goldfinger,

what's that site that you post purely on metals please ? mainly on gold obviously. :rolleyes:

I joined a long time ago under my usual username, but can't remember the site.

I have a big decision to make very, very soon & really need to take my knowledge up a lot of levels.

thanks

GOM. :)

Sounds like you're looking for goldismoney.info ?

http://goldismoney.info/forums/index.php

Axstone's thread is one of the most popular and usually has some good posts.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

On reflection wren, mainly irritation with self I think.

The times when I have not been confident & self-assured have been rare this lifetime, but now I'm playing a game with those who have no morality except the one they make up for the moment. They are interfering with my retirement & I resent every second of it.

I live a simple life so I don't need the money, but these folk are getting to me & without you guys I'd be lost & I'm just not used to that feeling.

I should learn to be a chartist & leave the emotion out of it I guess, but ..... :)

I keep meaning to study silver more & play this ratio game, but nothing really compares with a cheap hut in the sun & 4 acres to play in for 'survival'.

Remember in the long run those who hold the gold make the rules.

I don't know for sure how long you have been invested in gold. But remember that after the peak in May '06 there was a long 18-month period of correction and sideways movement well below the previous peak. We are still in that sort of correction from the March '08 peak.

I expect the coming winter to be good for gold. Even last year when in Oct and Nov I thought it might be a down-year in USD, in the end it was an up-year although only 3% or so. But it was up a lot more in GBP and EUR.

The wildness and uncertainty shake out the weak hands.

If you don't need the cash badly I'd say stay in gold or at least keep half of it if you want a long term investment.

Silver is even wilder and not for money you might need, say, within 2 or 3 years. Long term I expect silver to do well, quite possibly better than gold. The ratio of silver to gold in the Earth's crust is about 15:1. In the very long run I expect the gold/silver ratio to go below 20.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's Clint getting 200,000 dollars in gold. I estimate that at USD 20.67 (the pre-1933 rate) that's about 9676 ounces or the weight of about 4 people. I wonder whether they used real gold in the movie? probably lead.

I've always loved the music in this.

"There's two kinds of people in the world: those with loaded guns, and those who dig." :D

goldfinger,

what's that site that you post purely on metals please ? mainly on gold obviously. :rolleyes:

I joined a long time ago under my usual username, but can't remember the site.

I have a big decision to make very, very soon & really need to take my knowledge up a lot of levels.

thanks

GOM. :)

Sounds like you need an iphone and a password safe. I thought they were mainly for remembering website passwords. You old folk can use them to remember what websites you joined, where you put your car keys, your car...

got me some catching up to do....

anyone heard from Pluto lately ?? is he still posting ?

I havent seen pluto for ages, or cgnao. They will be back once the eye of the storm passes, I think.

I have just moved house too grumps. Sold 2007, rented a relatives holiday home for 2 years and now renting a fab place in the country for a bargain price. I may live here for many years and buy a place one day just to rent out and help me pay my rent.

On reflection wren, mainly irritation with self I think.

The times when I have not been confident & self-assured have been rare this lifetime, but now I'm playing a game with those who have no morality except the one they make up for the moment. They are interfering with my retirement & I resent every second of it.

I live a simple life so I don't need the money, but these folk are getting to me & without you guys I'd be lost & I'm just not used to that feeling.

I should learn to be a chartist & leave the emotion out of it I guess, but ..... :)

I keep meaning to study silver more & play this ratio game, but nothing really compares with a cheap hut in the sun & 4 acres to play in for 'survival'.

