The BP thread

sold half of my BP July calls today for a 50%-plus profit

those that bought with BP at $59 (see last post), would have done far better.

Today's price for BP: $ 65.73 + $1.03

i hope some of our regular GEI readers, and CW-radio listeners benefitted from these trades

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr Bubb, I took your and the threads advise and bought quite a few BP Shares for the longer term but also I have a number of small onrunning spreadbets.

I think its a little early to close them....I believe that the Shares may reach 600 in the not too distant future.

Thanks for your opinion on this

notice i owned options ($-strike options, as recommended), and that i sold half.

this makes my virtually "bulletproof" on what i have left, and gives me some firepower to buy more, if BP dips.

And i do expect a pullback from these levels

haha- look at this...

I just applied my "golden inflection point" (GIP) framework to BP - us quote.

look what it shows:

bigmt7.gif

makes it look easy-peasy, yes?

==

see: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=1777

• 1 month later...

Thought this thread needed bringing back to life given there has been a bit of movement in the BP price and the gay lord has now departed.

Since the March 9 post above the following has happened:

BGY up 36% :D

BP up 11% :)

JRIC up down 3% :blink:

JRIC was sold yesterday.

Not sure what to do with BGY and BP.

Take some quick profits or keep holding ?

Thought this thread needed bringing back to life given there has been a bit of movement in the BP price and the gay lord has now departed.

Since the March 9 post above the following has happened:

BGY up 36% :D

BP up 11% :)

JRIC up down 3% :blink:

JRIC was sold yesterday.

Not sure what to do with BGY and BP.

Take some quick profits or keep holding ?

Well, there might be more to come on BP. The bull market loves having M&A rumours even if most come to nothing. Read this from one market report today.

Elsewhere among FTSE constituents, oil majors were in demand as speculation persisted that Shell (RDSB) and BP (BP.) were considering a tie-up. The rumours helped shares in both companies gain ground, with Royal Dutch shell closing 47p higher at 1,906p as BP finished the day 11.5p better at 582p.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really see the logic in a Shell/BP tie up.

What is there to gain,particularly for BP ? Its not massive liquid reserves. They would probably be better taking out one of the smaller exploration companies.

For me ,price wise, I think BP is still attractive. It has a reasonably good spread of reserves and competive input into new energy technology. The price being roughly on a PE of 10,with a reasonable dividend yield whilst still with the potential to benefit from any early 'peak oil' or political shocks then where is the downside for the price ?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't really see the logic in a Shell/BP tie up.

What is there to gain,particularly for BP ? Its not massive liquid reserves. They would probably be better taking out one of the smaller exploration companies.

Much has, understandably, been discussed with regards to reserves. That should not detract from the bigger picture of two integrated oil companies.

Those who work within the industry may well prompt you to take a look at BP's operational (with a focus on safety / environmental / reliability) vs. that of Shell's. (Both upstream and downstream parts of the business).

• 1 month later...
BP been falling back again, now 554.

and cheap enough to merit a closer look

BP- $ quote ... update

bigta6.gif

Here's a comparison: BP versus US crude oil (USO)

biggy1.gif

and a Ratio: BP/WTIC

bptowticbi9.png

BOT some Sep.2007 calls (in-the-money):

Symbol -BPIL

Description CALL BP PLC SEP 60

Action Buy to Open Call

Quantity 10 Contracts

Route INTERACTIVE BROKERS L.L.C.

OType Limit at $7.20

• 1 month later...
In contrast to the thread title are we near another BP sell point ?

Bought at 536 on 13 Aug. Currently 592.

BP has been struggling to stay above 600 this year and oil is at an all time high.

Good point.

I'm out already with a nice profit on my calls.

There are cheap oil plays out there, like PWI

In contrast to the thread title are we near another BP sell point ?

Bought at 536 on 13 Aug. Currently 592.

BP has been struggling to stay above 600 this year and oil is at an all time high.

Things could be about to get shaky for BP if the closing market report's tonight are anything to go by.

Digital Look

BP also sank as boss Tony Hayward said third quarter revenue will be “dreadful”. He made the comments to employees in Houston, according to a report in the Financial Times. He is also said to have called it the worst performance since the early 1990s.

ADVFN

Elsewhere, BP slid 17 pence to 572-1/2 after the British energy giant's chief executive Tony Hayward told a meeting of BP employees in Houston the company's third-quarter revenue is set to be "dreadful", the Financial Times reported on Tuesday.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
BP should announce dreadful quarterly results more often. It is up about 55p since it made that statement, today 8-1/2 pence higher at 627-1/2. Has to be a correction coming once oil falls back.

Once again BP has fallen back and is 8% down on the year, perhaps time for another bounce on the back of long term production commitments until 2020?

Any views looks another rise on the cards?

Riggers

• 3 weeks later...
BP less than 5 GBP again.

Could go even lower if Russia tries to take back TKN-BP but anywhere < 5GBP is a good long term bet IMHO.

Seems to regularly trade between £5 and £6. It does look cheap, but do we know how much BP stands to lose if Russia carries on playing games over energy?

Now just above £5.00, looks cheap to me, but the news out of Russia is still a negative. Near its year low though and some way off its high. Anyone would have thought that oil is $40 a barrel looking at BP's share price.

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese fund builds up £1bn stake in BP

Last Updated: 2:23am BST 15/04/2008

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../15/cnbp115.xml

Beijing's share-buying in Britain's largest company, which has so far reached nearly 1pc, is being closely watched by Downing Street. Katherine Griffiths reports

A Chinese sovereign wealth fund has built up a stake of about £1bn in BP, in a move which has caused a stir within the British Government.

The sovereign fund is understood to have quietly acquired the shares in the market over a period. It has accumulated just under 1pc of BP, which is the UK's largest company with a capitalisation of £104bn.

A BP spokesman said: "We are aware of the Chinese holding and we welcome all shareholders."

The Chinese fund has also built up a stake in France's oil giant Total worth about £1bn.

Not only have the Chinese been buying BP recently, they have been buying back their own shares.

This week BP bought back for cancellation 2,600,000 ordinary shares at prices between 558.00 pence and 561.60 pence per share.

• 1 month later...

I have been holding about 7K worth of BP shares for about a year now. Considering these facts

Price of oil going through the roof

BP buying back shares

Loads of cash

Troubles re Texas refinery settling down and largly accounted for in balance sheet

Why on earth is BP not rising?

Any clues?

I have been holding about 7K worth of BP shares for about a year now. Considering these facts

Price of oil going through the roof

BP buying back shares

Loads of cash

Troubles re Texas refinery settling down and largly accounted for in balance sheet

Why on earth is BP not rising?

Any clues?

It has had a good run recently, I sold out too soon, I doubt there is anything to be concerned about but often it takes a while for the market to come around to your way of thinking.

Archived