If they start snatching gold...

They snatched it from Americans during the Great Depression, it could happen again, there have been warnings here but if that happens... what happens next?

As in, what do you do with your hidden gold? Who can you sell it to? You are sitting on x ounces of the stuff and the larder is empty. What happens next?

I can see it being useful once the crisis has past and you are once more legally allowed to hold gold but just how usefull is it in a time of prohibition?

As in, what do you do with your hidden gold? Who can you sell it to? You are sitting on x ounces of the stuff and the larder is empty. What happens next?

Move it to Canada inside a cake box, I suppose

They snatched it from Americans during the Great Depression, it could happen again, there have been warnings here but if that happens... what happens next?

I can see it being useful once the crisis has past and you are once more legally allowed to hold gold but just how usefull is it in a time of prohibition?

The black market economy will always take your money

For things to have gotten so bad that confiscation happens, you would already be at the point where bartering would be occurring and street corner dealing in everything. You would even get a decent rate of conversion.

Move it to Canada inside a cake box, I suppose

Best of luck getting past the metal detector at the airport and who is to say Canada won't be snatching gold as well? No way they could snatch it in India so that would be an option if you can get there with your fortune intact.

id5, Yeah I suppose the black economy will come to the rescue as it always does. Cigarettes have been a good source of currency in war zones.

I've been trying to develop a movie idea based on financial armegeddon (just amusement, no serious intent). Sort of a 28 months later where paper money has no value and my old pre decimal copper and silver coins are taken by shopkeeprs and workers are paid in either food or metals. I'm curious as to how a country would develop if the people decided on what the currency should be and ignored the government as if it wasn't there.

I've been trying to develop a movie idea based on financial armegeddon (just amusement, no serious intent). Sort of a 28 months later where paper money has no value and my old pre decimal copper and silver coins are taken by shopkeeprs and workers are paid in either food or metals. I'm curious as to how a country would develop if the people decided on what the currency should be and ignored the government as if it wasn't there.

Ooooh, can you write in a 4 hour scene where Gordon Brown, Tony Blair and.... in fact, all MPs.... get rounded up by an angry braying mob who proceed to slowly, painfully and viscerally torture them to death, one by one? I would pay a small fortune to watch that. Repeatedly.

...Yeah I suppose the black economy will come to the rescue as it always does. Cigarettes have been a good source of currency in war zones.

...my old pre decimal copper and silver coins are taken by shopkeeprs ...

The problem with pre-decimal coins is that only the coppers are worth anything. For silver coins you have to go back to 1947 when there were 50% silver, pre 1920 they were 92.5% silver. If there was a collapse then it will keep you going for a while.

The black economy seems to be rising in popularity though a friend of mine who thinks he is a mini-TTRTR, he has 4 or 5 HMO properties has just taken a rental payment of one used iPod and another paid him with a watch.

Archived