The Best of Youtube - Music

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was supposed to see Orbital last year but on the way to the main stage got waylaid by this and stayed there ...................

Needless to say I do have regrets ......... but then I wasn't complaining at the time.

that must have been a riot! have they sampled blur (song2) there? probably not, that looks like the sort of gig when everyone is having a good time - i love those gigs!

Are you suggesting it's Soul II Soul?

Obviously they didn't invent the "amen break" the origin (as far as I’m aware) can be found here......

I honestly don't know if soul to soul (Jazzie B) invented that "Break" but he certainly invented a new type of sound. And it still resonates within me even today :)

The "Come down" classic, as I believe it was known - lol

Can't fault that choice double-agent :)

Love this one with David Gray

Both are two of my personal favourites, but lets not forget about "the BOX" "Chime" "Midnight" there are many more.................

that must have been a riot! have they sampled blur (song2) there? probably not, that looks like the sort of gig when everyone is having a good time - i love those gigs!

Yes they are playing 'Song2' by Blur mixed with I believe 'The Push' by the Plump DJ's (don't quote me on that). Whether this is truly being executed live is up for debate but I would have been bouncing about to the forward right of shot with a inflatable monkey on my shoulders and a friend dressed in a Tigger suit getting rather a lot of female attention.

I honestly don't know if soul to soul invented that "Break" but he certainly invented a new type of sound.

Agree there. What Jazzie B did with the new technology was ground-breaking imho. Saw him play a live DJ set last year and can honestly say it was one of my favourites. :rolleyes:

On a similar vein though not quite so .......................

(the use of Pink Floyd's Shine on you Crazy Diamond [4:28 onwards] is sublime)

Another good use of Pink Floyd ............ though this is quite heavy I avoided the temptation of posting their version of Money.

Surprising sometimes what gems you find on youtube ..................

Yes they are playing 'Song2' by Blur mixed with I believe 'The Push' by the Plump DJ's (don't quote me on that). Whether this is truly being executed live is up for debate but I would have been bouncing about to the forward right of shot with a inflatable monkey on my shoulders and a friend dressed in a Tigger suit getting rather a lot of female attention.

.../...

:lol:

i'm looking forward to giving your latest recommendations a listen tomorrow (when i can add a bit of volume!) - thanks for posting

Yes they are playing 'Song2' by Blur mixed with I believe 'The Push' by the Plump DJ's (don't quote me on that).

It is "The Push" by the Plumps being mixed in with it.

I was lucky enough to be at the "last"(or one of them) Orbital gig's back in 2005 in Brixton London, the Plumps were supporting.

(the use of Pink Floyd's Shine on you Crazy Diamond [4:28 onwards] is sublime)

A truly fantastic tune..... nice

Looks like Dubstep is going to be huge ..........

The central tune of the above video 'Jahova' is great. If this floats your boat and you want to investigate the scene further you're likely to be sifting through a lot a filler to find the good stuff ....... :-(

The first spread of torpedos sank my boat I'm afraid. :)

This is better IMO.

BTW I remember seeing a video of a girl dancing in the street outside a white hot hatch to dubstep wearing a cowboy hat, you don't know where I'll find it do you? (I know it's a long shot!)

Looks like Dubstep is going to be huge ..........

The central tune of the above video 'Jahova' is great. If this floats your boat and you want to investigate the scene further you're likely to be sifting through a lot a filler to find the good stuff ....... :-(

This is better IMO.

BTW I remember seeing a video of a girl dancing in the street outside a white hot hatch to dubstep wearing a cowboy hat, you don't know where I'll find it do you? (I know it's a long shot!)

Sounds like it could have been Jordan on a Maxpower shoot. :lol:

Agreed with your other comment by the way. I tried to follow Dubstep from Tayo/Freq Nasty breakbeats but from then onwards got tired of hearing an album with one good tune hidden amongst fillers and decided to follow other paths as was left feeling decidedly short-changed by the likes of Skream, Burial et al. My post was more about the audience reaction and the amount of dubstep club nights I've seen flyers for ..... it's big. In some ways I find it strange as Dub 'Versions' were generally (to the best of my knowledge) released with a vocal first and the DUB was a DJ tool, this scene seems to be going in a reverse direction. Personally I prefer the old crackling versions of the 70's and 80's but then I love deeps roots reggae (which I'll not post here as I doubt it'll be appreciated)

Great Drumming and beat juggling video here .............

Nice... Very Mowax/DJ Shadow.

Post what you want here, I've listened to every track posted here (apart from Van Halen :)), I'm interested.

