I wouldn't personally, I think USD is completely unpredictable moving forward from here. Read CGNAO's latest post and see if that changes your mind... :)

I'm not planning on buying any gold at the moment as I'm uncertain about buying pre-doldrums. But I am thinking of loading up my Goldmoney account and swapping the £ to USD (0.5% fee) pre-election.

I think gold will be lower in USD terms later this summer. I also think the £ is unrealistically strong against the dollar pre-election.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I wouldn't personally, I think USD is completely unpredictable moving forward from here. Read CGNAO's latest post and see if that changes your mind... :)

You may well be right warpig. I see a "failed smackdown pattern" in NY time today, which suggests to me, from past observation, of a bullish period ahead.

I'm not planning on buying any gold at the moment as I'm uncertain about buying pre-doldrums. But I am thinking of loading up my Goldmoney account and swapping the £ to USD (0.5% fee) pre-election.

I think gold will be lower in USD terms later this summer. I also think the £ is unrealistically strong against the dollar pre-election.

Gold is staying strong here. If it doesn't dip, it will probably just track side-ways hitting the "thin blue line" later this year.

I'm be "averaging in" to both dollars and gold over the course of this year. If you do buy gold a little high, as the expression goes, "the bull market will rescue you".

With my dollar reserve [a hedge against a possible Prechterite collapse, where I would then buy gold], I'll continue trading silver when it goes low. I hang up my gold bull hat for this, and wear the dollar bull one. It's starting to get a little worn, but should last for another year or so. :rolleyes:

gldsss.gif

I think there will be a strong move in dollar price of gold soon.

Not far behind the Euro then :)

I'm becoming wealthier by the minute .......... in a paper (delusional) kinda way as Europe starts imploding.

Gold spiked up 20 USD - what's that about?

You may have noticed Greece has had to activate it's low-interest loan facility from the EU/IMF.

Euro up, dollar down, gold up.

This is the weird Greek yield curve as it was; note the 1yr yield quite low (thanks to loans/anticipation of them)...

GreekCurve422_0.jpg

You may have noticed Greece has had to activate it's low-interest loan facility from the EU/IMF.

Euro up, dollar down, gold up.

This is the weird Greek yield curve as it was; note the 1yr yield quite low (thanks to loans/anticipation of them)...

GreekCurve422_0.jpg

Thanks - I am just surprised that:

It was so rapid.

That it had not been factored in already.

Have never understood the short-term volatility - which is why I would never attempt to trade.

Blood, sweat and luxuries, bbc3 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s5..._Luxuries_Gems/

Six young British consumers swap their luxury lives for the simple mud huts and shanty towns of Africa and Asia to work alongside the people who mine, manufacture, process and recycle luxury goods.

In Britain today, what were once luxuries are fast becoming everyday items. From electrical gadgets to leather handbags and shoes, as more and more is consumed, products are increasingly disposable. Would consumers care more if they knew the human cost of making luxuries?

The Brits head to the isolated mining town of Ilakaka in Madagascar to discover where the gems and jewellery sold on the British high street come from. In the vast open-pit mines they join hundreds of workers in chain gangs digging for one of the most sought-after gems in the world - sapphires. When the back-breaking work becomes too much for James, Alexandria and Lucy they're shocked to discover the alternative - a makeshift 50-foot-deep mine shaft accessed by rope and pulley.

Soon it's not just the extreme working conditions and hand-to-mouth existence of the locals that shock the Brits, but the value of the rough stones compared to the expensive shiny jewellery for sale in Western shops. Will they have the same love for luxuries again? Broadcast on:BBC Three, 12:45am Friday 23rd April 2010 Duration: 60 minutes Available until: 9:59pm Tuesday 25th May 2010 Categories:Sign Zone, Factual, Consumer

Next week leather and coming up in a few weeks Gold

Real eye opening stuff

Blood, sweat and luxuries, bbc3 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s5..._Luxuries_Gems/

Six young British consumers swap their luxury lives for the simple mud huts and shanty towns of Africa and Asia to work alongside the people who mine, manufacture, process and recycle luxury goods.

