MOVIE Suggestions, History, SciFi, Comedy

drbubb

MOVIE Suggestions

For history buffs at Christmas Time: Two Films, about the same Year, 1900.

V6SiuS9.png

By accident, I stumbled across two FREE movies on YouTube.  Which cover almost overlapping periods in history.  I started watching them, and decided it should be interesting to watch both, maybe one after another to have a better appreciation of history.  And maybe Phlippijnes history, which I don’t know that much about:

+ 55 Days in Peking.  Foreigners in China during the Boxer Rebellion about 1900.  With Charleton Heston,  Ava Gardner, David Niven. A Chinese secret society known as the Boxers embarked on a violent campaign to drive all foreigners from China   Its funny to see this 1963 film with Europeans playing historic Chinese rulers like Empress Dowager Cixi.

+ Amigo. A Filipino film about 1900, when American troops took on the Spanish and came to the Philippines

Lots of historical anachronisms in these, but interesting to ponder what happened over 100 years ago, when East met West.  China’s pride in its long history and how America challenge this, and Filipino pride too, are things we still ponder.

55 Days at Peking (1963) - Full length movie

In the face of all this turmoil, Emperor Xianfeng died in 1861, and Cixi’s five-year-old son became the imperial heir, dubbed Emperor Tongzhi. Before his death, Xianfeng had selected eight men—princes and ministers from his inner circle—to form a Board of Regents and rule until his son came of age.

Cixi saw the emperor’s death as a necessary moment to strike a blow to improve China. She thought the regents had poorly advised the emperor. Cixi, then known then as Concubine Yi, worked together with Zhen on a plan to launch a coup. She and Zhen were supported by two of Xianfeng’s brothers, Prince Gong—an advocate of appeasing the West—and Prince Chun, who had married Yi’s younger sister. The two women successfully overthrew the regents, imprisoning five of them, executing one, and ordering two to commit suicide. The dowager empresses would rule until the child emperor came of age. They took new names: Zhen became Ci’an (“kindly and serene”); and Yi took the name Cixi (“kindly and joyous”) to mark the events.   > source

"55 Days at Peking was released by Allied Artists on May 29, 1963 and received mixed reviews, mainly for its historical inaccuracies and lack of character development. However, the film was praised for its acting, direction, music, action sequences, and production design." > wiki

/ 2 /

AMIGO FULL MOVIE | FILIPINO MOVIE

"xx"

LINKS
About Empress Cixi: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/magazine/2016/11-12/profiles-china-empress-dowager-cixi-emperor-guangxu/

A switch to... Romantic Comedy

A NEW NORMAL...  Might be like the Old Normal. if Trump can win through the current chaos*

Finding Normal 2020 - New Great Hallmark Romance Movies 2020

== Watch Out for AD at about 15-16 minutes in

NEWT G.: "I Fear for the Country":                 

The truth of the Hunter Biden story is now becoming impossible to avoid or conceal.

The family of the Democrat nominee for president received at least $5 million from an entity controlled by our greatest adversary. It was a blatant payoff, and most Americans who voted for Biden never heard of it —  or were told before the election it was Russian disinformation. Once they did hear of it, 17 percent said they would have switched their votes, according to a poll by the Media Research Center.
That's the entire election. The censorship worked exactly as intended.

Typically, newspapers and media outlets band together when press freedom is threatened by censorship. Where was the sanctimonious "democracy dies in darkness?"
Tragically, The Washington Post is now part of the darkness.
But, this is just a start.
When Twitter censors four of five Rush Limbaugh tweets in one day, I fear for the country.
When these monolithic internet giants censor the president of the United States, I fear for the country.
When I see elite billionaires like Mark Zuckerburg are able to spend $400 million to hire city governments to maximize turnout in specifically Democratic districts —  without any regard to election spending laws or good governance standards —  I fear for the country.

Meantime, in 2020 Box Offce... DEATH BY WOKE

Wonder Woman 1984 - Official Main Trailer

WOKE is Killing itself: Good Riddance!:  (Pitty Pat suicided her career)
Nolte: ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Is Seventh Woketard Franchise to Die at Box Office  
So there’s that, the slow-draining of goodwill toward the quality of the original, and then you have the Woke factor, which is pure box office poison.
Hollywood’s Woketards have already killed six film franchises: Birds of Prey, Charlie’s Angels, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Men in Black, and Star Wars.

> https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2020/12/21/wonder-woman-1984-is-seventh-woketard-franchise-to-die-at-box-office/

Did Hellary Clinton narrate the Opening?  (& this might be the best part of a bad film)

WW84 | Opening Scene

Once again we see: Those on the Left, Cannot get it Right.  haha.  

Goodbye; Dress-boys. & Bimbos (& DimDem)   ->  Left lives on without Truth, (genuine) heart soul, or Gal Gadot

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CAMP SciFi :  10% on Rotten Tomatoes,  but I enjoyed it

A Polish - East German  production

Classic SciFi, with a 1960 view of the future.  Amazing to see what they thought would happen by 1985... most of which has not happened yet.  But our phones today, might be as powerful as their imagined supercomputers.  Communications are miles ahead, but many other things, like the reach of space travel is so far behind.  Did Aliens on the Moon frighten us maybe?    The film has a robot too, early version of R2D2     / 

FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS 🎬 Remastered Classic Full Sci-Fi Movie >

If you watch it, see if you catch the TeleTubbies reference

First-Spaceship-On-Venus-photos-1.jpg

TtB5NPe.jpg > Review

"Can't decide if the suits around 47:00 make them look more like Teletubbies or giant condoms."  = Teletubbies, definitely

Another Old Classic

Soldier Of Fortune (1955) - Full length movie

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:37 PM, drbubb said:

CAMP SciFi :  10% on Rotten Tomatoes,  but I enjoyed it

A Polish - East German  production

Classic SciFi, with a 1960 view of the future.  Amazing to see what they thought would happen by 1985... most of which has not happened yet.  But our phones today, might be as powerful as their imagined supercomputers.  Communications are miles ahead, but many other things, like the reach of space travel is so far behind.  Did Aliens on the Moon frighten us maybe?    The film has a robot too, early version of R2D2     / 

FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS 🎬 Remastered Classic Full Sci-Fi Movie >

NASA Announces Two New Missions to Study the Atmosphere and Surface of Venus
NASA on Wednesday announced two new missions named "DAVINCI+" and [Full Story]