New Island Resources

vssmnn

TSX:NIS

Market Cap: CAD $7.7 million

http://www.stockhouse.ca/comp_info.asp?sym...&table=LIST

Article from 2006

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=19880

written @ market Cap 14 million CAD ... now CAD 7,7 ;)

Interesting JV with

Anaconda Mining: Pine Cove / production early 2008

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=68873&sc=82

http://www.anacondamining.com/pinecoveprofile.html

Crew Gold: Nugget Pond (production 2008) & Glover Island

financial conditions of all JV conditions see website

and 8 Mio Shares in Prominex (seems 20%):

http://www.prominex.ca/s/Home.asp

http://www.prominex.ca/s/NewsReleases.asp?...ivate-Placement

http://www.stockhouse.ca/comp_info.asp?sym...&table=LIST

>>>>>>>>>>>I have bought some NIS shares last time

more stuff:

http://www.crewgold.com/pdf/denver_gold_250907.pdf

aertg5fv6.jpg

How'd you find, NIS, Conrad?

It's a real tidler, and I am a shareholder with an average cost near $0.18, have started buying at $0.23

It never really achieved much, in terms of promotion. But I agree that it looks cheap

Chart ... update : weekly

bigox8.gif

DrBubb, i read this article http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=68873&sc=82 and said to me:... looks nice, why not..and have started my own research

In the lifecycle of a explorer to a producer, NIS is in the low between the speculative- and production-phase...can only get better

I think, with a litte bit of patience this is a doublebagger or more

Prominex Earns 51% Interest in Tulks Hill

Prominex Earns 51% Interest in Tulks Hill

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, Nov 13, 2007 (Marketwire via COMTEX News Network) --

Prominex Resource Corp. (TSX VENTURE:PXR) (Prominex) announced today that it has earned a 51% interest in Buchans River Ltd.'s (TSX VENTURE:BUV) (Buchans River) Tulks Hill Property located approximately 40 kilometers southwest of the former mining town of Buchans, 25 kilometers west of the Duck Pond deposit, 12 kilometers northeast of Messina's Boomerang prospect and 5 kilometers southwest of their Tulks East Deposit. The property is accessible from both the towns of Buchans and Millertown by well-maintained pulpwood haulage roads.

The Prominex interest was earned under an agreement respecting the Property between Prominex and Buchans River (the "Agreement") which called for $1,000,0000 in work commitments by Prominex, cash payments of $70,000 to Buchans River, and the issuance of 900,000 Prominex common shares to Buchans River, all to be completed by November 4, 2009. Having completed the exploration program, cash payments, and share issuance, Prominex has exercised its right to accelerate the earn-in of its 51% interest in the property.

The Agreement provides that Prominex will be the operator of an unincorporated joint venture to be formed by Prominex and Buchans River to operate the Property. Subject to agreement on a program description, schedule and budget, the parties intend to carry out a further exploration program on the Property while they work to finalize the terms of a formal joint venture agreement.

TSX-X

---------------------------------

NEW ISLAND RESOURCES INC. ("NIS")

BULLETIN TYPE: Company Tier Reclassification

BULLETIN DATE: November 16, 2007

TSX Venture Tier 2 Company

In accordance with Policy 2.5, the Company has maintained the requirements

for a Tier 1 company. Therefore, effective November 19, 2007, the Company's

Tier classification will change from Tier 2 to:

Classification Tier 1

• 2 weeks later...

NIS Market cap is cheap cheap cheap... I wonder why!!!

News from Nugget Pond and Pinecove (Anaconda)

Nov 28, 2007 09:00 ET

Anaconda's Pine Cove Gold Mine Construction on Schedule

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Nov. 28, 2007) - Anaconda Mining Inc. ("Anaconda" or "the Company"), (TSX:ANX)(FRANKFURT:GJ2) is pleased to provide a progress report for the Pine Cove gold mine project in Baie Verte, Newfoundland and Labrador.