I'm in a similar position to you - but without the self-doubt! - just try to keep the faith. Forget about PMs for a while; switch off the PC for a week. I guarantee your confidence will come back. All this daily noise drives most people nuts so don't pay attention to it. I'll leave you with a final quote from argubly the greatest of all financial traders Jesse Livermore. Read this, or even better post it on your wall, before pressing the sell button:

“And right here let me say one thing: After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight! It is no trick at all to be right on the market. You always find lots of early bulls in bull markets and early bears in bear markets. I’ve known many men who were right at exactly the right time, and began buying and selling stocks when prices were at the very level which should show the greatest profit. And their experience invariably matched mine – that is, they made no real money out of it. Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon. I found it one of the hardest things to learn. But it is only after a stock operator has firmly grasped this that he can make big money. It is literally true that millions come easier to a trader after he knows how to trade than hundreds did in the days of his ignorance.”

If this is true, it's utterly shocking....

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=394000

Be careful with that, however. I was just in Switzerland last week, and they have gone from simply discouraging Americans to unilaterally closing accounts held by Americans (unless you also live in Switzerland and are a resident of the country). They’re sending checks to last known addresses, so you can’t have a dormant account anymore, like in the old days.

And it’s even worse; if you’re an American with a safe deposit box in

Switzerland, watch out, because they are closing those as well. If they can’t find you, some of the banks are opening the boxes and removing the contents. They set the stuff aside somewhere, not in a safe deposit box anymore.

If this is true, it's utterly shocking....

http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=394000

this is what was concerning me about owning a property abroad tbh (france in my case). I remember discussing this with a few posters in 2007/8 & this got me thinking as to what to do. Part of me wanted to leave the property because it offered a safe haven in case it goes mad max (which I think it might) & because it had some land & fruit trees/well etc. Then I thought what if government legislation changed & attacked foriegn property owners imposing new laws regulations etc. Ok, it's not Spain (as in demolish your house type scenario) but unprecendented times worry me. So we have sold our French house & now I am in exactly the position that I didn't want to be.

It's not a huge amount by some of your standards (as in GEI posters), so now I am thinking 80% in gold/silver (with a 80/20 split off the top of my head)

The added problem I have is when to change my euros to sterling & buy pm's ?? I am hoping mr parity makes an appearance very soon (or below would be fantastic, but I don't fancy F5 every 20 seconds :rolleyes: )

can I forward book a .85 rate :lol: :lol:

GOP, this site is sometimes useful, but GEI has much better quality posts/posters.

Good luck with your decision. I am in the middle of making one too. :)

cheers Goldfinger, I might stick with GEI, I'm sure Dr Bubb et all, will love to have me back. Perhaps they might even ask me to become an admin. :D

good luck with yours also. :)

The problem is I will need access to most of the kitty within 3 years, or it will mean me taking out a big mortgage to buy somewhere.

The added problem I have is when to change my euros to sterling & buy pm's ?? I am hoping mr parity makes an appearance very soon (or below would be fantastic, but I don't fancy F5 every 20 seconds :rolleyes: )

Why not make use of GoldMoney? That way you can keep a variety of currencies and buy when it suits you.

Why not make use of GoldMoney? That way you can keep a variety of currencies and buy when it suits you.

hey RH,

what if that link that Wren posted applies to Jersey next though ? surely TPTB would target these types of holdings first, then overseas normal currency accounts next??

cheers though.

I don't really have a good understanding of this area tbh.

I like to keep things as simple as poss, as it's not a strong area for me right now.

also, what about the euro-sterling parity rate ? how would this affect any currency held under a goldmoney account ?

I think Sterling was overvalued for several years and has now corrected. The Eurozone has very serious problems itself so I wouldn't expect GBP and EUR to go to parity due to the Eurozone faring better at least.

Do you have to change currencies or could you buy your metals with euros? (might save some fees). As mentioned before at GoldMoney you can swap between currencies and withdraw cash to more than one bank (unlike BullionVault).

Assuming you believe that the long-term fundamentals for gold are good this summer looks like a fair buying opportunity. If I had no gold I would average in between now and early or mid September. Basically because short-term I'm never confident that it will go up or down.

I am averaging into silver until mid-September at the current rate of cash burn. I already have most of the gold that I will ever buy but have kept some sideline cash hoping for a dip down to EUR 600 this summer but I am not so confident that we'll get down that low.