Does anyone read Thom Calandra's Blog ?

Does anyone read Thom Calandra's Blog ?

medium-1321929112.png

thomcalandra

Bio: Thom is a private investor and a writer.

==========

I will be meeting Thom for next weekend, and will try to pass on questions that people might have

==========

thomcalandra :

on biotech end: bcrx$ missing in action this flu season?

Dec. 2 at 7:11 AM thomcalandra

still to purchase among metals equities: riverstone resources $RVS.CA ... more solvista

Dec. 2 at 7:10 AM thomcalandra

I Bought today: Added to Scorpio Gold $SGN.CA and Xtra-Gold $XTG.CA $XTGR. Both are clients of www.babybulls.com, www.torreyhillscapital.com

Dec. 2 at 5:00 AM thomcalandra

Global Equity Indexes Fall 15% In 1 Day? Say, Friday Or Monday? Yes. Fiscal, geopolitical and Mideast terror are likely drivers for selloff.

Dec. 2 at 4:58 AM thomcalandra

Metals equities green on screen: Silver -- $EXK, $FSM, $AG

/source: http://stocktwits.com/thomcalandra

SEC complaint

In January 2004, Calandra resigned from Marketwatch after an internal probe into his trading activities that followed an SEC request for data on personal stock trades and e-mail messages.[4] A year later, the SEC accused him of "scalping": selling stocks shortly after his investment newsletter's positive recommendations of the stocks caused their prices to rise, without disclosing the sales. In 2005, Calandra settled the charges, without admitting or denying the allegations.

The SEC said that "[...] Calandra made over $400,000 in illegal profits through a practice known as "scalping" — buying shares of thinly-traded, small-cap companies, writing highly favorable newsletter profiles recommending the companies to his newsletter subscribers, and then selling the majority of his shares when the increased demand generated by his favorable columns drove up the stock price."[5]

The SEC said that from March to December 2003, Calandra made over $400,000 through buying shares of 23 different small-cap stocks while writing favorable newsletter profiles recommending the stocks, and then selling the his shares after the stocks rose after his columns were published. The SEC also accused Calandra of failing to disclose that he was compensated from a stock promoter affiliated with two companies that he profiled.

"In addition to his scalping transactions, Calandra received undisclosed consideration in the form of substantially-discounted stock from two companies that he profiled in TCR (The Calandra Report), Goldmarca and IMC Ventures. Calandra purchased discounted shares in Goldmarca and IMC Ventures from a Canadian stock promoter that Calandra knew was associated with both companies. On October 28, 2003, Calandra purchased 155,000 shares of Goldmarca at $0.23 per share, a 39% discount from the market price of $0.38 per share. Similarly, he purchased 70,000 shares of IMC Ventures on the same day, at the discounted price of $0.37 per share, a 59% discount off of the company's market price of $0.91 per share.

Calandra then provided the companies with positive publicity in TCR. He wrote on multiple occasions about both Goldmarca and IMC Ventures, but never disclosed his receipt of discounted shares to his readers.

Calandra sold the majority of his shares of Goldmarca and IMC Ventures immediately after touting the companies in TCR, making total profits of $52,022.75 and $61,496, respectively." [6] [7]

The SEC said in a statement that Calandra "betrayed his readers' trust" by using his newsletter to engage in trading profits. "Calandra's readers were entitled to know about his trading activity, so that they could evaluate the credibility and impartiality of Calandra's investment advice for themselves," SEC District Administrator Helane Morrison said in a statement.[8]

I heard of that case, and I can recall reading Thom's columns back then.

In fact, I got some useful ideas from those old columns, and I think his ideas were well-supported by facts and were not pure ramping. Whatever the problem was, Thom is past it now, lessons learned.

Friends in London have put Thom in touch with me, and they speak well of him.

Whatever the problem was, Thom is past it now, lessons learned.

Dear Bubb. One is in awe of your insight into the mind of someone you have never met

Dear Bubb. One is in awe of your insight into the mind of someone you have never met

That is based on what my friend has said, and also an email response to the above:

"have to ackbowledge all that sec material ... part of the fabric now i guess"

(here's Thom's latest):

Thom Calandra: Four Actions to Take Right Now

December 2, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO – This is one of those “Things You Must Do Before The New Year.”

Here at Torrey Hills Capital’s Baby Bulls, I am altering that hackneyed come-on to this: Four Actions For Right Now. (Whose New Year are we talking about, anyway?)

