SILVER

crikey - what is it with this forum, romans, true north, yerself et.al all see pretty sure the pos is going to fall

well here's a newsflash - you don't know this no matter what bobby (i'll get it right sometime this year) hoye and others say / the 2nd part of the newsflash is this - you're are a) predicting $ strength for this to happen and B) assuming pos will fall if you get part a. / the 3rd part of the newsflash is that you are assuming that we have an exact repeat of last year but without the element of the unknown (unlike last year) and hence a massive margin-call de-leveraging will occur 12 months after the 1st which was years in the making

i wish i had a crystal ball like you guys!

rant off (no offence intended)

My thoughts exactly :)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are assuming that we have an exact repeat of last year but without the element of the unknown (unlike last year) and hence a massive margin-call de-leveraging will occur 12 months after the 1st which was years in the making

i wish i had a crystal ball like you guys!

rant off (no offence intended)

I've been thinking the same recently: too many expect an action-replay repeat of last autumn.

Surely something a bit different will happen to wrong-foot people.

But the spring of my crystal ball is getting old. Maybe I should get a battery-powered one or even solar to be really modern.

As far as silver goes I'm ready to see it go either way without panicking. If necesssary I can sit under water for years. Also I buy with euros so dollar strengthening alone does not affect me.

At 10 euros an ounce silver is cheap considering its utility and cost of production.

crikey - what is it with this forum, romans, true north, yerself et.al all see pretty sure the pos is going to fall

I thought the POS would fall too…. Those thoughts flew straight out of the window when the BofE extended its QE programme.

Mother ******* are determined to monetise every last bit of debt. They are not even bothering to pretend otherwise.

Nothing wall fall in price while this crazy money printing continues. Nothing!

By the end of this year (when I am more certain about my job) I will be buying hard assets with every last bit of Sterling from my bank accounts and taking out some extra Sterling debt – Probably in the form of a life-of-balance interest rate on a credit card and silver coins from Airdale Coins.

I think most would agree the markets are looking very shaky at the mo. I think most would also agree that if the markets break, silver will be dragged down. And I know everyone would agree that if silver did dip it would be an excellent buying opportunity for the next wave up. :rolleyes:

It just depends if you want to trade a little, or not.... and remain invested.

I thought the POS would fall too…. Those thoughts flew straight out of the window when the BofE extended its QE programme.

Mother ******* are determined to monetise every last bit of debt. They are not even bothering to pretend otherwise.

Nothing wall fall in price while this crazy money printing continues. Nothing!

By the end of this year (when I am more certain about my job) I will be buying hard assets with every last bit of Sterling from my bank accounts and taking out some extra Sterling debt – Probably in the form of a life-of-balance interest rate on a credit card and silver coins from Airdale Coins.

As Yoda would say 'Hard to see the dark side is'

I am already getting out of Sterling and into anything that might hold water such as other currencies and PM's, if your base currency is GBP then I believe that you should get ready for a poor financial harvest this autumn. Sterling may have held up since the beginning of the financial year but all of the charts I look at suggest that the only direction is south.

Personally, I think that we are in for a repeat of last year from here to spring. A few more big companies, banks, etc will go under because they are not big enough for the governments to let fail, the markets will have a tough time. I suspect though that some of the players will be different, governments, currencies, banks and businesses that were strong may become weak. I will keep all of my investments fluid and hop from one to another as they all sink again.

If.

Yes if, but many seem to be expecting actual economic recovery and expectations can drive price even if they are wrong.

Personally I expect a temporary and weak recovery in some economies this H2 and next year.

'Yes if, but many seem to be expecting actual economic recovery and expectations can drive price even if they are wrong.'

Yes good point. TBH I think we are at a very difficult to decide juncture re Silver and Gold. It could go either way. I expect silver to go up more than gold when it gets going, relatively, as slvr is so far off its highs and gold is nearly there.

Good luck to us all!

I know it's maybe stupid now but tonight I took delivery of some beautiful 30th anniversary Pandas. I bought them to celebrate the election here today, my first Pandas. And quite stunning they are too. Make Brittanias look like Maples-shiny and fake!

when the price falls I intend to buy a whole few more.

Bit off topic, too much wine tonight! And edging towards 100 posts. (sorry everyone). For me it is deflation and price of silver/gold/houses/stocks all down before gold then silver rallying to 1600 and 35 then falling. Houses (UK) just down. Stocks, wave 3 down below march then up again then down again. Just like now. Currencies? havent got a clue. Best I can do a few dollars, a bit of Yen ditto Pounds, few Euros, lots of silver and gold. Supplies all in, tins etc. Garden full. Rice 100kg's, Guns none, passport ok.

Happy September everyone!

Hi Jake. I like your predictions, they sound reasonable to me. Pandas are the nicest coins I have. How do they do the diagonal milled edge I wonder? I'd only buy them from a coin dealer such as CID as there has been some suspisious examples on feebay. I stocked up on diesel yesterday, before the 2p increase. Will diesel fall in price from here with a general commodity sell off? I have to fill up the heating oil tank too. I guess you stocked up the wine and then drank it all? :P

Hi Jake. I like your predictions, they sound reasonable to me. Pandas are the nicest coins I have. How do they do the diagonal milled edge I wonder? I'd only buy them from a coin dealer such as CID as there has been some suspisious examples on feebay. I stocked up on diesel yesterday, before the 2p increase. Will diesel fall in price from here with a general commodity sell off? I have to fill up the heating oil tank too. I guess you stocked up the wine and then drank it all? :P

just started placing my orders with CID for gold/silver.

within a few weeks I will have done all my buying from my small (compared to you lot) cash euro fund from my french house sale.

