Testimonials - from GEI posters / Thanks !

Allow me to add another perspective on GEI's value.

I just got around to reading this.

What a great post, Wanderer. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

I think I will start a TESTIMONIALS thread, and copy it there.

===========================

From Wanderer:

Since finding GEI (and before it HPC before it went blinkered) I haven't made much money yet as a result of foolish investments when at 960 odd (doh!).If I'd had the courage of my convictions when I started reading here I wouldn't be reading here still but lying on a beach sipping pina colada somewhere.... However I've grown increasingly bold and, although my timing has been out, I've now built up a portfolio I'm happy with plus some spare cash ready to go.

I've been tempted to think, from time to time, that some of us on here are nuts. But I found the logic of what was being said compelling, even if it was at odds with the mainstream press. A few months ago I realised I must have been reading a lot on here as most of my friends began to think I was nuts and a 'doommonger' [such that I even changed my user-name lest folk at work think I was going Communist or some such. However, over the last month events have unfolded so quickly and so in line with what many here have been predicted that I feel privelidged to have been busy on this board.

Now I notice many stressed out people wondering how they are going to make ends meet. Some of my friends who have nothing are less worried as they sense they might be able to afford a house or something one day if prices keep falling, although they can't see where a mortgage is going to come from. I must be one of the few people with reasonable investments reading newspaper headlines about the current situation with equanimity.... GEI and all who post here have done much to help this.

I'd like to say a big thank you to those who contribute daily to this board and deal patiently with questions being asked for the nth time. Many thanks to all. THanks also to people like Wrongmove and Magpie who quiz and challenge the 'prevailing' views on this board. The board is more credible for counter-opinions and we must be careful not to drive them away - we'd all be weaker as a result.

Finally, go easy on the rockets. They, more than anything else, have panicked me into investing at the wrong time rather than waiting more patiently for the dips that inevitably come to pass.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got around to reading this.

What a great post, Wanderer. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

I think I will start a TESTIMONIALS thread, and copy it there.

===========================

From Wanderer:

Since finding GEI (and before it HPC before it went blinkered) I haven't made much money yet as a result of foolish investments when at 960 odd (doh!).If I'd had the courage of my convictions when I started reading here I wouldn't be reading here still but lying on a beach sipping pina colada somewhere.... However I've grown increasingly bold and, although my timing has been out, I've now built up a portfolio I'm happy with plus some spare cash ready to go.

I've been tempted to think, from time to time, that some of us on here are nuts. But I found the logic of what was being said compelling, even if it was at odds with the mainstream press. A few months ago I realised I must have been reading a lot on here as most of my friends began to think I was nuts and a 'doommonger' [such that I even changed my user-name lest folk at work think I was going Communist or some such. However, over the last month events have unfolded so quickly and so in line with what many here have been predicted that I feel privelidged to have been busy on this board.

Now I notice many stressed out people wondering how they are going to make ends meet. Some of my friends who have nothing are less worried as they sense they might be able to afford a house or something one day if prices keep falling, although they can't see where a mortgage is going to come from. I must be one of the few people with reasonable investments reading newspaper headlines about the current situation with equanimity.... GEI and all who post here have done much to help this.

I'd like to say a big thank you to those who contribute daily to this board and deal patiently with questions being asked for the nth time. Many thanks to all. THanks also to people like Wrongmove and Magpie who quiz and challenge the 'prevailing' views on this board. The board is more credible for counter-opinions and we must be careful not to drive them away - we'd all be weaker as a result.

Finally, go easy on the rockets. They, more than anything else, have panicked me into investing at the wrong time rather than waiting more patiently for the dips that inevitably come to pass.

Dr Bubb, you appear to be a humble, rational and educated person .. And you succeeded in eloquently stating your views and positions... Thank you .. I agree with you on the value we receive from GEI and its member postings, although I'm new to Mike's site.

My take is that we gather facts and formulate opinions and do so over the years we're priveledged to spend on this great planet Earth ... Wow, what a gift! ... And assuming we're of sound mind, age gives us an advantage over youth, yet there's unquestionably great intelligence in youth who aren't necessarily blessed with the years of expereicne/knowledge we have. Based on this simple qualification, allow me to state my case:

I see our entire global economy teetering on the verge of collapse; that's the bad news and I'm done with that ... At the same time, we have ingenous minds out there, (young and old), that might be able to find a way of postponing the inevitable; and I hope and pray they succeed! .. For my part, I'm a pessimist about the economy and to hedge, I've gathered gold bullion coins, many gallons of gasoline, scooter transporation, a year's water suppy, guns, pistols, and a stockpile of ammo. ...(all of which I hope to NEVER touch, by the way). And my cash is in US Treasuries and "guranteeed" investments ... For some strange reason, having these hedges let me sleep better at night.. (a good night's sleep is a blessing in and of itself and something I'm willing to pay for).

At the same time, our having LIFE on this great Earth is a blessing and every day seems to bring new challenges and opportunties... We are so fortunate to have this... But, one must keep an open and receptive mind to permit these opportunities to manifest themselves into our daily lives. If you apprach each day this way, it's really easy.

My feeling is that we need to enjoy the days; enjoy our lives, enjoy the things that have been given to us ... If our world slides into Depression, or worse, we will always be able to look back upon these great times which have been GREAT! ... We have been blessed .. Let just hope we find a way to avoid the ENEVITABLE financial collpase in our and our children's lifetimes! Not much we can do, granted

So, I can't wait to see what the "market" deals us next week .... It should be great to watch, if not to actively engage in .... As long as I'm here and understand the worst case, I think it will be interesitng and a hell of a lot of fun...

Archived