Sylvester has snapped

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry if that is the case - it wasn't my intention to imply any such thing.

Perhaps I am just old fashioned.

I like the word "ilk".

It sounds better to me to say, "your ilk" than "the likes of you."

Perhaps that's just a personal preference though - because I'm an old git!

'Ilk' does sound a little bad as per A&Ks post above.

Try posse, crew, hommies or squad.

:( and you people tolerate this s--t?

I wouldn't tolerate this salt either

And here is your second 1-day break for this week. You just need to be more polite.

For what..... you just decided to fill in the gaps for yourself did you?

Thanks for all the suport and kind comments from other GEI members - sorry it had to be like this but if you want to cut out the cancer that is killing this site then you have to take a knife to the affected area and deal with it. The problem hasn't gone, it's just some nasty medicine that will simply make the site work ok for a few more weeks until the symptoms come back again - that's why you have to treat the disease.

fitkid and GOM are the disease - fitkid will be back at some point and as you have seen GOM just treats everything and everyone with contempt which is emphasized with the liberal use of smilies in every post he makes or after a serious point has been made about his conduct.

28 posts in a single day on a gold thread from one poster including a PM to Catflap and some pointless picture.

2 references to swampy

countless baiting of Catflap and Harvipark

Lots of emoticons on every post

Does grumpy-old-man really need to make 28 posts on the gold thread in a single day when normal people make just a handful - this is blatant trolling and very disruptive to others who like to follow the thread.

So where was the moderation on this GF?

Why is it you allow one poster to make nearly 30 posts on the gold thread on a single day, several of which were baiting/goading in nature and two of which were discussing Swampy?

There should be a limit to how many posts one person can make on a thread before it is deemed trolling - I would say a maximum of 6 per day. It's not fair on other users who would like to take part on the discussion to have one user make nearly 30 posts - it ruins the thread, so deal with that if you are moderating.

And why do you yourself now have to reference Swampy in your signature when so many of us are sick of seeing that guys name appear on GEI - now we all have to see it in every post you make. You should remove it and set an example instead of giving some lame excuse that he is 'now the ghost of GEI and like an unwanted ex' - what the hell are you on about?

Sort it out.

Good to see some old names logging in and speaking up - it's your site so don't let the trolls ruin GEI.

For what..... you just decided to fill in the gaps for yourself did you?

Very funny.

... GOM just treats everything and everyone with contempt which is emphasized with the liberal use of smilies in every post he makes or after a serious point has been made about his conduct.

So where was the moderation on this GF?

I don't read all the posts, don't have limitless time, and I don't share your opinion on GOM, although maybe I have not read the relevant posts. Most of RH's posts are followed by emoticons as well, so what?

Why is it you allow one poster to make nearly 30 posts on the gold thread on a single day, several of which were baiting/goading in nature and two of which were discussing Swampy?

There should be a limit to how many posts one person can make on a thread before it is deemed trolling - I would say a maximum of 6 per day. It's not fair on other users who would like to take part on the discussion to have one user make nearly 30 posts - it ruins the thread, so deal with that if you are moderating.

I am sure that other posters have come close to such numbers as well. What ruins a thread or not is often a subjective thing. Many of my threads got ruined in my eyes. Do I complain? At least not often. I am not the only moderator, I don't always have time to moderate.

And why do you yourself now have to reference Swampy in your signature when so many of us are sick of seeing that guys name appear on GEI - now we all have to see it in every post you make. You should remove it and set an example instead of giving some lame excuse that he is 'now the ghost of GEI and like an unwanted ex' - what the hell are you on about?

You shall not speak the name of the Dark Lord, eh? Guess what? Swampy, Swampy, CDSwamp, CDSwamp. Hmm, nothing happened! So I guess it's not dangerous to write the name. Swampy complained at some stage that I had stolen my sig from him. I am not really sure, that's why I acknowledge this uncertainty.

Sort it out.

IMO sorted.

Swampy complained at some stage that I had stolen my sig from him.

Apparently so. He also (allegedly) had all his posts deleted because it was easier than going through and specifically deleting all the copyright violations. I'd not be too concerned about a hypocrite's claim of ownership of a 1-liner. Anyway, it's not trading that makes you lose your shirt, it's poor risk management. So it's not even a good 1-liner.

Most of RH's posts are followed by emoticons as well, so what?

It's the way it's done that matters, not the use of them. If I wanted to be a complete a**e (insert what letters you wish to ban me again if you like) to someone then I could put an emoticon after most of my sentences to convey that I treat what they say with contempt, which is what GOM often does.

You shall not speak the name of the Dark Lord, eh? Guess what? Swampy, Swampy, CDSwamp, CDSwamp. Hmm, nothing happened! So I guess it's not dangerous to write the name. Swampy complained at some stage that I had stolen my sig from him. I am not really sure, that's why I acknowledge this uncertainty.

IMO sorted.

