where to invest in a recession

hi there, i've been studying up on things and it's time to ask for help.

i've been reading various opinions on property following price of crude oil and come to the conclusion it wont be true over the next five years, but wondering what percentage of metal and fuels consumption is due to china's expansion and whether this will change in next five years? I've been looking at movements of the property market versus stock market over the last hundred trying to see if they move in unison or in opposite directions, and, as a beginner, being convinced that property, savings investments, bonds and stocks are all bad earners over the next five years, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm new to the idea of looking ahead with money, being more of a lucky opportunist in the past. So I'm asking - is there anywhere I can make a few percent over inflation over the next five years - how do people make money during a recession?

If i cant come up with anything perhaps i could learn mandarin and visit china to see what's happening there and if it will be any different. Or perhaps buy property in japan or just buy yen..seeing as buying property there seems impossible unless you marry a japanese or something!

thanks guys - trying to do well for my new family!

being convinced that property, savings investments, bonds and stocks are all bad earners over the next five years, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm new to the idea of looking ahead with money, being more of a lucky opportunist in the past. So I'm asking - is there anywhere I can make a few percent over inflation over the next five years - how do people make money during a recession?

I think this is the Kondratieff winter or K-winter. If it's not already familiar to you, you should at least do some background reading on it.

And welcome to the board. :)

...I've been looking at movements of the property market versus stock market over the last hundred trying to see if they move in unison or in opposite directions, and, as a beginner, being convinced that property, savings investments, bonds and stocks are all bad earners over the next five years, does anyone have any suggestions?

You need to consider what drove UK property prices to such high levels:

+ Excessive speculative demand driven by greed, constant hype, shared belief, and good marketing

+ Very aggressive financing, from banks that threw away the rule books

+ Rapid growth in global money supply, with the money looking for a home

The sentiment has been broken, and is not easy to bring back. Nor is the aggressive finance

The money that the Fed and the BofE is pumping is going other areas, like commodities. Eventually they will get into bubble territory too.

I dont think gold and precious metals are there yet

And, yes, Welcome... and study the threads on the K-wave

Archived