• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Thu Jul 24 17:12:25 UTC 2008

Most probably we just saw the bottom.

I'd agree. Though there could be a very transient dip in price tomorrow, and I've decided that if this involves silver going below 17 then I'll buy some. ...and I'm very demanding for how low things should be before I buy.

Would anyone like to guess who made this prediction 6 months ago?

Jan 21 2008, 06:03 PM)

I am going to go out on a bit of a limb here,
but I honestly think Gold will be sub-$500 within 6 months

10% of the bad news with regard to credit markets is out. IMO, we are looking at around $6 trillion of write-downs worldwide that are connected to the housing market. If banks start to fail a la NR we could be looking at a lot more than that. China is in a lot of trouble and demand from that area will collapse in the next few months sending commodity prices down with them. Unemployment will pick up very quickly this Spring as businesses start to close and cost cotting begins in earnest. It reads deflation. The place to be when deflation is endemic and recession is widespread is US Treasuries and perhaps Swissies and Yen to a lesser extent. Risky bets such as gold will fall as the flight to safety will be predicated upon deflationary pressures. Gold is an inflationary hedge and driven almost solely by sentiment and fear of inflation. That phase of the market is over.

Nothing goes on rising for ever. Its all cyclical and gold has had a good run. There comes a point when taking profits is wise. As Warren B says--get out while the herd are still rushing in. Not every drop is a buying opportunity otherwise nothing would ever drop.

The black stuff beat the market today. I got out at 4.99 but its still an alluring bet:

UK COAL (LSE:UKC.L)

Last Trade: 389.75 p

Trade Time: 4:35PM

Change: 5.75 (1.50%)

Prev Close: 384.00

Open: 376.00

Bid: 389.50

Ask: 390.00

1y Target Est: 630.00p

10% of the bad news with regard to credit markets is out. IMO, we are looking at around $6 trillion of write-downs worldwide that are connected to the housing market. If banks start to fail a la NR we could be looking at a lot more than that. China is in a lot of trouble and demand from that area will collapse in the next few months sending commodity prices down with them. Unemployment will pick up very quickly this Spring as businesses start to close and cost cotting begins in earnest. It reads deflation. The place to be when deflation is endemic and recession is widespread is US Treasuries and perhaps Swissies and Yen to a lesser extent. Risky bets such as gold will fall as the flight to safety will be predicated upon deflationary pressures. Gold is an inflationary hedge and driven almost solely by sentiment and fear of inflation. That phase of the market is over.

Nothing goes on rising for ever. Its all cyclical and gold has had a good run. There comes a point when taking profits is wise. As Warren B says--get out while the herd are still rushing in. Not every drop is a buying opportunity otherwise nothing would ever drop.

The black stuff beat the market today. I got out at 4.99 but its still an alluring bet:

I'll have a stab, was it RB?

The place to be when deflation is endemic and recession is widespread is US Treasuries and perhaps Swissies and Yen to a lesser extent. Risky bets such as gold will fall as the flight to safety will be predicated upon deflationary pressures. Gold is an inflationary hedge and driven almost solely by sentiment and fear of inflation. That phase of the market is over.

This is the part i have a problem with.

What makes US treasuries so attractive over gold?

Am i mistaken in thinking that they are actually returning a negative yield?

Who is carrying that market? Foreign countries?

This is the part i have a problem with.

What makes US treasuries so attractive over gold?

Am i mistaken in thinking that they are actually returning a negative yield?

Who is carrying that market? Foreign countries?

Gold is good in bad times -- period. (forget inflation/deflation)

IMO bad times are coming.

It's easier to forsee bad times ahead now than in 1929 or 1968.

I'm not sure whether you guys see the Silver Thread, so I'll post here as well:

It's just occurred to me that we are always waiting and wondering what the PPT are going to do.