Sounds like it could have been Jordan on a Maxpower shoot. :lol:

Agreed with your other comment by the way. I tried to follow Dubstep from Tayo/Freq Nasty breakbeats but from then onwards got tired of hearing an album with one good tune hidden amongst fillers and decided to follow other paths as was left feeling decidedly short-changed by the likes of Skream, Burial et al. My post was more about the audience reaction and the amount of dubstep club nights I've seen flyers for ..... it's big. In some ways I find it strange as Dub 'Versions' were generally (to the best of my knowledge) released with a vocal first and the DUB was a DJ tool, this scene seems to be going in a reverse direction. Personally I prefer the old crackling versions of the 70's and 80's but then I love deeps roots reggae (which I'll not post here as I doubt it'll be appreciated)

Great Drumming and beat juggling video here .............

I thought I would try something a bit different here and look at the evolution of a song from its European folk roots, which later became a favourite of the famous black folk and blues singer Leadbelly and ended up as a Led Zeppelin classic.

"The Maid Freed from the Gallows" is one of many titles of a centuries-old folk song about a condemned maiden pleading for someone to buy her freedom from the executioner. In the collection of ballads compiled by Francis James Child, it is indexed as Child Ballad number 95; eleven variants, some fragmentary, are indexed as 95A to 95K.

The song likely originated in a language other than English. Some fifty versions have been reported in Finland,[10] where it is well known as Lunastettava neito. It is titled Den Bortsålda in Sweden, and Die Losgekaufte in German. A Lithuanian version has the maid asking relatives to ransom her with their best animals or belongings (sword, house, crown, ring etc.). The maiden curses her relatives who refuse to give up their property, and blesses her fiancé, who does ransom her.

The Led Zeppelin album version of 'the gallows pole' would be my favourite but the live version (performed by Plant & Page before the Led Zeppelin reunion tour) is included here because it is the only one on youtube with lyrics.

The thing about this song which you have to appreciate is that it started off as a ballad about an event that must have occurred at some point in time, so it is quite sad in some respects but also fascinating how it has evolved through time, transcending different music styles and genres.

Cool, thanks. Here's something I was told 18 years ago. First a classic.

It was rumoured John Lennon's "Jealous Guy" was written after he lost his cool watching Yoko Ono and David Bowie dance and flirt at a function, it served as his apology to Yoko.

When David Bowie out'd himself in 1972, it was rumoured, "John I'm only Dancing..." was about a homosexual liaison, when in contrast to popular belief, it was David Bowie's reply to John Lennon's "Jealous Guy"...

I thought I would try something a bit different here and look at the evolution of a song from its European folk roots, which later became a favourite of the famous black folk and blues singer Leadbelly and ended up as a Led Zeppelin classic.

The Led Zeppelin album version of 'the gallows pole' would be my favourite but the live version (performed by Plant & Page before the Led Zeppelin reunion tour) is included here because it is the only one on youtube with lyrics.

The thing about this song which you have to appreciate is that it started off as a ballad about an event that must have occurred at some point in time, so it is quite sad in some respects but also fascinating how it has evolved through time, transcending different music styles and genres.

From wikipiedia.....

"Although it exists in many forms, all versions recount a similar story. A maid about to be hanged (for unknown reasons) pleads with the hangman, or judge, to wait for the arrival of someone who may bribe him. The first person (or people) to arrive, who may include the father, mother, brother, and sister, have brought nothing and often have come to see her hanged. The last person to arrive, often her true love, has brought the gold to save her. She may curse all those who failed her."

If the reason why she was there in the first could be established, I'm sure this would make or break the song.

I'm not a big Led Zepp fan (apart from a few of the classics of course, Immigrant song, whole lotta love & communication breakdown ) but I must say I quite enjoyed that :)

:blink::huh::unsure::angry::mellow::lol:;)

Same here I'm afraid Warpig though in my defence I've never really followed guitar based music and my focus has mostly been on percussion tunes.

Did however enjoy this particular number that I recently heard on a set ................

Now you're really not gonna like this but you did say you didn't mind the post. Apologies to your ears .............

This is not my preferred DUB which is attributed to 'The Aggrovator' (King Tubby) which I own on an LP called 'Dreadlocks in Jamaica' but is the nearest link I can find. Original below ............

This tune reminds me of a time when the wife and I were dating and she was my rock and when my life turned uside down. Sorry to be sentimental but thought some background of why it means something to me might justify the post.

She helped me get back on my feet .....................

:blink::huh::unsure::angry::mellow::lol:;)

Sorry m8.......Stairway to heaven, for instance.... I just don't get it. maybe I'm missing something.

Give me some smashing pumpkins any day ;)

From one extreme to another.................

But if we are taking "ROCK GODS" .......... well, I'm sure we all know who Dave Grohl is

Now I was going to post up Everlong and a few other videos with Mr Grohl in them........ but then I found this.

Have a great weekend :)

SR