Dont forget to take your tablets Swampy, theres a good chap. :P

Im all in and did so in one hit. Had I of averaged in, I would have had some cash to buy on the big dip in 2008 but I would only have been a bit up compared to when I did buy. Im up now mainly due to GBP falling. If you had no gold & silver would you go all in now?

Yer, I think I still would actually!

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

As for all in, I am not alone, just one of many folks that bought in at $625 or less and are totally protected, rather than gambler idiots waiting and waiting and hoping and waiting for an entry point that passed them by many many many moons ago!!! You will be the only moron going whipsawed broke in the biggest secular bull market in your lifetime!!! That really take some doing but you are half way there already!!! :lol::lol::lol:

You can include me in your camp :)

What's with the insults? Come on now - do you really think it is OK to insult people? Is that really normal behaviour? Be honest with yourself. Seriously.

Back on topic:

For the record, even though I'm essentially "100%" in metals (all my savings) I don't think that will be truly enough to fully protect yourself. Getting completely out of debt and living in a relative safe environment is higher on the list of priorities than metals. What good is a few krugs when your life is in danger? Saying that, PMs sure does make getting out of dodge a lot easier for some rather than others. I would agree with you on trading - too many potential black swans to make the "profits" worth it. I'm not greedy. In fact, I'm not even buying PMs these days because I'd rather spend some fiat on aquiring more land (recently been checking-out some forestry). But to each their own.

I am a bit confused by your post fortune you say you are 100% in metals but dont think that will be enough to fully protect yourself.You then imply if i am reading it correctly that you are still in debt and wanting to live in a safe enviroment which are of a higher priority than owning metals.?? :blink:

Im sure Romans Holiday is capable of defending himself, but in support of him (as you unfairly have singled him out for a swampy attack (because you forgot the pills))......

He has much of his wealth in PMs and still has some cash in currencies and is considering buying more if there is a further fall in price. We are of the same mind but you are looking at the tiny difference between us. Go and terrorize realist bear if you want a fight!

Romans holiday is a smart guy and his views have shown a high level of wisdom in these times. The fact that he has not been offended by your extreme behaviour (which I find entertaining BTW) is a credit to him.

You remind me of my father in law who is a religious bigot.(Except I do not like him) He is definatly right and everyone else is wrong. Only the future will prove you correct or wrong. If Romans Holiday does better out of his patience then he will have proved you wrong. If Gold tanks then he will have been less wrong than you.

So there :P

Blimey, hes really got under your skin. :rolleyes:

Big T did well to sell out last spring, but we only know that now. Romans Holiday might do well to hold out for further dips, but we won't know that until later. I do not have the patience or the cool headedness so all in and sit tight is my plan. I sold 2kg once and crapped myself into panicing back in at a loss, even though I would have done Ok had I just waited a bit. We might be wrong though. No one here will tell a newbee to put all their money into gold as its a one way bet. (anyone dispute this?)

Big T did well to sell out last spring, but we only know that now.

Yes - at GBP 660, having doubled my investment [he said smugly] :) ...but perhaps just an educated guess, and also driven by other plans for the money.

I've since put 50% of the money into property, 10% back into gold (at GBP 570) and am taking on a substantial GBP mortgage (long term, offset - so can reduce payments with the remaining cash). This way, if/when gold tanks down to GBP 500-550 again (not at all impossible over next 6-12 months) I will put the remaining 40% back into gold. If not, then I've got property and a lovely big mortgage that will become steadily eliminated by the oncoming high inflation. Win-win.

It's all there, you just have to look it up:

Thanks

My take on it is that the PoG increase in the early 70's was due to coming off the gold standard, and the brief spike around 1980 was due to high inflation coincident with someone trying to corner the silver market.

In short, gold has on average kept its value over long time frame, and can spike up dramatically when inflation goes very high.

Trouble is we do not have very high inflation in the near term.

The following in from Clif at www.halfpasthuman.com on Saturday - changes somewhat our expectation for the way things will be working out both in markets and in the defense world over the next month:

Thanks for posting, interesting to see how the data changes as we get closer to the date. Previously he was talking about the 25th being either Israel bombing Iran or swine flu escalating.

Glad I haven't got any dollars :)

Hardly 'uhinged', or a tin foil hat wearing loony (per your Telegraph web bot article posting), or an idiot (as you pointed out a page back). Perhaps Fortune will see that this is not all one sided. As for GREED again, you are fooling no one, and I certainly DO NOT miss the point - rather, you do, and have shot yourself in the foot with your very own statements. The only other moron I know who keeps banging on about prudence is Gordon Brown, the man who announced he was selling all our gold IN ADVANCE so that the vultures waiting to buy would get it at the cheapest possible price, the incompetent who single-handedly bigged up the city and housing bubble since he arrived (unelected) and who has bankrupted the UK for generations to come. Getting back to GREED, you epitomise that ideal of yours. Why? Because you are speculating (gambling), as you said yourself, some 30 per cent of your net worth in currency dabbling, whilst waiting for the ideal entry point to go 'all in' - surely that is just being GREEDY, rather than PRUDENT, is it not? Trying to wring out the very last drop of profit, rather than being PRUDENT and protecting yourself while you have the chance? Article after article and hint after hint is coming from the IMF and UN and people like Greenspan and Stiglitz about a new currency or basket of currencies or other medium to replace the dollar. When this happens it will be a fait accompli, just like 911 or the fall of the Berlin Wall, and you will be paralysed, unable to move. And if you are in cash, as I pointed out before, you will be SOOL. You will have missed your (as Casteneda termed it in 'Journey to Ixtlan') cubic centimeter of chance:

