Suggestions from loyal GEI-ers about the site's direction

Apologies to Harvipark

I posted in a hurry, and left out the crucial word: "NOT", now added above

Please note my apology for a silly typo, leaving a word out.

I value your postings here !

Thanks for the vote of confidence and no offence taken. I assumed it was a typo so no problem

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
S.,

Your posts can have "sharp edges", at times. Perhaps that is what he meant,

plus a bit of teasing. If you had taken it that way, he would have meant it that way, I reckon.

He took my typo mildly, and I think no damage was done, where none was intended

My comment to schablin did make me smile yes, but I will explain a bit further.

Shaublin is one of those posters that are disrupting this forum

Any attempt to make him see reason and request he behave in a civilised manner is usually met with another personal attack, so i thought that maybe being blunt with him might get the message through.

It was the "fawning" remark that he made to you that prompted me to post that as i considered it to be deliberatly provocative/disrespectful etc

I hope Schablin understood that and will reform his behaviour but i very much doubt it

Has a post been deleted from this thread?

I'm sure there was a post (Agent W00???) on here this morning that isn't here now?

Sylvester sent me a note saying he had been suspended for 24 hours, and deleted an offensive posting.

I havent seen it, and so cannot comment, except to say that I will support Sylvester, who I believe to have good

judgement, and honest motives.

Sylvester sent me a note saying he had been suspended for 24 hours, and deleted an offensive posting.

I havent seen it, and so cannot comment, except to say that I will support Sylvester, who I believe to have good

judgement, and honest motives.

Phew, not hallucinating then!! ;)

Although I'm personally against censorship, it was a particularly vicious and pointless attack on a member of this forum.

be very careful wrt applying labels that were created so that a profession could exist.

This science <_< was created so that governments could dispose of people who did not agree with them.

This has been covered on GEI before:

edit - wasn't it Bubb who labelled swampy as bi-polar ?? if not someone did....

I dont want to get into the Government conspiracy theorist side of things. There may be some truth in this but I am talking about people that we meet in everyday life. From my experience, this is not a "created profession" but a very real problem that many people are unaware of until they have to deal with the carnage left in the wake of the sociopath

I would agree in many ways that psychiatry is just as much an art as a science and that misdiagnosis is common. This is what i was getting at with this statement.....

You can study the subject ad nauseum, but you will never really grasp the concept until you are closely involved with someone with one of these personality disorders

Psychiatrists can have the theoretical knowledge of Narcissism (NPD)/Sociopathy (APD), but unless you have first hand experience of this disorder, it is very difficult to diagnose in cases where the NPD/APD is exceptionally clever

Also there is a need to distinguish between the mentally ill and the personality disordered. Someone who is mentally ill knows that they are ill and will often voluntarily seek help (such as schizophrenia). The personality disordered Narcissist/Sociopath doesnt see any problem with their behaviour and any attempt to reason or correct the behaviour problems is usually a waste of time.....(sound like anyone on GEI?) Its usually those that are closely involved with these people that go slowly mad!

Most people who form friendships/partnerships do this through an emotional bond with another person. In the case of the NPD/APD, this emotional response is absent, so in effect they dont understand the concept of friends or a loving relationship. So the "friendship" with the NPD/APD is usually a false one! The friendship is a predatory one where the NPD/APD selects targets for manipulation.

So cut to the chase.....

Typical NPD/APD behaviour is to firstly select the target. These are normally open, trusting well adjusted individuals and open to manipulation. They are hit with the extreme charm offensive and targets often report that they have met their new best friend. This is just another form of manipulation to gain trust....or another word for it is "grooming"

Once the NPD/APD has the targets' trust, then manipulation starts. The target will then comply without question to any request made of him (such as disrupting internet forums on their behalf ;):rolleyes: )

Any attempt to challenge the NPD/APD's authority will be met with angry outbursts, put downs, humiliation, ridicule and possibly violence (another form of manipulation)

Once the NPD/APD has no further use for the target, they will then be discarded as if they never existed

So GOM, can i ask you if this description reminds you of anyone?............. have you recently met someone who you consider to be your new best friend?

Going back to my post yesterday, are you sure you are not being "played like an old fiddle?"

Hope this helps and no offence intended

People take everything too seriously. The zealots (on both sides) should be allowed to post as long as they refrain from abuse/rudeness etc.

