Natural light 'to reinvent bulbs'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4906188.stm

A light source that could put the traditional light bulb in the shade has been invented by US scientists.

The organic light-emitting diode (OLED) emits a brilliant white light when attached to an electricity supply.

My son has an OLED in his Sony MP3 player and it is rather freaking in the way there is nothing there and then a display appears. These are basically LEDs that can be "printed" on to various flexible materials. I would have thought that curtains would make the obvious list of things to turn into lights.

i wonder how much power these new lights consume

• 2 weeks later...

HE NUB OF IT...

more than 20% of electricity used in US buildings is eaten up by lights and nearly half that amount is used by traditional, incandescent light bulbs. It has been a long-term goal of scientists to come up with something that would reduce this mammoth energy demand. The new work exploits the properties of carbon-based polymers to produce the white light. These are already found in some mobile phone displays and MP3 players.

Light bulbs: Not a bright idea?

Until now, they have been unable to generate sufficient light to illuminate a room. To create the new material, the scientists build up ultra-thin layers of plastics coated with green, red and blue dyes. When an electric current passes through them, they combine to produce white light.

- -

Some alive today still recall using candles as an important light source- so why not another change?

Some alive today still recall using candles as an important light source- so why not another change?

Seems to be a far better application of the technology compared with security labels, it's probably because light bulbs is one of those mundane things you just accept it as it is.

Archived