SILVER

JT thinks we might shoot up to $70/t.oz given the half mast formation. Let's hope he's right.

That would be great. Need to sell a lot of silver. 70$/oz will be a good enough profit. from 20$/oz purchase to 70 is quite good. I shall however plough profit back into gold.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can be quite persuasive can't they! Anyway, it sounds like you have a plan, but if you need any help coming up with an excuse let me know... :D

I'm trying Warpig, but the force is strong in Mrs JL. Even my powers of persuasion may not be enough. Fortunately, Mrs JL is extremely picky in regards to her nest, so I'm thinking 6 months minimum. :D

If I was going to drag my heals I would just set my sights too high or if you have children, you could suggest the money saved by not buying now would go towards a deposit for our child when they're older, you'll be the perfect father! ;) I could reel these off all day, if you need anymore let me know! :P

I'm all ears on suggestions as well :)

Congratulations. smile.gif

Thanks, d2thdr.

BTW, can you share your thought process for moving from silver into gold with the GSR being where it is?

I took delivery of a 2012 Proof Gold Sovereign from the Royal Mint this morning. :) I normally buy bullion sovereigns, but I can't resist the one-offs, now have proof 1989, 2002, 2005 and 2012 sovereigns. Didn't get any brownie points with Mrs JL though, she made a quip long the lines of "Aren't we supposed to be saving for a deposit?" :rolleyes:

http://www.royalmint.com/Annex/Sovereign/The-2012-Gold-Sovereign.aspx?src=hm_SmallBanner_2012Sovereign?promcode=W12G&gclid=CJX-q5ix3qwCFQEMfAodmFeEhw

If I was going to drag my heals I would just set my sights too high or if you have children, you could suggest the money saved by not buying now would go towards a deposit for our child when they're older, you'll be the perfect father! ;) I could reel these off all day, if you need anymore let me know! :P

Ah yeah, but you see, that's all long term :) She wants hard evidence NOW. House prices must be going down at a 10% pcm rate (in nominal terms, of course, none of that gold price malarkey) for her to be convinced :)

(We may see that happen in the next months, who knows how much more printy printy can be still done to keep the soufflé up)

(We may see that happen in the next months, who knows how much more printy printy can be still done to keep the soufflé up)

Quite a lot more by the looks of things....

Here Comes The Global, US-Funded Liquidity Bail Out

As expected, the Fed has just bailed out the world once again:

FED, ECB, BOJ, BOE, SNB, BANK OF CANADA LOWER SWAP RATES - BBG

ECB, FED other major central bank to lower the pricing of existing USD liquidity swaps by 50BPS

And as we have been writing every single day, the worldwide dollar crunch is now confirmed:

At present, there is no need to offer liquidity in non-domestic currencies other than the U.S. dollar

And finally, a promise to bailout Bank of America when it hits $4.00 again:

U.S. financial institutions currently do not face difficulty obtaining liquidity in short-term funding markets. However, were conditions to deteriorate, the Federal Reserve has a range of tools available to provide an effective liquidity backstop for such institutions and is prepared to use these tools as needed to support financial stability and to promote the extension of credit to U.S. households and businesses.

This means that the global situation is far, far more dire than the talking heads have said. Luckily, when this step fails, which it will, Mars can always come and bail us out.

Hmmm... the short term woman, not so easy to deal with.... :) Then my advice is go along with it, but I suspect you won't be able to find a house with that perfect balance of finish, space, location and community feel... All you've got to do is keep looking for something that doesn't exist... :D Good luck!

Ah yeah, but you see, that's all long term :) She wants hard evidence NOW. House prices must be going down at a 10% pcm rate (in nominal terms, of course, none of that gold price malarkey) for her to be convinced :)

Try this, Kapouille. When your searchng for property, draw her attention to/view houses that are slghtly above your price bracket, rather like when EA's always send details of properties that are more expensive than you stipulated.