1. Buy low. Tax-loss selling season has driven more than several metals equities to prices not seen since 2009. These include Platinum Group Metals (PLG and T.PTM), Great Basin Gold (GBG and T.GBG), Great Panther Silver (GPL and T.GPR) and Canaco Resources (V.CAN). I own all four, and there are others in my portfolio that are depressed and deserve a look-see, including Golden Valley Mines (V.GZZ), Solvista (V.SVV) and Gold Standard Ventures (V.GV). (See portfolio holdings link below.) PLG, GZZ, GV and GPL are investor-outreach clients of Torrey Hills Capital – meaning the firm, including me, can benefit if stock options we have received in payment for services rise in value. (All photos Thom Calandra)

/ see: http://babybulltwits.wordpress.com/category/thom-calandra/

By coincidence, I have been watching (even buying in one case) some of these myself

On 12/3/2011 at 9:23 AM, DrBubb said:

That is based on what my friend has said, and also an email response to the above:

"have to ackbowledge all that sec material ... part of the fabric now i guess"

He just threw a switch and now would not dream of deceiving and defrauding his fellow man?

Having an instantly adjustable morality and a conscience blanking facility is vital for 'getting on' it seems.

Plus:

"Forgive me father, I might have sinned".

Such a big big org.

There must be safety in numbers....

He just threw a switch and now would not dream of deceiving and defrauding his fellow man?

Having an instantly adjustable morality and a conscience blanking facility is vital for 'getting on' it seems.

Plus:

"Forgive me father, I might have sinned".

Such a big big org.

There must be safety in numbers....

Many newsletter writers own shares in companies that they write about.

In fact, I think it is legal, so long as they declare in writing that they own some.

I don't know the exact infraction he was accused of, or what the settlement was.

Do you?

Many here write bullish comments about Gold. I assume that they own some. If they were required to reveal that they had acquired the shares cheaply, a long time ago, or were being paid some gold to post about it, how would you feel?

So

1 Gf's morality is similar to that of Calandra?

2 The offences outlined in post 2 are greatly exaggerated?

3 We are all automatons that cannot tell them apart?

The chap over at IKN may have a brash style but he calls it as he sees it and has been bang on about a lot of the shysters in the mining world for many years. Thom Calandra certainly is not on his christmas card list and not just for the 2005 thing:

http://incakolanews.blogspot.com/search/label/thom%20calandra

The chap over at IKN may have a brash style but he calls it as he sees it and has been bang on about a lot of the shysters in the mining world for many years. Thom Calandra certainly is not on his christmas card list and not just for the 2005 thing:

http://incakolanews.blogspot.com/search/label/thom%20calandra

It is in the nature of Junior miners and explorers that they tend to spike upwards,

when there's a sudden rise in buying interest. And those surges are often followed

by big falls.

The danger inherent in these stocks is one reason that I only occasionally discuss stocks

that I am buying on this website - with a few interesting exceptions.

I don't want to be accused of GEI being involved in a "pump and dump" operation, it has

a different mission - Sharing information - not extracting a quick profit for its posters.

I think those who do write about stocks in the Junior sector will inevitably be accused of

assisting dump-and-pumps.

In a way, I am glad this discussion and this sort of mud-slinging came to this thread.

It highlights the risk in investing in the sector.

In a way, I am glad this discussion and this sort of mud-slinging came to this thread.

Err no mud-slinging from me old chap thank you very much. I am merely highlighting what another prominent member of the junior resource community makes of this Thom Calandra. The detail is there and folks can of course make their own mind up.

(I have received this comment from Thom Calandra):

I made a mistake in not disclosing my sales fast enough back in 2003; I have no excuse. I spent 10 years building a news service. The entire affair with the SEC was settled ... but I understand if there are folks who feel bitter or burned. I had a lot of influence. I have tried to explain the circumstances -- search for the interviews, which have appeared over the years in print and broadcast. I enjoy researching companies, and back then, and now, there are a lot of individuals who made and are making money. I know there are some who have lost as well. I am always available --to critics and supporters. Those who know me know that I am easy to get along with, healthy, sane and ethical. I hope that helps, and I love to hear from all investors, and have reached out to my critics and my friends. I still love to visit cos, especially high-risk and grassroots natural resources properties. I am active in Colombia, Ghana, Mali and Mexico. Also Quebec.