October and November continued to be productive months with site construction and development moving forward according to schedule. Mine Production is expected to begin in January, 2008 at a rate of 500 tonnes/day.

The mill building is substantially complete and all large equipment was successfully moved inside the perimeter wall.

Highlights for the month of October and November are as follows:

- Mill building was completed, with key processing equipment in place including drum filters, tanks, conveyer and concentrator.

- Crushing equipment is now on site.

- Access road from pit to mill is now in use. Phase II will bring the road to final grade and is expected to begin in January.

- 50,000 tonnes of waste rock were blasted. Over 75,000 tonnes have been drilled or blasted since the start of construction in July. All material is being used for the road, crusher area and other site requirements. Any ore that has to be moved is being stock piled for processing once commissioning has taken place.

- Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro have commenced cutting and surveying of the power line, with full power expected at end of January.

- Geological mapping/sampling has been initiated in advance of pit development to ensure potential mineralization is identified and segregated.

- Government Services provided approval for mill office/lab design. Both Federal and Provincial officials have visited the property with no concerns raised.

Lew Lawrick, Chairman and CEO of Anaconda stated: "we are very excited in advancing this project to production in such a short time period. Under the leadership of Allan Cramm, General Manager of the Pine Cove gold mine, we will be in production in the first quarter 2008." Anaconda started construction five months ago, in July 2007. All remaining construction work, including the office and dry portion of the mill as well as the installation of the Merrill Crowe unit are inside the mill building and will not be impacted by weather.

Pine Cove hosts probable reserves of 2,332,676 tonnes grading 2.76 grams gold per tonne for 207,000 oz. of gold. Inferred resources total 66,700 tonnes grading 2.43 grams gold per tonne for 5,200 oz. of gold. The above reserves and resources were prepared utilizing a cut-off grade of 0.95 grams gold per tonne.

The reserve estimate was completed by independent mining consultants and Qualified Persons, as defined by NI 43-101, Eugene Puritch, P.Eng. and Dr. Wayne Ewert, P.Geo. of P&E Mining Consultants Inc. of Brampton, Ontario. (See Anaconda press release dated April 28, 2005 at www.anacondamining.com or at www.sedar.com)

For recent pictures of the Pine Cove Site development, please visit Anaconda's website at www.anacondamining.com.

New Island Resources Inc.: New Island Reports Option Agreement and Further Drilling at Nugget Pond

ST. JOHN'S, NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR--(Marketwire - Nov. 28, 2007) - New Island Resources Inc. (New Island) (TSX VENTURE:NIS) of St. John's, NL reports that a five hole drill program on the Tilt Cove-Castle Rock area of its Nugget Pond claim blocks situated on the Baie Verte Peninsula in Newfoundland and approximately 10 kilometers northeast of the former Nugget Pond gold mine has been completed and it is currently awaiting results from samples submitted for assay.

The Company is pleased to advise that it has signed an option agreement with South Coast Ventures Inc. (South Coast) on two licences totaling nine claims in the Nugget Pond area.

These claims are located 800 metres northeast along strike from the former Nugget Pond mine and bordered to the east and south by New Island claims.

The Nugget Pond gold deposit contained 537,672 tonnes of ore grading 0.32 ounces per tonne and produced 168,745 ounces of gold from 1997 - 2001. The gold bearing 'Nugget Pond Sedimentary Horizon', host to the Nugget Pond mine, underlies these newly acquired claims and is characterized by IP and magnetic geophysical anomalies, as well as associated anomalous gold in till.

A cross-cutting structure characterized by a magnetic break also cuts the Nugget Pond Horizon in this area.

The Nugget Pond Horizon containing the coincident IP and magnetic anomalies in the area of the cross structure will be tested with an initial two hole diamond-drill program commencing immediately.

