This appeared as odd to me. I thought Baird bought gold and produced coins & small bars to sell. So what matters to them is the difference in cost of gold in big quantities versus the price to sell. Why would the price of coins to buy back from the public matter at all ?

Am I getting this wrong, or does Tony's explanation make no sense ?

I think they make bars but not coins. With their own bars they have a limited production capacity so orders go on a waiting list and get filled in 1 to 3 weeks.

As far as coins go, they have difficulty buying new stocks and therefore cannot determine the correct premium to charge. So if I understand correctly, they may have had some coins (probably in limited number) but withheld them until they could buy and determine a premium and also replenish the stock.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

All the ones I ever had were ugly and beaten up - but boy they are solid heavy little buggers! :lol:

(I'm talking about strawberry blondes BTW, not Krugs! :lol: )

haha lol funny. I like that....

My Krugerrands are all 1978 and are mint. Got them from ATS some time ago. All coins Ive had from ATS have been in very good condition. I think the Britannia's are the nicest coins. What do you think?

Price of Gold in inflationary times:

Its generally agreed, that people swap their cash for gold, and so PoG goes up.

Price of Gold in deflationary times:

Simplistically, many people argue the oposite to the above, and suggest people will swap their gold for cash, and so PoG goes down.

However, in the real world, people also have 'assets' (houses, stocks, art,...) - and in deflationary periods these will drop in price. If you then allow for the fact that people often like to 'own assets' as well as cash, then there's every chance they will sell their other assets and buy gold, and so PoG will go up. Then, as it becomes clear that PMs are the only asset class increasing in price, more will swap their other assets for gold - i.e., a self fulfilling prophecy.

I think we're now enterring that period.

Finally, inflation will kick in again in 6-12 months time, due to all the Western money printing (now, and in the past), and thats when gold goes to the stratosphere.

...IMHO!

EDIT: I see the recent heated buying of real gold by the public, and the CB buying spree that's now started, as just a reflection of people realising the above (as 'romans holiday' stated "...even to the sceptics"). And that's a massively important development - because once this realisation is established and widespread, there will be a mad pannick to buy into gold! ...and that widespread realisation is coming about right now !!!

My own view FWIW is that gold could peak Dec/Jan as the world stock markets put in their last bottom and this cyclical bear market in a secular bear market finishes. The deleveraging will be over, the bank failures will be over, the falling stocks prices will be over and inflation will still be falling. At this point stocks are going to be very undervalued with record low p/e ratio's and on top of this central banks will make another big cut - this will set in motion the next cyclical bull market in stocks and gold will likely fall once again.

I can't see any reason why gold should perform well next year if stocks are rising, unemployment is rising, the financial crisis is largely over with the bailouts and inflation continues to fall or be very low. However I also see inflation rising once again in 12 to 18 months time as all the stimulus money printing comes through at which point it will be out of stocks once again and back into gold/commodities until the end with one giant bubble :)

So if I understand correctly, they may have had some coins (probably in limited number) but withheld them until they could buy and determine a premium and also replenish the stock.

Is that the definition of "priceless" ? :D

I wonder how much you'd need to offer before they'd sell :D

OK, maybe that explains it. It seems a bit odd to make bars and not coins. Is that because you need to be a "mint" to make coins?

Please play the whole clip. Bernanke specifically states they only ever discuss gold when central banks want to sell at 5:03. If you believe him I have an Island off the northern coast of France called UK I can sell you.

Enjoy!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NyAm4nzRoMU

It almost looks as if he is making fun of Paul.

Long time no hear.

It took me a while to work out why that looked like the UK but had "$" on the sign.

Then I spotted who the poster was :D

Yes been back to the UK (brrrr, dismal grey bloody, only saw the sun twice in 3 weeks, mutter, mutter) but have now arrived home :-)

Nothing but shorts and running round the lake from now on :-) Glad to be back before the riots start too!

Do you think so, I thought he looked shifty and was obviously uncomfortable.

He was lying we know it and Ron Paul knew he would have to before he even spoke.

Ron Paul is not daft. We now have it on video record which will prove to be useful in the future when the lies become apparent.

Gold Manipulation - Bob Chapman 081121

Added: November 22, 2008

What the HECK is going on with gold and silver? PART 1

Added: November 19, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIb6dWQtX0c

What the HECK is going on with gold and silver? PART 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do8KrwDtxzE

gata intel

Perth Mint fraud continues

Hi Bill

I noticed that the Perth Mint stopped taking orders for physical bullion BUT is still marketing ALLOCATED AND UNALLOCATED bullion!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/busin...337-643,00.html

As I've argued for years, the Perth Mint is running one of the most obvious of all official bullion scams out there.

If anyone holds silver or gold at the Perth Mint they DESERVE to lose it all when gold and silver are finally set free.

What if the allocated gold conists of the big chunky good delivery bars that arent often sold for physical holding.

Would make sense to me.

?

Perth mint is such a benign sleeply little place. I cant imagine anything nefarious going on behind its walls !

On Max Keiser's webcast they were suggesting that the stockmarket and gold rallies on Friday were because of this:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/b...uarantees_N.htm

Federal regulators will guarantee as much as $1.4 trillion in U.S. banks' debt in a bid to get the distressed financial system pumping again.

The announcement's timing coincided with the announcement of Obama's treasury secretary.

Edit:

That didn't sound so big the first time I read it. I prefer to see the zeros $1,400,000,000,000.

1. You must have your assets held anywhere they are in true custodial-ship accounts. That type of account at a bank or broker states clearly that the assets held there are not on the balance sheet of the host financial entity. Those assets are clearly segregated in your name. This must be reviewed by counsel to be sure you have what you think you have. Don’t cheap out. All you have is depending on the validity of true custodial-ship accounts.

Does bullionvault come in this category?

I'm afraid it does. The perfect scenario is bullion in your own hands in a safe at home with no-one knowing you have it. Obviously there are MANY trade-offs all around that, and I guess dollar amounts are a consideration. Next best has tradionally been segregated allocated audited numbered insured storage by companies like viamat, in Zurich. But now I am hearing many whispers that the Swiss are another potential Iceland per GDP/Toxic Debt - see UBS and their problems. The swiss reputation for secret bank accounts is now also trashed as they have cooperated with other countries to snitch on their clients. I will shortly have a substantial amount in Zurich too, but I am not holding my breath long term. It is a bullion pension so I cannot get my sticky mitts on it otherwise it would be at home spread around several locations. Sinclair does have his insider sources so it is is wise to pay attention when he says the next 2 months up to Obombya's crowning will be precarious, to say the least.

It does look rather like a hedge fund, but it also has a $72billion current account surplus (as of 2007).

Great charts and I think you will be proved right - with the stockmarkets at a bottom as they were in early December 1974 when gold peaked, I think gold is likely to fall further as a new cyclical bull market in stocks begins.

Can anyone confirm the status of bullionvault.com? Is it down from the UK?

Via Virgin media I can't connect, the traceroutes disappear affter hitting leve3.net co-lo, however If I login to my work's VPN I have access (but can't run enough to work out how the packets get there.

Anyone else having issues? UK only, ISP specific?

Cheers

Can anyone confirm the status of bullionvault.com? Is it down from the UK?

Via Virgin media I can't connect, the traceroutes disappear affter hitting leve3.net co-lo, however If I login to my work's VPN I have access (but can't run enough to work out how the packets get there.

Anyone else having issues? UK only, ISP specific?

Cheers

sounds like they may have routing/firewall issues then, probably the isp, if so it won't be down long.

late Friday night & Sunday is the best day to upload new rulebase or reboot routers & firewalls without the required sign offs. ;)

edited - it's not up for me, wakefield, UK. It's pinging ok though.

edited 2 - it came up after a couple of mins, very slow.

Great charts and I think you will be proved right - with the stockmarkets at a bottom as they were in early December 1974 when gold peaked, I think gold is likely to fall further as a new cyclical bull market in stocks begins.

Doesn't look like it has been falling in GBP and lots of other currencies. Which country are you from Catflap? I am guessing the UK by your avatar.

UKGOLD.png