I worry, that Gold's long recent record of being a good store of wealth

may soon take another "hit" like it did in 2008.

The times we live in are not friendly to Buy & Hold, and maybe not even in the Gold sector

I guess its a fifty fity bet, all I can say is 8 months ago I had very little gold as a percentage of my liquid assets. Now it is 50%, living in the uk and I am more easy at night with the GOLD 50%

than sterling 50%,both are stored at the same bank.

I was hoping for 151/to the dollar back at 143 in May to convert into USD, the other 50% , not looking good today but who knows?

I like RH, am eventually looking to exchange all of the above into a smallholding the only difference being in the Uk, it is a gamble if it pays off great, if not so what.

I could buy a smallholding in Northern France now probably, but that’s not were I want to be.

Re gold topping out I can't see it, we have had 34 years of massive inflation in the west, ie a house personal to me, in 1974 sold for 4k =400k now on the market today by it's present owners with only cosmetic upgrades, gold hasn't kept pace but I expect to see it catch up soon.

CB'S, increasing their share of gold is a sign of momentum in the right direction I would say, intelligent fluid people like yourself can move in and out of the gold market, dummies like me are better staying put.

Spain CB throwing fiat at ever decreasing property values is where the uk will be soon, I untill recently thought uk interest rates would have to rise for this to happen, but now I AM NOT SO SURE?

Lets see what George has to say today. When uk peoples piggy banks stop paying out (ever increasing house values and re-mortgaging)and debt becomes real perhaps people will run to the other end of the scale for security, the security will be gold and silver as every other asset class tumbles IMHO ?

Regards

ML.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

It depends if you buy and hold physical or paper gold, the later have been warned many times here.

The times we live in are not friendly to Buy & Hold, and maybe not even in the Gold sector

Before I transferred funds to BV some years ago, I did enough research into the company to satisfy myself that it was a sound proposition with honourable people in control. Edit: Now that there is a new element involved, it would require me to do similar time consuming research - I prefer not to do so.

This letter, no doubt sent to many who expressed concern, indicates where the fears (& loathing?) of BV's clients lie? - Note the second para. opening :)

Dear Mrs xxxxxx,

Thank you for your email. Please be assured - the news announced yesterday doesn't affect in any way your outright ownership of gold and silver, other than to signal the next stage in broadening and deepening our markets online. There is no change whatsoever in our Terms & Conditions, and your ownership of physical bullion remains absolute.

Rothschild Investment Trust (which is not connected with the N.M.Rothschild Bank) is listed as a publicly tradable share in London, part of the FTSE250 index. It is simply a client of Augmentum Capital, which in turn now holds a minority interest in BullionVault. Paul Tustain retains the major shareholding, plus outright control of the business as Chief Executive. Besides Augmentum Capital, there are 49 other minority shareholders, now including the World Gold Council.

Augmentum focuses on investing in dynamic, growth businesses that are break-even or profitable in the e-commerce and technology sectors. Our "disruptive technology" -- which as you know, shakes up the costs and liquidity which private individuals can access in gold and silver dealing -- has been profitable since 18 months from launch. In full-year 2009, our pre-tax profits doubled to £3.45m on turnover of £277m. Between them, the WGC and Augmentum have invested £12.5m into the business.

Yes, Augmentum's managing partner, Tim Levene, is joining our Board, along with the WGC's managing director for investment in London, Marcus Grubb. But the expertise that Tim's sharing with BullionVault is in internet marketing, not bullion dealing. He was the founding employee in London of Flutter.com, the betting exchange which merged in 2001 with Betfair.com, where he became Commercial Director. Like BullionVault, Betfair has received a Queen's Award for Business, and is the only company to have won the CBI Business of the Year twice. Tim led Betfair's highly successful internationalisation into Asia and Europe.

As for the World Gold Council, we couldn't ask for a more valuable, high profile, or credible investor. The WGC represents pretty much the entire gold-mining industry, with a simple mandate to promote physical gold to institutions, investors and consumers worldwide. No other potential shareholder (and there have been several big-league suitors) could bring to BullionVault anything like the marketing or industry clout wielded by the Council. Indeed, we turned away a larger deal to work with the WGC, because it brings an on-the-ground network of marketing offices, plus strong media presence and reputation worldwide. Together with Augmentum's e-commerce expertise, we really couldn't wish for better input on the Board.

Kind regards,

Adrian

--

Adrian Ash

Head of Research

BullionVault.com

In that context you make good sense. I try and catch moves like that in the juniors too.

The truth is, I really dont care, since the Gold sale was part of a "contextual trading strategy" which has already served its purpose.

================ (the following was posted on the Strategic Downsizing thread) :

Using "Contextual Trading" and GOLD trades to reduce property costs

1/

I was lucky.