Read the arguments (be they simplistic or complex) and take your own strategy. I hardly think there is an issue with mind-control or hypnotism here.

i agree, its only the internet!

i don't know how some people can manage in real life if they feel the need to insult and get angry when they encounter an opinion they don't agree with!

I dont want to get into the Government conspiracy theorist side of things. There may be some truth in this but I am talking about people that we meet in everyday life. From my experience, this is not a "created profession" but a very real problem that many people are unaware of until they have to deal with the carnage left in the wake of the sociopath

I would agree in many ways that psychiatry is just as much an art as a science and that misdiagnosis is common. This is what i was getting at with this statement.....

You can study the subject ad nauseum, but you will never really grasp the concept until you are closely involved with someone with one of these personality disorders

Psychiatrists can have the theoretical knowledge of Narcissism (NPD)/Sociopathy (APD), but unless you have first hand experience of this disorder, it is very difficult to diagnose in cases where the NPD/APD is exceptionally clever

Also there is a need to distinguish between the mentally ill and the personality disordered. Someone who is mentally ill knows that they are ill and will often voluntarily seek help (such as schizophrenia). The personality disordered Narcissist/Sociopath doesnt see any problem with their behaviour and any attempt to reason or correct the behaviour problems is usually a waste of time.....(sound like anyone on GEI?) Its usually those that are closely involved with these people that go slowly mad!

Most people who form friendships/partnerships do this through an emotional bond with another person. In the case of the NPD/APD, this emotional response is absent, so in effect they dont understand the concept of friends or a loving relationship. So the "friendship" with the NPD/APD is usually a false one! The friendship is a predatory one where the NPD/APD selects targets for manipulation.

So cut to the chase.....

Typical NPD/APD behaviour is to firstly select the target. These are normally open, trusting well adjusted individuals and open to manipulation. They are hit with the extreme charm offensive and targets often report that they have met their new best friend. This is just another form of manipulation to gain trust....or another word for it is "grooming"

Once the NPD/APD has the targets' trust, then manipulation starts. The target will then comply without question to any request made of him (such as disrupting internet forums on their behalf ;):rolleyes: )

Any attempt to challenge the NPD/APD's authority will be met with angry outbursts, put downs, humiliation, ridicule and possibly violence (another form of manipulation)

Once the NPD/APD has no further use for the target, they will then be discarded as if they never existed

So GOM, can i ask you if this description reminds you of anyone?............. have you recently met someone who you consider to be your new best friend?

Going back to my post yesterday, are you sure you are not being "played like an old fiddle?"

Hope this helps and no offence intended

Fascinating - thnx 4 posting

chat forums must provide the perfect environment for those with npd e.g. personal physical attributes are meaningless whereas the 'online presence and persona' can be a totally false construct

What a time to get too busy at work to read or post.

Pixel8r gets a PM site running (I really hope that it goes well for him), GEI quietens down back to where it should be (well done in finally getting the moderation working Dr.B), Swamps schizophrenia swings from nice to persecution and he tries to trash another forum (I really do wish that he gets some professional help), some of the better posters have gone (some will be sadly missed), others have come back or started posting again and we have some new posters as well.

Is the site going in the right direction, nobody knows that is the beauty of exploration :D

Is the site going in the right direction, nobody knows that is the beauty of exploration :D

And the question comes again:

What new things can we, will we... be exploring here

The idea of What is Wealth, and how to increase it?

...interests me

What other questions might be worth exploring on GEI?

Fascinating - thnx 4 posting

chat forums must provide the perfect environment for those with npd e.g. personal physical attributes are meaningless whereas the 'online presence and persona' can be a totally false construct

Thanks for the reply and i agree its both fascinating and disturbing

Something else i forgot to mention is that the NPD/APD are usually compulsive liars and as they lack the emotional/empathy/compassion element, they are exremely good at it and can lie without remorse. They make ideal politicians!! You also mentioned earlier that allegations of lying had been made against certain posters on 24k..........coincidence? I am not in the least bit surprised to hear this.

A couple of stories in the news recently. Vanessa George who was jailed for the Plymouth child sex abuse scandal was part of an online paedophile ring. I thinks its entirely possible she was the target of a Sociopath who manipulated her into commiting child abuse at the nursery where she worked (i suspect it could have been the guy based in nottingham)

Also, Maxine Carr, partner of the Soham killer Ian Huntley who defended him up to the end. She eventually realised what Huntley was and turned against him....too late and much to her cost

Having said that, these are my thoughts and i could be entirely wrong, and i am in no way defending the appalling crimes these women committed

And the question comes again:

What new things can we, will we... be exploring here

The idea of What is Wealth, and how to increase it?

