Discussion: A Moderation Decision

It’s really difficult for me to have this debate as I the chip on my shoulder that is bigger than my head. But, this subject is important to me so I am going to try really really hard not to bait anyone in this thread.

I hope the mods will allow this debate to take place on the main forum so we get maximum input. I hope everyone can be on/in ‘super careful behaviour mode’ to avoid any need for moderation or perception that moderation is required in this thread.

Also, I would like to see the mods participate in this thread. I personally find it rude when moderators refuse to respond to genuine members* making genuine comments, suggestions & complaints [i’m not baiting, I’m just telling you what I think]

Right, this is the subject of the thread:

Grumpy Old Man: Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on Jun 3 2024, 02:34 AM."

Given that GoM has posted his age on more than one occasion and given the average life expectancy in the UK… er… em… he’s probably going to die before his suspension ends – Sorry to put it so bluntly but it’s true (IIRC). So we are talking about a life time ban for a well know and popular member.

I understand that a few people here have had disagreements with GoM. But how many of these people support a lifetime ban? Some members will remember that I blew up at GoM and I used every abusive word I could type at him (most of it got deleted). Neither of us got banned and we were able to put our differences aside. Most of the members here are very reasonable people and most members can sort out their own problems with each other. Sometimes it helps to have other well respected members step in and settle things down.

I understand that some people are banned for life from this forum as they struggle for various reasons. However, I don’t believe there are many people here who would put GoM in this category.

Some more questions:

Who can remember why GoM was banned?

Who supported the ban?

Who thinks the length of the ban is justified?

I’d like to think the mod(s) who banned GoM will provide a full response to the questions I have raised above (I don’t know which mods(s) done it btw). That way we can all understand why GoM was banned for life and forget about him like we’ve done with Nolo (or bolo or whatever he was called).

ALL comments, answers to questions, other questions, etc are gratefully received from ALL members.

* I am aware I [me] don’t exactly fit in to the ‘genuine members’ category given my 2 sockpuppets. I’m thinking more of other members.

ALL comments, answers to questions, other questions, etc are gratefully received from ALL members.

Does it matter?

If he has something to offer other than CDSwamp proxy posts and general agitating; why doesn't he just create a user account as, let's say, "NiceYoungChap" or similar and post genuine, relevant contributions? Providing he posts constructively I rather doubt anyone would notice or care that he was once "GoM".

I did not do the banning, but the story in brief was:

GOM promised to behave himself, when he became CDS's voice here,

and then he failed to do so.

I will shortly be moving this thread to the About GEI section, since I think it does not belong on Main.

If one of the other Mods thinks I have been to slow to move it, they are welcome to move it for me,

I’d like to think the mod(s) who banned GoM will provide a full response to the questions I have raised above (I don’t know which mods(s) done it btw). That way we can all understand why GoM was banned for life and forget about him like we’ve done with Nolo (or bolo or whatever he was called).

Tick, tock.

I'm waiting, lets have some accountability here please there's a good moderator.

Does it matter?

If he has something to offer other than CDSwamp proxy posts and general agitating; why doesn't he just create a user account as, let's say, "NiceYoungChap" or similar and post genuine, relevant contributions? Providing he posts constructively I rather doubt anyone would notice or care that he was once "GoM".

I agree igglepiggle. ;)

Hello all, this is my first post btw. Long time lurker.

So what does one do now? Secret virtual handshake?

You will find me open to discussion, I always admit my mistakes & I never tell lies, do you think you have room for a poster like this on GEI?

what say you merry bunch? :D

ps - nice to see G0ldFinger sporting his Santa beard once again.

I did not do the banning, but the story in brief was:

GOM promised to behave himself, when he became CDS's voice here,

and then he failed to do so.

I will shortly be moving this thread to the About GEI section, since I think it does not belong on Main.

If one of the other Mods thinks I have been to slow to move it, they are welcome to move it for me,

Please leave the thread on the main forum. It will drop off the first page if no one is interested.