Under the terms of the agreement with South Coast, the Company can earn 100% interest in the property by providing: - $20,000 plus 100,000 shares upon execution of the agreement - $15,000 plus 35,000 shares within 12 months - $20,000 plus 65,000 shares within 24 months - $25,000 plus 100,000 shares within 36 months - a commitment to incur at least $100,000 in exploration expitures on the project within 12 months, a total of $150,000 within 24 months and a total of $200,000 within 36 months for a total exploration expiture of $200,000 over 36 months - a commitment to pay South Coast a net smelter return royalty of 2% on any commercial production.

Statements contained in this release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements, which involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties not under the company's control, which may cause actual results, performance or achievements of the company to be materially different from the results, performance or expectations implied by these forward-looking statements.

The TSX Venture Exchange does not accept responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.

NIS back at $0.15, and looks cheap - is it tax selling?

The good technical set-up has been wasted - so far

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

interesting posting in SH (perhaps someone from here???)

The recession in the U.S. this year will be devastating for most stocks, especially stocks on the Vancouver Stock Exchange, but for NIS it will be a stellar year. Besides the opening of the Pine Cove Mine within a month or so, there will be other news releases that will bring NIS shares to new highs. Here are a few tidbits:

1. Within the 1st quarter, NIS is hoping to be trading on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange. Application is now in process.

2. Starting in May, there will be at least 4 drill rigs on Glover Island.

3. Talks are ongoing between Prominex and 3 other other companies about forming a joint Venture in the development of a zinc, copper, lead deposit in central Newfoundland. The 4 deposits are equivalent to that of AUR Resources (now owned by Tech Cominco)in Duck Pond. NIS has 8,000,000 shares of Prominex and and option to purchase another 8,000,000 shares at 13 cents.

Nugget Pond drill results will be released when available....be patient. In 2007, there was $160 million of exploration in Newfoundland as compared to $35 million 2 years ago. Obtaining drill results have slowed down tremendously.

NIS stock will pop soon and for those who will sell prematurely..... will whine again. NIS management now has all their ducks in the row...and I am in for the long haul.

Good luck and have a Happy New Year!

Marbob1

• 3 weeks later...

Mining for opportunities

Minerals Pine Cove project brings jobs to Baie Verte

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=96626&sc=82

BAIE VERTE

PAM SNOW

Transcontinental Media

The province's newest gold mine is expected to open next month within six kilometres of Baie Verte.

The Pine Cove project will bring direct jobs and spinoff benefits to the region, and that's good news for Baie Verte Mayor Gerald Acreman.

"These people, whether they live in Baie Verte or the surrounding area, a lot of them will come into town to shop, so obviously that will have an impact on our business community," Acreman said.

Pine Cove general manager Allan Cramm said most of the site activity so far has involved the process mill. Utility poles have been erected, but the site won't have power until Jan. 31.

"Hopefully we will start to commission the mill in February," Cramm said.

Gold was first discovered at Pine Cove following a geochemical survey in 1988. By 1992, 12,540 metres of drilling had been completed and gold resources of approximately 277,000 ounces had been identified.

"The project started construction at the end of June 2007," said Cramm. "It's been a very extensive project for the area."

Main access roads were upgraded, foundations for the mill floor had to be poured, a storage and fabrication building was built, a haul road from the open pit to the mill was constructed and leach tank agitators installed.

Once the mill building was completed, key processing equipment was put into place, like drum filters, tanks, a conveyor and concentrator. Crushing equipment is also onsite.

More than 75,000 tonnes of waste rock has been blasted from the site since construction began.

"The feasibility study said it was a 12 to 15 year mine," said Cramm.

"We have about 25 people hired during construction - comprising of general contractors and heavy equipment contractors. Once we finalize and have a confirmed startup date, we will then start to hire our own personnel."

He said the mine will employ 40 to 45 people, a combination of company and contract employees.

Acreman said the project will be a real boost for the local economy.

