Thinking of emigrating out of UK, (NZ or Canada?)

One thing I've learnt is that no two people will give you the same view, even if they live next door to each other.

Just imagine what you and your neighbour would say about where you live.

That's why I encourage as many views as possible, so you get the widest range of views.

I repeat, I'd love to hear what Kiwis abroad think of NZ.

I grew up in NZ, primary school in CHCH and High School / Uni in Auckland, then moved to Australia for the weather and job opportunties as it's a bigger market here.

I doubt I'd ever move back to NZ because I'm settled here now with house, job, family etc but I do love going back for a holiday. NZ is like a mini UK, the streets are narrower, the weather is colder and wetter than Oz. But what I miss about NZ is the scenery...stunning! Australia has really boring scenery, everywhere red dirt and gum trees.....been here 17 years and I'm over it. NZ has crystal clear rivers, in Oz they are brown...blah. People are friendlier in NZ I find, perhaps beacuse it's smaller? Food is better in NZ, the supermarkets in Oz are rubbish.

Aust has good resources and weather, great beaches too.

I grew up in NZ, primary school in CHCH and High School / Uni in Auckland, then moved to Australia for the weather and job opportunties as it's a bigger market here.

I doubt I'd ever move back to NZ because I'm settled here now with house, job, family etc but I do love going back for a holiday. NZ is like a mini UK, the streets are narrower, the weather is colder and wetter than Oz. But what I miss about NZ is the scenery...stunning! Australia has really boring scenery, everywhere red dirt and gum trees.....been here 17 years and I'm over it. NZ has crystal clear rivers, in Oz they are brown...blah. People are friendlier in NZ I find, perhaps beacuse it's smaller? Food is better in NZ, the supermarkets in Oz are rubbish.

Great to hear from you :D

What's amazing is that for someone from the UK, the NZ weather is fantastic. Th combination of hot Sun and cold easterlies is a bit different, but compared with the south of England it's like being on holiday most of the year.

I have to say, you're not selling Oz for me :D

I love the variation of weather, the green, the snow and snow covered mountains, and the space and general lack of people when out of the city.

To be able to travel such a short distance to a beach with only a handful of people on it.

I guess one day when we've seen all of NZ we'll pop over and see Oz. Maybe :D

...Food is better in NZ, the supermarkets in Oz are rubbish.

Food is better in NZ than Aus, I've lived in Aus and if you think that the food is worse there then FFS don't come and live in the UK :lol:

What I didn't like about NZ was the racial issues, North Island was worse than Sth Island I think, Auckland weather sucked, by 10am everyday it would be overcast, Auckland has awful traffic problems, forget driving on the motorways around rush hour, it's a car park......no decent train system. I can't speak for Wellington or CHCH as I haven't been there for years.

I guess each country has good and bad points, Australia has bigger cities with more opportunies. All capital cities have a good train system. Lots of jobs in the resources sector. I live in Queensland but now looking at moving to Melbourne just for a change and a cooler climate. Melbourne also has a lot of culture and sporting events.

NZ has more natural beauty, especially the Sth Island, I loved growing up in Christchurch, I miss the weeping willows over the Avon river.....all I see now are gum trees or palm trees. Summer here gets a bit too hot, I step out of my office at lunchtime and you get hit in the face like opening an oven.

I've never lived in the UK so I can't compare to that. I've been there are few times, my observations are that all houses are 2-3 stories high and joined to another house, where as in NZ and Aust they are usually 1 story and on their own block of land.

I've been thinking about it for a long time now, I think I am going to ask work if they need any help in their NZ Wellington office :) (wish me luck!)

The strength of the currency and scale of economic mess are two things which originally made me not so sure about it, but both will probably fair much better than the UK in the long run!

Thanks all

Archived