The Best of Youtube - Music

Sold.

I was going to see them at the end of May, but something got in the way. I'm envious... :D

Just spent a pleasant evening in the company of SR and friends watching the heritage orchestra play with UNKLE. Fantastic evening .

Some hightlights from one they made earlier .....................

The new material sat in nicely too. If they start touring this gig I recommend it otherwise I think I may have just seen a lucky one off.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to post anymore UNKLE videos in this thread because to be fair, it's been pretty much saturated with them. But just a little bit on the evening’s entertainment.

They screwed up Lonely soul, It sounded like James was possibly having trouble with either a mic or maybe a vocoder as he was actually singing, but I'm sure the orchestra finished it far to early...... you know the part where the song breaks down to pure strings, if my memory recalls I'm sure they totally missed it out and went straight to the end. So after "having a brief chat" between I think it was the conductor and James Lavelle they performed it a second time.

On the second time around that part with the strings resonated right through me, it was beautiful. A true highlight of the evening.

They had some technical problems during the event, Feedback from mics on one of the first pieces did effect the performance, I'm sure at one stage there was a "broken connection" feedback sound that was heard, but to be fair I think James got away with it, maybe calling on a bit of DJ skill as the noise replicated within 4 bars at the same place within it to sit nicely in with the music.

The best bit really was the encore, due to a real strange mix of people (and i do mean a real melting pot here) you could tell that some just wanted to dance, others just wanted to sit. If you remember the Portishead live at NYC at the end of the set, it had very similar feel to it, it's hard to dance in a seated theatre. The encore was a heavier up-tempo version of Reign. And credit to the drummer, he did a fine job.

All in all, a fantastic evenings entertainment. a very hard event to pull off.......... and I think that they did. Although they could put just a little extra shine on it, I'm sure James Lavelle still has the telephone numbers of both Thom Yorke and Richard Ashcroft in his little black book.

............. and who knows maybe instead of a pub the next GEI meet could be held alongside an orchestra...... that might be interesting - lol

:)

Don't worry about it, if they spark an emotional response post it.

Thanks for the review BTW.

Thanks Warpig,

In that case, to say it provoked an emotional response within myself I would most certainly agree, it was quite hot in there so that tear from an eye could well have been lost if one was wiping their brow.

For anyone not familiar with the song and just wants to get a feel for what I'm talking about, skip to 5mins, but to be fair...... I think this song is worthy of 10mins of anyone’s time.

ps.... and the elation from the crowd when the drums kicked back in, many people even stood applauding.

Don't worry about it, if they spark an emotional response post it.

I would agree with that

The thread is about sharing musical tastes but its also about self undulgence!

FWIW, i had never heard of Unkle before reading this thread, but one of the best tracks on here is the Ian Brown/Unkle - Reign that you posted

So SR.......post away! :-)

The thread is about sharing musical tastes but its also about self undulgence!

Just watched these and a few others on this thread..... just set me up nicely for the day.

love the video on this, takes me right "back in the day"

James Lavelle remix (aka Unkle)

Now this is more like it!

I was never really a fan of Ian Brown until I heard the Unkle stuff many years back, the two together have done some fantastic music, F.E.A.R. is probably his very best piece in my humble opinion.

theres also an Unkle mix of it....

Joy division, Dirty Vegas and Big Country. 3 in a row that i loved, beginning to notice similar taste to you D.A keep it up, you're doing well to stir my gig memories.

Having seen Big Country back Queen and Bowie at big gigs, nothing beat seeing them 10ft away in a small crowd of a few hundred one night in Hanley,Stoke.

Can I offer as my live audience participation goosebump track

I was never really a fan of Ian Brown until I heard the Unkle stuff many years back, the two together have done some fantastic music, F.E.A.R. is probably his very best piece in my humble opinion.

theres also an Unkle mix of it....

Same here. He was never on my radar for along time. I have actually seen him about 3 times at Reading/Leeds and the thing about him is that he could stand on stage and do the most ridiculous dance routine and still look cool! :D

Joy division, Dirty Vegas and Big Country. 3 in a row that i loved, beginning to notice similar taste to you D.A keep it up, you're doing well to stir my gig memories.

Having seen Big Country back Queen and Bowie at big gigs, nothing beat seeing them 10ft away in a small crowd of a few hundred one night in Hanley,Stoke.

Can I offer as my live audience participation goosebump track

nice

i never saw them or Joy Division, but managed to see New Order after they released technique - brilliant! even though Hooky tried to set fire to his bass with lighter fluid afterwards :blink:

two golden oldies

ELO (I just love ELO) - When its summer and feeling good

VS

Queen

Queen wins for me, though ELO did have a rather revolutionary spaceship. Check out some youtube performances of Jeff and the boys from the early days, weird hair and sideboards or what :lol:

It was thanks to your posts that I posted them. They got me in the mood/zone and sent me off on an evening's journey tbh. Ended up watching this ...........................

A bit musical, a bit philosophical, a bit bloody weird to be honest. First part above but the whole movie can be viewed in 8 parts.