"Baie Verte is a service centre, pretty much, for this area. We have been called 'the hub' of the peninsula, so it will have a very good impact on our local economy as a whole."

the_independent_logo.gif

http://www.theindependent.ca/article.asp?AID=1550&ATID=8

The boom is on now

Print this Article

By Courtesy (St. John's)

The Independent

Friday, October 12, 2007

By Josh Pennell

For The Independent

Offshore oil may be revving Newfoundland and Labrador’s economy, but it’s not the only natural resource under the hood. Riding a global boom, the mining industry is expanding with new mines and substantial investment in exploration.

The province’s newest development, Duck Pond Mine near Buchans, started production earlier this year. A copper-zinc mine owned by Aur Resources Inc., Duck Pond is a good reflection of how the industry is bringing prosperity to struggling rural areas and attracting ex-pats home.

When Michelle Magill, chief chemist at Duck Pond, graduated in the province 13 years ago, there was only one employment option — move. In her case, to northern British Columbia. Recent developments in the province’s mining industry, however, led her return back to central Newfoundland and her family.

Magill’s is a tale not uncommon to Duck Pond Mine. An estimated 95 per cent of the 222 workers employed there are from Newfoundland and Labrador, many of whom have returned home after working for years on the mainland.

Gerry O’Connell, executive director of the Newfoundland and Labrador Chamber of Mineral Resources, says the need for workers is growing.

There are currently 13 active mines within the province — eight on the island and five in Labrador — excavating a variety of minerals from nickel, copper and gold to gypsum, iron ore and even peat. The industry employs more than 3,500 people directly and thousands more in spin-offs.

In fact, from geologists to helicopter pilots, there are more jobs than people to fill them, O’Connell says.

“It’s really, really tight and everybody’s really, really stretched, but everyone is working above and beyond the call of duty, if you like, just to make sure things get done,” he says.

At Duck Pond Mine, the need for more workers is obvious. The mine took on 48 students this past summer, which would have been unheard of when Magill graduated.

Magill is currently training two mineral assayers (workers who test ores and minerals for value and composition) who have never worked in the industry.

“We hired local, we’re training them from scratch,” Magill says. “That’s sort of unheard of. In British Columbia you’d have to have experience and qualifications, but the boom is on now in the mining industry and there aren’t a lot of assayers out there.”

Unlike some industries where benefits seem to flow only into larger sectors, mining lodges itself in rural areas.

The mining industry accounted for six per cent of the province’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2006, double that of 2005. Mineral resources headed out of the province this year are estimated to bring in $3.3 billion, $800 million more than in 2006 and $2.6 billion more than in 2004.

Metal prices are at an historic high, with copper moving at $3.50 or more a pound compared to 75 cents a pound three or four years ago.

The price hike is due to the rising demand for base metals in developing countries.

“China is growing so fast that basically demand has overtaken supply so we’re in a situation of relative shortages and therefore prices have gone up,” O’Connell says. “China shows no signs of slowing down and India is right behind it.”

The last shipment of copper-zinc concentrate that left Duck Pond Mine actually set out on a 46-day trek to China.

Central Newfoundland is hardly the only place experiencing better times. Labrador’s iron ore and nickel mines are generating the bulk of mining revenue flowing into the province, O’Connell says, and providing aboriginals

with job opportunities they never had 10 years ago.

In northeastern Newfoundland, the Baie Verte area too is pulling itself up from economic strife. That region was brought to its knees with the closure of both asbestos and copper mines in recent years. Today, Rambler Metals and Mining is dewatering the old copper mine for a feasibility assessment. The prognosis is looking all the more positive because of the lucrative price of metals today.

An open pit gold mine in Pine Cove may be open by year’s end and Crew Gold (Canada) Ltd. is processing ore brought over from Greenland at its facility near Snook’s Arm. It is the first time a mineral resource has been brought into the province for processing.

Recently, uranium deposits found by prospectors near Baie Verte caught the attention of Bayswater Uranium Corporation. Aurora Energy Resources Inc. has found a large uranium deposit just west of Postville and is currently carrying out a feasibility test.

