SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started to nibble on Friday. I will watch the dollar index carefully before continuing to buy. Who knows we might see a good bounce next week... but I half suspect we are going lower.

My insurance policy is my S&P puts (purchased dec/jan) - If they pay out big, I'll be able to get more. However I suspect I'll lose my dosh with the options!

I will hope you are right since i just bought a house a month ago and already i am wondering what i have done with such terrible deflationary recessionary news all around.

The house could of course have been a mistake anyway from an investment perspective - at least if you ask Bubb or me. But house purchases depend on more than just investment thoughts, and the leverage banks allow you in property is of course insanely higher than anywhere else, so if inflation is strong enough, one might still make more money there than unlevered in, say, precious metals.

Has anyone used the following site. It has some interesting coins and bars

http://www.silvercoinsbullion.co.uk/index.php

Coins turned up 3 days after ordering in the post. They are in small plastic bags rather than cases. Other than that they are fine. SCB looks like it is run by the sister / wife / daughter / partner of Paul at Sarnia Silver.

Has anyone used the following site. It has some interesting coins and bars

http://www.silvercoinsbullion.co.uk/index.php

I'd like to start buying physical silver, but the VAT has so far put me off - interesting to see how this site deals with it ("All items packaged and posted individually and under the value of £18 are VAT free under the UK VAT rules.")

I've not seen this before - is it something that some of you larger investors would be comfortable doing? (besides having dozens of envelopes of single coins arriving in the mail...!)

I'd like to start buying physical silver, but the VAT has so far put me off - interesting to see how this site deals with it ("All items packaged and posted individually and under the value of £18 are VAT free under the UK VAT rules.")

I've not seen this before - is it something that some of you larger investors would be comfortable doing? (besides having dozens of envelopes of single coins arriving in the mail...!)

Yes, Sarnia Silver do it too. I haven't lost a parcel yet personally- Paul numbers each one so you know if any are missing which one has gone astray.. i.e. "come in number 15, your time is up!". I think it is a great way to avoid giving the Govt. the tax, but sadly just now they seem expensive - even compared to CID with VAT added! (physical / paper disconnect?)

http://www.sarniasilver.com/

My only concern is that if one did go missing, I would not want a postie/thief to know my address (and that i had a taste for SAEs).

Silver starting to slide, and the dollar is dawdling here.

how low do you reckon we can go this time in gbp? i have a reasonable amount set aside for when i select reverse in my light work vehicle. Been anticipating a pull back for some time, hopefully palladium will get hit also, could do with some more of that.

Interesting, with this action of late there are buyers even for paper silver.

iShares Silver Trust holdings up 0.5 pct

08 Feb 2010 - 23:09

TOKYO, Feb 9 (Reuters) - The world's largest silver-backed exchange-traded fund, the iShares Silver Trust , said its silver holdings stood at 9,397.56 tonnes as of Feb. 8, up 0.5 percent or 45.79 tonnes from the previous business day.

The holdings of the New York-based trust, which issues securities backed by physical stocks of silver, hit a record high of 9,514.35 tonnes on Dec. 22.

Those COMEX registered stocks must be going dowwwwwwwwn!

COMEX REGISTERED SILVER 47,378,810

COMEX REGISTERED GOLD 1,622,121

What he said about consuming 1/10 didn't seem to make sense.

One of the comments tries to clarify:

The info he gives about consuming 1/10 of the world's suppply is wrong, we consume 1/20 of known reserves but you would be foolish to think they will not increase that number, not including recycleable supply.

LOL silver will not be going to $100 on industrial demand anytime soon, it will have to be monetary demand that takes it that high, at least in this decade.

The problem for silver [not so for gold] is that demand for silver could be neutralized by an even greater demand for money. When markets liquidate, and investors chase money, silver will be caught up with it. The hyper-inflationary world view is utterly misleading. Actual money, as opposed to credit and debt [anti-money] could turn out to be very scarce. CNBC endlessly play an ad where "CBs are printing money"... the poor investor is standing there nearly drowning in money. This could not be further from the truth and investors are being suckered into spending/investing in order to support markets and asset prices.

I think that this is the greatest of all complacencies out there, the belief that no harm can happen to a major currency. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Well, I part agree with you GF. For investors, a currency devaluation would be massively damaging... but then the deflation in asset prices might off-set this [at a national level]. But then maybe by that time they would have stampeded out of assets. I think this is how a lot of "wealth" will be destroyed. What a mess eh!

For consumers, without huge savings it might be different. The scarcity of [existing] money [not credit] will make money more valuable for them, and could even put downward pressure on prices even as there is upward pressure on prices due to a depreciated currency. Conceivably the two could cancel eachother out. I think the most likely outcome will be a lowered standard of living as people become more frugal and stuff becomes more expensive.

I guess it comes down to how you define "hyper"-inflation. A depreciation of a currency is quite a different thing from the destruction of a currency.

I've swapped all GoldMoney silver for US dollars [not my gold though]. Will fund a brokerage account with dollars and look to buy SLW... only if we see another market crash first of course.

imo gold is to accumulate, silver to speculate.... and there are better speculations about. Silver could just end up going up and down against the dollar as they both strengthen in the aggregate against other currencies.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=9211

I've swapped all GoldMoney silver for US dollars [not my gold though]. Will fund a brokerage account with dollars and look to buy SLW... only if we see another market crash first of course.

imo gold is to accumulate, silver to speculate.... and there are better speculations about. Silver could just end up going up and down against the dollar as they both strengthen in the aggregate against other currencies.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=9211

hmm.. it's a bit late now, but what if silver is remonetised? Comex defaults? I would have kept some (do you have physical elsewhere?). In fact for those reasons, I can't imagine ever entirely getting rid of all my silver!

Honestly I wish you the best.

hmm.. it's a bit late now, but what if silver is remonetised? Comex defaults? I would have kept some (do you have physical elsewhere?). In fact for those reasons, I can't imagine ever entirely getting rid of all my silver!

Honestly I wish you the best.

Cheers. I some physical bars back home. I'm also looking to buy silver at some point on a crash a la Hoye.... I am funding BV for this [uS dollars is the currency to have if you want to benefit from delevaging]. I'm also hoping to buy SLW on a crash... these would be trades, as I think silver will bounce back strongly to the upside.

The GM silver I sold was a "buy and hold" investment [quite a large position percentage wise], but I think gold is the better metal to buy and hold. I thought it was about time I adhered more strictly to my macro principles, so now look only to accumulate gold, while trading silver and dollars on the large macro moves..

I think that this is the greatest of all complacencies out there, the belief that no harm can happen to a major currency. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Many people are still mesmerised by paper money.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Doktor Mesmer says you can trust the dollar.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:lol:

(The $ symbol comes originally from silver, of course.)

(The $ symbol comes originally from silver, of course.)

Hmm, never thought about that.

Anyway, silver getting cheap again. Shorter term gold is in it's 40% (=100%-60%) most expensive days when compared with silver. Longer term, it's 17% (=100%-83%)!!

Gold-Silver-Ratio_Q.png

Gold-Silver-Ratio_Q.png

Silver looking pretty good today. There must be some pretty heavy short covering going on.

It's underperformed badly in the last month but hopefully this won't last.

The strength in Gold & Silver despite the USD bounce bodes well for long term prospects.