I'm not so sure of this. Consider an alternative. The government's effort to reflate/ support over-inflated house prices fails with prices declining to a more "sustainable" level in the next few years. Your deposit, kept dry in the strongest currencies, strengthens against assets as they deflate.

No leverage required then to mulitply your deposit to keep pace with inflating house prices... just a good solid deposit kept safe while houses deflate in value.

wise words RH. What are your current favourites for strong currencies?

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

wise words RH. What are your current favourites for strong currencies?

Gold and dollars basically. Perhaps also silver, Euros and Yen when cheap.

Besides saving in these currencies, I think there is also the opportunity to speculate a little given the likelihood of continued volatility between some of the "contrary" currencies. the dollar and gold is a good example of this, though I doubt we will always see the two inversely correlated.

hey, hoped to get more feedback on this idea! what's wrong with it?? If nothing why don't you all do it!! LOL

Hi CVP, I always use the checklist below before opening a swing trade, although I am a day trader at heart.

* What stage is this stock in?

* Is this stock in and uptrend or a downtrend?

* Is the stock at the beginning, middle, or end of the trend?

* How strong is the trend?

* Where are the trend lines?

* What wave is this stock in?

* What do the moving averages tell me?

* Was there a breakout recently?

* Is the chart "smooth" or "sloppy"?

* Are there any chart patterns?

* Are there wide range candles in the direction of the trend?

* Are there any gaps in the direction of the trend?

* Are professionals selling strength or buying weakness?

* Where are the support and resistance areas?

* Is this stock at a Fibonacci level?

* What does volume tell me?

You could consider opening 2 long trades at $10 a pip with a tight initial stop loss on one position but not on the other in case the market turns in your favour after an initial fall. Move both stops up to your start price asap for two free trades and then set a 50 or 100 pip t/s on one of the trades and let the other one ride. Then again I trade Pm and currency movements through my Forex broker and I guess CFD trading is probably different, so none of the above may apply. Tax free though, if I remember rightly. :)

Good luck anyhow.

JL

Perishabull in Harrods

It's three gold bars for the price of two at the moment...

It's my favourite perk of my missus's job - I can assure you they don't taste like tungsten! :P scoff scoff

p.s.

"silent" staff only sale tomorrow - first time ever that staff have access to sale stock before general population. Normally have to wait 1 full week.

The sale at Harrods is a sight to behold for bargain hunters (for non electical) when you add staff discount, its worth saving for.

I advise everyone to only use Lindt, Ritter Sport, Toblerone and Milka-Suchard to buy physical. :lol:

LOL...I almost bought a bar of physical also, not sure why I didn't go ahead now...

I was going to buy some silver as at the moment I prefer that to gold (I assumed they would be doing that also - I assumed wrong)

LOL...I almost bought a bar of physical also, not sure why I didn't go ahead now...

I was going to buy some silver as at the moment I prefer that to gold (I assumed they would be doing that also - I assumed wrong)

Poor Man's Gold is beneath Harrods. :lol:

1080 looks like the floor before christmas. We should rally next week to test the 1100s again. Finishing the year with a close about 1033 will be the major bull signal for the new year.

And by the way, merry xmas to you all at GEI. :)

Do you mean $1133?

Guys thanks for those comments.Making a lot of sense.

One thing though with CFDs the minimum you can risk really is £2000 to open the trade.

about following the trend..yes..good thinking. I was basically not planning to pick the low but accept a downside before the upside. So buy in at 1000 and expect it to go down to 950, 900 at the extreme. Your comment made me think about that one so maybe I'll revise that plan and wait until there's a technical trend upwards.

About deflating assets..yes it going to happen and it is sensible to hold strong currencies/gold/solid defensive stocks and let nature take its course. So I'm only going to risk what I can tolerate. Yes i may have to bang my head against a wall a few times if I lose it all, but I won't be slashing my throat at that level.

Once again, many thanks.

Simon

Great idea and if it pays off well done.

I am buying in at a %base per month , but still reckon that it might see $780-980 RANGE before a strong move to the upside?

Who knows ? All I know is I can't think of a better place to put my savings into other than either a farm, which I CAN'T AFFORD AS YET Or Gold.