It’s becoming a province-wide trend: O’Connell says uranium exploration is taking off, with $160 million estimated to be spent on mining exploration alone this year.

• 1 month later...

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=119422&sc=82

Last updated at 8:49 AM on 23/03/08

More gold found at Pine Cove

Industry/Environment Processing ore to begin in April

NADYA BELL

The Telegram

Harold Wareham says they've struck gold at Pine Cove - again.

Wareham, president and CEO of New Island Resources says they have found two new areas of rock rich in gold very close to their open-pit gold mine and processing plant in the Baie Verte peninsula.

The joint venture with Anaconda Mining Inc. should begin processing ore next month, Wareham says. Originally, the project had been scheduled to begin producing gold by the end of last year.

Four exploration drilling holes show two new areas of gold mineralization - rock rich in gold ore -100 metres north of the existing pit, Wareham says.

But they need to do more drilling to tell exactly how much gold is there, he says.

"That's not really enough to prove anything, other than we know that there's gold there. And we know it's a reasonable grade, and certainly warrants potential for increasing the resource of the property," Wareham says.

"Anything that you find of reasonable grade near a mill certainly makes it more economic, rather than have to justify building a mill."

Wareham says he hopes production will start next month. They have already installed the major components for the plant, and the piping and electrical work is nearly complete. He says they have done most of their key hiring for the plant, but are still hiring people to work in production.

Processing rock

New Island Resources estimates that the Pine Cove site has 207,000 ounces of gold, not including the most recent finds. To get at this gold, they'll need to process 2.3 million tonnes of rock. They hope to process 500 tonnes a day at full capacity, for a total of 16,000 ounces in 2008.

New Island calculated the economic feasibility of the project with gold priced at US$400 an ounce. But in recent weeks gold prices have hit all-time highs, climbing to over US$1,000 an ounce for several days last week, and gold is still selling at just over US$900.

"Certainly with the price of gold doubling, it enhances the profitability of the project, and makes it very attractive. Hopefully the price of gold stays there," Wareham says.

Wareham says market indications are that the price of gold will stay in the high range.

The high prices are affecting the entire industry, with more exploration and people considering re-opening old mines, he says.

According to New Island Resources' agreement with their partner Anaconda, all money earned by the mine will go to Anaconda until the capital spending on the project is repaid.

nbell@thetelegram.com

• 3 weeks later...

Price Change % Change

0.215 +0.035 +19.44%

bighj6.gif

GLOVER ISLAND is one of the drivers...

Crew Gold Corp (CRU) agreed to complete a $5,000,000 drilling program over the next 4 years and $1.5 million is to be spent by October 27, 2008. It is believed that the gold potential is far in excess of 1,000,000 oz. and amenable to open pit mining. NIS management can confirm the below summary.

Brief Summary of Glover Island Gold Potential

The Glover Island Property 100% owned by New Island Resources comprises 201 mining claims covering a 16 kilometer zone of 20 gold zones mineralization. Eighty percent (80%) of the drill holes to date have mostly focused on testing only 3 of the 20 known prospects, the Lunch Pond South Extension (LPSE) and Kettle Pond South (KPS) Zones, separated by 1 km. The gold mineralization at these zones is predominantly hosted in felsite sheets up to 35 meters thick and has defined an Inferred Mineral Resource of 4.45 Mt grading over 2.0 g/t Au (over 250,000 oz of gold). These gold mineralized zones are open along strike and may be connected, thereby indicating a potential for significant tonnages over several kilometer, which may be amenable to open pit-mining methods.

The latest drilling continues to define thick, gold mineralized sections grading up to 2.3 g/t from surface, now to a new depth of 200 meters, and also high grade shoots up to 16.39 g/t. The 70 holes drilled to date at selected targets along the 8 km section of the 16 km GI Belt confirm the potential for outlining much higher tonnages of economic grades. Many untested drill targets exist along the GI Belt such as the Tomahawk Zone containing up to 22.7 g/t gold in trenches and quartz veins such as the Discovery Vein with 35 g/t over 3.8 meters.

Extensive testing along the 16 km GI Belt is required to fully evaluate the gold potential on Glover Island.

There is lot to look forward too.

/see: http://www.stockhouse.com/Bullboards/Messa...=NIS&t=LIST

== ==

AND THAT is not all...

"The Company continues to be quite optimistic that its investment in Prominex will yield good results in the near term"

In October 2007, NIS-v participated in Prominex (PXR-v) PP @ 10 cents for a total of 8 million shares + 8 million warrants @ 10 cents. PXR-v volume picking up and traded at 17.5 cents today. Very thinly traded much like NIS-v. Volume could push price up dramatically IMO.

PXR

bigca4.gif

Plus Pine Cove PRODUCTION this month... plus $1.5 million Glover Island exploarion this summer by Crew Gold...

plus Sims Basin uranium exploration?!... plus... plus.

- -

According to MarBob:

"Gold at $1200 per oz will provide NIS with more than $4.5 million per year net cash flow from Pine Cove mine. This along with Glover Island deposit, Prominex , Sims Basin, etc will certainly drive NIS SP into the dollar range."

• 4 weeks later...

Good Close, on decent volume

$0.26 Change: +0.05

Open: 0.205 High: 0.26 Low: 0.205 Volume: 381,650

Percent Change: +23.81%

• 1 month later...

Last updated at 11:48 AM on 18/06/08

Local mines prosper

21st annual mining conference a success

http://www.thenorwester.ca/index.cfm?sid=145129&sc=354

BAIE VERTE

PAM SNOW

The Nor'wester

Good news from the regions mining companies dominated the 21st Annual Mining Conference in Baie Verte which was held over the weekend.

During the paper presentations on Saturday, representatives from Anaconda, Rambler Metals and Mining and Crew Gold presented updates on their operations to about 200 participants in attendance.

Jamie Bounds and Wallace Pinksen of Crew Gold presented 'From Greenland to Gold', which informed those who weren't familiar with their operation on how the Nugget Pond facility operates.

The mine that ships ore to Nugget Pond is located in southwest Greenland about 35 km northeast of Nanortalik.

"The ore is shipped 1,500 kilometers to Goodyear's Cove, which is a three day trip in ideal conditions," said Mr. Bounds. "Since production started fifteen cargo ships have docked and have been unloaded."

A fleet of eight trucks transport 32 tons of ore the 144 kilometers to Nugget Pond for processing. From there the gold bars are made ready for the Royal Canadian Mint.

Rambler Metals and Mining president and CEO George Ogilivie informed everyone that the Rambler Mine located near Ming's Bight on the Baie Verte peninsula was about to enter its pre-feasibility study.

The mine just completed a scoping study and there is an estimated 16 million tonnes of ore principality located in the footwall of the mine.

"The estimated life of the mine is thirteen years," said Mr. Ogilivie. "We were pleased to know that we have an estimated life expectancy of over ten years."

Mr. Ogilivie also said that dewatering at the mine will be complete next month.

"Sometime next month the water will be all gone and we also had our second drill come this month and it is now underground at the mine," said Mr. Ogilivie. "We have overcome many things so far and there are still some challenges ahead, but I'm sure we can overcome them as well."

Another successful milestone for the Baie Verte peninsula is the province's most recent gold mine, Pine Cove. The mine is a project by Anaconda mining and project manager Allan Cramm was on hand to give an update on the operation.

The project took flight on June 28, 2007 with construction equipment on site. The mill foundation was poured by August and the structure was soon filled with tanks and other necessary equipment before being completely enclosed by the end of October.

February 12 of this year the site had power and began commission shortly after.

"It's been a great year and we look forward to years to come," said Mr. Cramm.

