• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Just took some profits with 1/3 of my stash at 610. I'm in a position where I may need actual pounds (I know.....) soon so didn't want to miss out like the last time I thought about selling, didn't, and lost out on a chance to buy in 10% lower.

Feel free to hurl bricks etc. Just posting a slightly different view to stimulate debate.

(FYI - my stash is 1/3 in ETFs and 2/3 in BV - just sold the entire ETF portion)

You're not alone. I've done the same with my tradeable gold. In fact, I know I shouldn't really admit this but as of this moment, one of my accounts is actually *short* gold in USD. Shock-horror! :rolleyes:

Still holding firm on my BV stash - I don't think I'll ever, ever, ever, ever trade/sell that. "It's my pension " :)

You're not alone. I've done the same with my tradeable gold. In fact, I know I shouldn't really admit this but as of this moment, one of my accounts is actually *short* gold in USD. Shock-horror! :rolleyes:

Still holding firm on my BV stash - I don't think I'll ever, ever, ever, ever trade/sell that. "It's my pension " :)

No... not on the gold thread you apostate! :lol:

back to a time when England had sound money

they wont be able to quote a value in £ soon though

Iron Age Coins

One of the UK's largest hauls of Iron Age gold coins has been found in Suffolk.

The 824 so-called staters were found, using a metal detector, in a broken pottery jar buried in a field near Wickham Market.

Jude Plouviez, of the Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service, said the coins dated from 40BC to AD15.

They are thought to have been minted by predecessors of the Iceni Queen Boudicca.

Ms Plouviez said their value when in circulation had been estimated at a modern equivalent of between £500,000 and £1m, but they were likely to be worth less than that now.

back to a time when England had sound money

they wont be able to quote a value in £ soon though

Iron Age Coins

Just got this picture in my head of Time Team (archaeology TV show for the non-UK readers) in 2000 years time... 'So Tony, what we've got here is a so-called Krugerrand from the Late Fiat Age. Back then, they had this strange idea that bits of paper could be used as money'

Not that anyone here is going to bury and forget about their stash :lol:

Just got this picture in my head of Time Team (archaeology TV show for the non-UK readers) in 2000 years time... 'So Tony, what we've got here is a so-called Krugerrand from the Late Fiat Age. Back then, they had this strange idea that bits of paper could be used as money'

It won't be like that at all. Post crash, we'll be back to mud huts and mysticism in no time. So a Kruger find would be more like the local soothsayer saying:

BeHOLD!

The era of the Gordogon!

It is said, that to stare into it's cyclopic eye! Would turn your FIAT saving account to STONE!

:o :o :o

There's Gooold! In them there (banker) bailouts! :lol:

On a more serious note, just started reading this: Exchange control (gold coins).Commons sitting, Deb 13 June 1966. May be of interest (sorry if posted before). :unsure:

Oh, and welcome back cdswamp! :)

Thanks - I knew about this already as read it in a book recently, but this is amazing actually seeing word for word what was discussed and I'll probably print it off for reference.

I see Rand is withdrawing 50KG from bullionvaults London Vault.

Why would a refinery do that?

supply problems? fear of confiscation?

Let the speculation begin

No, Rand is doing nothing. Someone is withdrawing bars, that have incidently been produced by Rand. Most likely this is just cgnao cleaning out the vault. :lol:

No, Rand is doing nothing. Someone is withdrawing bars, that have incidently been produced by Rand. Most likely this is just cgnao cleaning out the vault. :lol:

:lol: That is a complete Homer simpson moment on by part.

Looking at the "Doctors" position on the audit it couldnt be cgnao.....holding too much cash!

Yes. :D

Just a few days ago I had a sister keen to buy a few ounces... the price was at $1500 then. So up over a $100 in just a few days. I worry that family might start to feel priced out if it goes higher [actually it is just a case of weak currencies getting weaker] so I will have to try and convince them it is still cheap.