Best, thom

--

Thom Calandra

Torrey Hills Capital: USA

On 12/5/2011 at 6:39 PM, DrBubb said:

(I have received this comment from Thom Calandra):

I made a mistake in not disclosing my sales fast enough back in 2003; I have no excuse. I spent 10 years building a news service. The entire affair with the SEC was settled ... but I understand if there are folks who feel bitter or burned. I had a lot of influence. I have tried to explain the circumstances -- search for the interviews, which have appeared over the years in print and broadcast. I enjoy researching companies, and back then, and now, there are a lot of individuals who made and are making money. I know there are some who have lost as well. I am always available --to critics and supporters. Those who know me know that I am easy to get along with, healthy, sane and ethical. I hope that helps, and I love to hear from all investors, and have reached out to my critics and my friends. I still love to visit cos, especially high-risk and grassroots natural resources properties. I am active in Colombia, Ghana, Mali and Mexico. Also Quebec.

Best, thom

--

Thom Calandra

Torrey Hills Capital: USA

Thank you for posting. I will be speaking at Shenzhen Global Resource Investment Conference this coming Friday and Saturday. I believe at Sheraton Futian. I welcome all questions and rotten tomatoes. P.S., I see Inter-Citic Minerals (ICI) has this morning what looks like potent gold assays. Best, Thom

I will be meeting Thom for next weekend, and will try to pass on questions that people might have

Notice he covers Mexico and possibly EDR:TSX. Wondered if he has paid them any recent visits and what he thinks of their recent presentation? Huge production growth and whilst cash generative, what does he think to the idea of holding back sales for stronger prices led by David Morgan?

For the record I trade these.

Notice he covers Mexico and possibly EDR:TSX. Wondered if he has paid them any recent visits and what he thinks of their recent presentation? Huge production growth and whilst cash generative, what does he think to the idea of holding back sales for stronger prices led by David Morgan?

For the record I trade these.

Charts:

ICI / Inter-Citic Minerals Inc : ICI.t-chart

GPL / Great Panther Silver Ltd : GPL.amex-chart : GPR.v-chart

I have owned both of these stocks in the past, and would consider buying again. ICI may have put in a low near $0.75, but the rally off that low has come with unconvincing volume, so there may be another better buying opportunity than today's price. GPL is still near its low

• 8 years later...
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthomcalandra.com%

Thought Leaders = Money Leaders
" I own gold, silver, platinum and copper..."

Gold right now (Sunday evening North America time zones) is rising $27 USD an ounce. At $1,579 an ounce, gold thus far this week of January 6, 2020, is notching an almost-7-year high. (March 2013 - $1,575)

The technicals are not what is important. Yes, the why is important: Middle East conflict and probable $60 and $70 oil, messed-up shipping lanes. Bloodshed.

But for me, and for folks who make money for me, most important is the incessant rise of all metals in 2019, and really, with pauses and exceptions, for the past 15 years or more in real purchasing power.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.44.34 PM.png

Gold, palladium, platinum, silver, nickel, iron ore, many others. Battery metals, non-battery metals. Copper is catching up. Most are proxies for currencies, and of course, proxies for real-world uses: whether as financial portfolio insurance or for antimicrobial copper or for EVs or for highways digital and highways asphalt. 

There will be plenty of valuable metals whys in 2020 and probably 2021 and 2022.

I own gold, silver, platinum and copper as physical holdings and via the producers, the developers, the royalty-companies and the explorers.

I'll keep you linked to my personal research and to the ideas and strategies of the professional investors I respect.

They include Ewan Downie of Premier Gold, John McConnell of Victoria Gold, Wade Dawe of Torrent Capital, Matt Geiger of MJG Capital, Simon Catt of Arlington Capital, Akiko Levinson of Irving Resources, others. Just ask.
Below, I reference a professional asset manager and seed capitalist who made me the most money in 2019. And even last week.

On The Record For 2020

Thank you for subscribing to a solid report about making money. Now, please send me its name and how much it charges.

The Calandra Report/TCR audience:

1. My timing is mediocre at best; the research is genuine. In vibrant times for small-companies and securities, The Calandra Report/TCR excels. Hits it out of the ballpark. Otherwise, I tend to hold ideas for long spans and suffer through steep declines in net worth.
  2. Money managers (I have no desire there) feel less loved and less liked than most professionals. Clients call their asset handlers when things are going wrong, like the Marlon Brando character calling his broker in the film The Freshman. Same happens to writers and researchers. Never (or rarely) when things are going right.
  3. I wanted to thank, in that regard, Jim H., who dropped in this week with a THANK YOU for introducing him to Amex Exploration during a walkabout at the New Orleans Investment Conference. Thank you, Jim of Irving, Texas. (Go Cowboys -- next year, that is.)
  4. Amex in Québec was and is a big winner thus far. AMX/AMXEF at Perron is looking like that province's biggest gold discovery in many years. Probably gains along the lines of Canada's Great Bear Resources.
  5. Other exploration winners here at The Calandra Report/TCR are long-timers: as in, long time coming pour moi as an investor but probably no less worthy, unless you are investing with margin or with your spouse's inheritance (which I am not). Prime time for Golden Valley Mines -- owned it and side by side with founder Glenn Mullan at Malartic near Val d'-Or since the first three-way spinoff of a Toronto-traded security: July 2011 or 2012, I always forget. Same with those other 'zeds.' GZZ and RZZ, Abitibi Royalties, big winners thus far.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthomcalandra.com%  Join me for another walkabout, or a panel or two, at this Vancouver Investment bang-up.

