Gold vs. Stocks ... and Gold shares

drbubb

IN THE PAST YEAR, moves down in the SPX have preceeded moves down in Gold ... update

00agx7.gif

IT MAY be different going forward, as today's action is suggesting.

As i post this, i see:

SPX : 1,429.28 -20.09 : -1.39%

GLD : $ 67.98 , -0.12 : -0.18% ... and spot gold is now up on the day !

That seems to suggest a very different pathway from here.

But one day doesnt make a trend. If the SPX drop goes beyond a week or so,

it normally drags Gold (GLD) down also.

10 day chart: GLD vs. SPX ... update

bigea3.gif

NO SIGN of gold following stocks down yet !

In fact, the initial drop has been followed by a smart rally in Gold-

Meanwhile SPX continues to slip lower.

BUT WAIT a week or more before concluded this will be a new story.

Just let us know if you do any more buying of selling mate... :P

Its crap aint it :blink: I thought the evil mojo had gone, but no, it was just sat there waiting to pounce. $685 - $658 in a few days. Always happens to me and im starting to take it personally :lol:

Gold appears to have dropped precipitously into NY trading today.

You ought to get your evil mojo to be your investment advisor, Chuz.

Don't forget that Dr Doom reckons that there's a deflationary scare going on, and then it's up up and away.

Ive got a good handful of shinny coins, so im not devoid of gold, i just think my cash can do better somewhere else at the moment :P

Don't forget that Dr Doom reckons that there's a deflationary scare going on, and then it's up up and away.

Some scare. Mortgage meltdown continues unabated with apparently even an A-rated tranche of MBS in technical default. GS/ML/MS all trading just above junk status.

Sounds like the credit crunch is well and truly on.

Some scare. Mortgage meltdown continues unabated with apparently even an A-rated tranche of MBS in technical default. GS/ML/MS all trading just above junk status.

Sounds like the credit crunch is well and truly on.

Oh. I see.

Anyway, as I speak, we're down to $645 in another cliff-face.

* edit: I'm just joking here, I mean Arrrrgggh!!!! :P

Well I can honestly say I've made nothing out of this gold business so far.

The past six months have been a bit of a mare of a time, but then I only really subscribe to the 'gold as insurance' idea, I don't expect to ever be rich. :P

At the moment, I'm buying in in very small amounts, catching the dips, which is something nobody likes to do. Why am I buying this if it's just fallen off a cliff?

Well I can honestly say I've made nothing out of this gold business so far.

The past six months have been a bit of a mare of a time, but then I only really subscribe to the 'gold as insurance' idea, I don't expect to ever be rich. :)

At the moment, I'm buying in in very small amounts, catching the dips, which is something nobody likes to do. Why am I buying this if it's just fallen off a cliff?

:P theres a dip for you $640, ive not seen a pull back quite as severe as this before.

I must admit gold trades have probably put me more negative than even rampant inflation, im going to stick to coins, it kinda stradles both markets, coin collecting and gold, plus theres something nice with actually having the pieces to play with.

I still dont know why gold is taking so much of a beating though.

I must admit gold trades have probably put me more negative than even rampant inflation, im going to stick to coins, it kinda stradles both markets, coin collecting and gold, plus theres something nice with actually having the pieces to play with.

I like numismatics as well. During previous gold bull markets a typical coin (say MS63 $20 St. Guadens) has appreciated at least 300%. So far, in this bull run average appreciation is about 17%. So worth a punt.

If you believe Dr. Doom about eventual confiscation of gold then numismatics become even more attractive.

Silver numismatics look good as well. Late 19th century British crowns have almost a troy ounce of silver (28.35g imperial ounce) and I've seen them change hand for as little as $11. That's just a fraction below melt value but they should have some numismatic value as well.

I like numismatics as well. During previous gold bull markets a typical coin (say MS63 $20 St. Guadens) has appreciated at least 300%. So far, in this bull run average appreciation is about 17%. So worth a punt.

If you believe Dr. Doom about eventual confiscation of gold then numismatics become even more attractive.

Silver numismatics look good as well. Late 19th century British crowns have almost a troy ounce of silver (28.35g imperial ounce) and I've seen them change hand for as little as $11. That's just a fraction below melt value but they should have some numismatic value as well.

I tend to concentrate on british coins, britannia's and sovereigns purely because they are cgt exempt and are nicely crafted coins. At the moment i only have gold proof coins, but ive silver bullion britannia's and other countries silver bullion. Got a whole stack of buffalo bars which seem highly liquid. It actually good fun collecting them, and if they drop in value im not really fussed. Its a lot differnt than a allocated bullion account or shares/index tracker. Coins all the way for me now.

I tend to concentrate on british coins, britannia's and sovereigns purely because they are cgt exempt and are nicely crafted coins. At the moment i only have gold proof coins, but ive silver bullion britannia's and other countries silver bullion. Got a whole stack of buffalo bars which seem highly liquid. It actually good fun collecting them, and if they drop in value im not really fussed. Its a lot differnt than a allocated bullion account or shares/index tracker. Coins all the way for me now.

Sure is nice to have physical coins. Definitely my preference when it comes to purchasing gold. With silver I go with offshore bullion to avoid VAT. On the CGT side, unfortunately no possibility of CGT exemption for sovereigns over here so have to bite the bullet on that one.

Archived