Is it the right time to invest in BP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think at this point of time it's not advisable to invest in them primarily because of the certain issues with them. Maybe it's on 50-50 so you better think about it I guess. Life is full of risk but in my opinion you better know which you will go in since we all experience a crisis. That's my opinion it is still up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Pershing Square Capital Wagers Against BP Debt With Credit-Default Swaps

By Christine Richard and Shannon D. Harrington - Aug 26, 2010 1:27 PM PT

Bill Ackman’s Pershing Square Capital Management LP is betting against the debt of BP Plc through credit-default swaps, saying the energy company’s creditworthiness will be dented for years by the biggest offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

The accident has “likely permanently impaired the ability of BP to operate effectively in the U.S.,” Ackman wrote today in a letter to investors obtained by Bloomberg News. “The clean-up costs, penalties, and legal liabilities of the spill will continue to impair the company’s credit for many years.”

Pershing, which made more than $1 billion in 2008 betting against bond insurers through credit swaps, began buying protection in May against London-based BP defaulting on its debt, the month after a rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico triggered the spill.

Ackman, who initially paid 60 basis points a year to protect the debt, is now paying an average cost of 280 basis points a year, according to the letter, which was posted earlier by financial news website Dealbreaker.com. Ackman didn’t immediately return a call for comment. Scott Dean, a BP spokesman, declined to comment.

Credit swaps protecting against a BP default for five years soared to at least 631 basis points on June 16 from 42 basis points the day before the rig explosion, according to data provider CMA. That cost has declined to 255 basis points after BP sealed the well that spewed an estimated 4.9 million barrels of crude into the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-26/a...-oil-spill.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived