Not all skeptical views about gold were unwelcome, Magpie raised some interesting ideas about value and occasionally RB would offer warning about imminent gold price collapse, mentioning his particle accelerator method of gold production, though I am sure that if it ever became possible to create gold out of nothing then the worlds central banks would be calling for a new gold standard.

ROFL :lol::D:lol:

You crease me up.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I am another refugee from HPC - a lurker there for over a year. I returned from living in Russia two years ago and felt in my bones that the standard of living here in the UK bore no relation to the productive work being done. My background is in engineering - with a mid-life change to language as engineering employment was impossible to find. Thanks to the gold thread and links from it, I have steadily improved my understanding of economics - thanks to all who contributed especially Goldfinger. I sold my property last April and invested partly in Gold - physical and Bullionvault.

I am sorry that there seems to be some sort of censorship at HPC and will be spending less time there now that have I found this new niche for the gurus!

Welcome :D

It looks like we are growing rapidly here :lol::lol:

OK, as a celebration of this day, a little montage for you.

I hope you like it.

And a big thank you to DrBubb for having us all here.

GoldUS_080315_1000_celeb.gif

Comrades In Golden Arms (CIGA) - May we travel safely and happily together.

Excellent. :lol:

I see that's a mere hundred milliard marks (= 100 000 million marks, in American 100 billion). Did they ever get up to billions on the note? (would be trillions in American usage.)

Nice rocket top right. And the theme tune is featured, which I guess will be still much needed in the coming year or two. For those unfamiliar with the tune here it is:

I get knocked down, but I get up again - Chumbawumba

(I didn't realise when I was new here that "GEI links" at the top of every page has masses of good stuff, mostly more useful than songs :D .)

i wonder how many others are still on the sidelines- like this poster on HPC:

"Knowing absolutely nothing about investing etc I've stayed away from this whole gold thing. I'm kinda wishing I'd just put some cash in regardless now! infact I'm still considering it although really I'd be so nervous that I'd probably not be able to bring myself to put enough in that would bring enough of a return to make it worth while (plus i'm not exactly loaded anyway).

Still tempting though"

=##

Find Gold where it is-

Find Gold! GOLD & GEM LOCATIONS: TREASURESITES.COM Gold Prospecting! How to find gold in rivers and streams. Diamonds: click "More From This User" to get that "how to" film. This film is about finding gold. Gold diving. Use of the hookah rig to find gold. Gold flakes, nuggets, and platinum nuggets are shown. Gold and platinum are 15-19 times heavier than other streambed materials and concentrate in low pressure areas and cracks that run across rivers and streams. You look for a crack on the bank, and follow it out until you meet the "gold line" and there you suck it out with your dredge

Find Gold where it is-

Find Gold! GOLD & GEM LOCATIONS: TREASURESITES.COM Gold Prospecting! How to find gold in rivers and streams. Diamonds: click "More From This User" to get that "how to" film. This film is about finding gold. Gold diving. Use of the hookah rig to find gold. Gold flakes, nuggets, and platinum nuggets are shown. Gold and platinum are 15-19 times heavier than other streambed materials and concentrate in low pressure areas and cracks that run across rivers and streams. You look for a crack on the bank, and follow it out until you meet the "gold line" and there you suck it out with your dredge

I can see the people who currently fish for trout down here switching to panning for gold !!!

No really. There IS gold in these here hills :lol:

Hmmmm... might watch that vid with interest.

I liked this comment from peter schiff:

"backing paper money with mortgages is nothing new. The French tried it in the late 18th Century, and it lead to hyperinflation. Assignats, which were first issued in 1790 to help finance the French revolution, were backed by mortgages on confiscated church properties. Although the stolen underlying collateral did have some value, the revolutionaries saw no reason to limit how many Assignats were printed, which resulted in massive depreciation. Within three years, price controls were introduced and failure to accept Assignats, initially an offence subject to six years in prison, was made a capital crime. By 1799 the currency was completely worthless.

If even the threat of death could not prop up the Assignat, does anyone believe that the currency could have been saved if Robespierre had forcefully mouthed a “strong Assignat policy” as President Bush is now doing with the dollar? Rather than repeating the mistakes of history we should learn from them. Our own failed experiment with the Continental currency as well as the Great Depression should prove conclusively that it is Austrian, and not French, economics we should be following.

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editoria.../2008/0314.html

Now they've decided to delete the whole post! :lol::D:lol:

Bunch of clowns. Wouldn't surprise me if they are monitoring this thread hourly.

I leave them to their path:

wankingpath.jpg

Have you heard of this place DrBubb? :lol: :lol:

(Not in reference to DrBubb, of course.)

I have heard of it. but never visited

Other HK places, these are MTR stops: (paired with places I'd like to name)

Lai King......... (Truth King)

Sham Shui Po (Genuine Sui Po)

Lai Chi Kok.... (Banana Square)

They are almost next to each other on the Tsuen Wan line

OK, as a celebration of this day, a little montage for you.

I hope you like it.

And a big thank you to DrBubb for having us all here.

GoldUS_080315_1000_celeb.gif

Comrades In Golden Arms (CIGA) - May we travel safely and happily together.

Nice. I will put it on GEI's classic Gold thread

If even the threat of death could not prop up the Assignat, does anyone believe that the currency could have been saved if Robespierre had forcefully mouthed a “strong Assignat policy” as President Bush is now doing with the dollar? Rather than repeating the mistakes of history we should learn from them. Our own failed experiment with the Continental currency as well as the Great Depression should prove conclusively that it is Austrian, and not French, economics we should be following.

Was just looking at the book recently, unfortunately I have not the time and energy for the whole book at the mo. I did read a bit where they upped the penalty to 25 years in irons. Nasty. Still didn't work.

Edited to say: I note if you google "goldfinger gold thread" you now hit the Silver thread on this board. More work is clearly required to make THIS thread the number one gold hit for migrants from HPC.

Hahaa, that might be thanks to Steve, backing me up. When I tried to google "goldfinger gold thread" a few days ago it didn't work. However, I did find that if you google a certain phrase it went to that page. But even under that phrase google shortly adjusted to alternative pages here.

If you don't believe me Google gold thread. wren.

Okay peeps, I have to say while I am walking around the financial district in lower Manhattan I keep looking up above checking to see if any jumpers will squish me like a bug, but so far so good, so I am able to keep posting. It seem business week already smell fresh blood after bear sterns has been mortally wounded today.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8VDEKL00.htm

But Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. appears to be an investment bank that investors are very worried about right now -- mainly because it is the investment bank that is most similar to Bear in structure and exposure. Its stock dropped more than 14 percent on Friday. Banks gave Lehman a vote of confidence of sorts, however, on Friday -- Lehman Brothers said its new credit facility was "substantially oversubscribed," and that some of world's largest banks participated.

Grim Reaper is coming to wall street...

grim-reaper-aids-in-japan.jpg

I liked this comment from peter schiff:

"backing paper money with mortgages is nothing new. The French tried it in the late 18th Century, and it lead to hyperinflation. Assignats, which were first issued in 1790 to help finance the French revolution, were backed by mortgages on confiscated church properties. Although the stolen underlying collateral did have some value, the revolutionaries saw no reason to limit how many Assignats were printed, which resulted in massive depreciation. Within three years, price controls were introduced and failure to accept Assignats, initially an offence subject to six years in prison, was made a capital crime. By 1799 the currency was completely worthless.

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editoria.../2008/0314.html

Here's the book in PDF at the Von Mises institute, its quite short, takes about an hour to read and is well worth the effort. It gives you an understanding of how society and governments treat people who keep their assets abroad or hold gold in a hyper inflationary environment also how business grinds to a halt rather than accepting worthless paper money. When I read first read it I was reminded of the situation in Zimbabwe and how the government seized farms after the owners stopped producing crops for depreciating currency.

http://www.mises.org/books/inflationinfrance.pdf

gold thread wren

Makes me wonder...

What are the best search terms? I can put them into GEI's keywords

"Gold thread" "Gold chat" ...? what else?

