Is the future small?

First of all, I know nothing about economics.

Second, I've lost interest in working for big companies on big projects that cause big stress, burn big dollars and ultimately end in failure.

Is the future small? Walking down my local shopping street the other day, I thought about all the small businesses in the area. Just as each provides a service, so each will need services provided to them.

My interest now lies in this micro-economy. The possibility of multiple income streams, providing services to a number of small operations, rather than slaving for one big one doing the 9-5 (or, more usually, the 8-6), has potential, I think.

As more people work from home, reduce their hours and prefer less pay to more hassle, there could be some novel business opportunities, if you know where to look and don't mind asking. I don't mean those endless, badly worded leaflets advertising gardening and laundry services, however.

Cletus

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Cletus

I feel you man

I am also scoping a few ways to generate 'multiple income streams' and escape from the rat race... right now i have managed to produce only two: writing freelance for a local paper and teaching self-defence part-time (which is very gratifying)

Money earned from both amounts to 22% of my present salary, so a few more gigs like that and i might be able to 'move across'. Working for big business sucks and I want out of it.

Problem is, all these endevours eat up time, and it's hard to keep it all going when you are working full-time :(

Cletus

I feel you man

I am also scoping a few ways to generate 'multiple income streams' and escape from the rat race... right now i have managed to produce only two: writing freelance for a local paper and teaching self-defence part-time (which is very gratifying)

Money earned from both amounts to 22% of my present salary, so a few more gigs like that and i might be able to 'move across'. Working for big business sucks and I want out of it.

Problem is, all these endevours eat up time, and it's hard to keep it all going when you are working full-time

[/code]

Ok that was me, Tuberider. sometimes this darn thing doesnt want to log me in, but i think i AM logged in, which results in unsigned messages :(

anyone else experiencing this ?

Problem is, all these endevours eat up time, and it's hard to keep it all going when you are working full-time :lol:

Agreed, but the effort will pay off. Any chance you can reduce your hours in your full-time job? I'm currently fortunate enough to work 3 days per week for 'the man', allowing me time to study and get my other projects up and running (freelance web development amongst other things).

Multiple income streams sound like a good way of surviving the coming downturn, and help you to ride the flexible labour market. I feel a new website coming on: www.recessionsurvivalexpert.com!

What do you reckon?

Multiple income streams sound like a good way of surviving the coming downturn, and help you to ride the flexible labour market. I feel a new website coming on: www.recessionsurvivalexpert.com!

Maybe we need an economic Ray Mears to help us survive the upcoming wilderness years. Now where's that piece of wood I was going to whittle a DOW put option from...

As ever, the adaptable and those travelling light from any walk of life will survive and profit. The indebted will be wearing lead boots as the sea level rises

TLM

Ray Mears?

Ray Mears is known world wide for his TV series, Extreme Survival, World of

Survival and the Ultimate Survival Guide.

http://www.raymears.com

Ray Mears?

Ray Mears is known world wide for his TV series, Extreme Survival, World of

Survival and the Ultimate Survival Guide.

http://www.raymears.com

that's the one. I have a lot of time for this guy. Ignore the 'extreme survival' bit which makes you think jump cuts and wrestling alligators. He's actually very understated, has a great respect for the environment and obviously very skilled at living off the land. In one programme he whittles a spoon from a piece of wood - a joy to watch. He always involves his crew (film/sound) in what he's doing and doesn't try and pretend he's the only human for miles. There's always a moral at the end, but doesn't come over as trite or sanctimonious IMO. I'd want him on side if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere.

TLM

Ray Mears, on Surving the Economic Depression:

Possible book title in 2010?

Ray Mears, on Surving the Economic Depression:

Possible book title in 2010?

Ray should team up with the guy who built the 'House in the Woods' on Grand Designs:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-...ex_woodman.html

and write about how to live cheaply and sustainably in the New Depression.

The book would also need to cover reinventing oneself and reskilling for the globalised, flexible labour market. I'm not sure Ray is the best person to write that though.

Agreed, but the effort will pay off. Any chance you can reduce your hours in your full-time job? I'm currently fortunate enough to work 3 days per week for 'the man', allowing me time to study and get my other projects up and running (freelance web development amongst other things).

What do you reckon?

'the man' has me by the balls right now, but hey that cant last forever. got a new wife and we would like to start a family soon, so we need the money. also this bloody global property bubble isnt making things easier. hoping that will change soon

I like the idea of 'recession survival' - i got a feeling frugality is going to become very very fashionable in the next 5 years or so

Archived