Does it matter?

I can tell you’ve never been banned here. It’s not that easy

I agree igglepiggle. ;)

You will find me open to discussion, I always admit my mistakes & I never tell lies, do you think you have room for a poster like this on GEI?

what say you merry bunch? :D

ps - nice to see G0ldFinger sporting his Santa beard once again.

Hello Liberum Abritrium, welcome to GEI :)

Nope.

Just a welcome from me.

It's a bit of a strange thread on which to make a first posting

I am moving this now.

No need to "wash linen" on the Main thread

== ==

You have a greater chance of getting other Mods to comment, if this is in a "members only" section.

Also, I expect that most will assume that "Liberum Abritrium" is GOM.

Hi, GOM.

Be careful, or you may get a quick ban here

Nope.

Just a welcome from me.

It's a bit of a strange thread on which to make a first posting

You are a very kind man DrBubb. If only everyone here welcomed new members as warmly as you do.

I’m sure LA will especially appreciate the welcome from you as are the site Owner.

Speaking from personal experience, it is always nice to know the site Owner welcomes your participation.

I hope we can all put this ‘circumventing ban and nose rubbing’ nonsense behind us now and focus on the GoM issue.

Personaly I would not have baned either Ziknik or GOM if I was a MOD (although I dont know the full details of GOM postings)

Look its quite simple, if no one is interested, then it will be ignored or slip down the list. If anyone is outrageously offensive, and pesistantly so, then it might need moderator intervention. It not rocket science!! unfortunatly, the so called smart guys are appointed moderator over and above those with common sense. Thats why you get dumb decisions on forums. Ive seen it on HPC too. I would not have banned Ziknik, in fact, if I was moderator I would have reversed the ban as unwarranted. Also I would not move threads like this as it just looks like moving skeletons into clossets. There is a problem and just moving threads to some hidden place does not fix the problem any more than printing money fixes the economy!!

The banning was not me.

I am a mod but I do very little moderating. (Because I don't have the time).

When a mod gets the hump they can easily over moderate, and over moderation is a problem, but the secret is not to give them the hump.

As a non mod, when when idiots post badly written posts I don't read them. When squabbles start I ignore them. Just as I walk away from a bore in the pub. The problem is that the site gets taken over . And you stop coming to the site. You want a laissez faire attitude but this can get subverted.

I am not familiar with the GOM story because I started skipping his posts. That's bad moderation by me.

When a mod gets the hump they can easily over moderate, and over moderation is a problem, but the secret is not to give them the hump.

It's not like real life CC. We can't see the mods faces, we don't know they've got the hump. We don't know they are having a bad day.

The mods must communicate more.

I've asked RH twice to provide me with a copy of the rules and he ignored me.

He ignores me and then he bans me. What kind of behaviour is that?

I asked him why he banned me and guess what - he ignored me!

As a non mod, when when idiots post badly written posts I don't read them.

Are you calling someone an 'idiot' because they don't speak the English language as well as you?

The problem is that the site gets taken over . And you stop coming to the site. You want a laissez faire attitude but this can get subverted.

I am not familiar with the GOM story because I started skipping his posts. That's bad moderation by me.

No one is arguing for laissez faire in this thread. I am trying to force communication from the mods.

Am I asking too much?

Fair enough if you don't have time... but RH chooses to be unemployed and spends hours per day here. How can he not have time?

Neverending story.

From what I know about UK life expectancy and GOM's real age, he will most like live to see the end of the suspension in 2024. :o

As Frizzers, I am not particularly active as a mod and tend to ignore much too. Indefinite suspensions I only ever give to bots. The heavier stuff should be sorted by Bubb IMHO.

EDIT: I just see that this sort of got out of control again. Apparently this is more a problem with one mod.

Are you calling someone an 'idiot' because they don't speak the English language as well as you?

No. I'm talking about boring rambly repetitive posts

No one is arguing for laissez faire in this thread. I am trying to force communication from the mods.

Am I asking too much?

No.

Archived