The quality of thread on HPC.co.uk is as good as ever I see. :lol:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=70788

This PO:

If there is a full-blown deflationary spiral - how do you best hold cash (without a counterpart owing you your money back)?

(Is anything real cash apart from holdalls full of bank notes.)

I my innocence I answer:

I don't really understand your worry. You just need to keep the notes in a relatively secure, sealed, dry environment.

Also don't read the financial and economic history of deflation, if you don't want to be surprised. wren

:lol:

Makes me wonder...

What are the best search terms? I can put them into GEI's keywords

"Gold thread" "Gold chat" ...? what else?

dollar collapse, dollar crash, dollar devaluation, bank run, banking crisis. The masses will know the problem, but not how they can protect themselves, so they wont necessary know to search gold. That is how HPC gets a lot of hits.

Lifted from another forum. I think he has a point about the 80s and 90s being saved by Tech.

I've been racking my limited mental capacity to determine if this is a replay of the 1920s, 1970s, both, or neither. There are similarities of the '00s to both those decades - more than differences particularly if you compare with the 1970s. The Bretton Woods act expiry, combined with government attempts to uphold employment and liquidity, left us in a hyperinflationary situation in the 1970s. Gold spiked finally and explosively when Soviets invaded Afghanistan. We could have the same situation now with the same sort of militarily-inspired peak.

Now the choice Ben faces is hyperinflation vs. depression. In the 1920s we had a Fed that failed to uphold liquidity and caused depression. In the 1980s we had Paul Volcker who ruthlessly raised lending rates to break inflation and that could have caused a depression. WWII got us out of the depression - not Roosevelt's policies that probably prolonged it. We probably avoided a depression in the 1980s through luck and the invention of new technologies by U.S. enterprise, and some other U.S. industry-specific factors, combined with injections of liquidity from the government...

But that was overdone. SO here we are again. Hyperinflation likely, and when that becomes unbearable we may have Volcker again - literally. Obama was indorsed by Volcker who served under both Carter and Reagan. We could have, almost verbatim, a replay of the 1970s and 80s. Perhaps even to the point of a military-inspired cusp.

Trouble is what next? The commodities depression of 1980-2000 should have been another complete depression, and would have been (I think) had it not been for the luck of the computer revolution and superimposed biotechnology / science advances. This time the hyperinflationary cycle may be followed by a depressionary phase that is interminable UNLESS we have something new and tantamount to the computer revolution, OR we have another global conflagration that allows the US to destroy the governmental and industrial infrastructure of our competitors / opponents.

Perhaps this is my peculiar view of Armageddon but it is one set of alternative futures that bear contemplation when one extrapolates from recent history, using historical precedents as guiding principles.

( i posted this useful info on the hpc thread ):

Let's WATCH GLD (the Gold etf)...

aa2pf7.gif

and see what the Volume looks like

The Volume WAS STRONG on the break above $1,000 / GLD-$98.73

aa3rd5.gif

gold thread wren

GoogleWren1.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pluto points out that we are in the midst of global financial disaster. :o

And yet I LOL. :lol: Cheers. We tried.

Ana Vidovic is a talented classical guitarist (Slavic from the name, I don't know the nationality). But here she plays Asturias on YouTube:

(The MOST IRONIC POST ever, from a GHPC thread ):

QUOTE (Time to raise the rents. @ Mar 15 2008, 12:20 AM)

Ah yes, the luxury of having been right means time and money to do as one pleases.

On the other hand, the pain of having been wrong means endless toil to repay ones mistakes. I personally don't know how you bears find the time to post so relentlessly, like the undead - standing firm at all costs. Oh yes, it's because half the time is stolen from your employers......

UNQUOTE

LOL

This could be one of the most ironic posts ever- on this -the most ironic thread for it:

TITLE : "Now gold is hit hard : Don't panic DrBubb..."

- And the above TTRTR items was posted just as Gold surpassed $1,000 !!

Very well done, TTTTK!! (Time To Toss The Keys)

You are "fiddling while Rome burns'. Better get out and sell those massively

overvalued properties before they slide even further towards their real values