...interests me

What other questions might be worth exploring on GEI?

What is wealth differs from person to person so it would be hard or even perhaps impossible to quantify and measure and only each individual can measure the value of their wealth. I cannot think of any financial instrument that is not discussed here and I think that just about every strategy has been covered as well.

This is most probably why people have been banging heads because we now just circling awaiting the next peice of news that will provide us with discussion points.

What is wealth differs from person to person so it would be hard or even perhaps impossible to quantify and measure and only each individual can measure the value of their wealth. I cannot think of any financial instrument that is not discussed here and I think that just about every strategy has been covered as well.

This is most probably why people have been banging heads because we now just circling awaiting the next peice of news that will provide us with discussion points.

Wealth = an elegant sufficiency, or so someone told me many moons ago!

Not too much lest one becomes totally hedonistic, and not too little so that one is forced to steal to survive. Just an elegant sufficiency wherewith one remains conscious of one's blessings and the needs of one's neighbour.

Wealth = an elegant sufficiency, or so someone told me many moons ago!

Not too much lest one becomes totally hedonistic, and not too little so that one is forced to steal to survive. Just an elegant sufficiency wherewith one remains conscious of one's blessings and the needs of one's neighbour.

Just the right amount, the middle and you would not have financial wealth, you could not claim to be wealthy, just average.

Years ago when I was new to chat boards I sometimes wondered whether the internet brings out the worst people or just the worst in people.

Thankfully not so often, but sometimes people seem to behave in ways which they would not do at all in a face-to-face situation.

Keeping a cool head in the face of chat board rudeness is a virtue to be encouraged.

Just the right amount, the middle and you would not have financial wealth, you could not claim to be wealthy, just average.

But if the concept of wealth extends beyond just material possessions (including money) and includes such abstracts as happiness and peace and contentment, then perhaps being somewhere in the middle financially is a better place to be when it comes to measuring wealth.

But if the concept of wealth extends beyond just material possessions (including money) and includes such abstracts as happiness and peace and contentment, then perhaps being somewhere in the middle financially is a better place to be when it comes to measuring wealth.

As Dr. B's initial post was related to finance I kept it in the financial vein but if you want to include the non-material forms of wealth then I would still like to be very wealthy and the middle would not be the better place to be. As my Dad always used to say:-

“I would rather be happy and poor than unhappy and rich but I would prefer to be happy and rich rather than unhappy and poor”

As Dr. B's initial post was related to finance I kept it in the financial vein but if you want to include the non-material forms of wealth then I would still like to be very wealthy and the middle would not be the better place to be. As my Dad always used to say:-

“I would rather be happy and poor than unhappy and rich but I would prefer to be happy and rich rather than unhappy and poor”

Ahh, wealth with wisdom! For surely only wisdom can bring a stewardship of wealth that promotes happiness.

I have high hopes for my grandson who has either presciently or optimistically been named Solomon!

What a time to get too busy at work to read or post.

Pixel8r gets a PM site running (I really hope that it goes well for him), GEI quietens down back to where it should be (well done in finally getting the moderation working Dr.B), Swamps schizophrenia swings from nice to persecution and he tries to trash another forum (I really do wish that he gets some professional help), some of the better posters have gone (some will be sadly missed), others have come back or started posting again and we have some new posters as well.

i think a lot of posters should cut pixel some slack to tbh - if you read through this whole thread and see some of the comments you would think the guy has committed some heinous crime; whereas the reality of the situation is - his inexperience in moderating a forum was plain to see but it's only been going for 2 weeks ffs!

i guess there are some posters here that think starting a forum from scratch and accommodating a relatively high number of diverse posters in such a short space of time is easy. Talk about steep learning curve! Add to that trying to have some quality home time as well (if at all!) and running your own business, it doesn't bode well for managing stress levels. Pix can defend himself no doubt (and I am sure he will in time), but personally speaking i think some posters are being far to hard on him.

i have started a thread on 24k where pixel has responded to criticisms i put to him here

as for the 24k / gei split, this is a bogus construct - as many posters have pointed out, gei is all the better for it. However, Dr. Bubb has been generous and tolerant with this site and there is no denying that.

Archived