I happened to be in the offices of HSBC in the afternoon (HK time) while Gold was still up. I saw a price that I liked, and I pulled the trigger.

The larger story is this:

+ We bought a property for HK$1.86 Million in early 2007 - It was the first one (of 10) that we bought.

+ We bought a total of 10 properties in 2007-8, and over the last year have been selling them off, one-by-one, as prices rise,

+ Each one has been sold off at a profit. Some profits were tiny (only HK$7,000 after cost was the smallest), and some were big,

+ All those sales left us with plenty of cash

+ In February, we had enough cash to pay off the remain loan of HK$1.05 million on property #1,

+ Gold was cheap when I was contemplating this, so instead of paying off, I bought 1,050 MACE of Gold at about HK$1,000-1,100 each,

I have now sold off enough MACE to pay off the loan, with the latest sale at over HK$1,160 per MACE, so that's a profit of about 15%. And I have decided to retain the profit as a holding of 200 MACE, and reduce the loan balance by HK$1 million, to only HK$50,000.

In effect, we have made an "extra profit" of almost HK$180,000 through this gold maneuver. I can think of it as reducing our cost

the property by about 10%.

I like this type of "Context Trading", where my trades are made in relation to a specific asset, and this way I can think of each trade, as part of a program to reduce our cost base, or to upgrade our standard of living. The context, helps me t0 avoid being too greedy, but also to make trades on scale which can be meaningful.

As another example:

+ We are thinking about selling the flat we live in, if we can acheive our "high" asking price,

+ We like where we live, so I don't want to do this, unless we can somehow think of it as a step to improve our living arrangement

+ We have found a flat that we like, which is in a different neighborhood, but is a nice modern building with some luxury touches

+ The flat is larger than the one we live in now: over 1,000 sf, versus 750 sf, but the rental value is on par with where we live now

+ If we sell, I would cash a nice fat profit, and my partner and I would then enjoy "upgrading" the larger rental flat

+ Later, if/when the property market falls, we would buy again - this time larger than 750sf, but at a lower price psf than we sold

+ If prices do not fall in HK, we would consider moving somewhere (KL, Singapore, Philippines, NZ, Japan, Spain, the US?) where we can get more for our money, and have a nice "adventure" for a few years

tael.png

2/

The truth is, I really dont care, since the Gold sale was part of a "contextual trading strategy" which has already served its purpose.

THE OVERALL IDEA here is to always operate from "a position of strength", and only make major moves when they improve your strategic position.

I am trying to develop some better Wealth Measurement tools, which will help people to see when they are enhancing their position.

This letter, no doubt sent to many who expressed concern, indicates where the fears (& loathing?) of BV's clients lie? - Note the second para. opening :)

Laura, everyone has to be responsible for themselves. We all have different models of the world - based on what we have been exposed to in life. A week ago, I was reasonably happy with the risk of owning gold at BV, now I am not.

I know many on this board own gold at BV and do not want to be spooked in any way - well, it is up to every individual to do their own research and draw their own conclusions on whether the recent developments change the risk.

Re gold topping out I can't see it, we have had 34 years of massive inflation in the west, ie a house personal to me, in 1974 sold for 4k =400k now on the market today by it's present owners with only cosmetic upgrades, gold hasn't kept pace but I expect to see it catch up soon.

I think in 1974 gold reached 50 pounds the first time. Had it developed like your house example, it would be 5,000 pounds right now.

A realistic price target, I suppose.

EDITed to change into GBP.

Laura, everyone has to be responsible for themselves. We all have different models of the world - based on what we have been exposed to in life. A week ago, I was reasonably happy with the risk of owning gold at BV, now I am not.

I know many on this board own gold at BV and do not want to be spooked in any way - well, it is up to every individual to do their own research and draw their own conclusions on whether the recent developments change the risk.

me too

Sorry, I didn't mean my remarks to sound as though I'm pro the BV move. I haven't a clue either way.

I just posted their 'we do it all for you' email reply to me, that's all.

The real culprit behind yesterday’s selloff is the poverty mentality of Gold longs. Gold bulls suffered through slow climbs backed with calamitous selloffs for years. The 13 year bear market in gold has scarred many people into thinking that the yellow metal cannot hold onto its rallies. Comex open interest hit all time highs yesterday, that must be bearish! Thus, the prophecy fulfills itself. “Gold is up how much? Better take our profits, we got lucky” is what hedge fund managers say whenever gold makes them any money whatsoever. This is where the expression A Bull market climbs a wall of worry comes from. So puke all you want ye of little faith, we’ll be there buying all the way down to zero!!

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/morning-g...ix-june-22-2010

That's possibly what it is: just a name.

From another forum

http://www.bullionbullscanada.com/?option=...style=f-smaller

Augmentum Capital has only one client - Jacob Rothschild.

The WGC is the front for GLD and deeply involved in paper gold?