Whatever - just lumps you in with him by association in many peoples eyes. Not good when he caused so much damage on here and on other sites. And do you really think he's got a copyright on such a irrelevant set of words?! - anyway, if he complains tell him where to go if your still friendly with him that is.

Nice baiting. Maybe I'll put you up for public voting...

I was not baiting! That is not my style. I have never had one argument with any other poster over several years of posting here!

Rather, I was just being very honest about how I see the forum now operating. And to be precise, I consider one main problem to be that you are now behaving like a school headmaster, not a balanced moderator.

When I questioned your judgement, you accuse me of baiting, and tell DR B that by daring to question your approach I almost got banned for a day.

Well I've had enough. There is now too little respect for any alternative views on GEI - and that's reflected both in rude posters and in autocratic mods.

I resign from GEI, and wish you all the very best of luck with your investments and personal futures.

I was not baiting! That is not my style. I have never had one argument with any other poster over several years of posting here!

Rather, I was just being very honest about how I see the forum now operating. And to be precise, I consider one main problem to be that you are now behaving like a school headmaster, not a balanced moderator.

When I questioned your judgement, you accuse me of baiting, and tell DR B that by daring to question your approach I almost got banned for a day.

Well I've had enough. There is now too little respect for any alternative views on GEI - and that's reflected both in rude posters and in autocratic mods.

I resign from GEI, and wish you all the very best of luck with your investments and personal futures.

No need to over-react, bigtbigt.

Give it a rest here for a while, if you like. No need to leave.

I dont see you as a problem poster, and I would be surprised if others do.

I think you know I welcome diverse points of view here. The point is for people to stay respectful of those

that they disagree with.

I think we will get there

BTW, I am going to delete the blatant ads for "that other site"

I have no problem with "ilk"

... or elks either

elk.jpg

It is fine to visit here "with your Elk" anytime. But stay respectful, si vous plais.

Let's get some sense of humor back, gents.

Catflap,

Do you have any interest in joining the Mod team here?

A git is a pregnant camel.

One hump or two?

Lol - just the one, I think!

The Camel’s Hump

By Rudyard Kipling

The Camel's hump is an ugly lump

Which well you may see at the Zoo;

But uglier yet is the hump we get

From having too little to do.

Kiddies and grown-ups too-oo-oo,

If we haven't enough to do-oo-oo,

We get the hump-

Cameelious hump-

The hump that is black and blue!

We climb out of bed with a frouzly head,

And a snarly-yarly voice.

We shiver and scowl and we grunt and we growl

At our bath and our boots and our toys;

And there ought to be a corner for me

(And I know' there is one for you)

When we get the hump-

Cameelious hump-

The cure for this ill is not to sit still,

Or frowst with a book by the fire;

But to take a large hoe and a shovel also,

And dig till you gently perspire;

And then you will find that the sun and the wind,

And the Djinn of the Garden too,

Have lifted the hump-

The horrible hump-

I get it as well as you-oo-oo-

If I haven't enough to do-oo-oo!

We all get hump-

Cameelious hump-

Kiddies and grown-ups too!

Complete overreaction. Emphasis on ALMOST.

Catflap,

Do you have any interest in joining the Mod team here?

With all due respect, but I think there are more suitable candidates.

Someone was complaining about autocratic mods. Just wait for the rule of catflap. :o

I have reported this post as people have been banned for less.

Untrue. For a start no one was directly called a troll in that post. Secondly if someone is trolling, calling them a troll may be acceptable. For example, if someone is bullying, calling them, a bully is acceptable. Thirdly, we are not going to retrospectively go back over ever old post and ban people who would have been banned after the new no nonsense moderation approach.

Please don't report old posts but do report any you have a problem with from now on.

Catflap also gets my vote for the moderation team, and I hope bigtbigt doesn't leave.

Is it possible to limit members to one or more specific topic areas? If so, then a mod could just throw a naughty poster into the "sin bin" for a day or so. That'd give everyone a chance to expunge their finest invective, cool off, wipe the rabid dribble off the keyboard and start again. Might be a little less contentious than a short-term ban.

Is it possible to limit members to one or more specific topic areas? If so, then a mod could just throw a naughty poster into the "sin bin" for a day or so. That'd give everyone a chance to expunge their finest invective, cool off, wipe the rabid dribble off the keyboard and start again. Might be a little less contentious than a short-term ban.

Interesting suggestion but not possible I believe. If people want to be nasty there are plenty of other forums on the net for them to do it in. No need to have a stain on the GEI website.

Best wishes,

Sylvester

I'd suggest enrieb as a mod. Also, we have quite a few mods, only most are asleep at the wheel, or busy with their lives.

This morning I had an idea related to the posts above: what if we let "thread owners" define who is allowed to post and who not on "their" threads. Mods can then remove posts that are from unwanted posters. The problem is that it could cause a lot of work, but with 1-week suspensions for violations, it should work.

Archived