Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

The pleasant tolerant atmosphere on GEI has defiantly returned since the exodus. I just hope that we can now recognise the problem for what it was and implement some guidelines and basic posting rules to stop the site from being trolled, without the usual 'your a nazi trying to control me' type comments from those who wish to shut down debate.

I think that Pixil8r will do well on the new forum, I can see what he is trying to do and I think there can be a friendly cross over between both sites. But even Pix has now recognised the need for some basic rules for posting standards, and the need to edit threads, keep thread on topic and delete offensive comments. Funny when people suggested that here they were labeled control freaks, nazis, dictators etc.. It would be good to hear Pixil8r input and the lessons he has learnt, the posting standard that Pixil8r is applying would be good to see at GEI.

GEI was a party/investor meeting that was taking place on DrBubbs property, it was a good place open to all, but eventually a few trolls crashed the party and lowered the standards and when people complained about their behaviour, it was claimed that the problem was that the older posters were intolerant towards free speech and that it was the older posters calling for standards that were the problem. So many of the older posters left.

Eventually the only active posters were the trolls who had no one else left to blame for the state of the forum so they decided to blame the host DrBubb, this is an untenable position to hold for any period of time and I almost expected DrBubb to pull the plug on the whole site. Fortunately Pixil8r led an exodus to a new forum and is now encountering all the old problems that we used to have here. It seems the trolls are now turning on him, I just hope they don't all come crawling back here. But if they do then we should put some posting standards in place to prevent things going back to how they were.

Trolling leaves a site feeling paranoid, and sometimes this will make posters suspicious towards new posters and treat them harshly, there is nothing wrong with being a gold bug ( I am one myself) but trolling and abusive posting and spaming should not be tolerated.

Good post enrieb and bang on

Amazing how this place instantly changed as soon as 24k was set up?

The problem always was swampy. In many ways a take my hat off to him on his ability to manipulate a large group of people into doing his dirty work.

Its just a shame that this group of people do not have the ability to step back and see when they are being manipulated

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pleasant tolerant atmosphere on GEI has defiantly returned since the exodus. I just hope that we can now recognise the problem for what it was and implement some guidelines and basic posting rules to stop the site from being trolled, without the usual 'your a nazi trying to control me' type comments from those who wish to shut down debate.

I think that Pixil8r will do well on the new forum, I can see what he is trying to do and I think there can be a friendly cross over between both sites. But even Pix has now recognised the need for some basic rules for posting standards, and the need to edit threads, keep thread on topic and delete offensive comments. Funny when people suggested that here they were labeled control freaks, nazis, dictators etc.. It would be good to hear Pixil8r input and the lessons he has learnt, the posting standard that Pixil8r is applying would be good to see at GEI.

GEI was a party/investor meeting that was taking place on DrBubbs property, it was a good place open to all, but eventually a few trolls crashed the party and lowered the standards and when people complained about their behaviour, it was claimed that the problem was that the older posters were intolerant towards free speech and that it was the older posters calling for standards that were the problem. So many of the older posters left.

Eventually the only active posters were the trolls who had no one else left to blame for the state of the forum so they decided to blame the host DrBubb, this is an untenable position to hold for any period of time and I almost expected DrBubb to pull the plug on the whole site. Fortunately Pixil8r led an exodus to a new forum and is now encountering all the old problems that we used to have here. It seems the trolls are now turning on him, I just hope they don't all come crawling back here. But if they do then we should put some posting standards in place to prevent things going back to how they were.

Trolling leaves a site feeling paranoid, and sometimes this will make posters suspicious towards new posters and treat them harshly, there is nothing wrong with being a gold bug ( I am one myself) but trolling and abusive posting and spaming should not be tolerated.

trolls......

was that really the right word to use enrieb ? surprising coming from you tbh.

so who are you labelling as a troll then ?

as lowrent would say: absolute power corrupts, absolutely.

I do however agree that limits need to be agreed otherwise we wouldn't be humans. Deciding the level has always been history's great problem....yes ?

Good post enrieb and bang on

Amazing how this place instantly changed as soon as 24k was set up?

The problem always was swampy. In many ways a take my hat off to him on his ability to manipulate a large group of people into doing his dirty work.

Its just a shame that this group of people do not have the ability to step back and see when they are being manipulated

far from it, he leads by example imo......is it wrong to argue & discuss ??

I think he is a very, very genuine & trustworthy guy, but then I have had lot's of private email exchanges with him so also see a different side. I trust him more than most real life people & yet we have never met. I am a very good judge of people imho.

Just think on this, if someone you weren't sure about as a poster suddenly told you he had the same hobby as you, would you still have the same opinion? or would it soften you just slightly & make your next response to a post slightly different perhaps. Apply the same logic to investment strategies......

that first day/week in the office is the most important one remember, it can make or break you. What's worse someone with an opinion or someone without one ?

Just to clarify, we don't have the same hobbies at all.

just remember who started the 'Gold bugs clawing at the sky' thread.....

was there a 'Fiat clawing at the sky' thread before it.......NO.

so then ask yourself, why posters & site owners who dislike arguing & mocking, put a thread together like that, then change the title & change it back, denying it had ever changed....

now tell me again....

who do YOU trust ??

I know who I trust.

far from it, he leads by example imo......is it wrong to argue & discuss ??

I think he is a very, very genuine & trustworthy guy, but then I have had lot's of private email exchanges with him so also see a different side. I trust him more than most real life people & yet we have never met. I am a very good judge of people imho.

Just think on this, if someone you weren't sure about as a poster suddenly told you he had the same hobby as you, would you still have the same opinion? or would it soften you just slightly & make your next response to a post slightly different perhaps. Apply the same logic to investment strategies......

that first day/week in the office is the most important one remember, it can make or break you. What's worse someone with an opinion or someone without one ?

Just to clarify, we don't have the same hobbies at all.

Apologies GOM i cant give you a decent reply...just on my way out

In short, he is playing you like an old fiddle mate and you just cant see it.

You have backed him to the hilt and he has repeatedly made you look a complete idiot by trashing this forum one evening (remember Leslie Phillips?)

Not the kind of friend that i would choose if i am honest

Apologies GOM i cant give you a decent reply...just on my way out

In short, he is playing you like an old fiddle mate and you just cant see it.

You have backed him to the hilt and he has repeatedly made you look a complete idiot by trashing this forum one evening (remember Leslie Phillips?)

Not the kind of friend that i would choose if i am honest

no probs & no reply needed tbh. I think we have both said what we needed to. :)

ps - don't forget the chocolate & crisps (well it is Friday after all), otherwise Mrs havipark will be extremely annoyed with you. :unsure:

no probs & no reply needed tbh. I think we have both said what we needed to. :)

ps - don't forget the chocolate & crisps (well it is Friday after all), otherwise Mrs havipark will be extremely annoyed with you. :unsure:

Not meant to offend, just trying to do you a favour and open your eyes but unfortunately you wont listen.

All the best

just remember who started the 'Gold bugs clawing at the sky' thread.....

was there a 'Fiat clawing at the sky' thread before it.......NO.

so then ask yourself, why posters & site owners who dislike arguing & mocking, put a thread together like that, then change the title & change it back, denying it had ever changed....

now tell me again....

who do YOU trust ??

I know who I trust.

Well, loads and loads of threads having a go at fiat in its many forms.

Here's just some

Sterling knocking on the gates of hell, (combined with the "Pound is Toast" thread)

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....dollar+collapse

Dollar may be done here - Be careful, The countdown to November 7th

The DOLLAR BUGS and general PAPER BUGS thread, Are there some nutters among us? Let's discuss.

New slide imminent for GBP?, H&S pattern and King's words of weakness

The demise of the dollar, Arab states to stop using the US currency for oil trading

Loads of them if you look, yet we get one thread have an itsy bitsy attack on the short term future of gold and wow it's WW3.

Well, loads and loads of threads having a go at fiat in its many forms.

Here's just some

Sterling knocking on the gates of hell, (combined with the "Pound is Toast" thread)

Dollar may be done here - Be careful, The countdown to November 7th

The DOLLAR BUGS and general PAPER BUGS thread, Are there some nutters among us? Let's discuss.

New slide imminent for GBP?, H&S pattern and King's words of weakness

The demise of the dollar, Arab states to stop using the US currency for oil trading

Loads of them if you look, yet we get one thread have an itsy bitsy attack on the short term future of gold and wow it's WW3.

correct me if I am wrong, but the threads you quote are aimed at the asset not the investor ??

Bubbs thread was aimed at both in the title. Still didn't explain the changes & changed back, then deny it ever changed bit though......

like I said, I kniow who I trust.

correct me if I am wrong, but the threads you quote are aimed at the asset not the investor ??

Bubbs thread was aimed at both in the title. Still didn't explain the changes & changed back, then deny it ever changed bit though......

I think you have a fair point here GOM. We have to apply the same standards to everyone to make this work.

I remember the episode to which you refer and it was completely bizzare. I suppose we have all lost it at some point.

In the end I do not really care that much. We are a bunch of nutters.

So are you saying that none of these threads and others like it are aimed at investors in paper? I would say that they were aimed at both the asset and the investor as the usual end message is that people should be in gold and silver. Nothing wrong in that, just as there is nothing wrong in people occasionally questioning gold, even if it is only a short term prediction. There are many, in fact the majority of threads on here are positive towards gold and silver and negative towards fiat and its investors.

No doubt you have seen the action at that site. At least now you are not amongst the worst moderators any more. :D your crown has been taken in an absolute autocratic style that has made even the hardened virtual posters like myself wince with shock. :o

that's exactly why I don't post there [24k news] - the interference would drive me insane.

Bubb may repeatedly advocate theft and violence*, but at least he has never moved/edited/deleted any of my posts/threads, so I have no complaints about him (purely as a forum owner), other than the swampy stuff.

*and you are of course free to reply to such nonsensical posts

But even Pix has now recognised the need for some basic rules for posting standards, and the need to edit threads, keep thread on topic and delete offensive comments.

watching forum owners trying to control debate without stifling it is a bit like watching statists trying to control markets without wrecking them.

it never ends well. :(

rather than trying to impose on all posters what they can't read (by deleting a poster's entire account so no-one can read it) it would be better if posters choose individually who's posts they don't want to read.

that's why the site has an ignore button. ;)

There is a fine line between being an advocate of a particular position and becoming evangelical about it.

There are those like RH and Dr Bubb who appreciate the peculiar qualities of gold and who are advocates of holding gold, but have not crossed the line into religious zealotry.

It's a peculiar phenomenon, this move from advocacy to religious zealotry - it occurs in the AGW debate, too. Some people just seem to be incapable of supporting a particular position without becoming involved in a religious/faith type way to the point that there is no debate possible - they simply close their ears to any alternative view and, worse still, become very angry when an alternative view is proposed. Strange.....at least, it is to me. I relish opposing and differing views - it is only through considering extremes and differences of opinion that I find I am able to work out a position for myself.

It is a real shame when religious zealotry takes over since stifles debate and all too often fuels rancour

Anyway, dem dere's my observations!

And while I'm about it, thanks for this site, Dr Bubb - I have learned an enormous amount from reading your views and those of other regular posters. I'm grateful to you for your time and effort and £sd you put into running this site and for the opportunity to learn from you - and others.

trolls......

was that really the right word to use enrieb ? surprising coming from you tbh.

so who are you labelling as a troll then ?

as lowrent would say: absolute power corrupts, absolutely.

I do however agree that limits need to be agreed otherwise we wouldn't be humans. Deciding the level has always been history's great problem....yes ?

Its precisely the right word to use, you're trolling this thread right now. Thats not a label and its not ad hominen its fair comment. The majority of your posts in this thread are adding no content to a thread that is supposed to be about the 'long term direction of the site' and gauging opinion from 'the loyal posters', not the ones that ran off to join a new forum. Your just trying to resurrect the same old arguments about control, an amateur form of reverse psychology to shut down and limit a debate about taking action on unacceptable posting behaviour.

You posted a picture of someone with egg on their face and linked it vaguely with DrBubb and No6 when in reality it is you who have the egg on your face after messaging all the 'true believers' and encouraging them to quit GEI and join a 24k. Inadvertently you have done us all a favour and shown us what the site is like without the trolls. You talk about 'trust' yet you have betrayed any trust shown in you by your actions to undermine GEI and now towards Pixil8r with your vague insults towards his moderation. 24k can be a good site in addition to GEI and be a home for posters who are uber bullish on gold, theres no need for both sites to become opposed and create bad feeling.

There is a fine line between being an advocate of a particular position and becoming evangelical about it.

There are those like RH and Dr Bubb who appreciate the peculiar qualities of gold and who are advocates of holding gold, but have not crossed the line into religious zealotry.

It's a peculiar phenomenon, this move from advocacy to religious zealotry - it occurs in the AGW debate, too. Some people just seem to be incapable of supporting a particular position without becoming involved in a religious/faith type way to the point that there is no debate possible - they simply close their ears to any alternative view and, worse still, become very angry when an alternative view is proposed. Strange.....at least, it is to me. I relish opposing and differing views - it is only through considering extremes and differences of opinion that I find I am able to work out a position for myself.

It is a real shame when religious zealotry takes over since stifles debate and all too often fuels rancour

or a better understanding of history & geo-politics, as I like to call it. ;)

I mean Bubb & Steve Netwriter only just realised that global warming, sorry climate change ;) is a big scam. As swampy said I am not sure if Bubb knows it & because of the sites VI wants to benefit from it or whether he doesn't realise it also ??

can I just add, Bubb's vision of O'Bama..... :lol: :lol: ffs, it took me about 2 weeks of digging & reading to see through him. I even suspected he was a new bush straight away & posted my thoughts on the O'Bama thread, you know the one where ALL swampy's posts on exactly this topic to Bubb got deleted. ;)

Its precisely the right word to use, you're trolling this thread right now. Thats not a label and its not ad hominen its fair comment. The majority of your posts in this thread are adding no content to a thread that is supposed to be about the 'long term direction of the site' and gauging opinion from 'the loyal posters', not the ones that ran off to join a new forum. Your just trying to resurrect the same old arguments about control, an amateur form of reverse psychology to shut down and limit a debate about taking action on unacceptable posting behaviour.

You posted a picture of someone with egg on their face and linked it vaguely with DrBubb and No6 when in reality it is you who have the egg on your face after messaging all the 'true believers' and encouraging them to quit GEI and join a 24k. Inadvertently you have done us all a favour and shown us what the site is like without the trolls. You talk about 'trust' yet you have betrayed any trust shown in you by your actions to undermine GEI and now towards Pixil8r with your vague insults towards his moderation. 24k can be a good site in addition to GEI and be a home for posters who are uber bullish on gold, theres no need for both sites to become opposed and create bad feeling.

this is not your usual tone enrieb, you are starting to sound bitter.......??

that's exactly why I don't post there [24k news] - the interference would drive me insane.

Bubb may repeatedly advocate theft and violence*, but at least he has never moved/edited/deleted any of my posts/threads, so I have no complaints about him (purely as a forum owner), other than the swampy stuff.

*and you are of course free to reply to such nonsensical posts

watching forum owners trying to control debate without stifling it is a bit like watching statists trying to control markets without wrecking them.

it never ends well. :(

rather than trying to impose on all posters what they can't read (by deleting a poster's entire account so no-one can read it) it would be better if posters choose individually who's posts they don't want to read.

that's why the site has an ignore button. ;)

ah, ok thanks for that IRS, I had wondered why.

which asset group are angry & panicking, & which are content with their stance even with the fall ?

I don't see one physical ;) silver/gold holding poster complaining or panicking (although we would obviously like it to go up in a straight line)

But this is just a healthy correction.

And much anticipated by many gold bull veterans. :P

Is anyone here prepared to call this secular gold bull at an end? And I mean at a secular end, not just some short- or medium-term correction.

The rats are dancing on the table when the Piper is asleep. :lol:

LOL.

In this case, the Rats may have induced the Piper to jump in the water.

But so far, he is only up to his ankles in water, nit yet undferwater

oh, forgot to ask, how does one become a 'loyal GEIer' ??

when do the special clubs start ?

I want a life with differing opinion, that's how I learn. I don't think swampy or myself are 'trolls'

I have never been called a troll......h'mmm

Shame we can't accept there is always a different point of view, as only a fool considers one side of an argument. Something from lurking on the new site they happily recognised and wanted. Beats me why some would harass to the point of submission an alternative view.

Answer: Basic insecurity.

They dont want cherished beliefs to be questioned

But this is just a healthy correction.

And much anticipated by many gold bull veterans. :P

Is anyone here prepared to call this secular gold bull at an end? And I mean at a secular end, not just some short- or medium-term correction.

I can give you an approx bottom if you like, when it hits approx $1050 or the Indian Floor as it's known. ;)

I would have preferred it to have been the Chinese Floor though I must admit, so my % certainty is lower of course.....

there are those saying $870, but they have a lot of dollars they need to get rid of & some bonds/stocks etc......you know, all paper stuff.....

Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

Do you miss the FOPPs?

========================================

Good riddance to the 1-way Gold rampers !

Those that left were creating too much friction here, and the site is running better.

(Frankly, I got sick and tired of running a free website and dealing with so many battles.

No doubt, some of the conflict was designed to destroy the good feeling on this website,

and make people eager to try a new home. When I first realised that, I was rather angry.

But to be honest, I have better things to do with my time than worry about what Jim Sinclair

and his over-enthused followers think.)

I much prefer those who want a balanced view to a Gold cheering circle.

BTW, I made some nice gains on some of those stocks, like SLW, that I bought below $4.00.

Also, since September, I made a 4x-5x bagger on one of my larger positions. But I didnt tell

everyone in the world they had to jump in, and were "evil" not to be buying.

The next big opportunity may be in Juniors, possibly as early as January, if things line up right.

This thread is a good place to have a discussion about the future of the website, and whether

anyone here misses the FOPPs and their arguments.

Spot on Bubb. I much appreciate GEI and personally just ignore those who seem to have an inflexible take on events or an over-confident idea of their ability to predict the future. Maybe the best policy is just to keep quiet and let folks who want to big up their group-think get on with it on their own. After all if a dissenting voices is savaged, why bother to raise it. Like economic policy often the best thing is masterly inactivity.

Sorry if this point has been made already. I'm catching up and don't have time to read the whole thread at the moment. (So this post might be ill-timed for some, in which case I'll adopt my approach of slective listening).

Actually I'm in Copenhagen for a few days, coincidentally just down the road from the Global Warming Rally. Ironically the weather is bitterly cold and snow has come earlier than usual. A nice joke from Mother Nature? If I can get there I'll report back on the shivering but surprised crowds.

Archived