Commander T's Diary

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29th Nov 2013

-------------

Bitcoin $1156 (mtgox.com)

Gold $1241 (Kitco.com)

35 Tulip bulbs £2.49 (diy.com/nav/garden/grow-your-own/bulbs/tulips)

19th Dec 2013

-------------

Bitcoin $619 (mtgox.com)

Gold $1224 (Kitco.com)

35 Tulip bulbs £2.49 (diy.com/nav/garden/grow-your-own/bulbs/tulips)

----

In one month those Tulip bulbs have OUTPERFORMED gold AND Bitcoin!

Bitcoin $375 (mtgox.com)

Gold $1309 (Kitco.com)

35 Tulip bulbs £PRICELESS - no stock as it is out of season? (diy.com/nav/garden/grow-your-own/bulbs/tulips)

---------------------------------

It looks like people are capitulating in Bitcoin and heading over to gold?!.

Bitcoin $375 (mtgox.com)

Gold $1309 (Kitco.com)

35 Tulip bulbs £PRICELESS - no stock as it is out of season? (diy.com/nav/garden/grow-your-own/bulbs/tulips)

---------------------------------

It looks like people are capitulating in Bitcoin and heading over to gold?!.

Given all the issues with Bitcoin, I have zero interest in investing in them - even USD looks safer at the moment. That said, gold/silver are looking attractive at the moment.

High house prices and rents in Hong Kong, and people living in cages.article-2558403-1B72CF5E00000578-901_964

Now imagine if you were living in those conditions. You could work harder and save harder but it will probably be a very steep curve to get out of that situation. You have only one pair of hands, and can only work so many hours of the day. Even the landlord is at a low income level it seems from that article, with his passive income streams.

113More_Pods-med.jpg

What if you were in the martrix, and you couldn't do anything physically to escape the situation?

I think the internet is one way out - think of the internet entrepreneurs ? Take a look at this guy KSI on youtube - he is famous, with 5m subscribers. And he has managed to get Shaun Wright-Philips and Ian Wright to appear on his channel (Famous footballers). This is what people like - consider this "market research".

(WARNING THERE IS SOME SWEARING)

If you have young children - they maybe minecraft fans. There is a very popular channel called the Yogscast, where Lewis and Simon have got some famous people to appear like Jonathan Ross. The old media guard are afraid of Youtube which is leveling the playing field of the media industry. I don't need to beg Simon Cowell to give me the air time, nor does my brother be a contact as a producer at a major TV network.

There is nothing stopping people from trying something on the internet - at least it isn't partially banned yet.... China has a ban on Youtube.

The liquidity has gone out of mtGox... so it is now very dangerous to trade

On the Stockchallenge, keep an eye on OWLS OF LAUGHTER. I have noticed he or she is very consistent each month with their picks, always getting into the top 10. I shall be analyzing each pick later - we can learn much from winners and players who are better than us. Robert Kyosaki (of Rich Dad Poor Dad) writes, if you want to be successful you must learn from those who are already successful.

owls+of+laughter.PNG

^Each pick is in profit. Being a winner, and being a consistent winner must be the Holy Grail.

That Owls of Laughter gets his/her short term picks so right.... He or she is another league away!

Great start for them for March

Untitled.png

Notes on Multi-Level Marketing

MLM is a form of creating an eventual passive income asset. The objective of MLM is it builds an increasing income so I don't need to physically go out to work to earn money. Remember an asset is something that puts money in your pocket each month/year, whereas a liability takes money away (Read Rich Dad Poor Dad). Yes, a house can be a LIABILITY! If it is cheaper to buy than rent, then I would consider it less of a liability than renting, you have to work it out yourself, the math. The house still doesn't put money in my pocket each month.
MLM may work for you, it may not. If you have the gift of the gab, are extroverted, charismatic, persuasive, are a people person, and have a 1000 friends on Facebook, 10,000 followers on Twitter, then you already have the basic tools to make MLM work quickly.
Slade gets £800K per year in royalities for their "Merry Xmas Everybody". That, is his passive income asset.
Work is needed initially, and then when you move up the chain, you work less. Of course this depends on how many people put in the work after you, and how robust the chain is - your income will cease, if the company goes bust. Counter party risk needs to be priced in if you want to join a MLM. Has anyone looked at the durability of MLM businesses?
stock-vector-multilevel-marketing-networ
OK so you are introverted, and not a people person... MLM is not going to work for you.
So what other forms of income can you get that are passive, if you do not want to sell or close deals, in such a business?
*BTL (obvious one)
*Shares that pay an dividend income
*A book/podcast/film/app/game that you can sell over and over, or get royalties for
All of the above will require some work and research, which will er... hopefully pay dividends in the future (no pun intended!) Where you must, you must retain 100% control of the asset where possible or you will receive less income than you deserve; it will go to a middle man (read Felix Dennis' How to get Rich).
If I create an Ebook for 1 hour of my time, and it pays me £1 per month for the rest of my life, I can create 1000 ebooks and have £1000 per month, and so on. I have only one pair of hands, I can only work 8-12 hours a day, and so my income is relatively fixed. And when I go to work in a job I have 0% control of the asset, in fact I am improving the asset of the owner who lives thousands of miles away on some super yacht, sipping Bollingers! If you want to make money, you have to HATE POVERTY with every fibre of your body. Otherwise, go back to watching X-Factor and be a consumer rather than be a CREATOR.
You must plant the seeds, so the tree can grow and provide shelter later. May I refer to the Richest man in Babylon book.