I intend to buy some from CID & some from local dealer atm....

I assume you get containers with the silver coins. The silver bars will be branded & serial stamped I am being told.

well yesterdays (end of month) price came in (surprise, surprise) right on the descending line of the closing triangle.

This is the month were we will finally see what silver decides to do having months of buying and selling pressures bring us to this point. But it is worth noting that this isn't necessarily a prelude to fireworks as it may remain trading in the longer term channel (the shaft of the arrow). Hey these ta terms are good aren't they <_<:P

well yesterdays (end of month) price came in (surprise, surprise) right on the descending line of the closing triangle.

This is the month were we will finally see what silver decides to do having months of buying and selling pressures bring us to this point. But it is worth noting that this isn't necessarily a prelude to fireworks as it may remain trading in the longer term channel (the shaft of the arrow). Hey these ta terms are good aren't they <_<:P

I would love to see silver remain volatile, and the longer the better. I hope it does not settle into a very tight range as gold has done. I think this will eventually happen for silver though for now, even if it did stay strong on the risk averse trade, it would sell off [temporarily] in a full blown deflation scare... if we get one.

... Pandas are the nicest coins I have. How do they do the diagonal milled edge I wonder?...

They are milled into the die that the coin blank is pressed into. After stamping into the die the bottom of the die lifts and rotates to force the coin out. There have been a number of coins that have had diagonal reeding on the edge, originally it was an attempt to make both counterfeiting and coin clipping harder.

I assume you get containers with the silver coins. ...

Not necessarily. My coins from CID have come in allsorts of different packets, capsules and tubes.

The last lot I bought were Britannia's and Philharmonics:-

Britannia’s came in a weird heat shrunk plastic leaf. Some of the coins fell out of the plastic as I took them out of the cardboard box (I bought a multiple of 20).

Philharmonics came in a 20 coin tube (I bought a multiple of 20)

I also bought a few Maples, Eagles, Libertads, Panda’s and Aussie coins, these all came in a capsule or a little plastic packet (I bought less than 5 of each)

Not necessarily. My coins from CID have come in allsorts of different packets, capsules and tubes.

The last lot I bought were Britannia's and Philharmonics:-

Britannia’s came in a weird heat shrunk plastic leaf. Some of the coins fell out of the plastic as I took them out of the cardboard box (I bought a multiple of 20).

Philharmonics came in a 20 coin tube (I bought a multiple of 20)

I also bought a few Maples, Eagles, Libertads, Panda’s and Aussie coins, these all came in a capsule or a little plastic packet (I bought less than 5 of each)

thanks for the info ziknik.

I have ordered silver Britannia's. Don't like the sound of the heat shrunk plastic thingy....

so c'mon then, who checked every coin after delivery.

I have promised Mrs GOM a fun evening, I just haven't told her what we are doing yet. :D

excerpted from the Gold Report

Precious Metals Warrants (08/31/2009)

"Over the last couple of weeks, perhaps by accident or perhaps by intuition, I have been increasing my position in this investment sector. Insiders are buying some of these companies, and they are poised for incredible gains. It is probably no mystery to you that the answer is (drum roll please) SILVER.

Today the gold/silver ratio sits at 65 far from a more historical relationship of 30. Being gold bulls we anticipate (like many others) a move to $2,000 to $2,500 within the next 18 to 24 months. If silver returns to its 'normal' relationship of 30, we will see silver trading at between $66 and $83 an oz, an increase of awesome increase of 346% to 460%."

goldsilver.gif

Some possibly plausible good news and bad news for the silver bugs.

Silver tends to magnify the volatility we see in gold both to the down and up side. However, gold has not been volatile lately and has settled down into a very limited though elevated range [my theory for this is the effective monetization of gold post QE]. Being tied to gold, silver looks to be also becoming less volatile. If you compare silver to platinum [chart below], platinum has recently declined as markets sell off, but silver remains in sympathy with gold.

The good news here is that the price will not go on a major decline unless gold does... and that is looking increasingly unlikely[of course, the caveat here is if there was another massive deflation scare and forced liquidation which would take all markets down, metals included though temporarily].

The "bad" news is that maybe silver is not going to shoot to the moon anytime soon.

I am starting to think both gold and silver will remain relatively stable and will only go on a slide with the big one, that is, a possible looming liquidation a la Hoye.

platinum.gif

The "bad" news is that maybe silver is not going to shoot to the moon anytime soon.

I sold my Ag back near the spring high. Over 1500 oz. Stronger dollar back then. :)

I have not bought into the Ag moon shoot (for the moment) and happy to hold Au in these uncertain times. ;)

I swapped half the silver I had for Yen. Will be happy to sit on Yen until Mr Market spits the dummy next.

Really not too sure how much of a visionary Bob Hoye is, he seems quite blinkered to me.

It may or may not happen. I wouldn't bet the house on it, or all my stash, but markets are looking vulnerable.

All it would take is something to come out of Europe, then a renewed credit crisis, and then watch out below.