She wlll quickly become disillusioned with property you can currently afford and you can then plant the seed along the lines of "Look what we could buy if we wait for prices to fall further/save a larger deposit etc"

If all else fails, send her over to HPC....if she still wants to buy after a few hours over there, you may as well throw in the towel. :D

Edit; Sorry, Warpig already suggested 'settng your sights too high'.

Try this, Kapouille. When your searchng for property, draw her attention to/view houses that are slghtly above your price bracket, rather like when EA's always send details of properties that are more expensive than you stipulated.

She wlll quickly become disillusioned with property you can currently afford and you can then plant the seed along the lines of "Look what we could buy if we wait for prices to fall further/save a larger deposit etc"

If all else fails, send her over to HPC....if she still wants to buy after a few hours over there, you may as well throw in the towel. :D

Edit; Sorry, Warpig already suggested 'settng your sights too high'.

Yes,

thankfully she is already doing that without even me suggesting! She's always up for maximising the expenditure, mind you :)

I'm lucky enough that we need to keep renting for now for at least 6 months for school catchment reasons (Or else we'd be buying a crappy place with a massive mortgage by now...). So I can still hang on to gold and silver and cross my fingers that the "big collapse" talked about in the other thread doesn't happen until then :( (I wouldn't mind if the 'big collapse' was accompanied by a 'even bigger collapse' in property, of course!)

Coeur would mull holding silver over cash, says CEO

TORONTO (miningweekly.com) – Idaho-based Coeur d’Alene Mines would at a future point consider holding some of its reserves in silver, as an alternative to keeping all of its money in the bank, CEO Mitchell Krebs told Mining Weekly Online on Wednesday.

The silver and gold miner will increase production “modestly” next year over 2011’s output, it added.

Sprott Asset Management CEO Eric Sprott and David Baker in a letter titled 'Silver Producers:

A Call to Action', the day before, floated the idea that, instead of selling all their product for cash to put in the bank, miners should retain some of their reserves in the precious metal.

Keep up the good work Eric...

A HEADS UP ! - for those who do not read my Beating B&H thread

Is SLV "abandoning" GLD at its highs... again ? / update : from-Mid-2010

Here's a chart looking at this over a longer term: ... LongerTerm-SLV

slog2b.png

It is hard to be bullish when you see a chart like this, and especially if you take notice of the very light volume on the latest rise.

Here's a chart looking at this over a longer term: ... LongerTerm-SLV

slog2b.png

It is hard to be bullish when you see a chart like this, and especially if you take notice of the very light volume on the latest rise.

"It is hard to be bullish, short term, when you see a chart like this, and especially if you take notice of the very light volume on the latest rise."

Corrected. :)

... when you look at a chart like this, ie, the longer term:

longsilver-2.png

"It is hard to be bullish, short term, when you see a chart like this, and especially if you take notice of the very light volume on the latest rise."

Corrected. :)

... when you look at a chart like this, ie, the longer term:

longsilver-2.png

TO me, that chart looks even worse - 3PDh. This is the chart I have been studying and I have a price target of 14.50 - 15.00

TO me, that chart looks even worse - 3PDh. This is the chart I have been studying and I have a price target of 14.50 - 15.00

How does the longer term look worse than the shorter term? The short term chart is saying hold off, and can be called bearish. The long term chart is saying hold off for now and buy on the consolidation... and is bullish. Don't you see on the face of it an upward trend... albeit a volatile one?

15 is possible again, on another round of forced liquidation akin to Lehmans, but is it probable? Of course, I guess it comes down to what your motive is for buying... whether it be to establish a position, to trade against dollars, or to trade a portion of an existing position.

$14-15? I would kill for those sort of prices. Physical demand would go through the roof.

i would not risk waiting until $15.00. i think anything below $20 would be a fantastic bargain. with my available funds i will do the following.

1/2 immediately at $20.00

the other half will be averaged in even cash amounts for two months except in the event the price goes to $16.00 at which i will go all in with what is left over.

in addition, in the event the price goes below $16.00 i will make use of a credit line available to me.