James Dyson

~~~

Michael Faraday invented the first electric motor almost 200 years ago and its design has remained largely unchanged ever since. Lots of moving parts and a big, fragile fan make them unreliable. And they release carbon particles as their brushes wear down.

Dyson engineers spent seven years developing a new kind of motor. Half the size and weight, the Dyson digital motor spins 88,000 times a minute - five times faster than a Formula 1 car engine. Fewer moving parts also means it lasts four-times longer than ordinary motors.

So far, it's being used to power our DC12 and DC22 vacuums and the Dyson Airblade™ hand dryer.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/article...amp;hf=&js=

~~~

~~~

G-Force

G-Force was the name given to Dyson's first vacuum cleaner. It was the first vacuum cleaner to use "Cyclone" suction technology. The G-Force was licensed to a Japanese company and only sold on the Japanese market and not released under the Dyson name. James Dyson later used the money he earned from G-Force to start up the Dyson company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC01

~~~

I listened to James Dyson speaking on Sky news today. They have been evolving the design of eletric motors.

It could be very profitable for the company, if the expanding technology can be licensed to other companies in the future.

Worth keeping an eye on.

Interesting article DH

Prompted me to take a look at Dyson and I saw this - I am not crediting you with the rise I hasten to add!!!

Dyson up 57 pct as traders cite web chatterBy By Ben Deighton LONDON (Reuters) - Shares in materials technology company Dyson Group rose 57 percent on Wednesday as traders pointed to talk in online chatrooms of a possible bid for the company. Shares in Dyson more than doubled on Tuesday to 15.25 pence from 7.3 pence with trading volumes at their highest in more than a year. The stock was up another 57 percent at 24 pence by 12:47 p.m. with trading volumes again well above average.

http://news.stv.tv/business/68577-dyson-up...te-web-chatter/

07 January 2009 12:53 PM

• 1 month later...
~~~

Michael Faraday invented the first electric motor almost 200 years ago and its design has remained largely unchanged ever since. Lots of moving parts and a big, fragile fan make them unreliable. And they release carbon particles as their brushes wear down.

The brushless motor has been around for over 90 years.

At work we use mag lev turbo fans (vacuum pumps) that are brushless, bearingless and rotate at supersonic speeds.

Dyson has some cool stuff, but there have been a few other improvements in Faradays designs over the years.

Interesting.

More efficient batteries, and moie efficient electroc motors are critical to the suburban future - if there is one.

I watched a timewatch special about the death of the electric car the other evening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car%3F

"The film explores some of the reasons that the auto and oil industries worked to kill off the electric car. Wally Rippel is shown explaining that the oil companies were afraid of losing out on trillions in potential profit from their transportation fuel monopoly over the coming decades, while the auto companies were afraid of losses over the next six months of EV production. Others explained the killing differently. GM spokesman Dave Barthmuss argued it was lack of consumer interest due to the maximum range of 80–100 miles per charge, and the relatively high price."

Great story of the Californian governments attempts to force car makers to produce a percentage of zero emission cars and the opposition they faced.

How GM (and their EV1 electric car) went all out to make sure it was never a success. Unfortunately, everyone that had the chance to use one loved them. They were all leased though, and GM took them all back and scrapped them, much to the anger of their previous users who had offered significant sums of money for them.

If they could make them viable back then (with a 120mile range IIRC), with improved batteries and motors today, they would be great.

Some might say GM going bust is reaping what they sowed.

• 1 month later...

Can you run lifts with these things?

• 9 months later...

Archived