Why not be a bit more proactive, and request things ? :D

So, here is my request to the PPT:

SilverJPY_080725_PPT_request.gif

If you can manage that ready for me on Monday morning that would be much appreciated. Thanks Steve :D

-----------

Do you think we should start a PPT Request thread ? :D

ROFL.... :lol:

I'm not sure whether you guys see the Silver Thread, so I'll post here as well:

It's just occurred to me that we are always waiting and wondering what the PPT are going to do.

Why not be a bit more proactive, and request things ? :D

So, here is my request to the PPT:

SilverJPY_080725_PPT_request.gif

If you can manage that ready for me on Monday morning that would be much appreciated. Thanks Steve :D

-----------

Do you think we should start a PPT Request thread ? :D

Do you think I need to email someone ? :lol:

This is an interesting (long) read:

Gold Ambushed by Powerful Forces of Global De-leveraging

Commodities / Gold & Silver Jul 24, 2008 - 02:42 PM

By: Jim_Willie_CB

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article5604.html

GOLD & ITS SUPPORT BOWL

Notice the rounded support bowl that eventually will lift the gold price upward significantly. Notice how the two key moving averages are still rising. The 20-week moving average should offer key support here. The strong long-term trendline points the way still. The MACD cyclical index shows a downside crossover, a minor victory for the evil ones, but actually only a delay. The gold price does not usually benefit from the summer season, and this is no exception. Beware when the summer gives way to autumn, as the gold price will fire beyond the 1000 mark with ease. Reaching 1200 before year end should be easy. Anyone who thinks the bank sector is out of the woods is as stupid as a fence post, as corrupt as a Wall Street bond dealer, or as asleep as Rip Van Winkle.

Also, a very smart lady from San Francisco told me this morning that no contract rollovers in gold & silver will occur between next week and December. Silver will have almost as long an advantage. The evil ones saw some easy money to grab from options over the 930 price, which was ripe for the picking, provided they could corruptly push the gold price down away from 1000. Regulators permit it, all for the greater good.

Also, a very smart lady from San Francisco told me this morning that no contract rollovers in gold & silver will occur between next week and December.

Not quite true - the September silver contract rolls over in three weeks on Friday Aug 15th.

even if we go in to deflation gold is still a winner its what you get for it that matters . i personally think that deflation is a 30% chance with each new write down they push the button and digital money goes though the wire and bingo WOW we have saved the day ! they cant rise rates very much cos all the banks come down which means they have to start bailing out private accounts which is also printing money here in germany up 50000 Euro but you many not even get a loaf of bread for that !!! in the last 40 years money grew in total to the factor of approx 1000 and this leads to a schocking result = global weimar !!

Not quite true - the September silver contract rolls over in three weeks on Friday Aug 15th.

A little more insight into this topic from the Casey Daily Resource:

Instead of the usual NY gold commentator that I post most days, here's an e-mail that was sent to me by a very good friend. It was sent to him...and I'm including it here completely unedited for spelling, grammar, punctuation...or capitals. The guy that wrote this certainly knows his stuff...and probably knows more than I do...so I thought I should share his insights...

"two time frames am working with...

"gold options expiration is on monday, so da boyz are shooting for that close, but think they might have shot their wad a bit early here. i bought 1 part (of potential 4 parts total) on today's (Wednesday - Ed) close... will buy every lower close thru rest of july (thursday) when gold rollover has done.

"but for the *big* move, am trying to hold out til end of august to go "all in"... as that will be silver's last roll before the longer time frame (3 months) for the December contract. any and all big lows by then will be expected to be bullet proof.

"thru the summer, they get to one-two punch the metals with alternating rollovers each end of month, but gold will enjoy December as front month for 4 (count em!) months straight after aug 1st... and silver will join in for 3 months. that's so key to the futures market. everything waxes and wanes with the rolls. and December is only time both gold and silver are on same wavelength.

"luv it.

"just gotta hang in there about 6 more weeks of this silly summer season. :)"

http://www.caseyresearch.com/