Although many of the current successes were the focus of the paper presentations, the Baie Verte mine (Advocate mine) which operated 1963 - 1994 and the old Rambler property which operated from 1964 - 1982, was also a concern for Alex Smith of the Department of Natural Resources.

"Locals have been accessing the property at the Baie Verte mine and taking pieces of equipment, infrastructure and have even attempted to knock over a light pole in which they were only half successful," said Mr. Smith.

"This spring, there were chemicals found around the property. Someone had entered and smashed various chemicals outside. After contacting the company and speaking with them on the various chemicals whose bottles were empty, the nature of one chemical in particular, it was lucky there wasn't a fatality because of the act."

Various issues at both sites include polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB's), fuels and other health and safety issues.

"The number one safety hazard is the deteriorating buildings at both sites," said Mr. Smith. "One collapsed over the winter and the others that remain will be demolished."

The department has put a three year rehabilitation program in place to address these issues at both sites.

"Over the next three years there will be minor demolition at Rambler," said Mr. Smith. "The bunkhouses and other structures on the site will be demolished this year in fact. Disposal of chemicals and radiations at Rambler is also an important step. We believe ext all the PCB's should be removed from that site by next week."

The department will also be testing the air quality over Baie Verte in the coming year.

"We will be doing air quality monitoring because when the asbestos mine was in production in Baie Verte, there was asbestos traces in the air," he said. "So we will be testing the air once again.

"We will also conduct a slope stability assessment on Baie Verte mine to ensure the slope near Highway 410 is in fact safe."

Included in the three year program is the demolition of the crusher, warehouse and tanks at the Baie Verte mine as well.

Mr. Smith also asked for the assistance of the general public in keeping individuals off the dangerous properties.

"If anyone sees suspicious activity around the site, they should contact the RCMP," he said. "Not only because access to the site is restricted, but to ensure no one gets hurt."

Minister of the Department of Natural Resources Kathy Dunderdale spoke of her department's commitment to mining in the province.

"We currently have many operations taking place on the island," she said. "The biggest operation right now being ICO and they employ over 1,500 employees."

Minister Dunderdale said the government will invest 1.5 million towards geographical mapping and have taken new initiatives to keep exploration on the forefront for investors.

"We have 11 geographical mapping programs taking place this year and mineral exploration permits can now be processed online," she said. "There will also be 1.5 million dollars to go towards field activity and this will allow this region and the province to compete with the mineral market on a global scale."

MHA for Springdale - Baie Verte Tom Rideout said he also believes Baie Verte is the hub for mining activity in the province.

"This region has a lot of economic opportunity," he said. "There are a lot of positives in the industry right now and great demand for the mining industry in the province and in the country.

"It's brining a renewed feeling to the region and hopefully it will continue for years to come."

Mining committee chair Lloyd Hayden said overall he believes the mining conference was a great opportunity for many businesses in the area.

"It went really good and the conference was a success again this year," he said. "It was a little bit down in numbers compared to last year, but there still seems that there were a lot of networking between participants, suppliers and the mining companies.

"Everyone seemed to have a really good time and there was a lot of information passed back and forth."

Mr. Hayden said it was great to see three of the major mining companies in the area have such a positive update this year.

"We have the Pine Cove property operating at full speed ahead and the Rambler had their update and they look like they are doing very well as well," said Mr. Hayden. "Along with the College of the North Atlantic looking at hosting courses for the industrial side of the industry. It would be great to see them support the industry by supporting the people and training people for the sector."

Mr. Hayden said he was also pleased that the silent auction went so well.

"The Sam Blagdon trail will be receiving the funds from the silent auction, which was $1,500," he said. "Sam was a good person and a driver of the mining industry in this region, so to do that in his memory at the mining conference was a really good idea and meant a lot."

Department of Natural Resources Minster Kathy Dunderdale gave a brief update of various mines in the province to the crowd on Friday evening.

Archived