In Britain today, what were once luxuries are fast becoming everyday items. From electrical gadgets to leather handbags and shoes, as more and more is consumed, products are increasingly disposable. Would consumers care more if they knew the human cost of making luxuries?

The Brits head to the isolated mining town of Ilakaka in Madagascar to discover where the gems and jewellery sold on the British high street come from. In the vast open-pit mines they join hundreds of workers in chain gangs digging for one of the most sought-after gems in the world - sapphires. When the back-breaking work becomes too much for James, Alexandria and Lucy they're shocked to discover the alternative - a makeshift 50-foot-deep mine shaft accessed by rope and pulley.

Soon it's not just the extreme working conditions and hand-to-mouth existence of the locals that shock the Brits, but the value of the rough stones compared to the expensive shiny jewellery for sale in Western shops. Will they have the same love for luxuries again? Broadcast on:BBC Three, 12:45am Friday 23rd April 2010 Duration: 60 minutes Available until: 9:59pm Tuesday 25th May 2010 Categories:Sign Zone, Factual, Consumer

Next week leather and coming up in a few weeks Gold

Real eye opening stuff

Whats the point of shows like this. If people stop buying this tat then those chain gangs are unemployed and starving to death. And as for getting youngsters who never did a hard days work, its a stupidity. They would do better getting a British miner to compare conditions. Maybe someone retired who has something worth saying and knows how to work.

If its an yet another attempt to make me feel guilty for living in a developed country its not successful. Typical BBC.

There is strong resistance to gold breaking through £750-754. (3x in 3-4 months)

This is stopping me from investing more in gold.

We need a good correction, or for it to punch through, but this range is making me feel awkward.

Is anyone else feeling this way too?

I'm not that into TA but it looks like we have an ascending triangle which bodes well though.

There is strong resistance to gold breaking through £750-754. (3x in 3-4 months)

This is stopping me from investing more in gold.

We need a good correction, or for it to punch through, but this range is making me feel awkward.

Is anyone else feeling this way too?

I'm not that into TA but it looks like we have an ascending triangle which bodes well though.

Whether or not you buy here surely has to do with the percentage [of your worth] that's already in gold. A small percentage... you should be buying. A large percentage... perhaps can wait a little. Thoughts?...'cos even though there may be strong resistance to the up-side, there also seems to be strong support to the down-side.

Whether or not you buy here surely has to do with the percentage [of your worth] that's already in gold. A small percentage... you should be buying. A large percentage... perhaps can wait a little. Thoughts?...'cos even though there may be strong resistance to the up-side, there also seems to be strong support to the down-side.

If you still believed that seasonality occurred in gold then it should have dropped by now. The price is being kept in the ascending triangle by the weakness being shown in the EUR and people selling because they always at this time of the year. I put a chart on the gold thread a few months ago showing the march of the year peak to the end of the previous year, away from the seasonal influence.

I reckon by the end of the week the pattern will be even stronger and we may even break through 754.

I have around 10% of total wealth in physical. I have just transferred another 10% to GM, in case confirmation occurs this week.

If you still believed that seasonality occurred in gold then it should have dropped by now. The price is being kept in the ascending triangle by the weakness being shown in the EUR and people selling because they always at this time of the year. I put a chart on the gold thread a few months ago showing the march of the year peak to the end of the previous year, away from the seasonal influence.

Can you pl re-post the chart, sorry.

I reckon by the end of the week the pattern will be even stronger and we may even break through 754.

I have around 10% of total wealth in physical. I have just transferred another 10% to GM, in case confirmation occurs this week.

I've 50% of my worth in gold. :o .... and continuing to buy at the mo.... :lol:

I might be buying a little high here, but not too concerned as the bull market should "rescue" me if we see the dip. Besides this core position [i consider it my core currency] I have a large dollar hedge, which I will trade for silver from time to time. I am definitely not as bullish on silver as I am on gold, thought that said, neither am I bearish on silver. I find it the perfect commodity to trade against the dollar.

I reckon gold may have superceded the seasonalities now. With all the uncertainty hanging over the Eurozone, gold has broken out into currency territory. US investors, who often bought Euros to hedge dollars, are now buying gold as an alternative. I still expect a sideways movement this year... though things might get exciting at anytime.