The plan is to double up untill the farm is affordable?

Holding a reasonably large balance of GBP when QE is going on dosn't make sense to me!

We are in strange times at the moment where debt is seen as good or promoted or protected by UK Government.

Even though I have been Frugal all my life, GBrown has just given me and every other tax payer a £100k overdaft! Yet I HAVN'T SEEN ANY BENEFIT YET.

I AM 80% CASH 20% GOLD Even though the gold POSITION/GBP is losing value, it feels safer than the cash, and I can't logically explain that!!!

Best of luck with your trades.

Regards

ML.

Interesting read

http://users.rcn.com/mgfree/Economics/goldHistory.html

How Americans Lost Their Right To Own Gold And Became Criminals in the Process

Henry Mark Holzer

About the Author:

Henry Mark Holzer is Professor of Law at Brooklyn Law School, where he teaches constitutional law, administrative law, and other courses. His practice is limited to appeals and constitutional litigation.

Prof. Hoizer has lectured widely on a variety of legal and law- related topics, and his articles have appeared in newspapers, popular and professional magazines, and academic journals.

His most recent books are The Gold Clause (1980) and Government's Money Monopoly (1981).

Introduction

For the first time since [James] Bond had known Goldfinger, the big, bland face, always empty of expression. showed a trace of life . . . .

"Mr. Bond, all my life I have been in love. I have been in love with gold. I love its colour, its brilliance, its divine heaviness . . . .I have worked all my life for gold . . . .I ask you . . . . is there any other substance on earth that so rewards its owner?"1

For centuries, most people have shared the fictional Mr. Gold- finger's attitude about gold, though not necessarily for the same reasons. While gold has been much sought after, both for ornamental and industrial purposes, modern times-or, more specifically, modern governments-have taught men to value it for one purpose above all others: as a hedge against the debasement of paper money. Monetary economist Charles Rist acknowledged this phenomenon when he wrote:

"n the absence of governments capable of maintaining stable money, private individuals seek to assure it for themselves, hoarding a purchasing power [gold] more stable than that of any other merchandise . . . stable money is one of the last arms that remains at the disposal of the individual to direct his own affairs, whether it be an enterprise or a simple household.

"2 Indeed, during the monetary crisis of the last several years, the price of gold soared in free world markets as more and more individuals around the world acquired gold as a hedge against actual and potential currency devaluations.

3 Unfortunately, while others scrambled to protect themselves from the instability of paper money, Americans had to watch from the sidelines. For them, owning gold has long been a criminal offense, punishable by up to ten years in jail and/or up to a $10,000 fine; they also risk confiscation of the gold and a penalty of twice its value.4

On Jeremy Vines radio 2 show they are discussing gold. Talking about 2009 and all the sell your gold partys and websites, is it better to be buying gold in 2010 rather than selling it as in 2009. Sounds like the start of the mania phase. program starts at 12 till 2pm UK time and will be available on the iplayer later.

It was worth a listen. There was a woman from GMFS who said that she would not sell her gold at the moment but she did not think it would go much higher. (didn't make sense to me)

The program came over as a promotion for the gold for cash type places and was more of an encouragement to sell your "rubbish worthless gold that you have just kicking around" for real paper cash so you can buy a plasma as one example suggested.

On Jeremy Vines radio 2 show they are discussing gold. Talking about 2009 and all the sell your gold partys and websites, is it better to be buying gold in 2010 rather than selling it as in 2009. Sounds like the start of the mania phase. program starts at 12 till 2pm UK time and will be available on the iplayer later.

No doubt 2010 will see public participation, but I think we're probably a couple of years away from a mania phase. That comes when Jeremy Vine is conducting interviews and most of his callers are warning people that they'll 'miss the boat'. It's going to be fascinating to sit back and watch this.

It was worth a listen. There was a woman from GMFS who said that she would not sell her gold at the moment but she did not think it would go much higher. (didn't make sense to me)

The program came over as a promotion for the gold for cash type places and was more of an encouragement to sell your "rubbish worthless gold that you have just kicking around" for real paper cash so you can buy a plasma as one example suggested.

The sheeple are confused. :) Let them buy plasma TVs. :)