The Hydrogen Revolution

(These guys were also responsible for the Riverside Conversations-

quotes are in English, commentary in Dutch)

A two part series on the fuel that will change the world forever.

Episode 1: Beyond Oil Oil production has reached its peak. China, India and other countries are desperate for oil. Very soon the demand for oil will outrun the production. Extreme price fluctuations will occur. Hydrogen will disrupt the world’s energy system.

Episode 2: The Clean Freedom Hydrogen will become the major fuel in the next decades. The hydrogen car will alter the world’s energy system and the car will turn into a very efficient electric power plant. Hydrogen, produced from sustainable sources like wind, solar and geothermal energy and biomass will create a free world from which Third World countries can benefit the most.

@: http://www.npbsales.com/?article=1632&...emplate=program

Links, direct to the Videos: Episode 1? : Episode 2?

• 1 year later...

Yes, a hydrogen based economy sounds great, as long as 4 btu's of energy input yielding 1 btu of useable energy seems like a reasonable equation. Hydrogen:

* Amount of free hydrogen on earth- none

* Cost to isolate hydrogen from other compounds such as NH3 (amonia)- very high

* Cost to compress hydrogen to several hundred atmospheres or cool to liquid- :blink:TREMENDOUS

* Ability to store hydrogen- for all intents and purposes related to automobiles, it's just about zero. Liquid hydrogen would have to be allowed to boil off and thus a tank would empty itself, without driving, in a week or two. Pretty inefficient.

Further, those who think that the perfect situation is to have solar panels on their home (10 watts/sq ft) to generate their own hydrogen to run a hydrogen fuel cell, uhhh, guess again (do the math).

While I realize technology evolves and allows what is "silly" now to be doable in the future; I think hydrogen is pretty much bunk (except in specific applications like submarines and NASA). There are much better alternatives. To me, energy storage seems like the best route, long term. I like the primary power source to be from the grid. I'd like to see more solar and nuclear to fuel the grid. In the near term, to my way of thinking, diesel-hybrid is the best solution. That's another topic. :lol:

Yes, a hydrogen based economy sounds great, as long as 4 btu's of energy input yielding 1 btu of useable energy seems like a reasonable equation.

Thanks for those comments, Maximilian

I will unpin this thread.- it never generated much interest anyway.

Archived