Though I will have to be careful; after a conversation with another sister she asked how much she should by. I said maybe around 20% [of savings]. To which she replied hurriedly: "how about 50%!"

Note to self; do not scare them too much, after all there are no certainties. :lol:

I had the same thought yesterday, there's going to come a time when it will be difficult to recommend gold because it's risen so dramatically. I bought a lot of gold around 10th Dec, the latest boost has put a big smile on my face!

Just a few days ago I had a sister keen to buy a few ounces... the price was at $1500 then. So up over a $100 in just a few days. I worry that family might start to feel priced out if it goes higher [actually it is just a case of weak currencies getting weaker] so I will have to try and convince them it is still cheap.

Though I will have to be careful; after a conversation with another sister she asked how much she should by. I said maybe around 20% [of savings]. To which she replied hurriedly: "how about 50%!"

Note to self; do not scare them too much, after all there are no certainties. :lol:

I had the same thought yesterday, there's going to come a time when it will be difficult to recommend gold because it's risen so dramatically. I bought a lot of gold around 15th Dec, the latest boost has put a big smile on my face!

Yeah, it is great for the morale. That said, I am trying to exercise a certain financial discipline these days but not easy. I am trying not to think about gold in fiat prices ['cos they are just reflecting increasingly impotent currencies] but instead just focus on accumulating ounces of gold.

Though it is difficult to do, being habituated since childhood to the current monetary system.... more of a "spiritual" discipline really. :)

$1639 an ounce here.... Is that an all time high in sterling?

In NZ dollars that is. I think it is an all time high in the kiwi... I am sure Steve will correct me if I am wrong. :)

Safe haven' gold hits record New Zealand price

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/ar...jectid=10552951

Surging international prices and the weakening kiwi currency caused gold to hit a New Zealand dollar record yesterday.

The price of a one-ounce (28.3-gram) kiwi gold coin reached $1787, up more than $100 on the previous day.

New Zealand Mint bullion dealer Michael O'Kane said gold rose to more than US$850 an ounce on Tuesday, while at the same time the kiwi dropped over a cent to around US52c.

Ever since the collapse of United States investment bank Lehman Brothers in September demand for gold had been running at unprecedented levels, he said. Gold was seen as a safe haven, and demand internationally was up 800 per cent year-on-year.

:D :D

I think the withdrawer (DOCTOR) is their own account. I have seen this 'person' take out 30+Kg before.

Either that, or it's a pro footballer or Cg himself!

No footballer would be in any investment other than property, surely!

Doctor doesn't seem too keen on the New York vault! DJGold just above him has zero gold at the moment and tens of thousands in cash. That makes me wonder if it's worthwhile tracking a few big players on there to see who's got a feel for the market, then copy their strategy. Probably too much effort.

DOUBLE POST:

Frizzers on some interesting patterns in the price of gold (more evidence of manipulation?). Good stuff.

Gold is shifting from West to East – along with the balance of power

http://www.moneyweek.com/investments/preci...gged-14501.aspx

I've been looking at some charts and an astonishing pattern has become apparent. It's a pattern which, if you'd traded it methodically, would have earned you 1% a week over a period of 24 years. That compounds to a staggering 24,720,000%!

The strategy is really quite simple. You buy gold at the London PM fix (3PM), as the American markets have just opened for trading, and you sell your gold the following morning at the London AM fix (10:30AM), as the Asian markets are closing.

'Jan 22 2009, 04:57 AM']Safe haven' gold hits record New Zealand price

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/ar...jectid=10552951

The price of a one-ounce (28.3-gram) kiwi gold coin reached $1787, up more than $100 on the previous day.

Was that just the briefest of spikes?? It is back down to $1601 today... the 22nd of January. :blink: :blink: [just checked on the price at goldmoney which they keep up-dated well I believe]

Also, I think the author of that article is confused about how many grams there are in an ounce.