Notes on Multi-Level Marketing

MLM is a form of creating an eventual passive income asset. The objective of MLM is it builds an increasing income so I don't need to physically go out to work to earn money. Remember an asset is something that puts money in your pocket each month/year, whereas a liability takes money away (Read Rich Dad Poor Dad). Yes, a house can be a LIABILITY! If it is cheaper to buy than rent, then I would consider it less of a liability than renting, you have to work it out yourself, the math. The house still doesn't put money in my pocket each month.
MLM may work for you, it may not. If you have the gift of the gab, are extroverted, charismatic, persuasive, are a people person, and have a 1000 friends on Facebook, 10,000 followers on Twitter, then you already have the basic tools to make MLM work quickly.
Slade gets £800K per year in royalities for their "Merry Xmas Everybody". That, is his passive income asset.
Work is needed initially, and then when you move up the chain, you work less. Of course this depends on how many people put in the work after you, and how robust the chain is - your income will cease, if the company goes bust. Counter party risk needs to be priced in if you want to join a MLM. Has anyone looked at the durability of MLM businesses?
stock-vector-multilevel-marketing-networ
OK so you are introverted, and not a people person... MLM is not going to work for you.
So what other forms of income can you get that are passive, if you do not want to sell or close deals, in such a business?
*BTL (obvious one)
*Shares that pay an dividend income
*A book/podcast/film/app/game that you can sell over and over, or get royalties for
All of the above will require some work and research, which will er... hopefully pay dividends in the future (no pun intended!) Where you must, you must retain 100% control of the asset where possible or you will receive less income than you deserve; it will go to a middle man (read Felix Dennis' How to get Rich).
If I create an Ebook for 1 hour of my time, and it pays me £1 per month for the rest of my life, I can create 1000 ebooks and have £1000 per month, and so on. I have only one pair of hands, I can only work 8-12 hours a day, and so my income is relatively fixed. And when I go to work in a job I have 0% control of the asset, in fact I am improving the asset of the owner who lives thousands of miles away on some super yacht, sipping Bollingers! If you want to make money, you have to HATE POVERTY with every fibre of your body. Otherwise, go back to watching X-Factor and be a consumer rather than be a CREATOR.
You must plant the seeds, so the tree can grow and provide shelter later. May I refer to the Richest man in Babylon book.

Accumulating assets is the key.

But - they have to be at the right price.

Buying your own home has worked well for the common-man over the last 30 years, but that well is now dry. Stocks are also hugely overpriced thanks to the influence of the central banks.

On the other hand, the average working lifetime is now considerably longer than it used to be - this gives us more time to accumulate and compound our wealth. It's a shame that this advantage is squandered by most, and people don't start to plan for these things until retirement looms on the horizon.

http://youtu.be/uDWoAnSpcPQ

A bumper packed show! We have a look at the SP500, the FTSE All Share Index, Bitcoins, Gold, Abermarle and Bond Pawn Brokers, Morrisons Supermarket, Pets at Home, Poundland (with Youtuber Ashens mentioned), Royal Mail Group, Inmarsat, and Fyffes. The portfolio currently comprises of Google, Eckoh, Macau Properties, Johnston Press, and Taylor Wimpey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDYTzIpE0vU

This week we talk about short selling stocks. We mention Jesse Livermore and Evil Knievel (EK) who are famous short sellers. First we look at this weeks action with the S&P500, Bitcoin, and Gold. We look at examples of stock price falls, including Abermarle and Bond (ABM), Northern Rock (NRK), Woolworths (WLW), HMV Group (HMV), Volkswagen / Porsche, Halifax Bank Of Scotland (HBOS), Sainsburys (SBRY), and Ocado (OCDO).
On the Watchlist (Long) we have: Dryships (DRYS), Gresham Computers (GHT), and Fyffes (FFY). The portfolio currently comprises of Google (GOOG), Eckoh (ECK), Macau Properties (MPO), Johnston Press (JPR), and Taylor Wimpey (TW).

I noticed that the new UK aircraft carriers, the Queen Elizabeth Class carriers, will use F35 multi-role aircraft with vertical take off.

e3eab10c790241a7b905cd3ebd2cd5b3-513x298

Graphic from UK MOD. http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Fleet/Ships/Future-Ships/Queen-Elizabeth-Class

The F35 is expensive and over budget, and other NATO allies have signed up and committed to the program with Lockheed Martin.

"The United Kingdom, Italy, Australia, Canada, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, and Turkey are part of the active development program;Japan and Israel have ordered the F-35, while Singapore may also equip their air force with the F-35.South Korea decided to purchase F-35s in late 2013."

According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II

I note that there are some news items from Canada and Australia critisising the money wasted on the F35 program so far. But as governments have signed up to the F35, they can't back out now.

Lockheed Martin chart

lmt.png

Will it cross $200, a major round number?

This post is not related to investing, but this is useful for anyone getting married or is married (and perhaps needs to work on their marriage). Well I guess marriage is the biggest investment one could make....

Communication

1 Part 1

1 Part 2

1 Part 3

1 Part 4

Commitment

2 Part 1

2 Part 2

2 Part 3

2 Part 4

2 Part 5

Resolving Conflict