6. The roy-cos, royalty companies, as Brett Heath of Metalla Royalty concurs, almost always are a harbinger of what is likely to transpire with metals valuations in coming months and years. Thus far, the roy-cos, EMX Royalty, Metalla, Abitibi, Golden Valley Mines (part-owner of Abitibi), are big winners.
  7. This little year-ender is not about indicating our solid winners; we had quite a few in the metals ...  and several elsewhere outside natural resources (Kneat Inc. for bio-pharma software; Antibe Therapeutics for a clinical naproxen proxy, an analgesic; Planet 13 Holdings, Las Vegas cannabis superstore). This is to expose my losers; well, not expose them in a shameful sense.
  8. Biggest money loser thus far is IMV Inc. I believe the immuno-therapy developer is weeks away from knocking the cancer out of its stock price. I bought more today Tuesday at $2.78 USD and expect international attention to its mono-therapy trial for ovarian cancer (next results mid-February). I believe we here at home are now back to the most ever owned, more than 120,000 shares I think. If this 4 1/2-year cancer commitment is not working price-wise by then, I will be selling half or more of the stake. I am down about 90 cents USD on the stock price. (IMV/IMV)

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fthomcalandra.com%

9. Another boulder-massive loser, and in the books, was Virginia Energy Resources, that uranium deposit in Virginia and our lottery ticket in the U.S. Supreme Court. I am now entirely gone with a steep loss. BioCryst Pharma another blow-down yet I still own some -- hereditary angioedema pill heading to prescription pads. BCRX is still insurance in the event of a pandemic virus onslaught.
  10. A turnaround that turned a couple of times since 2017 or so was DHX Media, now WildBrain. It's WILD on the Toronto. I've covered the Peanuts out of it for a couple of years. Wade K. Dawe at Torrent Capital, which owns WILD, just posted a penetrating review of WildBrain's working parts: broadcast, streaming, production, distribution of kids' programming. Not to sound like a promoter, but this time ALL SYSTEMS ARE GO, I believe, as does Wade in his review. Wade as a professional asset manager and as a seed capitalist owns a lot of gold; his timing is probably the fastest and most discerning I know in the business.
  11. Oh, and RhinoMed Global -- sleep science in Australia labs. A big winner if I had ejected it at the cannabis high. I'm even now at half the price and sleeping not on it but with it. I hold RNO (Melbourne) and added earlier in the year.

Looking for steady gains with fewer of the sharp peaks and valleys the unscrubbed metals explorers experience? Ivanhoe Mines (not small but a healthy pre-teenager with 3, probably 4 developing mines in Africa). High stakes yet tiny market worth? Salazar Resources (Ecuador -- SLR/SLRZF); Xtra-Gold Resources (Ghana -- XTG/XTGRF); Banyan Gold (Yukon -- BYN). Those three are tightly held and not likely to lose ground or get diluted by equity financings. Each is running a bit here in December 2019 so don't chase 'em too hard.

Regarding the obscure explorers-developers: Nouveau Monde Graphite (NOU in Toronto). Maple Gold Mines (MGM in Toronto). And ones I am perusing yet do not own: Nevada Copper (NCU in Canada); Azimut Exploration (Québec -- AZM). Not as obscure: copper-gold developer Trilogy Metals in Alaska -- liquid stock that won't slow down, even as short-sellers momentarily shave cents off the USD and CAD stock price. 

Finally, although there is no finale, there are metals producers. Victoria Gold and its new Eagle Gold Mine in Canada's Yukon will achieve $800 free cash flow, or more, per ounce of gold it will produce this 2020.
  12. Happy snappy for 2020. Please call or ping me, text me, web-site me if ever you want further collateral or an introduction to the cats who run these companies. I don't get paid to do that. But I hope you will.

New subscribers always considered. (I do shamefully little of what they call 'marketing' for The Calandra Report/TCR.)

-- Thom Calandra (Thank you, friendly folks.)