Tiny Homes

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/ho...es-1696153.html

Google 'tiny homes' and you will come up with a lot of stuff about people interested in living simply and cheaply - mainly US biased but plenty of useful ideas for anyone interested. I am currently (just started) building an 8 x 12 cabin in my garden - I have some time on my hands and have always wanted to build a tiny home. I estimate total material costs will be no more than 2 ounces (including small wood-burning stove). Probably take about 2 months to build - I have some experience with building motor-caravans so, I have a reasonable idea about time involved in these projects. With a small mezzanine sleeping area and an 8 by 12 living area such a 'dacha' is perfectly livable in for two people who don't have much clutter.

Imagine a world where people could buy small plots of land and build a small cabin for a few thousand pounds - no 25 year mortgage for an over-priced slave box. The reality is that if a significant number of people started to live in this way in 'eco' villages, the squid would die - but that is probably why such draconian planning laws exist - to stop people getting such ideas!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/ho...es-1696153.html

Google 'tiny homes' and you will come up with a lot of stuff about people interested in living simply and cheaply - mainly US biased but plenty of useful ideas for anyone interested. I am currently (just started) building an 8 x 12 cabin in my garden - I have some time on my hands and have always wanted to build a tiny home. I estimate total material costs will be no more than 2 ounces (including small wood-burning stove). Probably take about 2 months to build - I have some experience with building motor-caravans so, I have a reasonable idea about time involved in these projects. With a small mezzanine sleeping area and an 8 by 12 living area such a 'dacha' is perfectly livable in for two people who don't have much clutter.

Imagine a world where people could buy small plots of land and build a small cabin for a few thousand pounds - no 25 year mortgage for an over-priced slave box. The reality is that if a significant number of people started to live in this way in 'eco' villages, the squid would die - but that is probably why such draconian planning laws exist - to stop people getting such ideas!

Hi Schaublin

Often thought of doing this myself. I was thinking of getting the panels cut by a Kingspan SIPS factory I know, which would make it a lot easier to knock together, and solve the problem of insulation as well.

I like the designs here:

www.dwelle.co.uk

especially the bigger one, 3.5m by 7m i think it is.

How would you deal with waste water ? How would you power your little cabin ? There are some stand-alone solar systems available but not sure they would be cost efective for something so small.

Would be really interested to hear more about your project, and to see some photos once it is underway.

Hi Schaublin

Often thought of doing this myself. I was thinking of getting the panels cut by a Kingspan SIPS factory I know, which would make it a lot easier to knock together, and solve the problem of insulation as well.

I like the designs here:

www.dwelle.co.uk

especially the bigger one, 3.5m by 7m i think it is.

How would you deal with waste water ? How would you power your little cabin ? There are some stand-alone solar systems available but not sure they would be cost efective for something so small.

Would be really interested to hear more about your project, and to see some photos once it is underway.

Hello Straydog, I am not too sure about the www.dwelle.co.uk design - seems to be a luxury chalet - more an expensive toy for rich people than a low-cost simple home.

The cabin I am building will be used as a spare room for guests so I am not planning any running water but I do plan to try out a solar panel /inverter with low power lighting - if necessary, I can run an extension lead down the garden and charge the battery!

I am going to use wool insulation for walls and roof (4 inch thick) and polystyrene for the floor - your idea of pre-cut panels is interesting - I am not concerned with saving time so much but can see it would be great for those with limited time.

Will try to remember to take some pictures as the project goes on.

Hello Straydog, I am not too sure about the www.dwelle.co.uk design - seems to be a luxury chalet - more an expensive toy for rich people than a low-cost simple home.

The cabin I am building will be used as a spare room for guests so I am not planning any running water but I do plan to try out a solar panel /inverter with low power lighting - if necessary, I can run an extension lead down the garden and charge the battery!

I am going to use wool insulation for walls and roof (4 inch thick) and polystyrene for the floor - your idea of pre-cut panels is interesting - I am not concerned with saving time so much but can see it would be great for those with limited time.

Will try to remember to take some pictures as the project goes on.

Obviously nobody in their right mind would pay that sort of money for those Dwelle homes. But the design is nice. Compact, little kithcen/ bathroom in the back, sitting area in the front and loft bed on top.

So you are in fact building a spare room, not a tiny home ? That wasn't clear in your original post.

Obviously nobody in their right mind would pay that sort of money for those Dwelle homes. But the design is nice. Compact, little kithcen/ bathroom in the back, sitting area in the front and loft bed on top.

So you are in fact building a spare room, not a tiny home ? That wasn't clear in your original post.

Ok - I am trying out some design and build methods for the structure. I do not need to equip it as a fully functioning house but my plans for the future include building a slightly larger version which will be a self contained home - this will be in some woodland.

Ok - I am trying out some design and build methods for the structure. I do not need to equip it as a fully functioning house but my plans for the future include building a slightly larger version which will be a self contained home - this will be in some woodland.

Best be careful doing that. When it happens, be careful who you let know your business.

They (woodland buildings) are easy enough to disguise, just that there are strict laws forebidding the building of 'homes' within designated forest and woodland in the UK - even if you own it.

You usually have to get 'special dispensation' in order to do it.

An episode of Grand Designs (you migh have seen it?) had a fella who was the woodsman (it was under his protective care) and he had to apply for special permission to build a home there.

It could be shown that he was the custodian and need to be there permanantly in order to do his daily duties of managing and caring for the forest.

Before that he was living in a temporary bur-shelter open to the elements.

All ended happily ever after though.

He went on to build a really nice place and have a few kids with a frumenty lady (comely).

Good Luck.

Archived