Do you think a Rothschild would be interested in merely taking a part-share of Bullionvault's meagre commission - or is it their $800,000,000 in physical gold that's drawn him?

I've got a substantial holding in BV - I had considered them one of the safer custodians. Not any more - when the wheels come off, they'll go dark and the gold will be gone. Not a lot of point in sueing a Rothschild front company for "your" gold?

Would you entrust your gold to anyone with those partners? Just goes to show how tight physical is getting when those with only 20 tons get taken over.

Where's the best place to buy a bulk order of British Sovereigns?

From another forum

http://www.bullionbullscanada.com/?option=...style=f-smaller

Augmentum Capital has only one client - Jacob Rothschild.

The WGC is the front for GLD and deeply involved in paper gold?

Do you think a Rothschild would be interested in merely taking a part-share of Bullionvault's meagre commission - or is it their $800,000,000 in physical gold that's drawn him?

I've got a substantial holding in BV - I had considered them one of the safer custodians. Not any more - when the wheels come off, they'll go dark and the gold will be gone. Not a lot of point in sueing a Rothschild front company for "your" gold?

Would you entrust your gold to anyone with those partners? Just goes to show how tight physical is getting when those with only 20 tons get taken over.

Where's the best place to buy a bulk order of British Sovereigns?

yep

im moving

Jesus! Don't we love being manipulated. To get out & shift elsewhere, two lots of mug transaction costs, never mind price shifts :angry:

http://www.goldspark.info/blogs/BullionVault.html

That’s it for me. I’m finished promoting BullionVault for use by Cryptogon readers. I know that many of you have substantial holdings with BullionVault. In fact, Cryptogon readers have deposited just over US$2 million with BullionVault. It’s not that I see any imminent threat to your holdings from this, but it simply doesn’t pass my smell test.

“Lord” Jacob Rothschild doesn’t have my best interests in mind. And if you’re reading this site, he probably doesn’t have your best interests in mind either. (These are polite understatements.)

I’m not suggesting that you should stay with BullionVault, or not stay with BullionVault. What I’m stating, clearly and for the record, is that I’m no longer going to promote BullionVault for use by Cryptogon readers.

http://fofoa.blogspot.com/

FOFOA is a fantastic blog. Thanks to Steve Netwriter.

Stefan, is an American home on an eighth of a desert acre really worth 200 men's suits? Is an Ivy League education in Investment Banking really worth 2,000 barrels of crude oil? Who knows? We have been living in a fantasy of government-sponsored malinvestment and soft money financial engineering for more than six decades. How will we ever know what things are really worth before it all collapses?

I am not as smart as the Superorganism that makes up the marketplace. No one is. So how much "stored purchasing power" exists in the world today? It is an impossible question to answer, yes? But let's try thinking about it for a moment anyway.

From Dan Norcini on jsmineset.com:

In one of the more marvelous market displays I have seen in many years, gold was able to shrug off a major technical reversal sign and actually attract enough buying to not only minimize downside movement but actually bounce higher

I still cannot get over the amazing resiliency being displayed by gold today. This is definitely not the same gold market as back in 2008.

http://jsmineset.com/

What you really mean is it will depend on how many of their clients are bigots.

nope

i think that a lot of people dont want anything to do with that banking dynasty - control the money supply control the world etc

although maybe i will start a few religions that prevent followers from charging interest - that might give people who are not brainwashed a head start on everyone else

Before I transferred funds to BV some years ago, I did enough research into the company to satisfy myself that it was a sound proposition with honourable people in control. Edit: Now that there is a new element involved, it would require me to do similar time consuming research - I prefer not to do so.

:lol: how much more research do you need to do to figure out the Rothschilds are evil sh1ts!

people who buy and hold gold shouldn't worry about a repeat of 2008.

after all, in the year 2008 gold closed 3.4% higher in dollars and 44% higher in pounds.

I wonder how many sleepless nights Paul Tustain will have become some people refuse to keep their accounts with a company that has Jewish shareholders. My guess is none.

how many of the people withdrawing funds from BV due to Rothschild involvement are doing so because of the Rothschild's (alleged) religion.

my guess is none.

the family is (rightly or wrongly) notorious for shafting people - and people don't want to get shafted. it's that simple.

QUOTE (Schaublin @ Jun 21 2010, 06:54 PM) *

:lol: how much more research do you need to do to figure out the Rothschilds are evil sh1ts!

people who buy and hold gold shouldn't worry about a repeat of 2008.

after all, in the year 2008 gold closed 3.4% higher in dollars and 44% higher in pounds.

how many of the people withdrawing funds from BV due to Rothschild involvement are doing so because of the Rothschild's (alleged) religion.

my guess is none.

Yes, - I meant to say that I have already done my research on the new shareholders and urge others to do the same.