SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know Lauri - he has a good shop that I have used several times and he hasn't raised his prices. He does not appear to be restocking or reinvesting the profits. [we'll maybe because its hard to get stock]

well that was tempting fate wasn't it? :lol:

looks like the 1 oz coins have gone up a £1 per oz to £15 each.

mind you he's missed a price increase on the last 10 oz australian ox so i've just bought it. so hands off!

expect the price of silver to tank next week then... :P

well that was tempting fate wasn't it? :lol:

looks like the 1 oz coins have gone up a £1 per oz to £15 each.

mind you he's missed a price increase on the last 10 oz australian ox so i've just bought it. so hands off!

expect the price of silver to tank next week then... :P

Good to see some new stock :)

I was a little worried when I saw the coins running out

http://www.airedalecoins.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=58

Since my recent purchase of silver Phillies from coininvestdirect the metal's spot price has gone up 10% but the coins' netto price only 5%. Does anyone here track the relative prices? I'm wondering if the markup might represent lower purchases at this price, perhaps cid will hike the prices soon, or perhaps they hiked just before I bought.

Silver/Gold Ratio Reversion - Adam Hamilton, Zeal Intelligence LLC

While wreaking its unbelievable destruction, last quarter’s financial-market panic certainly showed no favoritism. Launching from ground zero in the financial stocks, shockwaves of selling blasted out through the entire market landscape. Everything speculators once loved was left in ruins, including silver.

Back in July 2008 when the financial markets remained oblivious to the tsunami of fear approaching, silver averaged $18.07 on close. But by November when popular stock-market fear reached a fever pitch, silver only averaged $9.81. A 45.7% loss on the monthly averages, not merely the extremes, in just 4 months was enough to test the faith of even the most dedicated long-term silver bull.

But even at the very bottom when things looked the bleakest, it was clear silver’s extreme lows were anomalous and not sustainable. The day after silver’s $8.92 closing nadir on November 20th (not coincidently the very day the general stock markets bottomed too), I published an essay called “Silver in Crisis”. The conclusion was silver’s selling was way overdone. So we were buying ridiculously-oversold silver stocks at the time.

One new long-term elite silver-stock investment we made in Zeal Intelligence in November in the heart of the panic was already up 81.9% as of this week. It pays big to be a contrarian and be brave when everyone else is afraid. Indeed, since those depths silver has strengthened considerably. Over the past week it has averaged $12.46, 34.1% higher than its average $9.29 close in the week leading to its panic low.

Zeal020609A.gif

Does anyone want 3kg of Pre 1947 silver coins?

I bought a load of silver coins from an antique dealer in Nantwich. He’s got some more for sale. I’m not buying them because my collection is complete.

He charges just below spot silver price. 95 Troy ounces of coins for £400 (47.5 Troy ounces of silver). +£20 for postage

PM me if you are interested I will pass on details.

Note, he’s no friend of mine, any deal you do is between you and him. I have bought from him before and I am happy with my coins.

Does anyone want 3kg of Pre 1947 silver coins?

Hey Ziknik. Yes, I am interested. I would prefer a higher silver content, but the premiums may just never go down again. Please send me the details, maybe I'll buy a pack. I have too much 'cash' sitting in this RBS account. :lol: :lol: :unsure:

But who has pre 1920 at spot?

Do you know you can buy scrap silver coins for less than spot on ebay? I have bought a few kilos.

Usually, the smaller sized packs go for around spot price, but using this https://www.myibay.com/ you can get them under spot sometimes including the postage

I've been buying for upto a 50% (off spot) discount. I've received 100s of packages with 3-5 coins over the last month. Sunday is the best day.

The bigger packages 1kg+ tend to attract a lot of attention, so these rarley go for less than spot, but they are still worth a shot with https://www.myibay.com/ (it's free. download the free Firefox or Opera plugin).

This is a keeper.

Long-Term Trend in Investment Demand for Silver

http://seekingalpha.com/article/119033-lon...ver?source=feed

In a previous post, I reviewed the amount of silver bullion sold by the United States Mint during 2008. With this post, I will take a longer term look at silver demand, which highlights the absolute explosion in demand which has occurred in recent years.

The supporting data for the charts included with this post comes from a new section of Gold and Silver Blog which collects the US Mint Silver Bullion Sales data since the inception of the program in 1986. You can visit the page to find the monthly sales figures for any date from 1986 to present. The section also calculates the approximate silver bullion value of each period’s sales based on the average monthly price of silver.

I am prepared to pay spot + 10% on pre 1920 'scrap' (and have been doing so up until a few months ago). Certainly cheaper than spot + VAT + dealer commissions

We shall monitor this lot to see the %over spot - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCRAP-SILVER-COINS-9...%3A1|240%3A1318

There are two big foreign coins in the centre of the photo.

One coin has a ring through it, at the top of the image. The ring is probably silver or silver plated, but might not be.

And there’s a big clasp at the left side of the image.

I would bid spot -10% for this lot.

(I know I probably wouldn’t win it)

There are two big foreign coins in the centre of the photo.

One coin has a ring through it, at the top of the image. The ring is probably silver or silver plated, but might not be.

And there’s a big clasp at the left side of the image.

I would bid spot -10% for this lot.

(I know I probably wouldn’t win it)

point taken - perhaps not the best example, but it was close to hand this am and i was rushing. Needless to say, it almost certainly will not sell for anything less than spot.

There is some numismatic market for low grade pre-1920 sterling. Out of the pre-20 bundles I have bought, I have sold a few worn george III / vict. crowns and gothic florins etc. well above spot, hence bringing down the overall costs of my purchases. Basically, the bottom line for me is that I am fed up paying exorbitant VAT (in the UK) and dealer commissions and have ventured down a different path in addition to buying mint bullion

point taken - perhaps not the best example, but it was close to hand this am and i was rushing. Needless to say, it almost certainly will not sell for anything less than spot.

There is some numismatic market for low grade pre-1920 sterling. Out of the pre-20 bundles I have bought, I have sold a few worn george III / vict. crowns and gothic florins etc. well above spot, hence bringing down the overall costs of my purchases. Basically, the bottom line for me is that I am fed up paying exorbitant VAT (in the UK) and dealer commissions and have ventured down a different path in addition to buying mint bullion

I hope you are right. I bought more scrap coins than I really want in a buying frenzy.

I'm planning to put all my Pre 1920 coins on ebay. I'm going to put all the money I raise in to goldmoney silver.

I only want to keep my core holding of silver in my possession. Right now all my secret hiding places are overflowing because I’ve got too many coins. I’ve had to move about 30% of my stash to my mum’s house for safe keeping.

I’ve decided not to sell my oversupply of Pre 1947 yet because these still sell under spot (sometimes) on ebay and I don’t want to release them for a potential loss.

I don’t think it will be long before Pre 1947 are selling for a premium on ebay. Some of the bigger packs sell comfortably for spot +30%.

According to the monthly CFTC Bank Participation in Futures and Options Market report released Friday, February 6, two large reporting U.S. banks held zero long and 27,189 short futures positions in COMEX silver futures as of February 3.

All commercial traders as a group held a net short silver position of 33,173 contracts that same day.

http://www.stockhouse.com/Columnists/2009/...-silver--Got-Go

http://www.cftc.gov/marketreports/bankpart...ation/index.htm