocks and 9s, hos and whips, all that nonsense! I do have a weakness for some of that when it is done well (and we all know it's mostly BS anyway), I'm thinking of classics like Illmatic by Nas.

But I'm mostly into the vibe that resonates with the OG hip hop artists who used to rap with humour, or political and social commentary without the gangsta BS. There are tons of MCs doing this today, and tons of producers making killer beats.

I love the classics, like Sugarhill, Run DMC etc. Then the likes of tribe called quest, Eric B & Rakim, Blackstar, de la soul etc.

For me, there was a point where I felt that perhaps hip hop had indeed lost its way and the old stuff would never be matched again. It was all this east coast/west coast gangsta rubbish. But a pivotal album for me was Train of Thought by Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli & DJ HI-Tek) in 2000. If you haven't heard it then I really recommend it. Some gangsta references but almost tongue-in-cheek, and some sincerely soulful and beautiful lyrically-driven tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIH32mSOx58

Talib Kweli remains for me one of the strongest lyricists around, but there are many more. I love hip hop for its continued ability to engage people with a social & political consciousness. Much like reggae did in the 70s and 80s, and still does today for those who care to listen (many people likewise think that reggae died with Bob Marley/Tosh etc.) But JA is an island of immense musical genius, and there is tons of great contemporary roots reggae, even though the beats are often largely synthetic nowadays! Some of it retains the original vibe of 70s and 80s reggae, but it has a distinctiveness of its own too, which I really love.