• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Wow -£50/t oz in 3 days and no one comments... Is everyone still drunk from Christmas? BTW what caused the pound to strengthen? is bad news good news again, re this week's MPC meet?

Looks to me like PPT levers started to get pulled as soon as silver shot up 2% in 10 minutes at start of US trading, passing that 11.5 level.

Indeed, they really got busy today - silver down 6%, 3.5%, oil down 15%.

Laughable really - they keep inflating the money supply, and concomitantly try to hold down these inflation indicating commodities. It can ony get harder and harder to keep these prices suppressed as money supply increases - eventually the top will blow open.

Looks to me like PPT levers started to get pulled as soon as silver shot up 2% in 10 minutes at start of US trading, passing that 11.5 level.

Indeed, they really got busy today - silver down 6%, 3.5%, oil down 15%.

Laughable really - they keep inflating the money supply, and concomitantly try to hold down these inflation indicating commodities. It can ony get harder and harder to keep these prices suppressed as money supply increases - eventually the top will blow open.

I'll give it a fortnight. :)

Gold and Oil Short-Term Trends - http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/gold-and-oi...rm-trends-29178

Bull and Bear factors.

Pick #3 —

PowerShares DB Gold Double Short ETN (DZZ)

This exchange-traded note targets twice the INVERSE of the daily movement in an index that tracks gold. In other words, if gold goes down, this ETF should go up twice as much.

Forgive me my ignorance but can anyone explain, please, how it can be possible to make ETn(DZZ) work

Forgive me my ignorance but can anyone explain, please, how it can be possible to make ETn(DZZ) work

Not sure what you mean by work? DZZ can be bought through any broker that trades US stocks. To 'work' it, buy when you think gold is going to fall and sell when you think gold is going up.

That said, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - only for serious, experienced, traders.

Laughable really - they keep inflating the money supply...

"LETS PRINT MORE MONEY" - front page main headlines on the Daily Mail tomorrow. Similar headlines to be in The Times and other national newspapers.

Deflationists take note!!!!!!!

"LETS PRINT MORE MONEY" - front page main headlines on the Daily Mail tomorrow. Similar headlines to be in The Times and other national newspapers.

Should be good for gold tomorrow, especially if they cut rates further.

Mish sums it up well in the CWR podcast. The biggest contributor to the money supply has been/ is credit. Compare what is being created with the net change over the past couple of years of the mortgage market and it looks like a drop in the ocean

Mish sums it up well in the CWR podcast. The biggest contributor to the money supply has been/ is credit. Compare what is being created with the net change over the past couple of years of the mortgage market and it looks like a drop in the ocean

I basically agree, but we shouldn't under-estimate the further damage GB could do...

Net new mortgage lending in UK peaked at about £50B per year, meaning new money creation from that source was probably in the range £10B - £50B per year for each of the last 10 or so years. Lets say 300B total.

I can quite imaging the government borrowing many tens of billions more to restimulate the economy. Indeed, the US is probably looking at creating a trillion or more.

But in the end - all the sums just add together anyway. All the new money created over last decade still exists, and will have its effect on inflation over next few years. The new money that is now to be printed as part of the crazy 'quantitative easing' just adds to the pot.

And remember, the other main consideration is the impression people have. A lot of new money has been created, but the government and media spin has made people think deflation is the big danger. The fact that people are now talking so blatantly about printing new money could change the way the masses think about these things - so they instead start to worry about the likelihood of inflation. Once the masses start to see the world that way, thats when gold will go ballistic. Hopefully, tomorrow's newspaper headlines will take us one big step further along that road.

Congress gets 'sticker shock' at $1,200,000,000,000 deficit

Estimate may cool the ardor for some Obama plans

By LORI MONTGOMERY Washington Post

Jan. 7, 2009, 11:12PM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/6199619.html

WASHINGTON — The nation's budget deficit will soar to an unprecedented $1.2 trillion this year, congressional budget analysts said Wednesday, a startling tide of red ink that could dampen enthusiasm on Capitol Hill for some of President-elect Barack Obama's most ambitious priorities.

In the first official estimate of the damage done to the nation's finances by a weakening economy and various financial sector bailouts, the Congressional Budget Office reported that the gap between government spending and revenue will exceed 8 percent of the overall economy by the end of September, a yawning chasm not seen since the end of World War II.

'Jaw-dropping'

The news drew a grim reaction from Congress, where the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., called the figure "jaw-dropping." While lawmakers said they expect to dig this year's hole even deeper by approving a massive stimulus package aimed at pulling the nation out of recession, Conrad and his House counterpart, Rep. John M. Spratt Jr., D-S.C., said they have warned Obama to limit the package to temporary measures that will not add to the deficit in future years.

The Gold Bug by Edgar Allen Poe By: Trace Mayer, J.D.

Sometimes whenever gold is mentioned around polite company the term ‘gold bug’ gets thrown out. This term was penned by Edgar Allen Poe in his short story ‘The Gold Bug’. Published in the early 1840’s and according to Poe it ‘made great noise’ and was his most widely circulated and read story.