'There is something you ought to be aware of by now. I call it the cubic centimeter of chance. All of us, whether or not we are warriors, have a cubic centimeter of chance that pops out in front of our eyes from time to time. The difference between an average man and a warrior is that the warrior is aware of this, and one of his tasks is to be alert, deliberately waiting, so that when his cubic centimeter pops out he has the necessary speed, the prowess to pick it up. Chance, good luck, personal power, or whatever you may call it, is a peculiar state of affairs. It is like a very small stick that comes out in front of us and invites us to pluck it. Usually we are too busy, or too preoccupied, or just too stupid and lazy to realize that that is our cubic centimeter of luck. A warrior, on the other hand, is always alert and tight and has the spring, the gumption necessary to grab it.'

No mate, you are by nature a gambler, and even when/if you get in at what you think is a good price (and you MAY have missed the train already), you will always be looking for ways to mess up, to sell and re-buy, thus eking out your Holy Grail of more toilet paper 'profit' - that is the route to bankruptcy, because by so doing you will eventually fubar completely and spectacularly!

Give my regards to your boss, btw! :lol:

slide1.jpg

boredom.jpg

Wow! Miss a few days on here and you miss a LOT of action.

I think it would be worth remembering we are all by and large on the same team here. It seems odd to be mud slinging over ways to profit or survive when one agrees on the very principle of PM's.

This months thread started off very seriously and had lots of good info IMO but we have been diverted by a bit of bickering and some frothing humour (some of which I has had me laughing my head off at times).

Let's not ruin the theme though or chase anyone away. We all may have strong opinions about our methods/times of buying etc... Lets respect that and remember the information helps everyone come to their own opinion.

All for one and one for all, and all that.

CD's signiture quote: 'I disagree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it', has always been a favourite of mine. Lets keep that spirit alive and well here.

Good luck to everyone and looking forward to a new thread this month.

Thanks to those who emailed me about Ascot. I know the company and own shares.

I have also participated in this deal.

On the upside you are buying gold at 20% discount. On the downside, there is a problem with one of their mines and they are late on delivery, or, worst possible, the company falls apart and you lose everything. That is the gamble.

Ascot Mining PLC - Chassoul Mill Commissioned - GOLD PRODUCTION BEGINS - http://www.kitco.com/pr/1120/article_10032009105022.pdf

The deal: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5919caca-9979-11...144feabdc0.html

Ascot Mining is offering investors a special deal on gold as part of its attempts to expand its mining production. Investors willing to buy at least 10 ounces can buy at 20 per cent less than the market price, with gold delivery 12-18 months later.

http://www.ascotmining.com/

Good summary of the current technical stuff including COT here from Clive Maund:

Gold and Silver Update 4 October

He also considers a variety of scenarios on the inflation/hyper and deflation front, and what gold and silver may predict in this regard.

Defo worth a read. Charts very intriguing.

'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.'

Nice comeback (not). Shame you didn't address in detail any of the points of criticism I have with your game plan ref your gambling, greed and prudence.

I can only conclude that you agree with my analysis! :lol:

PS

Give my regards to Mini-Kim! :lol:

I didn't bother as you obviously seemed unable to comprehend the original post on greed. I'll post it again for you here. Have another read, and try to pay attention. If you still do not get it, I certainly will not be bothering to reply to any more of your posts.

Some good points Fortune. I wonder about the greed thing though. Wouldn't you agree that some who rush into 100% bullion could themselves be [motivated by greed] greedy [not referring to yourself of course]... and those that restrain from this "all in" approach could have this emotion in check. What I am getting at is that no position has a monopoly on greed.... the opposite could be well argued where a cautious sober minded person chooses to keep their powder dry not because they are greedy for lower prices but because they are simply being prudent.

Also, the "all in" crowd often resort to "tptb" to explain why the price does not rocket to the moon, and why there are frequent "smackdowns". The obvious question is that if they believe this then why don't they keep some serious powder dry for the big "smackdowns". Pretty obvious who the morons are here.

Don't post it again, highly EDITED and with [bRACKETS]. I can read, as can everyone on this forum. Reply to my deconstruction of your post here

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....588&st=1280

pointing out your inconsistencies, then we can get this over with and move on.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

FWIW I find all the photographs on this thread tedious and lower the level of debate. Just my view. I hope we don't get lots of personal arguments between posters contaminating what is otherwise a great forum.

I'm back in the UK soon and will inspect my sovs from CID. Has anyone here ever got a dud one (fake) from CID? I did contemplate getting a FIsch coin checker but they are out of stok at moment it would appear. Any clues on how else to check a sov? Or are CID so reliable I don't need to worry?

FWIW I find all the photographs on this thread tedious and lower the level of debate. Just my view. I hope we don't get lots of personal arguments between posters contaminating what is otherwise a great forum.

I'm back in the UK soon and will inspect my sovs from CID. Has anyone here ever got a dud one (fake) from CID? I did contemplate getting a FIsch coin checker but they are out of stok at moment it would appear. Any clues on how else to check a sov? Or are CID so reliable I don't need to worry?

Hi Wanderer, check out the Short Guide to Buying Coins thread http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....ost&p=49117