SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you have heard of platinum

Yes. And I heard plenty about it around November 08. And I'm sure we'll all hear about it again soon. :o

I maybe missed a few of your posts AK, thus misunderstanding you. I was merely replying to your post re gold and silver. Perhaps you need to take a breath of north of Helsinki air?

Yes. And I heard plenty about it around November 08. And I'm sure we'll all hear about it again soon. :o

I maybe missed a few of your posts AK, thus misunderstanding you. I was merely replying to your post re gold and silver. Perhaps you need to take a breath of north of Helsinki air?

As far as i know platinum was at almost 1500 usd per onze today. I would guess platinum keeps its price today because it is a way of preserving wealth and it is an industrial metal

The first point i made earlier is to ask why should silver have some particular mystique that is more special than other industrial metals? Presumably the availability of silver is such that it can be priced around 100 times lower than platinum?

Gold is not the king of the metals in our current industrial era.

The second point i made was that gold will be king if industrialisation collapses and we return to widespread war and chaos

As far as i know platinum was at almost 1500 usd per onze today. I would guess platinum keeps its price today because it is a way of preserving wealth and it is an industrial metal

The first point i made earlier is to ask why should silver have some particular mystique that is more special than other industrial metals? Presumably the availability of silver is such that it can be priced around 100 times lower than platinum?

Gold is not the king of the metals in our current industrial era.

The second point i made was that gold will be king if industrialisation collapses and we return to widespread war and chaos

But you continue to make out i am an idiot

I invite you to imagine the dessimation in Platinum if it were not needed for Catalytic converters because we use Hydrogen fuel cells or batteries? I know what my king metal is, and it ain't platinum thats for sure.

BTW, the industrial heavy usage is precisely why I don't think there is a concentrated short position in platinum; and that is the reason I don't think it's price will go much above the old highs for a while (hyper excepted). Now gold, that could do the same as VW stock, due to the alleged concentrated shorts and strong longs who know the jig is up. :)

Anyway this is the silver thread. and we know how big JPMorgan's silver short is, don't we?!

vw.jpg

I invite you to imagine the dessimation in Platinum if it were not needed for Catalytic converters because we use Hydrogen fuel cells or batteries?

Probably if hydrogen fuel cells are in cars they will use generators as brakes and create more hydrogen and oxygen or something? And the platinum will be the inert metal for the electrolysis?

But wait there is more info:

A fuel cell works by catalysis, separating the component electrons and protons of the reactant fuel, and forcing the electrons to travel through a circuit, hence converting them to electrical power. The catalyst typically comprises a platinum group metal or alloy

Probably if hydrogen fuel cells are in cars they will use generators as brakes and create more hydrogen and oxygen or something? And the platinum will be the inert metal for the electrolysis?

But wait there is more info:

A fuel cell works by catalysis, separating the component electrons and protons of the reactant fuel, and forcing the electrons to travel through a circuit, hence converting them to electrical power. The catalyst typically comprises a platinum group metal or alloy

try palladium.

Question for the traders please

I have traded gold electronically before but not silver. I seem to recall holding a long gold position is the most expensive position to hold so that you lose your profit pips and move to a loss at a certain % rate per annum? I recall 9%?

If you hold a short silver position electronically what is the gain per annum if there is one?

Thanks

did you short silver back in mid-june when the price was around $13?

Chilton sees decision in December on position limits

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Commodity Futures Trading Commission is moving toward adopting a proposal in early December to rein in excessive speculation in energy markets by setting hard limits on positions investor entities can hold in a contract.

Bart Chilton, one of five CFTC commissioners, said until a draft is completed it will be difficult to determine where the commission stands as an entity, but there is a broad understanding "that there are issues that need to be addressed and that doing nothing is not an option."

"I think there will be" position limits, Chilton told Reuters in an interview.

"I don't want to prejudge where we'll be specifically but if I had to guess where we'll come out ultimately I believe that there will be hard position limits ... for energy commodities and for other physical commodities such as metals" he said.

Chilton sees decision in December on position limits

"I don't want to prejudge where we'll be specifically but if I had to guess where we'll come out ultimately I believe that there will be hard position limits ... for energy commodities and for other physical commodities such as metals" he said.

credit to ted butler if this is indeed the case

on another note, silver looks like a trapped bull at the moment

post-1635-1257977230_thumb.png

credit to ted butler if this is indeed the case

on another note, silver looks like a trapped bull at the moment

That wedge looks like it is going to explode to the upside to me.

A long time ago I wrote on the gold thread that a big threat to the gold story is an increase in margin requirements, it's happened once already, I think it will happen again.

When you think about it, it's quite amazing that people don't stop to fully consider that the price of gold (Comex) is based on the credit extended to traders / hedge funds etc

Everyone knows what happens when credit to buy something is reduced - we've seen it with house prices already.

Think about it, lets say margin requirements are set to double on a specific day, announced in advance. It could cause a wave of selling and flight to the dollar. It's probably one of the only bullets left in the US Govt's gun and I'm quite sure they will use it.

Gold is diverting foreign central bank money away from treasuries - how long do you think the US is going to entertain that?

Watch this space.

I long time ago I wrote on the gold thread that a big threat to the gold story is an increase in margin requirements, it's happened once already, I think it will happen again.

When you think about it, it's quite amazing that people don't stop to fully consider that the price of gold (Comex) is based on the credit extended to traders / hedge funds etc

Everyone knows what happens when credit to buy something is reduced - we've seen it with house prices already.

Think about it, lets say margin requirements are set to double on a specific day, announced in advance. It could cause a wave of selling and flight to the dollar. It's probably one of the only bullets left in the US Govt's gun and I'm quite sure they will use it.

Gold is diverting foreign central bank money away from treasuries - how long do you think the US is going to entertain that?

Watch this space.

The price on gold/silver on the comex has been completely controlled by the commercials (cartel) selling infinite shorts for years, increased margin requirements would increase price. Or are you just saying the increased margin requirements would be imposed only on the buy side? The comex is the cartels tool for controlling price not the bulls tool for setting it.

If the CFTC do impose position limits, Goldman Sacs amongst others will have to buy silver massively to cancel out their extraordinary short position (inherited from Bear Sterns).

The US isn't as strong as it thinks it is anymore, they will slowly get to know that is the case through expensive lessons.

The price on gold/silver on the comex has been completely controlled by the commercials (cartel) selling infinite shorts for years, increased margin requirements would increase price. Or are you just saying the increased margin requirements would be imposed only on the buy side? The comex is the cartels tool for controlling price not the bulls tool for setting it.

If the CFTC do impose position limits, Goldman Sacs amongst others will have to buy silver massively to cancel out their extraordinary short position (inherited from Bear Sterns).

The US isn't as strong as it thinks it is anymore, they will slowly get to know that is the case through expensive lessons.

If margin requirements are increased (ie the credit available is reduced) what mechanism would cause the price to increase?

If margin requirements are increased (ie the credit available is reduced) what mechanism would cause the price to increase?

Margin requirements for the short side would also be increased, so that would lead to decreased short positions.